Start by marking “A Place Called Wiregrass” as Want to Read:
A Place Called Wiregrass

A Place Called Wiregrass

3.8  ·  Rating details ·  415 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
Erma Lee is on the run . . . Running from an abusive husband . . . running from a mother who doesn't care -- never cared. Running from a soul-numbing factory job that has held her down her entire life ...

Erma Lee and her granddaughter, Cher, flee to the town of Wiregrass, Alabama, to escape the past and start over -- or so Erma Lee thinks. Erma Lee forms an unlikely friend
Published June 1st 2004 by HarperOne (first published April 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about A Place Called Wiregrass, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Place Called Wiregrass

Jaime
Jun 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
This was an excellent first novel. I found Erma Lee’s actions and thoughts very believable, considering what her life has been like. I did get a little frustrated with some of her behavior, and the book gets a little god preachy in the middle, but the rest of the book makes up for it. A sad but hopeful ending.
Maelynn Hatfield
If you are from the south, you will love this book! I actually had the opportunity to meet this author and he is awesome!
Lori
Apr 12, 2009 marked it as to-read
So far this is a great book. I have had it laying around in different places in the house since I received it in the mail from paperbackswap.com. I was taking it to our over-flowing bookshelf when I decided that I would give it a whirl while I was "trying" to read The Story of O ("O" was difficult to read given that it is translated from a text written decades ago). I am glad I have picked it up, but it is slow going for just a bit on my end (not the book because it is great). I hope to finish i ...more
Lajuan
Mar 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
The subject of this book is not one I would normally pick but once I started reading I could not put the book down. Michael Morris is an excellent writter. The characters seemed as real to me as the people next door. I plan on ready all of his books.
Victoria Bylin
Jun 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
I finished reading this book just in time for Monday's Book Club meeting. It'll be interesting to hear what 10 or so different women have to say, which of the characters we relate to, and how the book does (or doesn't) reflect our individual experiences.
K.T. Archer
Sep 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
I was fearful Mr. Morris wouldn't be able to pull off a book whose main characters are women but delighted he did.
Rosie
Feb 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very good
Stephanie
Mar 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Erma Lee and her granddaughter Cher need refuge. Wiregrass, Alabama seems as good a place as any. If they can only get a little bit a head while keeping all the ugliness behind them things will work out. The problem is that for every step forward they take, they also take 2 steps backward. Only through friendship, swallowing pride and faith can they begin making gains on a new life.
Anita
Jul 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those books I didn't want to end. I had come to know the characters and they felt like old friends. I could hear their voices as I read. The author's descriptive, poignant writing style made me feel as though I was there. Even after the book was placed back on the shelf, my heart was still in Wiregrass, AL.
Annette
Oct 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
A good story although the plot becomes somewhat depressing at times. Erma Lee is a fighter, but she has so much of her past to overcome. Miss Claudia is also a fighter and together they help heal one another.
Mary-Frances
Apr 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
I waffled between 3 and 4 stars of this, but it was probably more my mood than the book that swayed it to 3, so I went with a 4.
The characters were great, the plot was good, but the domestic violence scenes kind of took a certain mood. They were heart-wrenching at best.
Arinn Wardell
Jul 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author truly captured a small southern town. The way Erma Lee has the courage to pick up and move and start a new life for herself and her granddaughter, is an inspiring story. The story is a true uplifting story.
Kay
May 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved this poignant story by a Southern author.
Andie Lipcon
Jan 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
this was a wonderful surprise of a book.
Barb
Dec 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Erma Lee is running from her abusive husband with her granddaughter Cher. She goes to a town called Wiregrass and meets Miss Claudia. Sad, heartwarming book.
Midge
Oct 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Good book about 2 women from different social and economic styles but have 1 thing in common so become best friends.
Julieb
Aug 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Characters seemed so genuine. A little preachy but a good read.
Pamela
Jul 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great read! Since I grew up in the Wiregrass area I loved this book. Well written with a wonderful message.
Karen Linton
Oct 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
So well done!
Donna
Sep 21, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: michael-morris
It was not as good as the review said it would be in my opinion.
Pam
Jul 03, 2008 marked it as to-read
Shelves: alabama, fiction
06/29/08 purchase from library book sale room
Pjbookhoarder
Feb 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars, a VERY good read. Love this author and will look for more. Southern fiction.
Penny
Apr 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Really liked the characters in this one.
Jen
May 08, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011-reads
A pretty decent read although in a few places it got a little slow.
Linda
Mar 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
A very moving story about 2 strong female characters that meet and find out how much they need each other.
Wendy
Apr 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2007
Ermalee, Miss Claudia, wife abuse, drugs, cancer
Leorah
Sep 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Emotionally satisfying...just what I needed.
Carol Smith
Nov 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Uplifting

A very touching book about new beginnings and mended pasts. Michael Morris does a great job of making the characters come to life.
Debi
Feb 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
I liked this book in spite of its religious message.
Lindsey Curtis
May 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A Place Called Wiregrass is one of my favorite books!
  • Cotton Song: A Novel
  • The Penny Whistle
  • This One and Magic Life: A Novel of a Southern Family
  • The Good Journey
  • Mother Knows Best: The Natural Way to Train Your Dog
  • Dairy Queen Days
  • See Jane Win: The Rimm Report On How 1,000 Girls Became Successful Women
  • Summer in Mossy Creek (Mossy Creek, #3)
  • Summertime
  • The Suitcases
  • Sometimes I Dream in Italian
  • The Colour of Hope
  • Dog Training For Dummies
A fifth-generation native of Perry, Florida, Michael Morris knows Southern culture and characters. They are the foundation and inspiration for the stories he writes.

His latest novel, Man in the Blue Moon, is based on a true story about a man on the run for murder who was shipped in a crate to his grandfather's family in the Florida Panhandle. The novel was named one of the Best Books of 2012 by P
More about Michael Morris

• Drawing Lessons
  • Revolution 2020
  • A General Theory of Oblivion
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Ya-Yas in Bloom (Ya Yas, #3)
  • The Bloom Girls
  • Pope Joan
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Breakdown: A Love Story
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Blaze of Glory (Civil War: 1861-1865, Western Theater, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Silver Music Box (The Silver Music Box series Book 1)
  • Peak
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Wolf Hall (Thomas Cromwell, #1)
    $9.99 $3.99
  • Big Nate: In a Class by Himself
    $6.74 $1.99
  • The Forgotten Recipe (Amish Heirloom #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Leaving (Bailey Flanigan, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Light Years (Cazalet Chronicles, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Shepherdess of Siena
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Mother's Secret (Hearts of Lancaster Grand Hotel #2)
  • Chasing Rainbows: A Novel