Start by marking “Pugtato Finds a Thing” as Want to Read:
Pugtato Finds a Thing

Pugtato Finds a Thing

Enchanting illustrations. Giggle-inducing text. Unique and loveable characters. Join Pugtato and his cute and quirky pack of pals in this heartwarming picture book that celebrates the power of friendship, compassion, and believing in your own unique gifts.

When Pugtato’s simple, quiet life is disrupted after he digs up a strange object in his garden, he enlists his best “s
Expected publication: August 4th 2020 by Zonderkidz

To ask other readers questions about Pugtato Finds a Thing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pugtato Finds a Thing

Start your review of Pugtato Finds a Thing
Mischenko
May 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant and imaginative!

After digging in the mud, Pugtato discovers a shiny purple object in the ground and can’t figure out what it is. He decides to ask all of his best ‘spuddies’ Tweetroot, Tomatoad, Purrsnip, Carrat, and others just exactly what this Thing could be. Each of them have their own ideas, but Pugtato soon learns that the answer is within him if he’ll only look to his heart.

We fell in love with this book. The rhyming story paired with the charming illustrations will have child
Starjustin
May 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What an awesome children’s book! I loved this one so much. The illustrations are unique, descriptive, and colorful prompting children to see how imaginative they can be.
Reading_ Tam_ Ishly
Apr 25, 2020 rated it liked it
I am sad, legit sad, that I couldn't like this picture book and found it to be a little too dull and something which lacks appeal.

The whole book looks a little gloomy, the artstyle is less appealing (this may be due to my lack of knowledge regarding the artists and their artstyle) and the story sequence a bit too dragging to hold the attention of children.

I guess the purpose of this picture book is to educate the kids about different types of vegetables and animals through the story of a potato
Israel
May 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is the most precious baby I have ever seen.

I am in love with this book. Great rhyming and even better vegetable puns! I know kids of all ages will love this book and all the fun it holds inside! Useful for both classrooms and at home.

Go grab your bestest spuddies and read this book with them!

I received a digital ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Briar's Reviews
Ah, Pugtato. Once of the best names I've seen in a very long time for a book. The name alone made me pick this book up, but the premise and story kept me hanging on.

Pugtato is a pug who is also a potato. He's cute, adorable and likes to play in the mud. One day he finds a shiny things and decides to show his buddies, er.... spuddies. Many of the animals are also vegetable themed creatures, and all of them get to see the shiny thing pugtato has found!

This book was ridiculously cute and the premi
Jessica Haider
Apr 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, childrens
Very cute picture book featuring a pugtato, who is some sort of potato-pug hybrid. Quirky but it works! Pugtato lives in a garden with other vegetable-animal hybrids like Purrrsnip and tomatoad. One day while digging around Pugtato finds a swirly purple thing in the dirt. Pugtato takes the thing around to their garden friends to see if they know what it is. They have various ideas...nest warmer, scratcher, chew toy... but Pugtato knows that's not what the thing is.

My kids enjoyed this one. The
Christi M
May 07, 2020 rated it liked it
Pugtato is a wonderfully illustrated picture book filled with a lot of play on words that kids and adults will definitely all enjoy. However, I found the story ending a little confusing and felt like perhaps I missed something.

In Pugtato Finds a Thing, Pugtato is digging around in the mud when he finds a shiny round purple round thing. Having no idea what it is, Pugtato starts asking all of his different friends – Tweetroot (a turnip bird), Tomatoad (tomato-looking toad) and many others what the
Radwa
May 18, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley, comics, e-books
I'm a sucker for cute animals and these are cute animals and vegetables mashups and it's so adorable. from the title, a mashup of a pug and a potato finds something in the ground and starts asking around about it. The art is so cute.

I thank Netgalley and Zonderkidz for the digital ARC.
Melanie Sligh
Apr 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Pugtato Finds a Thing was absolutely wonderful. First, the illustrations are great. They were vivid and not dull. Secondly, I loved Pugtato’s manners. Reading to my child, I was able to explain how asking and questioning kindly can get you the answers you need.

This was a great book, and my 4 and 2 year old both approve. I loved the uniqueness of the character and give this 5 stars. Thank you NetGalley and Zonderkidz for the eARC in exchange for the honest review.
Lydia Eagle
Jan 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: popsugar-2020
POPSUGAR 2020: A book with a pun in the title

Reading this today was one of the highlights of my entire life and I'm shocked and thrilled that it's even listed on Goodreads. I. Love. Pugtato. I wept in joyous laughter the whole way through, and you bet I'm counting it as "a book with a pun in the title" for POPSUGAR 2020.

Do yourself a favor and buy yourself a few copies for yourself and literally everyone you've ever met, so you'll always have one on hand. This book is important.
Mehsi
I received this book from Netgalley in exchange of an honest review.

I just adore pugs and this is a pug that is a potato? Sign me up! Plus, I was definitely curious about what he finds and what he will do with it. But after reading it I can tell it was cute... but that was it.

Review to come on July 30th to my blog and August 17th on Goodreads.
Lyndie
Apr 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Oh my goodness! Pugtato is absolutely the cutest little veggie-animal ever. The writing was clever and the rhymes flowed easily. Loved all the little animal-veggie combos especially brussel-snouts and crocolli. The illustrations were also great. Kids will really get a kick out of this little book! I know mine did!

I received a digital copy of this book from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
Cass Moskowitz
Apr 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was an adorable read! What a whimsical sense of fun and curiosity wrapped in a precious package of fun drawings. I want this book in every home!
B.
Apr 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book was so cute and adorable! Perfect for children.
The illustrations were amazing. All the animals were portrayed in plant form which I thought was very unique and clever.
The story was sweet and had a moral.
This book will be great for kids!
Amber Slagle
May 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
I read this with my six year old daughter and we thought it was super cute. We loved the cleaver mash ups of the animals with the vegetables. My daughter’s favorite was the Unicorn on the Cob. The pictures were nicely drawn and they were very vibrant.

Pugtato finds a thing and roams around to each of his friends to figure out what it is. Pugtato perseveres and figures out what it is.

Such a sweet book for kids to learn how to keep asking about something to figure out what it is.

My daughter said t
Beary Into Books
May 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Rating 4.5

The book "Pugtato Finds a Thing" by Zondervan is about the main character Pugtato trying to learn what he found. During his adventure we are introduced to all of his friends and shown how they interact with "Thing". While I enjoyed this story, I had bigger hopes based off of the cover and the synopsis. The story was cute but I found it to be too long, introducing too many characters but this of course is just my personal opinion. I read the story aloud to a little one and they loved it
Alexandra Donahue
Apr 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
"PUGTATO FINDS A THING BY ZONDERVAN AND SOPHIE CORRIGAN"
Pugtato Finds a Thing by Zondervan and Sophie Corrigan

To say that my niece is obsessed with pugs is putting it lightly. We have read countless pug books together, with many pug stuffies tucked into enjoy the story. So naturally when I came across this picture book I knew I had to review it with Samantha.

The thing we found when we literally gobbled up this delicious read, was pure joy. Joy in the vibrant, fun illustrations. Joy in the goofy
Janet
Apr 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing

When life for the entire universe and planet turns on its end and like everyone else you "have nothing to do" while your place of work is closed and you are in #COVID19 #socialisolation, superspeed readers like me can read 250+ pages/hour, so yes, I have read the book … and many more today. (I have played a "zillion games" of scrabble, done a "zillion crosswords" and I AM BORED!!!)

I requested and received a temporary digital Advance Reader Copy of this book from #NetGalley, the publisher and the
Becky
Apr 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thanks Netgalley for allowing me to read this title early in exchange for an honest review!
---
"Pugtato Finds a Thing" drew me in with it's adorable concept and cover. Within the pages, you follow Pugtato as he goes about his day, and he discovers a mysterious Thing buried in the dirt. He goes around and asks other mismatched animal veggies (Such as the "Purrsnip" or the Unicorn-on-the-cob, which I LOVE) what they think the Thing is supposed to be. This is a great picture book about following you
Erin Decker
May 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Pugtato is a super cute hybrid of a potato and a dog. Each of his friends is another vegetable slash animal hybrid as well. When Pugtato finds something shiny and purple and pretty, he doesn’t know what it is, so he asks all his friends to help him figure it out.

This book is about funny vegetable/animal hybrids, friendship, discovering new things, and silly rhymes. I think any child with a sense of humor will enjoy this tale and beg for more of Pugtato and his friends. I cannot wait to share thi
N.J.
May 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Pugtato Finds a Thing, by: Sophie Corrigan
This book draws you in from the start with its cute cover. The cuteness doesn’t end there it carries on through the whole book. Very creative characters that make you giggle as you turn each page. Pugtato offers a valuable message and teaches about taking care of your things and believing in others. This is an easy read and most likely entertaining for grades k-4 due to the cuteness of the character.
Sarah Murphy Traylor
Thank you, NetGalley, for a copy of this book! This book is AMAZING. Animals and vegetables are combined to make adorable animals, the sweet of all is Pug-Tato. Pug-tato takes us through his adventure to try to figure out what the Thing is that he discovered. Swet Pug-tato meets friends like the Unicorn on the Cob and the Croccoli (blend of Crocodile and Broccoli) and hijinks ensue. The book is told in rhyming verse, and the message is sweet and centers on love. Hoping to read many more adventur ...more
Kaitlyn
Apr 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I received this ebook from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I. LOVE. THIS. BOOK!!! I read it to my mom and she said she MUST have it for her future grandchildren! Haha. Seriously, EVERYONE needs to read this book. It's funny, full of bright colors, and teaches about animals and vegetables. But most of all, Pugtato teaches us about helping each other out when someone has a question and always being there for your "spuddies."

This book is filled with vegetables that are made into animal
Kirstin
Apr 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, ana
I LOVED THIS BOOK! My daughter loved it too and it’s impossible to get her excited about reading! Pugtato is one many Vegimals in his garden. After he finds Thing, he asks them all their advice. In the end he realizes he knew best the whole time. This was a cute story about believing in yourself, the illustrations are adorable, and I love a rhyming story!

DISCLAIMER: I received this book free from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
OjoAusana
Apr 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2020
*received for free from netgalley for honest review* HES JUST A GOOD SPUD :'))) this book is too cute cant get over the animal-veggies, just too cute. Really want to own a hardcopy of this book lmao its just too cute.
Kristina | kristinaandthebooks
Apr 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020, net-galley
This is an inventive children's story, with absolutely gorgeous illustrations. Also with the titular Pugato, this tale features animals personified as produce in a very unique style. Part of the fun of reading was seeing what hybrid animal/vegetable would come next! The story itself is told in rhyming verse and is quite clever. I can see children loving the silliness while absorbing the message that being kind is more important than being the smartest person in a group.

I received a PDF of this
Wendy
Apr 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
I was instantly charmed by the creative character names in this funny, creative and beautifully illustrated book.

Meet Pugato as he asks his friends: Tweetrood, Tomatoad, Purrsnip and Carrat to name a few, to help him figure out what to do with his newly found treasure. The main message of this story is certainly that reaching out for help and keeping well-wishing friends around you are very important - a message I would certainly love to pass on to children.

Although the story is very short, par
Eve beinguniquebooks
Apr 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This picture book was fantastic it really was a clever twist and made me laugh as vegetables and animals are combined for example, Pug and Potato become Pugtato!

We see how a discovery leads Pugtato to chatting to his friends and trying to solve the puzzle and teaches kids the importance of friendship.

Many thanks to the publishers for allowing me to review this book for them!
Eule
Apr 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Pugtato Finds a Thing. What is it? They don't know, so they go and ask their friends.

This book has all the food-animal puns and made me giggle. I imagine that reading it out loud will be much fun. The story is short and sweet, and the illustration are adorable and work perfectly with the text.

If this should become a series, I would like to read on. While the length of this one was perfect for the plot, I could see reading myself many more of these episodes.

I recieved a copy of this book in excha
Etienne
Apr 24, 2020 rated it liked it
3,5/5. This book has two main elements. First the story, a creature find a special object and goes around asking his friend what they think it is. Something we often see in children book and not the most fun/original thing to do. The second element however, was way better, every creature of the book is a mix of an animal and a vegetable with a name that also mix both, the title illustrate the concept well enough. This was perfectly done for most creature, one or two a bit less, it was good, funn ...more

• C'est mon arbre
  • Time for Bed's Story
  • If You Were Night
  • The Lady with the Books: A Story Inspired by the Remarkable Work of Jella Lepman
  • This Is the Path the Wolf Took
  • A Bear is a Bear
  • Lemon Child
  • Hope and Freckles:: Fleeing to a Better Forest
  • I am a Capybara
Sophie Corrigan is a freelance illustrator and authour from Lancashire, UK. She graduated from University of Central Lancashire in 2013 with a first class degree in Illustration, and recieved a Distinction in her Masters degree in Children's Book Illustration from the same university. In 2017, her children's picture book 'I'm a Little Monkey' was Highly Commended in the Macmillan Prize for Childre ...more

News & Interviews