Start by marking “Pugtato Finds a Thing” as Want to Read:
Pugtato Finds a Thing

Pugtato Finds a Thing

When Pugtato’s simple, quiet life is disrupted after he digs up a strange object in his garden, he enlists his best “spuddies” to help (they are more clever than he is, after all). Tweetroot is certain it’s a new egg for her nest. Tomatoad is quite sure it’s a toy just for him. And Purrsnip simply won’t stop scratching it! Luckily, Pugtato has another very special spuddy t ...more
Published August 4th 2020 by Zonderkidz (first published August 2020)

To ask other readers questions about Pugtato Finds a Thing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pugtato Finds a Thing

Start your review of Pugtato Finds a Thing
Mischenko
May 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant and imaginative!

After digging in the mud, Pugtato discovers a shiny purple object in the ground and can’t figure out what it is. He decides to ask all of his best ‘spuddies’ Tweetroot, Tomatoad, Purrsnip, Carrat, and others just exactly what this Thing could be. Each of them have their own ideas, but Pugtato soon learns that the answer is within him if he’ll only look to his heart.

We fell in love with this book. The rhyming story paired with the charming illustrations will have child
Starjustin
May 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What an awesome children’s book! I loved this one so much. The illustrations are unique, descriptive, and colorful prompting children to see how imaginative they can be.
Reading_ Tam_ Ishly
Apr 25, 2020 rated it liked it
I am sad, legit sad, that I couldn't like this picture book and found it to be a little too dull and something which lacks appeal.

The whole book looks a little gloomy, the artstyle is less appealing (this may be due to my lack of knowledge regarding the artists and their artstyle) and the story sequence a bit too dragging to hold the attention of children.

I guess the purpose of this picture book is to educate the kids about different types of vegetables and animals through the story of a potato
Michelle
Aug 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Happy Publication Day! 08-04-2020!

I have a Pug , so I may be partial but this children’s book is absolutely adorable !

Pugtato is digging in the dirt one day and finds a shiny, round; purple object. He isn’t sure what it is or what it could be used for , so he sets off to ask his “Spuddies” what they think. His friends, with their “blended” names :from Unicorn on The Cob to Croccoli and Collieflower are as cute as can be as they put their heads together to try to figure out what “Thing “ is.

5 sta
Israel
May 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs
This is the most precious baby I have ever seen.

I am in love with this book. Great rhyming and even better vegetable puns! I know kids of all ages will love this book and all the fun it holds inside! Useful for both classrooms and at home.

Go grab your bestest spuddies and read this book with them!

I received a digital ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Briar's Reviews
Ah, Pugtato. Once of the best names I've seen in a very long time for a book. The name alone made me pick this book up, but the premise and story kept me hanging on.

Pugtato is a pug who is also a potato. He's cute, adorable and likes to play in the mud. One day he finds a shiny things and decides to show his buddies, er.... spuddies. Many of the animals are also vegetable themed creatures, and all of them get to see the shiny thing pugtato has found!

This book was ridiculously cute and the premi
Jessica Haider
Apr 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, childrens
Very cute picture book featuring a pugtato, who is some sort of potato-pug hybrid. Quirky but it works! Pugtato lives in a garden with other vegetable-animal hybrids like Purrrsnip and tomatoad. One day while digging around Pugtato finds a swirly purple thing in the dirt. Pugtato takes the thing around to their garden friends to see if they know what it is. They have various ideas...nest warmer, scratcher, chew toy... but Pugtato knows that's not what the thing is.

My kids enjoyed this one. The
Christi M
May 07, 2020 rated it liked it
Pugtato is a wonderfully illustrated picture book filled with a lot of play on words that kids and adults will definitely all enjoy. However, I found the story ending a little confusing and felt like perhaps I missed something.

In Pugtato Finds a Thing, Pugtato is digging around in the mud when he finds a shiny round purple round thing. Having no idea what it is, Pugtato starts asking all of his different friends – Tweetroot (a turnip bird), Tomatoad (tomato-looking toad) and many others what the
Precious ✨
Jul 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-others, arc-s
This was such a sweet adorable book. I asked for this one because it looked like something I would buy my son when I take him on one of my book store adventures.

I really adored the illustrations. As well as the play on words with the animals and veggies. The message isn’t really deep or groundbreaking but simple and easy to understand while still mildly open to interpretation. Perfect for little ones, especially those with the shorter attention spans like my own.

Even though I have a digital co
Radwa
May 18, 2020 rated it liked it
I'm a sucker for cute animals and these are cute animals and vegetables mashups and it's so adorable. from the title, a mashup of a pug and a potato finds something in the ground and starts asking around about it. The art is so cute.

I thank Netgalley and Zonderkidz for the digital ARC.
Rach
May 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone with a soul
Listen I don't normally add children's books but I just read all 32 pages of Pugtato Finds a Thing OUT LOUD to my grown-adult husband because I love it THAT MUCH. More people!! Need to know!! About Pugtato!!!

THIS IS PUGTATO, HE'S A SIMPLE, GOOD SPUD.
Melanie Sligh
Apr 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Pugtato Finds a Thing was absolutely wonderful. First, the illustrations are great. They were vivid and not dull. Secondly, I loved Pugtato’s manners. Reading to my child, I was able to explain how asking and questioning kindly can get you the answers you need.

This was a great book, and my 4 and 2 year old both approve. I loved the uniqueness of the character and give this 5 stars. Thank you NetGalley and Zonderkidz for the eARC in exchange for the honest review.
Lydia Eagle
Jan 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: popsugar-2020
POPSUGAR 2020: A book with a pun in the title

Reading this today was one of the highlights of my entire life and I'm shocked and thrilled that it's even listed on Goodreads. I. Love. Pugtato. I wept in joyous laughter the whole way through, and you bet I'm counting it as "a book with a pun in the title" for POPSUGAR 2020.

Do yourself a favor and buy yourself a few copies for yourself and literally everyone you've ever met, so you'll always have one on hand. This book is important.
La Coccinelle
Sep 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
A fun, trippy romp through the garden, Pugtato Finds a Thing is the story of a pug-shaped potato who finds a mysterious Thing in the dirt. He asks all his friends what they think the Thing might be, only to be presented with a number of answers... none of which feel quite right. It takes a trip to the wisest creature in the garden before Pugtato manages to figure out what his beloved Thing is.

This is pretty imaginative. The garden is populated by a number of creative creatures, who are all hybri
Jul 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
PUGTATO FINDS A THING is an absolutely adorable, imaginative, and creative children's book that is sure to be giggle-worthy. I loved this story and highly recommend to it to anyone looking for a unique children's book.

Kids and adults alike will absolutely love this book! This will be a perfect snuggle book during story time with your favorite little children. I really liked the punny names of the vegimals.

I was given a copy free. All opinions are my own.
Lyndie
Apr 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Oh my goodness! Pugtato is absolutely the cutest little veggie-animal ever. The writing was clever and the rhymes flowed easily. Loved all the little animal-veggie combos especially brussel-snouts and crocolli. The illustrations were also great. Kids will really get a kick out of this little book! I know mine did!

I received a digital copy of this book from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
Cass Moskowitz
Apr 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was an adorable read! What a whimsical sense of fun and curiosity wrapped in a precious package of fun drawings. I want this book in every home!
Bandita
Apr 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs
This book was so cute and adorable! Perfect for children.
The illustrations were amazing. All the animals were portrayed in plant form which I thought was very unique and clever.
The story was sweet and had a moral.
This book will be great for kids!
Mehsi
I received this book from Netgalley in exchange of an honest review.

I just adore pugs and this is a pug that is a potato? Sign me up! Plus, I was definitely curious about what he finds and what he will do with it. But after reading it I can tell it was cute… but that was it.

Let’s start at the beginning where we meet our pugtato (he is so adorable) and see him dig around and dig up something very shiny. I really loved what he found and wouldn’t mind having something like that on a shelf in my hom
Beary Into Books
May 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Rating 4.5

The book "Pugtato Finds a Thing" by Zondervan is about the main character Pugtato trying to learn what he found. During his adventure we are introduced to all of his friends and shown how they interact with "Thing". While I enjoyed this story, I had bigger hopes based off of the cover and the synopsis. The story was cute but I found it to be too long, introducing too many characters but this of course is just my personal opinion. I read the story aloud to a little one and they loved it
Alexandra Donahue
Apr 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
"PUGTATO FINDS A THING BY ZONDERVAN AND SOPHIE CORRIGAN"
Pugtato Finds a Thing by Zondervan and Sophie Corrigan

To say that my niece is obsessed with pugs is putting it lightly. We have read countless pug books together, with many pug stuffies tucked into enjoy the story. So naturally when I came across this picture book I knew I had to review it with Samantha.

The thing we found when we literally gobbled up this delicious read, was pure joy. Joy in the vibrant, fun illustrations. Joy in the goofy
Janet
Apr 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing

When life for the entire universe and planet turns on its end and like everyone else you "have nothing to do" while your place of work is closed and you are in #COVID19 #socialisolation, superspeed readers like me can read 250+ pages/hour, so yes, I have read the book … and many more today. (I have played a "zillion games" of scrabble, done a "zillion crosswords" and I AM BORED!!!)

I requested and received a temporary digital Advance Reader Copy of this book from #NetGalley, the publisher and the
Becky
Apr 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thanks Netgalley for allowing me to read this title early in exchange for an honest review!
---
"Pugtato Finds a Thing" drew me in with it's adorable concept and cover. Within the pages, you follow Pugtato as he goes about his day, and he discovers a mysterious Thing buried in the dirt. He goes around and asks other mismatched animal veggies (Such as the "Purrsnip" or the Unicorn-on-the-cob, which I LOVE) what they think the Thing is supposed to be. This is a great picture book about following you
N.J.
May 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Pugtato Finds a Thing, by: Sophie Corrigan
This book draws you in from the start with its cute cover. The cuteness doesn’t end there it carries on through the whole book. Very creative characters that make you giggle as you turn each page. Pugtato offers a valuable message and teaches about taking care of your things and believing in others. This is an easy read and most likely entertaining for grades k-4 due to the cuteness of the character.
Sarah Murphy Traylor
Thank you, NetGalley, for a copy of this book! This book is AMAZING. Animals and vegetables are combined to make adorable animals, the sweet of all is Pug-Tato. Pug-tato takes us through his adventure to try to figure out what the Thing is that he discovered. Swet Pug-tato meets friends like the Unicorn on the Cob and the Croccoli (blend of Crocodile and Broccoli) and hijinks ensue. The book is told in rhyming verse, and the message is sweet and centers on love. Hoping to read many more adventur ...more
Kaitlyn
Apr 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I received this ebook from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I. LOVE. THIS. BOOK!!! I read it to my mom and she said she MUST have it for her future grandchildren! Haha. Seriously, EVERYONE needs to read this book. It's funny, full of bright colors, and teaches about animals and vegetables. But most of all, Pugtato teaches us about helping each other out when someone has a question and always being there for your "spuddies."

This book is filled with vegetables that are made into animal
Wendy
Apr 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
I was instantly charmed by the creative character names in this funny, creative and beautifully illustrated book.

Meet Pugato as he asks his friends: Tweetrood, Tomatoad, Purrsnip and Carrat to name a few, to help him figure out what to do with his newly found treasure. The main message of this story is certainly that reaching out for help and keeping well-wishing friends around you are very important - a message I would certainly love to pass on to children.

Although the story is very short, par
Kristina
Apr 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-read
This is an inventive children's story, with absolutely gorgeous illustrations. Also with the titular Pugato, this tale features animals personified as produce in a very unique style. Part of the fun of reading was seeing what hybrid animal/vegetable would come next! The story itself is told in rhyming verse and is quite clever. I can see children loving the silliness while absorbing the message that being kind is more important than being the smartest person in a group.

I received a PDF of this
OjoAusana
Apr 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2020
*received for free from netgalley for honest review* HES JUST A GOOD SPUD :'))) this book is too cute cant get over the animal-veggies, just too cute. Really want to own a hardcopy of this book lmao its just too cute. ...more
Eule Luftschloss
Apr 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Pugtato Finds a Thing. What is it? They don't know, so they go and ask their friends.

This book has all the food-animal puns and made me giggle. I imagine that reading it out loud will be much fun. The story is short and sweet, and the illustration are adorable and work perfectly with the text.

If this should become a series, I would like to read on. While the length of this one was perfect for the plot, I could see reading myself many more of these episodes.

I recieved a copy of this book in excha
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Time for Bed's Story
  • Ten Ways to Hear Snow
  • Unicorns Are the Worst!
  • Rage Against the Minivan: Learning to Parent Without Perfection
  • Gustavo, the Shy Ghost
  • These Women
  • How to Have a Better Relationship with Anybody: A Biblical Approach
  • Grown Ups
  • Murder in the Bayou Boneyard (Cajun Country Mystery #6)
  • Ray
  • Pterapunzel (Once Before Time Book 3)
  • We Shed Our Skin Like Dynamite
  • Fight Your Fears: Trusting God's Character and Promises When You Are Afraid
  • Oona
  • Mara the Space Traveler
  • Have You Seen Me?
  • I Am the Storm
  • It's MY Tree
Sophie Corrigan is a freelance illustrator and authour from Lancashire, UK. She graduated from University of Central Lancashire in 2013 with a first class degree in Illustration, and recieved a Distinction in her Masters degree in Children's Book Illustration from the same university.

When not illustrating and maintaining her online art shops, Sophie spends the spare time she has going to shows, w