Start by marking “Girl, Serpent, Thorn” as Want to Read:

Girl, Serpent, Thorn

A captivating and utterly original fairy tale about a girl cursed to be poisonous to the touch, and who discovers what power might lie in such a curse...

There was and there was not, as all stories begin, a princess cursed to be poisonous to the touch. But for Soraya, who has lived her life hidden away, apart from her family, safe only in her gardens, it's not just a story.
Paperback
Expected publication: May 12th 2020 by Flatiron Books

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: May 12, 2020
    Enter for a chance to win one of 100 advanced readers copies of Girl, Serpent, Thorn by Melissa Bashardoust

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 100 copies available, 35 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Jan 20 - Jan 30, 2020

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Girl, Serpent, Thorn, please sign up.
    Sofia M Why, yes. I do agree with you! Not only is the cover similar but so is the title. At least the plot is different and I'm looking forward to this book…moreWhy, yes. I do agree with you! Not only is the cover similar but so is the title. At least the plot is different and I'm looking forward to this book anyway!(less)

Start your review of Girl, Serpent, Thorn
    Nilufer Ozmekik
    Dec 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    A poisonous girl threatens the people’s lives who dare to touch her (intentionally or accidentally) Poor Soraya suffers from loneliness, is exiled from her inner circle, living in the shadows because poison flows through her veins and she can kill somebody anytime. But a mysterious boy gets interested with her situation and he seems like he is not afraid of her.

You may think what a great pilot, the boy will break the curse, fight with the demons and ride to the sunset singing “take my horse to
    Ꮗ€♫◗☿ ❤️ ilikebooksbest.com ❤️
    Pages: 336
    Expected publication: May 12th 2020 by Flatiron Books

Dark, Unexpected and Completely Original!

This book was totally different than I thought it would be. I expected something along the lines of Rapunzel, with a princess locked away in a castle only to be rescued by a prince who is able to see who she really is despite her differences. However what I got was a girl who didn’t just sit in her room locked away and waiting to be rescued, but one who did what she could to rescue herself
    Chelsea Humphrey
    Dec 09, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
    Recommended to Chelsea by: Flatiron Books
    ME: "Alright, I think I have enough snake covers on my book she-"

Girl, Serpent, Thorn sashaying onto Goodreads:

description

ME: "There's always room for more!!"

*Many thanks to the publisher for providing my review copy via NetGalley.
    Dahlia
    This was so. Good. If you love queer fairytales, especially of the non-Western variety, do not do not do NOT miss this Persian-influenced bisexual one.
    ✿
    review on my blog

"You could kill me with a single touch. Why should you ever be afraid of anyone?"

Soraya is cursed with a deadly touch, where poison flows through her veins and any living thing to come in contact with her dies. Isolated from her family and ruminating in the shadows, she finally decides to take matters into her own hands. Her brother's upcoming wedding to their childhood friend and a div (demon) imprisoned underneath the castle inspire her to make her move, while a
    Elise (TheBookishActress)
    A fairy tale that takes inspiration from ancient Persian/Zoroastrian mythology. A princess is cursed to be poisonous to the touch and explores what inherent power might lie in such a curse. thanks for saving the YA retelling genre Melissa Bashardoust
    megs_bookrack
    WE HAVE A COVER!!!

I have been anticipating this release for such a long time. I absolutely adored Bashardoust's Snow White retelling, Girls Made of Snow and Glass.

It is actually one of my favorite retellings ever. This sounds equally incredible and I cannot wait for it!

ʙᴇʟʟᴀ.: ☾**:.☆*.:。.
    Girl, Serpent, Thorn tell us the story of princess Soraya cursed to be poisonous to the touch.
    Soraya grows up locked away from her family and friends with only brief visits from her mother.
    One day her brother takes a demon prisoner and in the very same day, Soraya comes to know a new soldier boy who seems to take an interest in her.
    I really enjoyed the flawless, lyrical writing of the author. It was really beautiful, told like a very old fairytale. The mythology was Persian inspired and I had
    Candace Robinson
    Superb writing but I just couldn’t get into this one. ...more
    Emily A. Duncan
    Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Utterly perfect.
    megs_bookrack
    On this day I have been blessed!

Thank you so much for my ARC, Flatiron Books!
    One of my most anticipated reads of 2020 is now in my hands.

In other news, I will be participating in the blog tour for this release. Stay tuned for more details!!!

Rec-It Rachel
    PERFECT.
    NEW ADDITION TO ALL TIME FAVES.
    I AM OBSESSED.
    WHAT A BOOK.
    Dannii Elle
    Dec 09, 2019 marked it as to-read
    I would frame this cover and hang it on my walls for all eternity. I hope the story inside is just as good!
    Lia
    Sep 30, 2017 marked it as anticipated-releases  ·  review of another edition
    I. NEED. IT.
    Sana
    Sep 07, 2018 marked it as to-read-so-bad-it-hurts  ·  review of another edition
    Bashardoust out here single-handedly revolutionizing fairy tale retellings ...more
    Kilikina
    This is easily one of the my top 5 most anticipated books for 2020!!
    Cindy ✩☽ Savage Queen ♔
    Synopsis and cover have me even more excited than I already was! ...more
    ;3
    MAY????????? :/
    USOM
    Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    (Disclaimer: I received this book from the publisher. This has not impacted my review which is unbiased and honest.)

I fell in love with Girl, Serpent, Thorn from the very beginning. Girl, Serpent, Thorn is a story about possibility, power, and responsibility. It's a story about stories themselves, the danger and bravery of hope, and the possibility in each word. Soraya tugged at each of my heart strings. Faced with the pain of wanting something we cannot have, Soraya feels the ache and the
    Stephanie L (catteabooks)
    Girl takes control of her "curse" and uses it to rule the world instead of wallowing in self-pity. Or at least that's how I'm imagining this to turn out.
    Ellie (faerieontheshelf)
    Did someone steal this cover from the National Gallery or something
    Julie
    Oh, what a book. This was so beautifully written, so heartbreaking. The story itself was incredible. Soraya was a remarkable, complicated character who had a lot to learn. The writing was luscious and addicting and God do I wish the story was 500 pages longer so I wouldn't have to leave the world so soon. The romance was so gorgeous and devastating. I just. Loved everything about this. But I'm so mad that I'm out of Melissa's books again.
    C.
    Dec 18, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: giveaways-arcs
    I received an uncorrected e-arc to review to provide an unbiased opinion from Edelweiss. True rating is 3.75. First I want to point out how beautiful the cover for this novel is. It ties in perfectly with the storyline and fits the eye-catching, photo worthy book covers everyone jumps for to hoard on their bookshelves. This is a fairy tale with elements based on ancient Persia. I thoroughly enjoyed reading the author’s notes on where inspiration was derived from and seeing that play throughout ...more
    The Candid Cover (Olivia & Lori)
    I have yet to read the author’s first book, Girls Made of Snow and Glass, but I have heard great things. The fact that this is an original tale inspired by Persian mythology has me really excited. Also, that cover is really striking.
    Rose
    Dec 30, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
    Looking forward to reading this. When I saw part of the premise of this, admittedly thought of "Code: Realize."
    ♛ Garima ♛
    I don't know when I would stop falling for such tropes, maybe never...only if NetGalley grants my wish
    Jackie
    Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

“Girl, Serpent, Thorn” is a horrible title that masks a really great read as we explore a new kind of fairy tale where poison lies within the touch of a princess locked away in the tower with a hero who just may be the dragon and with the line between good and evil razor thin you might be tempted to cross it.

My biggest critique of this book is the title it’s so weirdly phrased that I was tempted to not even request it but thankfully I did because this was one of my favorite reads of the year.

Olivia
    Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    I've never read a book with my own culture's folklore behind it. I loved it so much. Is this how other kids feel when they read fair tales? Because I could get used to this.
    ☾ h a d e e r ☽
    I think this is the first time I've ever appreciated a snake on a cover
    ree
    Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    I think this is my favorite book of the year.
    « previous 1 3 next »

• The Shadows Between Us
    • Ruthless Gods (Something Dark and Holy, #2)
    • The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)
    • The Midnight Lie (The Midnight Lie, #1)
    • The Queen's Assassin (Queen's Secret, #1)
    • Foul Is Fair
    • Where Dreams Descend (Kingdom of Cards, #1)
    • Unravel the Dusk  (The Blood of Stars, #2)
    • When We Were Magic
    • Chosen (Slayer, #2)
    • The Silence of Bones
    • Blood Heir (Blood Heir Trilogy, #1)
    • Blood Countess
    • Docile
    • Havenfall (Havenfall, #1)
    • Gravemaidens (Gravemaidens, #1)
    • Dark and Deepest Red
    • Scavenge the Stars (Scavenge the Stars, #1)
    Melissa Bashardoust (pronounced BASH-ar-doost) received her degree in English from the University of California, Berkeley, where she rediscovered her love for creative writing, children’s literature, and fairy tales and their retellings. She currently lives in Southern California with a cat named Alice and more copies of Jane Eyre than she probably needs. Girls Made of Snow and Glass is her first ...more