Start by marking “Fuchs 8” as Want to Read:
Fuchs 8

Fuchs 8

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  8,358 ratings  ·  1,368 reviews
A darkly comic short story, a fable about the all too real impact that we humans have on the environment

Fox 8 has always been known as the daydreamer in his pack, the one his fellow foxes regarded with a knowing snort and a roll of the eyes. That is, until Fox 8 develops a unique skill: he teaches himself to speak "Yuman" by hiding in the bushes outside a house and
Published October 28th 2019 by Luchterhand Literaturverlag (first published 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Fuchs 8, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Emily
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  8,358 ratings  ·  1,368 reviews

Start your review of Fuchs 8
Maggie Stiefvater
Jul 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult, recommended
This little thing is but a mouthful of fiction, but what a lot of flavors in that mouthful —funny, sweet, sad, and hopeful. I'm asking the same questions you are, Fox 8 ... ...more
Justin Tate
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OMG! It's rare for me to literally laugh out loud, but this short story had me cracking up every page--actually more like every paragraph. George Saunders' wicked way with words is never more exemplified than here, in the point of view of a fox. His glorious misspellings and hilarious societal observations are just perfect throughout. Despite being a 30-45 minute read, this one will endure with me forever.

Side note: I'm an audio lover, but you have to read this one to get the jokes. After
Lisa
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Imagine a fox with such daydreaming power that he falls in love with human storytelling and learns to speak and write "human" by listening to stories read at bedtime, hiding behind a window.

Imagine him setting out on an adventure that goes entirely wrong because he has based his idea of humanity on that wonderful skill of ours to tell stories, and not on real experience of our random cruelty.

What would make the heartbroken fox heal? Understanding, answers. So he sets out to write a letter, and
Melki
Fox 8 has learned to speak "Yuman" by sitting outside a house at night while a lady reads to her pups.

description

Though sometimes he takes umbrage at what she reads, particularly that one story about a sly fox that tricked a chicken . . .

We do not trik Chikens! We are very open and honest with Chikens! With Chikens, we have a Super Fare Deel, which is they make the egs, we take the egs, they make more egs.
Not Sly at all.
Very strate forword.

But now, the foxes are starving, and Fox 8 must attempt a
Sadie Hartmann Mother Horror
"Yumans wud walk by and go: Hey, look, Foxes. And drop a bit of fud at us. Soon we had karmel korn, sevral parshul biskits, plus a pare so fresh it did not even stink.
I woslike: This must be Fud Cort
Fox 7 woslike: I gess."

I'm CRYING!!!
It seems as though George Saunders knows exactly what Sadie Hartmann loves to DEATH. I love anthropomorphic stories like WATERSHIP DOWN with the rabbit colony or Disney's Robin Hood with the cute foxes. There's something so endearing about giving animals a human
Malia
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fox 8 started out with me chuckling aloud, and ended with me near tears. That’s a lot of emotion for a book just short of 50 pages. It’s unusual, original and very relevant. I’m not sure how to describe any better than the synopsis above does, but I will say it’s well worth reading and I don’t think I’ll be forgetting it anytime soon.

Find more reviews and bookish fun at http://www.princessandpen.com
Henk
Dec 21, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short, sweet and kind of familiar, but overall satisfyingly fitting in the Christmas spirit
We follow Fox 8 , who picked up “Yuman” language and is quite a dreamer and an optimist. His world is shaken up by the building of a “Mawl” and an act of sudden cruelty. Fortunately he finds friends in the end so that he can plea for kindness at the conclusion of this fable.

The book is rather sweet in my opinion, but beautifully illustrated. In terms of story, I haven’t yet read Watership Down, but Fox 8
Chandra Claypool (wherethereadergrows)
If my review doesn't make sense, it's because I'm writing this through watery eyes. WOW this book packs a PUNCH! It's absolutely brilliant in every aspect. Adorable illustrations, the view of a fox, the writing itself.. I really could go on and on.

This is a tale of innocence. A fox trying to be better to find a way to supply food to his family. One single act changes him forever. The lesson here is deep and certainly socially relevant.

Things I absolutely loved was the way it was written - the
Judith E
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are a lot of life lessons packed in this little ditty about a fox that learns to read and speak in ‘Yuman’. As his journey takes him from his cozy fox community, to the shopping mall, and then to a new den and life, he questions why Yumans can’t be nicer.

Creative, succinct, and a bit whimsical, George Saunders’ message is loud and clear. Thanks for reminding us!
Garrett Zecker
Jan 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first work by Saunders I have ever read was his bestselling Tenth of December this past year, and I was blown away by his literary prowess, mesmerized with the word dance and structure of reality he portrays in his work. Fox 8 was a little Kindle Single impulse buy, and for 99c I could enter into a Saunderian world once more. I bit like a sly… er… you get the point.

The thing about this text is that there really was nothing special about it on the surface. It is small, simple, and in terms of
David J
George Saunders is known for such literary achievements as Tenth of December and Man Booker-winner Lincoln in the Bardo, but I went with his newest story as my first foray into his work. And while I did enjoy the character of Fox 8 and his quirky dialect, I was ultimately left asking myself: But what’s so new about this?

Fox 8 is a curious daydreamer and learns to speak Yuman while listening to children’s bedtime stories outside of a bedroom window. But with this new insight, Fox 8 soon learns
Vivek Tejuja
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There are some books that just nestle into your heart and stay there. For me, those have been the likes of An Uncommon Reader by Alan Bennett, Sputnik Sweetheart by Haruki Murakami, The Collected Works of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin, Breakfast at Tiffany’s by Capote, and The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery. You get the drift, don’t you? These are the kind of books that can be read to soothe me, when I am feeling down. I am certain we all have these kind of books – the ones that make ...more
Tara
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novella
I found myself more engaged with this long short story than I thought I would be. Saunders narrates as FOX 8, the name given to a real fox by his den. It's in the form of a letter or story to "Yumans." Part of the charm is the phonetic spelling throughout, because of course a fox cannot spell but has learned "werds" from listening to Yumans tell stories. Normally I hate this gimmick, but in Saunders' hands, it shines.

What is at times sweet, funny, recognizable, is at other times dark and tragic,
Ron Charles
Small but powerful. Everything about George Saunders’s new book, “Fox 8,” is unusual. It was published Tuesday in a tiny hardback edition with illustrations by Chelsea Cardinal, but it’s been available as an ebook for years, and the story first appeared in McSweeney’s back in 2010, long before Saunders won the Booker Prize for “Lincoln in the Bardo.” It’s about a fox who learns to speak “Yuman” by listening to children’s bedtime stories. (“First may I say, sorry for any werds I spel rong.”) When ...more
Claire
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: best-of-2019
Fox 8 is truly, a story of our time, and Saunders is at his absolute finest here. Fox 8 is a fable of the cruelty of humankind. In it, we are exceptional, creative, and powerful. But we are also, egotistic, selfish, unthinking, and cruel. It is a timely reminder that we are not all that inhabit this earth, and that we must engage more carefully with the world around us. Saunders writes with both humour and tenderness, constructing a story that is as confronting as it is entertaining. I loved it.
Shaun
Apr 16, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2013
2.5 stars because I'm not sure I liked it even though I can appreciate the creativity involved.

Let mee start bi saying that wile reeding this it ocurd to mee that when yoo become famus yoo can doo no rong. Yoo can rite short storees and use fonetic speling becuz after al, yoo are famus and sum won wil always bi yoor book/storee and clame it is geneous, becuz anee thing rittin bi Jorj Sawnders is bi deefawlt brileant.

Fox 8 by George Saunders is a short storee abowt a fox called Fox 8 hoo lurns to
Sara
Dec 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novella, awwww, foxes
This was a delightful and bittersweet story of a very clever fox who has managed, somewhat, to get his paws around the English language enough to write the story of his life. Once you adjust to the prose style (the fox, being a fox, spells phonetically for the most part) this really is wonderful. Fox 8 is the most precocious and adventurous fox in his tribe (hence the English learning) and when human's destroy their home and cut off the food supply he goes on a journey to save his family.

At
Peter Tillman
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Well, it's not bad, but the fake fox dialect gets old fast, as does the heavy-handed message. The best part was the illustrations, by Chelsea Cardinal. And it's an attractive small book. I read an almost-new library copy in about 15 minutes. With some skimming. 1.5 stars, rounded up for the cool art.

OK, it really is pretty bad. Saunders has fallen into the old trap of playing in someone else's genre, and he's just not very good at it. The story that instantly came to mind, was "The Coon Rolled
Jon Nakapalau
Dis story is abot Fox 8 who lerns to spek yuman - but yumans are very confusing, nice then very bad to foxes, why? A great fable about a fox that learns about human nature - and can now teach us about the nature of human kindness and cruelty - highly recommended.
Betsy Robinson
Dec 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This illustrated short story broke my heart. It is a plea for compassion and goodness. Thanks to my Goodreads friends for reviewing this beautiful little book and letting me know about it. Without you, my reading life would be so bland.
Stacey
Nov 27, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this on the 'lucky day' shelf at the library. It's short so I thought why not? I'm not familiar with George Saunders, but recognize a few of the titles of his other books.

This is written from Fox 8's pov. It's an animal so how can it have a pov you might ask. Saunders was very clever at giving Fox 8 a voice. It was effective and a little obnoxious, but it's a short story so I continue on. Fox 8 learns the Yuman language by peering into windows at night and listening then translating to
Laura Noggle
⁉8 ... ... ‼

48 page fable.

It took me a minute to adjust to a talking fox, I admit. Still, there's a heartfelt sentiment/moral to the story.

The spelling is a bit of a hurdle, but it's atmospheric in its own way:

“I know life can be gud. Most lee it is gud. I have drank cleen cold water on a hot day, herd the soft bark of the one I luv, watched sno fall slow, making the wuds kwiet.”
Ana
Deer Reeder:
First may I say, sorry for any werds I spel rong. Because I am a fox! So don’t rite or spel perfect. But here is how I lerned to rite and spel as gud as I do!

And I woslike: Fox 8, this Yuman reeder is complete lee luvving this buk!

2019 Read Harder Challenge
Task #12: A book in which an animal or inanimate object is a point-of-view character
Elliot de Vries
Jun 11, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I well and truly hated this story. Even more so because of the brief glimmer of potential insight which it ignores.

To start with the uncomplicatedly awful, there is Saunders’ fox dialect. Fox 8 writes curiously like the way the teenagers in Victory Lap speak, with the addition of nonstandard spelling. Literary tics proliferate, including a particularly ugly affectation involving colons (“You are neerly all eyes, due to: super hungry.”) Saunders loves the word “très” (Fox 8 is variously “Tray
Rebecca
(3.5) Fox 8 learned human language by sitting outside windows and listening to children’s bedtime stories. Now he has a story of his own to tell, and it’s full of accusations of what humans have done to his kind, starting with destroying their habitat to build a mall and parking lot. “I woslike: Why did the Curator do it so rong, making the groop with the gratest skils the meenest?” There’s a couple of scenes here that will be hard for animal lovers to take (this seems inevitable in any book in ...more
Maryam
Aug 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A dark comic book, written from a fox point of view! A long letter to Yumans who looked Nise at first but then did horrible things....
Fatma
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-a-day

WHO HURT FOX 8 I JUST WANNA TALK
Tracey
Aug 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This was such a great short story. I was actually laughing at some parts, which only made the sad ending hit me even harder. Really well done.
MariaWitBook
Oct 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute little book. Fox 8 is right. We should be nice/nicer
Gabrielle
OK, I guess it's "unpopular opinion" o'clock...

The story of “Fox 8” is a sweet fable about animals, their relationship to both humans and nature, and the way their natural habitat is often endangered by human activities. It is meant to make us aware on our entitlement over resources, to awaken our consciousness to the needs of ecosystems that surround us. It is narrated by a little fox, that taught itself to speak “Yuman”, and while I can appreciate the creativity in the use of language, it
Fox 8... the final question 1 30 Jan 20, 2019 05:23PM

• Mary Ventura and the Ninth Kingdom
  • Weil Venus bei meiner Geburt ein Alpenveilchen streifte
  • Good Talk: A Memoir in Conversations
  • The Nickel Boys
George Saunders was born December 2, 1958 and raised on the south side of Chicago. In 1981 he received a B.S. in Geophysical Engineering from Colorado School of Mines in Golden, Colorado. He worked at Radian International, an environmental engineering firm in Rochester, NY as a technical writer and geophysical engineer from 1989 to 1996. He has also worked in Sumatra on an oil exploration ...more
“If you want your Storys to end happy, try being niser.” 12 likes