Start by marking “Dead Famous: An Unexpected History of Celebrity from Bronze Age to Silver Screen” as Want to Read:

Celebrity, with its neon glow and selfie pout, strikes us as hypermodern. But the famous and infamous have been thrilling, titillating, and outraging us for much longer than we might realise. Whether it was the scandalous Lord Byron, whose poetry sent female fans into an erotic frenzy; or the cheetah-owning, coffin-sleeping, one-legged French actress Sarah Bernhardt, who ...more
Expected publication: June 8th 2021 by Weidenfeld & Nicolson (first published March 19th 2020)

To ask other readers questions about Dead Famous, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Famous

Start your review of Dead Famous: An Unexpected History of Celebrity from Bronze Age to Silver Screen
Emma
Entertaining as ever from Greg Jenner, but evaluative and educational too. Review to come.
Sara Marsden
Mar 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
History: tick
Puns: tick
References Lord Byron and Nell Gwyn: tick (okay this is more of a niche thing, I just enjoy reading about them)
Facts that you will definitely be telling everyone: tick (Gorbachev was in a Pizza Hut advert, please YouTube it)

This book had a 99% chance success rate with me before I even got to rip open the box it came in, maybe thats unfair to the book but rest assured I was 100% right. Jenner has such a joyful way with words. He is witty, hugely intelligent, an excellent
Kathrin Shawcross
Mar 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a really fun history book, sure to please readers of all types. Greg Jenner has the charismatic quality of a really dear freind telling an incredibly entertaining story about a subject you know they're reliable on.

It's a book dripping with wit. Even the most straightforward sentences have an air of humor about them, as if we're just caught up in the merriment of reading Jenner's various anecdotes and tidbits.

It's a book fit to burst with delightful information. Very enjoyable,
Jenny
Overall - 4.4/5
Accessibility - 5/5
Writing - 4.5/5
Insight - 5/5
Enjoyment - 4.5/5
Memorability - 3/5
Listening experience - 4.5/5
Would listen again? Yes

I'm a big fan of Greg Jenner, his podcast You're Dead to Me is one of my favourites. He's funny and clever and okay, fine I may have a small history nerd crush on him. I thought this historical look at celebrity and our fascination with famous people was a really great listen. Wonderfully narrated by Greg himself, I've been enjoying dipping in and
Jo
This book explores the meaning of celebrity and fame and all the other connotations which have become somewhat mixed in our times. Using examples from the last 300 years or so, Jenner shows how celebrity culture and fandoms are nothing new. It's informative but also entertaining in its approach and makes for a fascinating read.
Jenia
Jun 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not super into celebrity culture in general, but this was just a fun (mostly light hearted) romp through what fame and celebrity is and various past celebrities. I.. probably would have gotten more out of it if I had paid attention a lot more closely. But as it was, it's just a good thing to relax with during the stressful year of 2020 :) The book is read by the author and he does a great job.
Erin
Aug 21, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did really enjoy this book, it was interesting and humorous, and taught me a lot about celebrity. However, it took me so goddamn long. I wouldn't pick it up for days, and when I did my mind wandered. Obviously, history books take me way longer to read than my normal YA, fantasy or sci-fi, there's a lot of new information to take in, that's the whole point. It is definitely worth a read, I did enjoy it when I could concentrate, although sometimes I lost the point he was trying to make, probably ...more
Kexx
Jun 30, 2020 rated it did not like it
Ok, OK, I heard him speak about this and thought "sounds a hoot." It wasn't. It boasts 125 celebrities- so each one gets less than 3 pages and as there is 5 chit-chat words to one factional word it neither satisfied nor entertained.
Tessa Buckley
Jun 23, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: biography
I started this book with high expectations, having listened to the author talking about it at the Hay Festival online. I like historical biographies, and was looking forward to learning more about those people who I had previously been unaware of. However, I found it disconcerting that, instead of a potted biography of each famous character, there would be multiple references to each person throughout the book to illustrate different points about the nature of celebrity. This, added to the ...more
Emma
May 05, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The writing and the information of this book is really good and it is well researched. However I gave it only 3 stars because I did not find this book gripping as I found it a struggle to read and the only reason I was able to finish it was because the chapters were divided by titled sections.
Bookwormandtheatremouse
This is a thoroughly enjoyable book - you will read and learn - and be eager to learn even more! The writing is engaging with humour throughout - and there is a whole tempting reading list at the end too. Just wonderful!
Jacqueline Williams
Jun 01, 2020 rated it liked it
The research that must have gone into this book is amazing. Each sentence is loaded with facts. With so much to take in, at times it felt more like a dissertation then a book. I enjoyed the historic strange celebrity snippets.
Darren
Mar 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gregs 2nd book. Having loved the first I have been keenly awaiting this book since Greg first mentioned he was writing it on Twitter, about 4 years ago.
Although I mainly read novels, I do read history books and what I like about both of Gregs books is that they are more easily readable. People who know him from his work on Horrible Histories wont be surprised that he makes history for adults as enjoyable as he helped make history for children.
This book looks at the history of celebrity,
Jenny
Jun 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
This book straddles the line of academic and popular audiences beautifully. It is well researched AND easy to read, which is rather a difficult balance to achieve. The last chapter was especially thought-provoking and sent me back to some of my grad school research. This book is fun and informative, and the Acknowledgments at the end are beautiful. Highly recommend if you are looking to learn without being put to sleep.
Rine
Jul 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was soo good. Im not that big into celebrity culture but for someone to break down the history and explore it as a concept is so intriguing. It's also a massive research piece and less about opinions on things and I think the author did such a good job presenting different perspectives as well as giving him own and recognising what is objectively morally wrong and what is up to the perspective on an individuals opinion.

I also loved consuming this as an audiobook because it's narrated by the
Anna
Nov 06, 2020 rated it it was ok
This book is an enjoyable and informative tour through celebrity. Greg Jenner writes in an conversational tone which makes it easy to read. I definitely found it more interesting to read about celebrities I already knew about, which was interesting. The acknowledgements at the end made the book worth reading to be honest, it was so nice!

Jack Bates
Jul 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great fun and quite fascinating

I know this took four years of research and produced millions of words of notes but it feels effortlessly entertaining and is full of great characters and some very interesting truths about celebrity.
Ellie Dockerty
Mar 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A truly delightful read- funny and engaging. Jenner writes colloquially whilst being very informative. One downside is the slightly dense chapter where the main argument is set up- but he does warn you! Highly recommend!
Helen Carolan
Oct 15, 2020 rated it liked it
An amusing and witty look at the cult of celebrity with Jenner showing it's been with us for longer than we may have assumed.
Verity W
Apr 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First up, I should say that I went to the same uni as Greg and whats more we both worked at the same student radio station and although we werent in the same teams or social groups we do follow each other on Twitter. Anyway since then, Greg has gone on to be a successful public historian he worked on the Horrible Histories series, hosts a two podcasts for the BBC and done all sorts of exciting history stuff including his first book, A Million Years in a Day. Dead Famous came out last month ...more
Charlotte Coyne
Apr 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, non-fiction
So very quickly into starting this book I decided I needed to have a pencil with me at all times whilst reading it to underline certain key lines that just made me snort with laughter, which quickly turned into annotating at least every other page. Will have to edit this review section at some point with the funniest lines. History + humour = v. happy Charlotte :)
Ron Fortuna
Jun 11, 2020 rated it liked it
Well researched look at celebrities in history. This is obviously a labour of love and Greg infuses his book with warmth and good humour. Theres much to love about his book, but ultimately I found that it came out as a series of rather disjointed anecdotes. I found myself wanting to know more details about some of the characters, but had to make do with a couple of paragraphs- or find out further snippets sprinkled in at unexpected intervals. ...more
Claire Huston
Jul 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As meticulously researched as it is entertaining. Top stuff! 5 stars.

This review was originally posted on my book blog.

I dont read anywhere near as much non-fiction as fiction. This is simply because I can never read it as quickly and I often find my attention sliding away from the page. However, I really wanted to read Dead Famous because Im a fan of Greg Jenner, particularly his BBC Podcast, Youre Dead to Me (its on BBC Sounds, please check it out, you wont be sorry).

Jenner excels at making
Amy Louise
Apr 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You may recognise Greg Jenner as the host of BBC comedy podcast Youre Dead To Me!, or as the public historian whose work behind the scenes on the series Horrible Histories has been part of making history fun, interesting, and accessible for children and adults alike. If you dont, I highly recommend hunting down both (the podcast is a delightful mix of the fascinating and the obscure, whilst Horrible Histories is an absolute riot to watch I can highly recommend the Kings and Queens song).

Dead
Laura (itslauracrow)
Sep 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Like others, I came to this book as I'm a big fan of Greg Jenner's BBC history podcast, You're Dead To Me. I think the way he talks about and engages the listener (or reader in this case!) with history is so fun and accessible, and we definitely need more of this type of content to help shift the stereotype that history is dull and dusty or only for academics.

As a slightly morbid, gothic teenager (I mean, I'm still slightly morbid and gothic so some things never change) I devoted the entire
Nathan Hogg
Apr 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this book.
Dead Famous is more than just a series of historical anecdotes. It looks at what makes a celebrity, why we are attracted to them, why we get emotionally involved with them and what impact they have on our society and their own lives. This is not, I repeat NOT, a fawning praise of fame and all those who achieve it, but rather a sociological and historical analysis of the often ambiguous realm of celebrity. Jenner provides hundreds of anecdotes covering thousands of
Fiona
This book was not what I was expecting but in a great way. Jenner does not just string together anecdotes about various celebrities into a book. Instead, he uses celebrity examples to discuss the concept of celebrity, and how image, promotion, looks, and public opinion are used to maintain celebrity status and make money. A section of this book I really appreciated was once Jenner had defined celebrity and established that it existed from the early 1700s, he delved into accounts of famous people ...more
Andrew Foxley
Aug 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Greg Jenners Dead Famous is an extremely entertaining and thoughtful volume exploring the concept of celebrity, and how its history is longer than it might appear at first glance. There's clearly an enormous amount of research underpinning this volume, and numerous tales of historical celebrity - some concerning figures who may be familiar to us, some with others who, though big in their day, have faded from the public consciousness. What's really interesting is how some aspects of celebrity ...more
Larissa
Im reading this book a second time - after buying it on my birthday (the day it came out!) and reading it straight through one night. I might rewrite this review later, but now Ill write this, as I promised Id give my input.

Were you looking for a history book, with no set period and no set theme? Its that. Were you looking for a titillating text about the A-to-Z list celebrities through the ages? This book has that too! But its also something hybrid of both - Greg Jenner is a familiar author (of
Ceri
Apr 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I'm not much of a history buff at all, never did it at any high level at school, but as a regular podcast listener I came across the "You're dead to me" podcast and loved it. I do have a love for general knowledge rather than history specifically and I found it fascinating to learn more behind the pub quiz answers. This lead me by the nose to Greg's book "Dead Famous".
After a rocky start (I dropped my favourite mug on my kindle and managed to break both while on chapter #1), I already couldn't
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Goodreads Librari...: ISBN 978-0-297-86980-1: Hardcover has pages 2 9 Apr 20, 2020 01:41PM

• I Capture the Castle
  • The Problem with Men: When is International Men’s Day? (And Why it Matters)
  • Hot Milk
  • Ice Dragon (The Dragon Misfits #1)
  • Those People
  • The Haunting of Alma Fielding: A True Ghost Story
  • The Man Who Saw Everything
  • Black and British: A Forgotten History
  • Stasiland: Stories from Behind the Berlin Wall
  • Too Fat, Too Slutty, Too Loud: The Rise and Reign of the Unruly Woman
  • The Covent Garden Ladies: Pimp General Jack & The Extraordinary Story of Harris' List
  • One Hundred and Fifty-Two Days
  • Taken at the Flood (Hercule Poirot, #28)
  • Atlas Shrugged Part C
  • Ramble Book: Musings on Childhood, Friendship, Family and 80s Pop Culture
  • Nervous States: Democracy and the Decline of Reason
  • Little Things: A Memoir in Slices
  • How to Train Your Dragon (How to Train Your Dragon, #1)
Greg Jenner (b.1982) is a British public historian, broadcaster, and author noted for using humour and pop culture to communicate the complexities of the past. He is the author of
DEAD FAMOUS: AN UNEXPECTED HISTORY OF CELEBRITY, FROM BRONZE AGE TO SILVER SCREEN (2020) and A MILLION YEARS IN A DAY: A CURIOUS HISTORY OF DAILY LIFE, FROM STONE AGE TO PHONE AGE (2015)

He is also the Historical