Start by marking “Dead Famous: An Unexpected History of Celebrity from Bronze Age to Silver Screen” as Want to Read:

Celebrity, with its neon glow and selfie pout, strikes us as hypermodern. But the famous and infamous have been thrilling, titillating, and outraging us for much longer than we might realise. Whether it was the scandalous Lord Byron, whose poetry sent female fans into an erotic frenzy; or the cheetah-owning, coffin-sleeping, one-legged French actress Sarah Bernhardt, who ...more
Expected publication: March 18th 2021 by W&N (first published March 19th 2020)

To ask other readers questions about Dead Famous, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Famous

Start your review of Dead Famous: An Unexpected History of Celebrity from Bronze Age to Silver Screen
Sara Marsden
Mar 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
History: tick
Puns: tick
References Lord Byron and Nell Gwyn: tick (okay this is more of a niche thing, I just enjoy reading about them)
Facts that you will definitely be telling everyone: tick (Gorbachev was in a Pizza Hut advert, please YouTube it)

This book had a 99% chance success rate with me before I even got to rip open the box it came in, maybe thats unfair to the book but rest assured I was 100% right. Jenner has such a joyful way with words. He is witty, hugely intelligent, an excellent
Kathrin Shawcross
Mar 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a really fun history book, sure to please readers of all types. Greg Jenner has the charismatic quality of a really dear freind telling an incredibly entertaining story about a subject you know they're reliable on.

It's a book dripping with wit. Even the most straightforward sentences have an air of humor about them, as if we're just caught up in the merriment of reading Jenner's various anecdotes and tidbits.

It's a book fit to burst with delightful information. Very enjoyable,
Darren
Mar 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gregs 2nd book. Having loved the first I have been keenly awaiting this book since Greg first mentioned he was writing it on Twitter, about 4 years ago.
Although I mainly read novels, I do read history books and what I like about both of Gregs books is that they are more easily readable. People who know him from his work on Horrible Histories wont be surprised that he makes history for adults as enjoyable as he helped make history for children.
This book looks at the history of celebrity,
Ellie
Mar 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A truly delightful read- funny and engaging. Jenner writes colloquially whilst being very informative. One downside is the slightly dense chapter where the main argument is set up- but he does warn you! Highly recommend!
Cara MacSherry
Mar 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A bloody brilliant book!
Adele
Mar 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Informative & funny, just how I like my history tales to be.
Ally
Mar 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Funny, sympathetic and heartfelt, packed full of new facts and terrible puns.
Dayle Pickup
Becca
Feb 19, 2020
Maddie
Feb 20, 2020
Greg Jenner (b.1982) is a British public historian, broadcaster, and author noted for using humour and pop culture to communicate the complexities of the past. He is the author of
DEAD FAMOUS: AN UNEXPECTED HISTORY OF CELEBRITY, FROM BRONZE AGE TO SILVER SCREEN (2020) and A MILLION YEARS IN A DAY: A CURIOUS HISTORY OF DAILY LIFE, FROM STONE AGE TO PHONE AGE (2015)

He is also the Historical