Start by marking “The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (Zelda, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (Zelda, #3)

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

(The Legend of Zelda #3)

After sealing Ganondorf in the Sacred Realm, Link returns to the time when he was a boy. Peace has returned to Hyrule, but his old friend Navi is missing. While wandering the forest in search of Navi, he meets Skull Kid, who is wearing Majora's Mask, an artifact said to grant your wishes. The mischievous Skull Kid steals the Ocarina of Time from Link and turns Link into a ...more
Published February 3rd 2009 by VIZ Media - Children's (first published February 26th 2001)

Start your review of The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (Zelda, #3)
Emm C²
The manga is aimed at a younger audience, so is definitely not as dark as the original. If you aren't familiar, Majora's Mask was a video game that came out in 2000 (yes, it's been that long!) that became rather (in)famous for its heavy themes of death, depression, isolation and loss. It was also absurdly difficult, and it's been analyzed to death by people because of all the weird symbolism.

This comic was a load of fun - the art's true to form, most of the iconic characters get their moments, a
Myers Dylan
Oct 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book was astounding to me. And probably to a lot of other people too. This book was based of the hit Zelda game, The Legend of Zelda, Majora's Mask. Which was the sequel game to TLOZ, Ocarina of Time. Yet this game/book had a much different tone than any other Zelda game/book. The other books had some sort of humor, adventurous, and all-around happy feel to them, all while still maintaining a set goal. This book/game was different though. It had a more dark and depressing feel. Which isn't ...more
Kat!e Larson
Aug 07, 2015 rated it it was ok
Ugh, I was so disappointed in this. Maybe I just went into it expecting too much -- this is the first Zelda manga I've ever read. But it was terrible compared to the game.

The art was impressive, but the writing was awful -- maybe that's just the fault of the translator, but the game was translated, too, and the writing in that is beautiful.

I wanted the manga to explore some of the deeper and darker themes of this unique Zelda game, and instead it just told the story in a simplified and much le
Jack
Oct 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Legend Of Zelda: Majora's Mask is a Japanese manga about obviously the Zelda game Major's Mask. The story goes that Link is on his way to find Navi in the forest and he gets ambushed by the Skullkid (or Stalkid in this manga). Skullkid takes Link's Ocarina of time and leads Link of a cliff and into the world of Termina. Link must then get Majora's Mask back from Skullkid and save the land of Termina from the moon that will blow up the world if it crashes into Termina in the next 3 days. Alto ...more
Amanda Tamane
This is the first of the Legend of Zelda mangas that I've read (which means I'm reading them out of order, but it was the first one I grabbed out of the boxed set that my brother bought me for Christmas), and while it seems that they're meant for a fairly young audience, I enjoyed the simplified telling of the video game plot. The manga was released in chapters at roughly the same time that the game was released in Japan, so a lot of the story is conjecture, and the book contains a non-canonical ...more
Caden
Apr 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Legend of Zelda: Majoras Mask by Akira Himekawa is a graphic novel based on the game by the same name that released in 2000. This book is very faithful to the story of the game and I can say that as someone who has played the original game and the remake that released in 2014. Most Zelda books and games take place in a version of the kingdom of Hyrule but this story is one of the few that doesn't. This book takes place after the events of the book series The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time ...more
Rob
May 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
Majora's Mask is a faithful successor to Ocarina of Time. As with the games, this version of Link is clearly the same character and actually remembers some of the events of Ocarina of Time. As far as pacing, the story seems to jump around a lot, expecting a lot from the reader in terms of remembering the game and filling in narrative beats. Also, since Majora's Mask has so many "side-quests," the writers devoted one chapter to each major quest. This left the overall story feeling rather episodic ...more
Liv
Jun 23, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: comicked-book
while i REALLY ended up liking the ocarina of time manga, this one was....a little lackluster. probably not due to any fault of himekawa, but because the original game likely just Doesn't lend itself well to this sort of adaptation. it went by way too quickly, and all the atmosphere of the game was lost. i do think it handled skullkid very well though, and the bonus majora origin story was a cool touch
Lucas
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a good book, full of adventure. It is about a small boy who goes on a journey to become a great warrior. He ends up in the lost woods, a forest where children who have been lost turn into creatures of the forest and hide in the bushes and trees. One of the creatures ambushed a traveling merchant that sells masks and noticed a special mask with magical abilities called “Majora’s Mask.” The main character (Link) and this creature have an interaction. The creature steals Links’ horse and ta ...more
Luke Bedolla
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love Zelda so I read the book and I enjoyed it.
Kami
Jul 07, 2018 rated it liked it
- I've never played Majora's Mask, and I think I'm okay if I pass.

- This story was really weird, and the characters were weird.

- The moon was super creepy.

- I liked how Link used masks to turn into different races. That would be fun to do in the video game.
Collin Henderson
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Majoras mask is my favprite game ever made. It has been since I first played it at the age of eight and it still is after playing the 3ds remake a few years ago. Everything about it is so strange and wonderful, it crackles with an eldritch energy the likes of which I haven't seen before or since. And to top it off it has utterly superb gameplay.

This leads me to this manga adaptation. It's great! There's a lot of the game that is left out, like ikana canyon (which I would have LOVED to see) and
Tony
Oct 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Legend Of Zelda “Majora’s Mask” by Akira Himekawa is about a boy named Link who is on the search for his fairy friend Navi. While wandering through the forest in search of Navi, he meets skull kid. The devious Skull Kid steals the Ocarina Of Time from Link and turns him into a Deku Scrub. Link then ends up in the world of Termina where he has to go through four temples to find a special power that will help him defeat Skull Kid for good and save Termina.

The theme of this book was that not ev
Cha Cha
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This Legend of Zelda comic book is mostly about Link wearing masks like the Zora mask and the Goron mask. This is the story of the Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask video game. In the book, the big plot is about the Skull Kid - a bad guy - getting ahold of Majora's Mask, which is a special mask kept by the mask merchant. It is a special mask that the mask merchant says not to touch because you will get evil and the Skull Kid touched it and turned evil.

The Skull Kid takes Link's horse Epona and tran
Skyler
Feb 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
In the 2nd book of Akira Himekawa zelda series, Link is no longer in Hyrule,but Termina. He must save four giants. You must read this if your intrested in manga, and "The Legend of Zelda!"
Nick
Jun 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
The book follows the same plot as the game (cutting down on what is shown of the temples) and is a great way to view the plot of the game. I think the book helps build characters and to me is a one sitting book. My only real complaint is that they pushed the love story side quest stuff to the forefront which was lame. Overall, if you like zelda and have played the game, this is the book for you.
Shadow
Aug 11, 2013 rated it it was ok
That book was WEIRD! Kafei is MUCH cuter and less annoying as a kid...then again so is link...the storyline was creepy and I didn't really like it very much...
Anthonia
Sep 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I grew up with Link and Zelda. A must read for all manga lovers out there. A truly great series.
Hyrum Sutton
Oct 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This is a fun little book! I read the Legendary Edition, and it was my first experience with manga. I figured reading a story I already know and love would be a good way to get introduced to the genre. It's really cool seeing all my favourite Zelda characters come to life, and to see a side of Link that we don't get to see in the games: his voice. Link is actually a real character in this book, not just a reflection of the player!

Because Zelda games--Majora's Mask included--are mainly based arou
Philippa
I’m not usually one for skipping mid-way into a series but this was the first edition available back on Free Comic Book Day when I picked it up. I was excited to dive into my second manga after reading Pokemon earlier in the year.

I like to think that reading manga is reading outside of my comfort zone. Considering both of my manga reads to date have been about video games I have played, I think perhaps I am kidding myself on that one.

It was initially weird to me that the character of Link was ab
J
Dec 28, 2018 rated it liked it
The tone of of this entry does little to match the sorrow-laden dreadful echoing tale of the game.
Where the events of the game see Link revisiting the same events time and again in an attempt to get things right and gradually maneuver himself in a position to set things straight, the book takes a silly almost fickle approach to the story.
There is one time reversal and Link resolves the entire plot line in a single sequence. This removes much of the feeling of mistakes and missed opportunities. I
Arielle
Feb 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the last of the series that is about one of the games I have actually played (or even seen played), so from this point on I'm in new territory.

As far as this manga goes, I think it was done very well. I'm not sure if this is mentioned in my previous reviews, but this is the perfect play through. I mean, I don't know anyone who went through Majora's Mask without having to go back in time at least once more to get everything you need. I will say, the storytelling in this manga was fantasti
Willow Snyder
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-11-20
After saving Hyrule from doom in the future and being sent back in time, Link is on a search for his companion Navi, who has disappeared. Unfortunately he is intercepted by a imp called Skull Kid who happens to be in possession of a cursed, yet powerful mask. Skull Kid curses Link and so begins his journey to save Termina.

Legend of Zelda is my favorite video game. The fact that they are making manga off of the different games makes me very happy. These books basically add more story content. I l
Ashleigh Miller
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is such a good adaption of the Majoras's mask game into a book, while parts of this is different the story is amazing and easy to read. Not only this but the graphics in it is great and one that you need to check out.

The bonus story at the end to explain where the mask came from also makes this a must read for me as even if it isn't true it does give you a little bit more closure about the whole story.
NaTHaN McGeE
Nov 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
In the story, this kid named Skull kid steals a mask that is evil. He tries to make the moon fall but Link goes on a quest to summon these giants who stop it as it is falling. It´s a typical story line and the panels are hard to read because they are in random places. Other than some minor art mistakes, it´s a metioker book.
Xarmander
Mar 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Majora's Mask is one of my favourite games, not just in the LoZ franchise but overall. I really enjoyed this manga (view spoiler) I love the LoZ mangas because they allow Link to speak and it adds a whole new perspective to the narrative, which is already rich in the case of Majora's Mask. ...more
Amber-Leigh
May 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
This one was much better than the previous two books. It did a better job of bringing the story of the game alive without feeling feeling rushed. Obviously not everything was included - the final dungeon was glazed over and a lot of the side quests (which were a big part of the game) were either not there at all or barely hinted at - but what was there was well written.
Nicholas Hansen
Apr 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask was overall a good book. It fits with the pacing of the game, the only concern I have about it is that the story feels rushed and it breezes over everything. Overall the story was true to the game and it was fun to read.
Michael
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved playing Majora's mask as a game, and I really enjoyed reading this. It's a different way of enjoying the series and if you are new to the Legend of Zelda then it's a nice way to see more of the story.
Jessica
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels, manga
For the life of me, I do not remember “Majora’s Mask” being this sad. Seriously, I shed a tear while reading this for some reason.... Great work, though!

Also, the “Original Story” in this was a great story. If we had more of that, I would not complain because it was mysterious and mystical!
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Drawing the Vote: An Illustrated Guide to Voting in America
  • Pokémon Adventures, Vol. 4
  • Chi's Sweet Home, Volume 2
  • Michigan sur la route d'une War Bride
  • Codename: Sailor V, Vol. #2 (Codename: Sailor V Renewal Edition, #2)
  • It Came from Beneath the Sink! (Goosebumps, #30)
  • Pokémon X•Y, Vol. 11
  • Big Hero 6, Vol. 1
  • Natsume's Book of Friends, Volume 1
Akira Himekawa is the collaboration of two women, A. Honda and S. Nagano. Together they have created nine manga adventures featuring Link and the popular video game world of The Legend of Zelda, including Ocarina of Time, Oracle of Seasons and Four Swords. Their most recent work, Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass, was serialized in Shogaku Rokunensei.

The Legend of Zelda (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - Part 1 (Zelda, #1)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - Part 2 (Zelda, #2)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Zelda, #4)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages (Zelda, #5)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords - Part 1 (Zelda, #6)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords - Part 2 (Zelda, #7)
  • The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap (Zelda, #8)
  • The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (Zelda, #9)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (Zelda, #10)
  • The Legend of Zelda Complete Box Set