Start by marking “Catalyst (The Catalysts, #2)” as Want to Read:
Catalyst (The Catalysts, #2)

Catalyst

(The Catalysts #2)

Marcie is spending her summer working on the archeological dig that her mother runs: Angel Mounds, a site of an ancient indigenous civilization. Soon after she arrives, she meet some intriguing individuals, and becomes wrapped up in a supernaturally-charged mission to save the planet from the destruction man has brought upon itself.

Marcie Horton has a sixth sense. Not in t
Published June 2nd 2020 by Brown Books Publishing Group

To ask other readers questions about Catalyst, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Catalyst

Start your review of Catalyst (The Catalysts, #2)
Athena (OneReadingNurse)
Jul 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you so much to Books Forward for my advanced copy of Catalyst by Tracy Richardson!  This is the second book in a series but reads as a standalone with no spoilers, so no worries there.

This book contains a lot of really great messages for young readers, first and foremost the environmental consequences of our actions.  Marcie and her team are dealing with an energy company that wants to expand fracking in the area, and there is a great amount of info about that and other environmental disas
Jordan
May 22, 2020 rated it liked it
Thank you to for providing me with a copy of this novel for review purposes.

Plot:

This summer, Marcie is spending time working at Angel Mounds, the archeological dig her mother heads, along with her brother, Eric, and his girlfriend, Renee. The dig is the site of an ancient indigenous civilization, and things immediately shift into the paranormal when Marcie and her teammates meet Lorraine and Zeke.

The two mysterious dig assistants reveal their abilities to access the Universal Ene
(Ellie) ReadtoRamble
May 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
I read this book for a blog tour, so thank you to the blog tour organiser and author for inviting me to take part in this tour and for sending me a free copy of the book in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

At first, I wasn't too sure about this book, I was really interested in the archaeological parts of this book and would really loved to have more information about this part, as well as the part about the contact that Marcie had with the Native American girl.

There was q
Nora Eliana | Papertea & Bookflowers
Originally posted on Papertea & Bookflowers

I really wanted to like Catalyst. I love that more and more books talk about the environment and that we can’t continue the way we do things now. I love that especially YA books take on this theme and I was also really curious about the work at the archaeological dig. I study anthropology so I know a thing or two about digs.

The concept of Catalyst was really good and had so much potential but unfortunately, the book just wasn’t for me.

The beginning was
Leslie aka StoreyBook Reviews
Aug 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020, books-to-review
This is the second book in this series but can be read on its own.  You get to know some of the characters in the first book, The Field, and there are a few references to what Eric was working on, but nothing that would hold you back.  I don't remember much about Marcie from the first book but would assume she was introduced since she is Eric's sister and that we learned something about her.

All that aside, this book was quite enjoyable. The pacing was just right, the characters were interesting,
Ashlee
May 23, 2020 rated it liked it
Thank you Dave at The Write Reads for asking me to be part of this blog tour! I received an advanced copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Catalyst takes place at an archeological dig site of an ancient indigenous civilization. The main character, Marcie, is working there this summer with Eric (her brother), Renee (Eric’s girlfriend), and her mother, the lead archeologist for the dig. As soon as Marcie makes eye contact with Lorraine and Zeke, two graduate students working at the di
Lili  Marcus
May 23, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult, sci-fi
Before reading this, I read book 1 of the series, for which the copy was also provided by the author and host of this blog tour. That said, I have an idea of what I’m getting into with Catalyst. Catalyst is a young adult science fiction with a hint of supernaturals. It’s also about saving the world. In short, Catalyst is about the world before total destruction, before dystopia. That, for me, is a very interesting concept. I like it when the main characters are already in action before it’s too ...more
Kerri
May 25, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: thewritereads
I’ve read a lot of science fiction in my time. Like… a lot. So when I found out that this book was a YA sci-fi, I thought I had a vague idea of what I was getting into. This book, however, managed to surprise me!

This is the story of Marcie Horton, a young high school student with strange abilities, is spending her summer working on her mother’s archaeological dig with her brother and his girlfriend. Upon their arrival, they met two graduate students that seem to not only know about Marcie’s abil
T.R. Horne
Jun 01, 2020 rated it liked it
Richardson writes a likable main character in Marcie. She’s got the makings of being a strong-willed yet kind-hearted protagonist along with other abnormal (not quite paranormal) gifts. The story starts with Marcie, her twin brother Eric and his girlfriend Renee going to a summer dig site headed up by their mom. At the site, they meet up with two graduate students who seem strange to them at first and later, show them their uncanny powers. They claim this power is from Universal Energy Field. I ...more
Tessa (Talks Books)
May 28, 2020 rated it liked it
Catalyst is an enlightening tale toward a better tomorrow full of magic and mysteries of the universe. The story transported me to another dimension made of beauty, light, and all that is good.

Instead of being plot-focused or character-focused, Catalyst is an issue-focused story that explains to YA readers the importance of changing how things are done as a way to save our planet from imminent destruction. Focusing on fracking, the story provides a list of reasons why it is terrible as well as t
A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol)
Book source ~ Tour

Marcie Horton has connected once before with a spirit when she was thirteen. But that was four years ago and she feels like she’s missing something by not having any further contact with anything…other. She’s hoping a summer working on her mother’s archeological dig will distract her from a feeling of missing out on something big. Joined by her older brother Eric and his girlfriend Renee, they barely get settled in when two graduate students let the three of them and another st
Elizabeth Tabler
May 24, 2020 rated it liked it
Catalyst is a book with enormous ideas. It takes on fracking, environmental degradation, thoughts, human relationships, religion, archaeology, and familial relationships. Those ideas are a lot to cover in 248 pages. Frankly, if you focused on even one of these ideas, you could cover it, but all is a tall order. But, in general, Catalyst conveys what it sets out to. It is a story about an archeological dig site and how environmental degradation is happening all over the planet.

One of the main fo
Theartsyreader
May 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, sci-fi
Catalyst is an enlightening YA story that is not very focused on plot but more on characters, the issues at hand and what’s between the lines. It makes you think about what is being said, and about everything that’s left unsaid, and I think that’s part of what makes it so powerful.

I really liked that Catalyst contains a lot of information on things you probably don’t hear about in your daily life (at least that was the case for me). Instead of being preachy or coming across like a school book t
Kaili (Owl Book World)
Catalyst is a young adult novel that helps send out the message of saving earth. The book ended up not really being for me. The message with this book is to kind of help teach others about the world dying and how some don't really care or believe. I guess since this isn't really a premise that I'm inspired and interested in I ended up losing interest in the book. Don't get me wrong though. I do feel like the book is well written and the characters are very likeable. It just wasn't for me. ...more
Stephen Donovan
May 27, 2020 rated it it was ok

This may not be an especially long book, but it is packed throughout with a continual stream of abstract and outlandish ideas. It contains a very strong overarching message and it was clear what kind of story the author was trying to tell, however I felt there were flaws that lay in the execution of some of these concepts, which made it less of an enjoyable read.

The main plot strands focus primarily on conveying an elaborate science fiction premise, along with exploring an environmental
TheBookDude
May 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
I was on a blog tour for this book and so got the book for free. That has not affected my review in any way.

I liked this one!

I won’t say I LOVED this one, but yes I liked it.

Catalyst is a book with a strong message and big ideas. It is well written and goes in depth on fracking, environmental catastrophes, love and friendships, religion, spirituality… and the list goes on and on. I almost feel like the author tackles a few too many topics for such a relatively short book. To me it feels like th
Sarah Carter
May 24, 2020 rated it liked it
“I feel a little like I’m stepping off a cliff into the unknown, but if I don’t move forward, I know I’ll regret it.”

Marcie wants to believe that she has had contact with spirits, but doesn’t know who she can talk to about her experience. However, as soon as she arrives on her mother’s archeological dig for the summer, she immediately senses something different about her team leaders. Lorraine and Zeke say they are graduate students, but when they take Marcie, her brother, his girlfriend and Leo
Hollylovesbooks
May 31, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5 stars!
The synopsis was the first thing that drew me to this book. I have read a lot of reviews for this book and I heard some really great things as well as some ok things and I was intrigued to see what I would think of it? Even though a lot of information is dumped on you all at once the opening chapters still had me so hooked. Everyone was being so mysterious. We get introduced to Marcies powers straight away as well as a lot of the characters who are equally mysterious and I just had to
Aidan Gibson
Jul 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed spending time with the Horton family again. I recently finished The Field (The Catalysts, #1). As a teenage boy, I may have related more to Eric (the main character of The Field) than his sister Marcie, the main character in this second book. However, I enjoyed this second book and appreciated that both siblings have understanding/powers outside of what we currently know.

Marcie and her brother Eric, along with his girlfriend Renee, are helping out with a dig that their mom, an archaeol
Barred Owl Books
Apr 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Marcie Horton has a sixth sense. Not in the “I see dead people” way, but . . . well, maybe a little. She feels a sort of knowing about certain things that can’t be explained—an intuition that goes beyond the normal. Then there was that one summer four years ago, when she connected with a long-departed spirit . . . But nothing that incredible has happened to Marcie since. This summer, Marcie is spending time working at Angel Mounds, the archeological dig her mother heads, along with her brother, ...more
Lisa
May 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
I got this book as part of a blog tour.

While I have to say I really liked this one the first thing I will say about this book is its not going to be for everybody. It is in a word … ok well two words OUT THERE. I feel that a lot will love it and a lot will hate it.

For the longest time I was unsure which side of that argument I would end up on. There were certainly elements which I feel needed more work, but for me at least the positives definitely outweigh the negatives. I loved the archaeolog
Anjedah / bookriot_awesomeyou
First thing first I absolutely liked the theme of this book, archaeological dig and environmental protection against fracking. this thing fracking is new to me you need to read this book to understand the concept of what is a problem relating to this.

i really liked concept of archaeological dig and sixtieth sense but I dint like writing style. There are a lot of scientific description going on which is a bit too much for me. The plot really had potential to be a superb book. But it get hard to g
Amber Jones
Jun 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was a wonderful book even for someone that isn't a young adult i would suggest they read it. Its truly an amazing novel, full of mystery, sci-fi, love, and environmental worries that plague us today.

I really root for Marcie and Leo, they are such a cute couple but throughout the story Leo is turning more and more into this horrible guy proving he isn't as great as you think in the beginning. But you will have to read the book to find out what happens.

There are so many crazy things that happ
Maureen
May 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a very enjoyable book and a rare YA with a thoughtful message. I really liked the characters and the premise of a young girl and her friends using their extrasensory abilities to try to save our earth and its resources. It's very well written, and the author tells the story without shoving the message down the reader's throat. Its compelling and thought provoking though, and I hope more young people read this!

I was sent an arc by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
Lel Budge
Jun 01, 2020 rated it liked it
Catalyst is a difficult book to categorise, yes it’s YA, and it deals with environmental issues such as fracking, and the deeper meaning of human consciousness. Is there more to this world than that we see?. It’s also about relationships between the characters and how they interact.

It has science, archaeology, telepathy and spirituality in a complex mix. The thought provoking plot makes this a intriguing and interesting read.

Thank you to The Write Reads for the opportunity to take part in this b
VIRGINIA BIASIZZO
Mar 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Another cool concept book by Author of The Field, Tracy Richardson.
This story brings real life issues of sustaining clean water while harvesting oil to the fore as the main characters encounter High Beings that shape their future. Great for young readers and adults!
Katy Kelley
Mar 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It really made me think. Both the supernatural/science fiction aspects and the focus on environmental issues. It's YA but really for anyone who wants to expand their thinking. Highly recommended! ...more
Sarah Anderson-Pagal
Jun 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
I was sent an ARC from Books Forward to review.

When I started the book I was intrigued, but not wowed. I wasn't sure if I was going to love it as much as I did.

After reading the first few chapters, I was hooked.

The book is centered around Marcie Horton. She experienced an incident where a young native spirit came to her for help. This time she is on an archeological dig, that her mother is heading. Her teams leads, Zeke and Lorraine, give off an aura. They are not what they seem.

They choose Ma
Csimplot Simplot
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book!!
Bookbugworld
Jun 01, 2020 rated it liked it
Catalyst advocates the need to care for our planet with a strong plot. The message it delivers is vital and the approach is a bit different from the other fantasies with similar theme.

Read the complete bob-spoiler review in my blog : https://bookbugworld.com/review/catal...

• Promises Forged (Venators #2)
  • Harrow Lake
  • Crossing in Time (Between Two Evils, #1)
  • Knightmare Arcanist (Frith Chronicles, #1)
  • The Beast and the Bethany
  • The Ship of Shadows (The Ship of Shadows, #1)
  • May Day (Seekers, #1)
  • Amari and the Night Brothers (Supernatural Investigations, #1)
  • Bad Habits
  • Ondskabens engel (Den store djævlekrig, #4)
  • Magic Unleashed (Venators, #1)
  • Legends Rise (Venators #3)
  • Vultures (Shadow Twins #1)
  • What Beauty There Is
  • Den forkerte død (Den Store Djævlekrig #3)
  • Dødens terning (Den store djævlekrig, #2)
  • The First of Shadows (The Riven Realm #1)
  • Gideon the Ninth (The Locked Tomb, #1)
Tracy Richardson lives in Indianapolis and spends her free time reading - almost any genre, cooking, dancing and making things - usually from yarn or fabric.

The Catalysts (2 books)
  • The Field (The Catalysts, #1)