Start by marking “Brighton Rock” as Want to Read:

3.71  ·  Rating details ·  19,205 ratings  ·  1,181 reviews
A gang war is raging through the dark underworld of Brighton. Seventeen-year-old Pinkie, malign and ruthless, has killed a man. Believing he can escape retribution, he is unprepared for the courageous, life-embracing Ida Arnold. Greene's gripping thriller, exposes a world of loneliness and fear, of life lived on the 'dangerous edge of things'.

WITH AN INTRODUCTION BY J.M. C
Paperback, Vintage Classics, 269 pages
Published October 7th 2004 by Vintage (first published 1938)

To ask other readers questions about Brighton Rock, please sign up.
LadyCalico You can download it for free from Internet Archive. Click on the copy you want, then click the gray PDF/ePub button above book and you will get…moreYou can download it for free from Internet Archive. Click on the copy you want, then click the gray PDF/ePub button above book and you will get several download options including Kindle. https://archive.org/search.php?query=... (less)

·  19,205 ratings  ·  1,181 reviews

Supratim
Dec 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: classic, thriller, fiction
A great story! Fine writing!

Let me begin by saying that this novel draws some materials from Greene's A Gun for Sale. Since I have not read this novel, I do not know the exact relationship between the two books, but I can tell you that this book can be read as a standalone.

The edition I read featured an introduction by Jim Coetzee - the introduction though insightful about Greene's writing and religious beliefs, revealed a bit too much about the plot. I would suggest that you read the story and
Ahmad Sharabiani
605. Brighton Rock, Graham Greene
Brighton Rock is a novel by Graham Greene, published in 1938 and later adapted for film in 1947 and 2010. The novel is a murder thriller set in 1930s Brighton. The title refers to a confectionery traditionally sold at seaside resorts, which in the novel is used as a metaphor for the personality of Pinkie, which is the same all the way through. There are links between this novel and Greene's earlier novel A Gun for Sale (1936), because Raven's murder of the gang b
Orsodimondo
Aug 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
LIBERO ARBITRIO
Il protagonista di questo romanzo, pubblicato nel 1938 e considerato il primo romanzo del ciclo cattolico di Greene (Greene si convertì dal protestantesimo al cattolicesimo romano), è Pinkie, che, a dispetto del nome innocente, è uno spietato capobanda mafioncello, predisposto all’omicidio e al male in genere, antieroe per eccellenza, con l’idiosincrasia per il contatto fisico (sesso, ovviamente, incluso), credente e cattolico, ma alla sua maniera, creativa e fantasiosa: visto che
Richard Derus
Sep 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rating: 4.25* of five

The Publisher Says: In this classic novel of murder and menace, Graham Greene lays bare the soul of a boy of seventeen who stalks Brighton's tawdry boardwalk with apathy on his face and murder in his heart. Pinkie, the boy with death at his fingertips, is not just bad, he worships in the temple of evil, just as his parents worshipped in the house of God. Crime, in his dark mind, is a release so deep and satisfying that he has no need for drink or women or the love of his fel
Michael
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A lurid, compelling, and profound look at a small-time criminal enthralled with evil, the young woman he deceives, and the detective who hunts him down. Wonderfully chilling.
Richard Derus
Oct 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Book Circle Reads 144

Rating: 4.25* of five

The Book Report: Charles "Fred" Hale, aka newspaper columnist "Kolley Kibber," is in Brighton to hand out paper-chase prizes to loyal readers of his paper. He's also running as fast as he can from someone who means to kill him. Why? We aren't told. Who? That's made very plain within the first thirty pages. Well, there goes the suspense, right? Not right.

In a vain effort to live to fight another day, Hale hooks up with Ida, a blowsy pub-crawling broad wit
Fabian
Nov 02, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who skipped on the Greene
Recommended to Fabian by: Discarded book bin at Del Valle H.S.
A near perfect noir. The Cohen Bros. looked at this type of literature for the basis for "Fargo." Just like that movie, this book takes you inside a world of misfits and fragmented members of a clandestine group: very disorganized mobsters. The bad guys are protagonists & the heroine is (unlike the Frances McDormand character) a cross between Ignacious from "Confederacy of Dunces" and the Wife of Bath! Her old style dogma of enjoying life, no matter how bad a "Christian" this might make you, ...more
David Schaafsma
"The sinner is at the very heart of Christianity. Nobody is so competent as the sinner in matters of Christianity. Nobody, except the saint."—Charles Peguy. This is the epigraph to Graham Greene's novel The Heart of the Matter (1951)

“It didn't matter anyway. . . he wasn't made for peace, he couldn't believe in it. Heaven was a word: Hell was something he could trust.”—Pinky, in Brighton Rock

Brighton rock is hard sticks of candy that are traditionally mint-flavored generally found at seaside holi
Jason Koivu
Feb 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime, fiction
I'd just finished a book about 1940s/50s Cuba, in which Graham Greene is mentioned as having visited and enjoyed a place where "one could obtain anything at will, whether drugs, or women, or goats". Since I've been meaning to read more Greene, I figured now would be a good time for Our Man in Havana.

A couple days pass, things come up, apparently my memory is shit, and for some reason I start reading Brighton Rock. Hey, why the fuck not?! I'm an idiot...

This book has very little to do with Cuba.
Edward
Nov 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Introduction & Notes

--Brighton Rock
Lisa
Jan 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
This book is a multi-layered and rather startling portrayal of gangster life in the thirties in Brighton, England. This is not a cheery read so be prepared to feel out of sorts.

It starts with 'Fred' Hale who knows he's to be killed but tries to keep someone by his side to prevent it happening - his chosen mate to this end is Ida who is a brassy sort but with a good sense of right and wrong.
When she discovers that the date she thought had stood her up has been found dead she suspects foul play an
Kelly
"I know one thing you don't. I know the difference between Right and Wrong. They didn't teach you that at school."
Rose didn't answer; the woman was quite right: the two words meant nothing to her. Their taste was extinguished by stronger foods- Good and Evil. The woman could tell her nothing she didn't know about these- she knew by tests as clear as mathematics that Pinkie was evil- what did it matter in that case whether he was right or wrong?

That's pretty much the book right there.

This is a f
Algernon (Darth Anyan)
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, favorites

Hale knew, before he had been in Brighton three hours, that they meant to murder him. With his inky fingers and his bitten nails, his manner cynical and nervous, anybody could tell he didn't belong – belong to the early summer sun, the cool Whitsun wind off the sea, the holiday crowd.

The quintessential noir story: which one to pick? When I first started reading crime stories, I would point without hesitation at Chandler and/or Hammet. Much later, I settled on the French school, starting with J
Dfordoom
Apr 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime-mystery
Graham Greene's Brighton Rock tells the story of a young leader of one of the infamous razor gangs in 1930s Brighton who murders a journalist and then finds that his attempts to avoid any possibility of arrest lead him into ever-increasing complications and violence. A woman who had befriended the journalist sets out to bring his killer to justice. This is a remarkably dark and pessimistic novel. It’s a crime novel, but Greene has other agendas as well in this book. Greene was a Catholic, but he ...more
Nancy Oakes
Oct 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: uk-fiction
Between the cover blurb and that amazing first line, I was fully expecting a crime novel here, but it didn't take too long before I discovered that this book goes far beyond the reach of a thriller and deep into the zone of existential and metaphysical complexity, turning it into a novel that I will never, ever forget.

Jen
“A Catholic is more capable of evil than anyone.”
Brighton Rock

I signed this paper saying I would sleep with a writer. Actually, the document in question wasn’t profession specific, but name specific. I swirled my J and ‘en’ and ‘nifer’ next to a guy named Christopher. But, as it turned out, the guy I agreed to sleep with for pretty much life became an editor and a writer. And ever since he started writing at night instead of sleeping adequately, I’ve had this problem. The problem is that afte
Bill Lynas
Feb 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A dark, wet & windy day (like today!) is probably the ideal time to stay indoors & listen to this BBC full cast audio version of Graham Greene's classic story Brighton Rock. I must admit that I really like this novel. I've probably read Brighton Rock too many times & I even enjoyed the 1947 & 2010 film versions. This audio adaptation & is well cast, & the only things missing are Greene's prose & one of my favourite closing lines of any novel I've ever read.
Krok Zero
Nov 18, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: summer-2011
William Gibson wrote something not long ago -- well, tweeted something, actually -- that has haunted me unexpectedly. Speaking of the sea change in American culture brought by World War II, Gibson noted that "WWII Americans looked like us; 1935 Americans seriously didn't." Somehow, this statement is totally accurate. If the past since WWII is a foreign country, the past before WWII is an alien planet.

Graham Greene wasn't an American, of course, but the same mysterious principle applied across th
Sketchbook
Jan 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Truman Capote calls this, "An incredibly beautiful, perfect novel." Why argue? He then adds, "It has the greatest last four paragraphs of any modern novel I can think of."
Toby
Jun 23, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: black-as-night, lit
Greene's most famous work is a game of two halves

I think it might be fair to say that this one is only as famous as it is because of the excellent film noir starring the old man from Jurassic Park. That was a shocker for me I can tell you, Father Christmas as a stone cold killer. It's a fine book, an early entertainment with an obvious study of the effect of the Catholic church on man. But I was at the midway point when I realised that it was suddeny becoming less enjoyable to read. Greene start
Robert
Feb 20, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: general-fiction
OK, I admit defeat. If I had not chosen to read this whilst ill I imagine I would have got through it, since it is short by modern standards. As it is I just can't stand to spend more time around these characters that I uniformly can't empathise with and mostly find irritating or down-right unpleasant. There is a character one is supposed (I assume) to like and root for but I find her as annoying as the other two major protagonists. Ultimately I just find these people boring. So, I give up havin ...more
Hadrian
Aug 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: british, fiction, mystery
One of Greene's better novels, and one that works on multiple levels. If you want a good British thriller, you'll get it. If you want a deep exploration of morality, good and evil, and sin, you'll get that too. He's written such a wide array of books that it's hard not to find one that you'd like.

Recommended for those who like good books of all types.
Alan
Jul 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: novels, read-in-2011
ordered this from the library so's I can read it for the Greene group thingie, but have read it back in the 60s (as a teenager). Wonder if my star count will go down (it can't go up)?
...finished this on Saturday and went straight out to watch the film. Won't file my review until what is it - Feb 20th, but just to say
a) my star count has not gone down
b) the new film is worth watching but seek out the original, it's better. Rose is very good in the new film however...

..Feb 20th - had to go out for
Roberto
Feb 21, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1001, uk

Non giudicare

Graham Greene è uno scrittore tra i più tormentati, che pone la riflessione sulla natura e inevitabilità del "male" al centro di quasi tutti i suoi libri.

Anche questo romanzo del 1938 quindi, un dei più noti e il primo dopo la sua conversione al cattolicesimo, non fa eccezione.

E' un giallo, sotto certi aspetti. Tuttavia lo è solo nella sua struttura più esteriore, utile per rafforzare il contenuto più religioso. I due aspetti, quello del giallo e quello meditativo, sono in realtà b
Drew
Mar 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was an epilogue to my Graham Greene phase from six months or so ago; I couldn't find a copy until now. And it's weird to read it after having read a bunch of his later, more accomplished work. Brighton Rock isn't as polished; you won't find too many sly jokes or profound philosophical thoughts in it. But it's amazing to see how complex his attitude towards Catholicism was even at that point in his career (or, more accurately, since every Catholic's attitude towards Catholicism is complex, h ...more
Darwin8u
Aug 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012, aere-perennius
Greene's Catholic novels are amazing. His prose rips the scabs off humanity and the reader is left at once holding both the pain of sin and the healing of faith all at once. It doesn't matter if you are Catholic, Mormon, agnostic or an atheist ... Greene's struggles with faith and the ambiguities of existence are about as large a tribute to man as you are likely to find.
BAM The Bibliomaniac
Classics Cleanup Challenge #15
Audiobook #163

This is a great story but a terrible audiobook
Lawyer
Dec 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Graham Greene's "Brighton Rock" is classified as one of his entertainments as opposed to his more serious works. But make no mistake about it, "Brighton Rock" gives the reader plenty to ponder, if you consider it more than the thriller as many have treated it.

Brighton Rock is that stick candy embedded with the letters "Brighton." As the confection diminishes, the letters remain clearly legible. Although the book may bear the name of a popular confection, there's nothing sweet about the story Gre
Joselito Honestly and Brilliantly
There are only human beings here. No ghosts, demons, haunted houses, strange creatures, aliens or mysterious apparitions. Just human beings. But I've never read any novel more horrifying than this.

Here's a frail-looking boy with a feminine name: Pinkie. He doesn't drink, smoke or gamble. Just seventeen years old and still a virgin. But he is the leader of a small gang and he kills.

Then here's a sixteen-year-old, equally frail, waitress, Rose. She loves Pinkie. She knows something which could imp
Oziel Bispo
Jan 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Brighton Rock é um livro excelente o primeiro que leio de Graham Greene . É um livro que eu achei diferente pois é quase todo escrito sob o ponto de vista de um adolescente delinquente e sanguinário de apenas 17 anos chamado Pinkie . Pinkie com a morte de kite assume o controle de uma gangue na cidade de Brighton e para se vingar da morte de Kite mata o jornalista Hale. Com esse assassinato vários enredos irão se desenvolver no livro: A paixão inocente e diabólica de uma garçonete pelo bandido P ...more
  • Hangover Square
  • The Good Companions
  • Gone to Earth
  • Dirty Tricks
  • Decline and Fall
  • Le Morte D'Arthur - Volume I
  • Lord of the Flies
  • The Beast Must Die (Nigel Strangeways, #4)
  • The Life of Graham Greene, Vol. 1: 1904-1939
  • Love on the Dole
  • Malice Aforethought
  • Nineteen Seventy Four (Red Riding, #1)
  • The Long Firm (The Long Firm Trilogy #1)
  • The Book of Evidence
  • The Voyeur
  • Tragedy at Law (Francis Pettigrew, #1)
  • Saturday Night and Sunday Morning
  • The Three Coffins (Dr. Gideon Fell, #6)
Henry Graham Greene, OM, CH was an English novelist, short story writer, playwright, screenplay writer, travel writer and critic whose works explore the ambivalent moral and political issues of the modern world. Greene combined serious literary acclaim with wide popularity.

Although Greene objected strongly to being described as a “Catholic novelist” rather than as a “novelist who happened to be Ca
“You cannot conceive, nor can I, of the appalling strangeness of the mercy of God.” 161 likes
“A brain was only capable of what it could conceive, and it couldn't conceive what it had never experienced” 34 likes