Start by marking “A New Kind of Everything” as Want to Read:
A New Kind of Everything

A New Kind of Everything

After their father’s reckless death, the Gallagher family must find new directions. Dinny’s mum finds a new form of freedom, but the paths the boys are choosing are pointing them in dangerous directions.

Fourteen-year-old Dinny is in danger of repeating his father’s behaviour, and his older brother Carl sees an opportunity for independence. But when Carl becomes involved in
Published February 1st 2020 by Omnibus Books

To ask other readers questions about A New Kind of Everything, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A New Kind of Everything

Start your review of A New Kind of Everything
Simone
Nov 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is unlike anything else I've read in middle grade/young YA. A curious but at times distressing look into the lives of a family reeling with the death of their complicated father. Dinny is a sweet but passive protagonist, in a relatable way for that age, as an outsider and someone who feels disconnected from the world around him. Each character is fully formed and complex, not unlike a Shakespeare play, (view spoiler) ...more
K.
Trigger warnings: death of a parent, car accident, racism, (view spoiler)

If I had to describe this book in a word, it would be "bleak". I mean, I knew from the blurb that it wasn't going to be a walk in the park. But between the choppy writing, feeling like I didn't know the characters at all, and the bleak plot, this was just a miserable read for me.

*shrugs*
AD
Feb 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Exploring themes of family relationships, friendships and belonging, as well as touching on suicide, domestic violence, and child abuse, this is not a book for younger readers. Having said that, it's a powerful and thought provoking coming-of-age story (reminiscent of The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton) which I would recommend for students from Year 9 and up. There are some wonderful analogies used throughout this book to provoke both Dinny and the reader to think deeply about concepts around racism, ...more
Troy
Feb 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Solid older reader Australian YA here. The writing style is dream like at times and carries a level of intensity that culminates in the final sequences.

This story of the Gallagher family is told through Dinny, the younger son of two. Dinny's father has recently been killed in a car accident and how the family deal with that, and the family history that surfaces as a result of that reflection, directs the family in a variety of ways.

Its quite emotional, I pitied the mother at the end. I found t
Kerri Jones
Mar 27, 2020 rated it liked it
An insightful book with deep emotional connection. I found the narrative confusing at times and had to read between the lines quite often to draw the story out. I’m not sure the YA community will bother with that.
Liz Derouet
Jun 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful and devastating, Richard Yaxley is an amazing writer.
Krystal Gagen-Spriggs
Mar 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thought provoking, sad, and filled with tension. Not my usual cup of tea but I am glad I read it. I will give one warning: there is violence and anger in this story.
Someone365
Apr 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Beware of the past it might just repeat itself.
Trisha
Such beautiful, thoughtful writing on confronting, topical concerns.
Mel Hudson

• The Weekend
  • When the Ground Is Hard
  • The Dog Runner
  • The F Team
  • Contact (The Phoenix Files, #2)
  • Deep Water
  • None Shall Sleep
  • After the Lights Go Out
  • Across the Risen Sea
  • The Year of the Farmer
  • House of Earth and Blood (Crescent City, #1)
  • The Survivors
  • Bruny
  • The January Stars
  • Impossible Music
I write powerful and engaging stories for all age groups. My novels are:

- A New Kind of Everything (Scholastic 2020)
- The Happiness Quest (Scholastic 2018; CBCA Notable Book for Older Readers 2019)
- This Is My Song (Scholastic 2017; ACU Book Of The Year 2019; Winner of the 2018 Prime Minister’s Literary Award for Young Adult Literature; Finalist in the 2017 Queensland Literary Awards; also publish