Start by marking “Closer Than She Knows” as Want to Read:
Closer Than She Knows

Closer Than She Knows

A serial killer bent on revenge . . . and striking too close to home.

Teagan O’Rourke has always loved murder mysteries. In her job as a court reporter, she has written official records for dozens of real-life murders. She’s slapped evidence stickers on crime scene photos. She’s listened to hours of chilling testimony. But she’s never known the smell of death. And she neve
Published June 9th 2020 by Thomas Nelson (first published June 2020)

To ask other readers questions about Closer Than She Knows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Closer Than She Knows

Start your review of Closer Than She Knows
Gloria
This is an action packed story that starts off with a punch and keeps it up until the end. Court reporter Teagan O'Rourke comes from a family of law enforcement officers, from her retired father to her stepbrother and stepsister, and a close family friend. Everyone is on deck when an officer taking her to drop off evidence is shot and killed while Teagan is in the car with her. Her best friend, Max, a youth pastor, is in on the action later when her elderly neighbor is stabbed to death. Max is a ...more
Mary Jackson _TheMaryReader
Jun 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
Irvin is better known for her Amish Fiction, but let me tell you she can write a romantic suspense book with a great plot twist that will keep you guessing until the end. Just when you think you have it figured out she turns you in another direction.
I'm hoping for more of these romantic suspense books from Irvin.
This is a 4 star read I recommend this book.
The Mary Reader received this book from the publisher for review. A favorable review was not required and all views expressed are our own.
Deanne Patterson
Jun 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Once an author writes in one genre it's often hard to transition writing in another genre, not so with Kelly Irvin. Her Suspense books are every bit as great as her Amish fiction and she is an automatic read for me when she releases a new book.
Are you ready for a roller coaster ride from start to finish, well then buckle up because once you start the action will propel you forward and you just won't be able to stop til the book is finished.
There are so many twists and turns that you may think yo
Donna
Sep 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. Teagan O'Rourke's job as a court reporter requires her to see and hear some horrible realities. She is being driven by a cop back to the police station to return evidence when the cop is shot and killed. Tied up at this scene, Teagan asks her friend Max, youth minister at her church, to go feed her dog Tigger. Max stumbles upon the murder of Teagan's neighbor. At Teagan's house, the killer has left her a letter, the first of several. He claims to be a serial killer who is going to tar ...more
Heather Gilbert
Feb 06, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2021-reads
WOW! I'm not usually enthralled by romantic suspense, but this one really pulled me in and I couldn't put it down! I think it was that the main characters (and the family) wrestled through their stands on some issues and came out the other side. I like a book that makes me think. As with any serial killer novel, you're usually not sure until the very end if your guess was correct as to whodunit (mine was, but that didn't take away from the way Irvin built up to a dramatic and twisty finale). The ...more
Cara Putman
May 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
A really enjoyable, twisty, plot turn of a book. The characters are rich, the interacation between them fun. Every time I thought I figured out who was behind the mayhem...the author lead me away from my conclusion...only to find I was right on both counts after all. A book I enjoyed.
Erin Laramore
Jan 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow - what a wild ride! I first heard of this author a couple of years ago when her suspense debut, "Tell Her no Lies" released. She's best known in the Amish fiction community, but she has a clear gift for suspense as well. While I didn't care much for last year's release, "Over the Line", I decided to still give this one a try because I enjoyed her first suspense book so well - that, and I found the plot intriguing. I'm so glad that I did as this book was absolutely phenomenal!

Teagan O'Rourke
Lisa Johnson
Jul 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Title: Closer Than She Knows
Author: Kelly Irvin
Pages: e-book
Year: 2020
Publisher: Thomas Nelson
My rating is 5 out of 5 stars.
Teagan O’Rourke is a court reporter who runs a free library from her front yard. She lives in San Antonio, TX. Her father is a retired policeman, and her friend is Max who is a part-time youth minister. Teagan and Max both have feelings for each other that have turned from friendship to romance but they each have pasts that cause them to hesitate or doubt themselves or the
Kailey
Aug 09, 2020 rated it liked it
I had read some of Kelly Irvin’s Amish fiction before. When I saw that she also writes some suspense books, I knew I had to give it a try. This one wasn’t too bad. I thought I had it figured out, but I was still surprised. I think this would be good for fans of Nancy Mehl’s suspense books.

I was given a complimentary copy of this ebook from the author, but was not required to write a review. The thoughts and comments are my own.
Kav
Aug 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My goosebumps have goosebumps. What a thrill of a read! Tension pulled taut to the point I was suspecting everyone who wasn't Teagan or Max as the stalker! My over active imagination did double-time once I turned off my lights at night. Bwahahaha! You know you're really into a story when it invades your dreams.

Loved the pacing -- the perfect mix of action and investigation punctuated with some down time for Max and Teagan to sort out their feelings. They both have histories that leave them feeli
Agnes (BookBubbe)
Jun 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
O’Rourke has always loved murder mysteries. In her job as a court reporter, she has written official records for dozens of real-life murders. And so the story begins. Little does she know she will be involved in a real live murder. With her father a retired cop and her step brother and sister cops, her whole family gets involved in the murders of a serial killer.

This is a new author I found when offered an ARC from #Netgalley and I really enjoyed it. Fast pacing and a page turner I really could
Debbie
Apr 05, 2020 rated it it was ok
"Closer Than She Knows" is a Christian romantic suspense novel. Police detectives (which included family members) were officially investigating the murders, but we got little detail about their progress. Teagan and her retired police officer father decided to investigate a serial killer that was in prison whom the current serial killer seemed to be mimicking. Instead of following up clues like "who is close enough to Teagan to know the details that are ending up in the letters?", they investigat ...more
Diana
May 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm honestly not trying to be melodramatic, but before I write a review on Kelly Irvin's, Closer Than She Knows, I'm waiting for my hands to stop shaking and my heart rate to return to normal. Seriously! I knew Irvin could write great Amish books, but she can do eerie and creepy right along with the best of them!

Max Kennedy is an impressive hero—a youth pastor who's been redeemed from a past enslaved by alcohol and drugs. He's determined to help his friend, court reporter Teagan O'Rourke, when a
Tamara
Apr 09, 2020 rated it liked it
- 3. 5 stars
A letter addressed to Teagan O’Rourke shows up from the person who killed Officer Moreno who was driving the car that she was a passenger in and it’s addressed to her.
Closer Than She Knows jumps right in as Teagan O’Rourke witnesses the death (and murder) of Officer Kris Moreno who was driving Teagan O’Rourke away from evidence concerning a court case. As a court reporter, Teagan has seen (and heard) some gruesome photographs as part of cases that she had typed for. But never had she
Molly Jaber (Cover To Cover Cafe)
Aug 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-reads
It’s been some time since I read a book by the talented Kelly Irvin. I usually read her Amish novels and fall in love instantly. I was excited to learn about this new release, a romantic suspense/thriller, and couldn’t wait to get my hands on it! I will tell you this right now. It did NOT disappoint! I loved reading every second of this novel and I am excited to read more like from Irvin.

I absolutely loved following along side Teagan and feeling all her emotions like my own. Her story was heart
100 Pages per Hour
Jul 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Serial killers are fascinating and this book delves into their minds and keeps you guessing.

I will admit I figured out who the "bad guy" was pretty fast but I've read and watched way too many crime dramas.

One part of this book that I really appreciated was how guns were viewed by various characters. It was nice to read about a heroine that shares my view of guns.

I also loved that this book talked about the real life dangers of alcohol and pills but also the real help that AA and good therapists
Dawn
Feb 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
If you're looking for a book to enjoy, and you're into mystery and thrillers, one weekend this is the one. It's beautifully written and the characters are pretty fantastic. I would love this to be a series. Max and Teagan are a wonderful example of friendship and love, patience and perseverance. The faith aspect only adds to this story.

I received this ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Lori
Apr 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
While this author is more known for her Amish books she really packs a punch in this book!
She takes us on a roller coaster ride with this story!
One that will have Suspense fans eagerly turning the pages and keeps them guessing at the same time! Just wow!
I learned quite a lot from this book. Things like how and what the police use to solve a case. Irvin describes those paragraphs very well.
I really liked the family issues in here. Especially since I could relate to some of them and I think that
Dana Michael
Feb 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
What a ride! Wow! This is an action packed thriller about a serial killer getting revenge. This a bit gritty at times. The heroine is a court reporter and is targeted because the killer wants revenge on her father. There is a bit of romance and some inspirational messages of hope and trusting God even in fearful situations.
*I was given a copy of this book by the publisher Thomas Nelson and this is my honest opinion.
JoAnn
Feb 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
WOW what an amazing romantic suspense. Kellie Irvin has outdone herself with this book. An edge of your seat plot with many twists and turns. Well crafted characters that you will love and hate. Fans of suspense will not be disappointed. I received an arc from the publisher. This is my unbiased review.
Kirsty Noah-whitlock
Review for 'Closer than she knows' by Kelly Irvin.

Read and reviewed via NetGalley for Thomas Nelson publishing .

Available to preorder ready for release on June 9th

This is the first book that I have read by this author. I wouldn't go out to look for more of her books but I would possibly pick one up and read it if I did happen across one.

This book is a Christian thriller/suspense. I'll be honest and admit I must have missed the Christian part in the description as I probably wouldn't have chos
Kathleen
Jul 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In Closer Than She Knows, author Kelly Irvin transports the reader to San Antonio, Texas for an intriguing Christian Romantic Suspense story that will keep the reader guessing and turning the pages.

Teagan O'Rourke is a court reporter, who knows the criminal justice system inside out, she comes from a family of law enforcement officers.

Max Kennedy is a retired Army medic and now a part-time Youth Minister, who is romantically interested in his friend and fellow church group volunteer, Teagan.

Teag
Faye
Jun 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
A spine-tingling psychological thriller, that keep me on my toes.

Teagan O'Rourke was raised around law enforcement and she works as a court reporter, in charge of labelling and presenting incriminating evidence in the courtroom. She's heard the grisly details of countless crimes, but never thought that she would become the victim of a killer bent on revenge.

Fast-paced, with heart pounding suspense that kept me guessing up to the very end. I loved the Teagan's close knit supportive family, and
Diane
Jul 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Closer Than She Knows by Kelly Irvin is a suspenseful romantic thriller I read straight through without stopping for sleep. Teagan O’Rourke who is a court reporter is a lot like me as she enjoys reading murder mysteries. She was raised with a family of law enforcement officers and her father now serves as a consultant to the sheriff's department. She feels a bit estranged from her father due to his remarriage after her mother's death years ago.
Her life takes a drastic turn when she becomes the t
Christa
Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook-arc
Closer Than She Knows is a good Christian romantic suspense. It has a very interesting premise of a court reporter, Teagan O'Rourke, coming to the attention of a serial killer. Teagan is inches from a police officer who is shot, and then the killer begins leaving notes for her. Teagan's family of police officers, plus her dear friend Max, all jump into protective mode.

While they are all racing to find the killer, Teagan also has to deal with her feelings for Max, and the belief that she can nev
Rebecca
Jun 15, 2020 rated it liked it
"The Triple S stands for Shoot, Stab, and Strangle."

Teagan O'Rourke finds herself living and breathing in the middle of a nightmare. A cold, calculating killer is not only toying with her, but killing dear friends and acquaintances at a dizzying rate. While her family members use their law enforcement connections to find clues, Teagan's dearest friend Max maintains a steady presence at her side. If only . . . . . if only things could look different when Teagan gazes into her future.

"Cl
Debbie
Jun 08, 2020 rated it liked it
Thank you Thomas Nelson-Fiction and NetGalley for allowing me to preview this ARC.

Closer Than She Knows is a Christian thriller about Teagan O’Rourke, a court reporter in San Antonio. Teagan’s world is turned upside down when people around her are murdered and she suddenly finds herself the target of a serial killer.

I must confess, I didn’t realize this was Christian genre when I requested this book, so I’m not familiar with the expectations for books in this genre. I read a lot of thrillers a
Jennie
Jul 04, 2020 added it
Based upon other reviews, I know I am the minority here, but DNF at 50%. Reading the positive and raving reviews of others here on NetGalley, I was intrigued and requested this book.However, I just could not get into the story. Teagan is a likable character, but the family dynamics were... off? Not quite sure how to explain it, but this book just wasn't for me. I am thankful to NetGalley and the publisher for the free ARC in exchange for an honest review. Here's to hoping that my next NetGalley ...more
Stella Potts
Aug 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I am now a big fan of Kelly Irvin’s Romantic Suspense books. This one did not disappoint. It is so intense and the suspense keeps you turning pages all the way to the end. This author writes police action in a way that makes you know the books are well researched. The twists will keep you guessing. And the romance between the main characters is not overdone and does not take up a major part of the book. Teagan and Max will win your heart. Loved this book and I recommend it to Suspense fans.
Doreen
May 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Without a doubt, this is my favorite book by this author. Even though I guessed who the bad guy was pretty early, there were some twists and surprises along the way. I really liked the relationship between Max and Teagan. They already have a close friendship. Max wants more but something is holding Teagan back. I loved the vivid scene at the end of them dancing in the yard. It was a wonderful image.

I'm hoping that this is the start of a new series that will focus on Teagan's family members. I h
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Relative Silence
  • Everywhere to Hide
  • Backlash (Capital Intrigue, #2)
  • Don't Keep Silent (Uncommon Justice, #3)
  • The Escape (US Marshals, #1)
  • The Crushing Depths (Coastal Guardians, #2)
  • Standoff (Natchez Trace Park Rangers, #1)
  • Lethal Intent
  • Obsession (Natchez Trace Park Rangers, #2)
  • Airborne
  • Active Defense (Danger Never Sleeps, #3)
  • Acceptable Risk (Danger Never Sleeps, #2)
  • Minutes to Die (Homeland Heroes, #2)
  • Dead Silence
  • Two Reasons to Run (Pelican Harbor #2)
  • Point of Danger (Triple Threat, #1)
  • Three Missing Days (Pelican Harbor #3)
  • The Traitor's Pawn
Kelly's newest Amish romance series, Amish of Sky Country includes Mountains of Grace, followed by The Long Bridge Home, and Peace in the Valley. The series explores Amish communities in northwest Montana and how they are impacted by wildfires.

Her Every Move, her latest romantic suspense novel, debuted in March. Publishers Weekly called it gripping suspense and said, "loving descriptions of San An

News & Interviews