Start by marking “Little Red and the Crocodile (Fractured Fairytale Book 1)” as Want to Read:
Little Red and the Crocodile (Fractured Fairytale Book 1)

Little Red and the Crocodile (Fractured Fairytale Book 1)

Meet Zara! She’s a smart, friendly, and curious girl who loves to visit her Auntie. This is a FRACTURED version of a famous tale. This retelling of Little Red Riding Hood takes the reader to the Louisiana swamps where we meet a new character in Cory the Crocodile. Will Little Red follow her mother’s rules? Will Cory the Croc succeed? Find out what happens when they meet on ...more
Kindle Edition
Published November 15th 2019

To ask other readers questions about Little Red and the Crocodile, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Red and the Crocodile

Start your review of Little Red and the Crocodile (Fractured Fairytale Book 1)
La Coccinelle
Nov 26, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: arc, children, netgalley
This isn't really what I was expecting. This is a retelling of "Little Red Riding Hood" set in Louisiana with a crocodile instead of a wolf. It leaves out the characteristic aspects of the story ("What big teeth you have, Grandmother!") and instead relies on people's familiarity with the original tale to get the somewhat preachy point across. (The message is literally spelled out in the last paragraph. Subtle, it isn't.)

I have a few problems with this. First, there's the writing. It's confusing
Kristen
Nov 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
There's a reason why some stories are enduring and continue to amaze and delight through time. Little Red Riding Hood is often attributed to the Brothers Grimm in the 17th Century however evidence suggest that its origins lay much earlier and across several european countries, some as early as the 10th Century! The morals of the story are however what gives it the longevity and are still miraculously pertinent today. Johnsons retelling of the classic is brilliantly updated to resonate with today ...more
Carro Herdegen
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kiss-the-book
Language: G (0 swears, 0 “f”); Mature Content: G; Violence: G
Little Red is excited to visit her aunt over spring break -- too excited to follow her mother’s directions. Not following directions is fun and doesn’t seem to be hurting anyone. What’s the worst that could happen?
While the premise of moving Little Red Riding Hood to a Louisiana swamp sounds fun, I feel like this version doesn’t bring anything new to the story. I also feel that Johnson throws the moral of the story in at the end withou
Janet Balletta
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
5 Gold Stars for Little Red and the Crocodile

Little Red and the Crocodile by Suzane Johnson is a fractured fairy tale sensation! There are so many wonderful lessons for children in this book. Zara or Little Red as she is nicknamed is off to visit her Aunt Moshee in the swamps of Louisiana. Her mother warns her not to talk to strangers, go straight to her destination, and not to stop and play her friends on the way. She also reminds Little Red to use her manners and say, “please and thank you.” L
WS_BOOKCLUB
Jan 07, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Thank you to the author for providing me with this book in exchange for my honest opinion.

As you can probably tell from the above description, this children’s book is a twist on Little Red Riding Hood. Instead of Red, there’s a sweet little girl named Zara. She is supposed to bring her goodies to her aunt Moshee. Her mother warns her to go straight there, without getting distracted or talking to strangers. Of course, she doesn’t listen. If she had, there wouldn’t be a story. Instead, Zara befrie
Maritza Mejia
Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a created version of the famous tale Little Red Riding Hood with black and white illustration by Ayessa contrasted by Little Red’s bright red coat. The author, Suzan Johnson takes the readers to the Louisiana swamps where the story takes place.

The story begins when Zara, the Little Red, embarks on her adventure to Aunt Moshee’s house feeling confident to follow her mother’s advice and walk alone to Auntie. Little Red distracted along the way enjoying the sunny day, beautiful flowers at
Suzanne Hare
Dec 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Zorra is an independent and friendly child who loves spending time with her aunt. She goes off on a trip to visit her aunt with strict instructions to go straight there. But she forgot and trouble came in the form of a crocodile.
This is a delightful updated version of Little Red Riding Hood with a great message for children. The illustrations are well done and I especially enjoyed the use of red in a black and white picture. The crocodile is not scary looking. The story is exciting and interest
Donna C
Jan 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Little Red And The Crocodile is a fractured fairy tale, that would be a great read aloud for a group or as part of a unit on Fractured Fairy Tales. The story was engaging and creative. Zara was an imaginative version of Little Red Riding Hood. She made a fun relatable character for kids. My Sons 7 and 4 wanted more color in the illustrations, but I understand that it is the style the author wanted so it opened up a discussion about the types of illustrations The loved to compare the story to the ...more
Lindsay DeRollo
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A fun & unique fairy-tale adventure that kids will love

This is a really cute story for kids that will teach them a valuable lesson about the importance of kindness, obedience and following your heart. With adorable illustrations, this fun adventure will bring about excitement, and is educational at the same time. At the end of the book there are fun facts and illustrations (along with website links) about the state of Louisiana, which is where the story takes place. Highly recommended!
Courtney B. Dunlap
Apr 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a cute book! I absolutely LOVED the illustrations. They were so reminiscent of anime! What a cool take on that in my opinion. The story was fun and close enough to the childhood fairytale of Little Red Riding Hood but with its own spin. I loved the facts about the state of Louisiana and swamps at the end of the book as well as the acrostic poem suggestion. That was a great addition to keep the conversation going! Great job!
Pat Eroh
Dec 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love fractured fairytales and this one is one of the best. With Zara as Little Red Riding Hood and a crocodile in the wolf's place, what could be better? Zara is a great kid and while she does not follow her mother's rules, kids are under constant threat. This book is a timely example and teaches a wonderful message. Beautifully illustrated as well.

jacquie
Sep 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Such a wonderful book!

A wonderful book! My daughter already asking for this to be read to her again tomorrow :). This is not just a wonderful story, it teaches children about kindness and being a good person. The art work is beautiful and the spin on the old fairy tale is classic. This is a wonderful version of the Little Red Riding Hood Classic! My kids enjoyed it and I did too. Enjoy:)
Eric-kim Clayton
Sep 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A Refreshing New Take On A Classic

This is a brilliant adaptation of the story of Little Red Riding Hood made famous by author Charles Perrault. This adaption makes the story relevant to Gulf Coast region of the United states. The wolf villain is replaced by an equally deceptive and voracious crocodile.
The art work is stunning and the message is important, be careful what information you share with strangers.
I enjoyed this update of a story that has been told to may children over several centurie
Shweta
Dec 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Different from normal retellings of Red Riding Hood, this book gives a new prespective to the tale.

I enjoyed this book as much as my 6 year old did. In fact we had a great time thinking up different choices that both Red and the Cory had and how each would effect them.

Cindy Shirley
Apr 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book!

This wonderful spin on the classic Little Red Riding Hood is a must read. I loved this fascinating story as a child and have a huge amount of collectibles. All children will fall in love with these new characters.
Tanya
Mar 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a twist on red riding hood. This time she will meet a crocodile and follows them to see how the tale will end. Great read

Tashia Beaty
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great twist to a traditional fairy tale

This book is well written to keep children engaged. The story also helps children use their imagination. It can be used with a compare and contrast lesson along with the traditional version of Little Red Riding Hood.
Lauren K.
Oct 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Cute Story

This Louisiana take on Little Red Riding Hood combines a few good lessons along with some information on Louisiana marshlands.

The illustrations are simple but fun and guide the reader through the story. Overall it’s a sweet story.
xndr rogers
Dec 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really Loved how you adapted this story. It is still Little Red, just a more realistic "bad guy" to an audience that has bayous.

Anoop Misra
May 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Nice read!
Little red and crocodile is cute, fun, and filled with quirky illustrations that are very colorful. A classic story with an important message for all. Remarkable writing and characters of Suzan Johnson. I enjoyed a lot.
Breshana Lee
Nov 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Good book.

This was a good book. Children will enjoy reading about the crocodile. I enjoyed the pictures of the swamp and the characters.
Kim Ann
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Cute Story

A cute story with a new take on Little red riding Hood. The illustrations are simple but beautiful your kids will really enjoy reading the story.
Krystal
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What an adventure

My children loved this story. I especially loved it as it was a completely refreshing take. I cant wait to grab a physical copy !!
Crystal Castillo
Dec 05, 2019 rated it liked it
(2.5)

I absolutely loved the artwork and new take on Little Red Riding Hood. However, I had some issues with this story. The story is set in Louisiana, but a Crocodile was chosen to replace the Wolf. There are no Crocodiles in Louisiana, so this story isn't educating children on the wildlife that is actually found in Louisiana. An Alligator could have easily replaced the Crocodile in this story. Also, the pacing seemed off and I felt that there could have been a more fun and less direct way to en
Carola | adreamofpages
Nov 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was such a sweet little story!
I can see kids reading this and really liking it.
And the art was also very cute!
Maria D Bradley-Moore
Destiny Brown
Nov 23, 2019
James Proctor
Jun 09, 2020

• Henry's New Glasses: A children's book about embracing change and respecting others' differences
  • Rock's Alphabet (The Adventures of Rock & Deano Book 2)
  • The Contrary Contrite Chronicles of a Child during the Great Confinement
  • Guess who's my new friend?
  • You and Me: Different yet the Same
  • The Boy and the Sea
  • Coco The Adorable Puppy
  • You can do anything you want: All your dreams can come true
  • Yani The Unicorn And The Day Mommy Went To The Moon
  • Black Magic Voodoo (Mystic Hallows Harem #1)
  • Mummy Issues (Sunnyside Retired Witches Community #3)
  • My Beach Adventure
  • Harry and The Broken Toy: An Interactive Children’s Book That Teaches Responsibility, Teamwork, and Why It's Important to Clean Up Their Rooms. (The Adventures of Harry and Friends 4)
  • Winter Street (Winter, #1)
  • Christmas Carol