Start by marking “The Shadows” as Want to Read:

The Shadows

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  20,971 ratings  ·  3,711 reviews
Published July 7th 2020 by Celadon Books
Featured Notes & Highlights

To ask other readers questions about The Shadows, please sign up.
Mindy Rose
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Emily2419
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  20,971 ratings  ·  3,711 reviews

Start your review of The Shadows
_ngallagher
Oct 03, 2020 rated it liked it
Fun but I prefer The Whisper Man!
Miranda Reads
description

Hey all! I've read my way through 200+ books to bring you this Booktube Video - all about the Best 2020 Books (so far this year!).
description

Was it strange to think of the dead as friends?
25 years ago, Paul Adams experienced the worst day of his life.

One of his friends was ritualistically murdered by two other "friends". The police pick up one of them but the other (Charlie Crabtree) was never found. Some say he's been living out in the woods ever since.

Now, 25 years later, Paul's mother i
Meredith
Apr 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
“Red hands, red hands, red hands everywhere.”

The Shadows is a psychological thriller about lucid dreams that end in murder.

25 years ago, a group of teenage boys participated in a ritualistic murder. One murderer was apprehended, the other, Charlie Crabtree, disappeared without a trace. Linked to the crime, Paul Adams left his hometown without looking back. Forced to return home to visit his dying mother, it appears a copycat is on the loose. Paul comes to realize his mother has sec
megs_bookrack
Mar 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs-read
When Paul Adams was a teenager, a classmate of his was brutally murdered.

Due to Paul's closeness with the deceased, he was immediately suspected, accused and arrested of the horrific crime.

His mother, who knew her son was innocent, fought like a dog for his freedom.

The police finally come to agree with her. Paul was innocent, so who brutally killed that poor child?

Two of Paul's one-time friends, Billy and Charlie, were then accused. Billy went to prison and Charlie, subsequently, disappeared i
Mary Beth
May 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars rounded up!

You knew a teenager like Charlie Crabtree. A dark imagination, a sinister smile--always on the outside of the group. Some part of you suspected he might be capable of doing something awful. Twenty-five years ago, Crabtree did just that, committing a murder so shocking that it’s attracted that strange kind of infamy that only exists on the darkest corners of the internet--and inspired more than one copycat.

Paul Adams remembers the case all too well: Crabtree--and his victim--
Dorie  - Cats&Books :)
***NOW AVAILABLE***

I have been hesitant to write this review because this book wasn’t at all what I expected from this author. I loved The Whisper Man, everything about it, therefore I was highly anticipating reading The Shadows. Unfortunately, for me, it fell short. Here’s why.

There are two timelines, the present and 25 years previous. Now this isn’t usually a problem but you have to add to this the fact that during these timelines they are constantly discussing and referencing “lucid dreams” w
jessica
Aug 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
dont read this before bed. its about creepy lucid dreaming and spooky ghosts and the combination is a sure recipe for nightmares.

i did enjoy this, though. while not as strong as 'the whisper man,' its still a eerie story. i got major 'the chalk man' vibes while reading it, so if you enjoyed that book, you will really like this one. the writing is very easy to read and does a great job at getting a reader hooked.

but there are a couple of things i didnt like about this. i feel like detective
Farrah
Jul 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
All 5 ⭐s for the PERFECT reading experience!!

I loved this awesome book!

Creepy, dark and suspenseful, with a plot that hooked me from the get-go.
The Shadows is a horror story at its core but flirts with other genres and doesn't follow the rules of most books.

Some of the twists hit me in a way that I felt like I was physically slapped! Seriously. As if that wicked bony hand from the cover reached around and smacked me.

"𝘽𝙚𝙘𝙖𝙪𝙨𝙚 𝙢𝙤𝙧𝙚 𝙢𝙚𝙢𝙤𝙧𝙞𝙚𝙨 𝙬𝙚𝙧𝙚 𝙖𝙧𝙧𝙞𝙫𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝙣𝙤𝙬, 𝙙𝙖𝙧𝙠 𝙖𝙣𝙙 𝙖𝙣𝙜𝙧𝙮, 𝙖𝙣𝙙 𝙄 𝙧𝙚𝙖𝙡𝙞𝙯𝙚𝙙 𝙩𝙝
Kim ~ It’s All About the Thrill
*** Warning*** You are about to enter the unpopular opinion zone...if you can't handle it, you might want to leave.

Okay guys, I wanted to love it sooo much! I really did...but...it was just okay. The Whisper Man rocked my socks last year. I couldn't wait to get ahold of this book. I figured I would be sleeping with the lights on for a week, at least. Hence, no.

Charlie Crabtree is one disturbed dude, so were most of the kids in this town apparently. Remind me not to visit Gritten anytime soon,
karen
Apr 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
NOW AVAILABLE!!!

i haven’t been able to concentrate on much lately—i’m living out some quarantine-edition of Time Enough at Last, where i’m prevented BY LAW from doing much more than finally catching up on my reading and my writing about reading, and where my version of henry bemis’ broken glasses-irony is this constant state of unspecific low-level panic that keeps me flitting from one distraction to another, accomplishing very little.

which is why i am so grateful to THIS BOOK for trapping me in
Chelsea Humphrey
May 19, 2020 marked it as dnf-lost-interest
I think I've come to the realization that, if I'm only continuing with a book to see how it ends, then I need to put it down and move on.

*Many thanks to the publisher for providing my review copy.
marilyn
Jun 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Alex North's, The Shadows, is oozing with atmosphere. The Shadows are the thick, dark, creepy woods behind the houses of Paul and his best friend, James. If a person is not very careful, he can venture into The Shadows and never make his way out again.

Twenty five years ago, fifteen year old Paul and James, find themselves in the sights of Charlie Crabtree, a narcissist bully, and James, who is often picked on by his classmates, is in awe of Charlie, so when Charlie takes him under his wing, Pau
Gabby
This was so creepy and everything I wanted it to be If I was rating this book just based on atmosphere alone it would easily be a 5/5. I love the vibe of this book, the talk of the shadows and the woods and red hands and lucid dreaming and a mysterious murder.

This book reminded me of The Chalk Man for some reason. Probably because our main character left the small town he grew up in where something horrible happened when he was younger, and now he’s an adult coming back for the first time in 20
Will Byrnes
Jul 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
It’s what all good parents tell their children. And yet what does it really amount to? A hostage to fortune. It’s a promise you have to make, and one you must do your best to believe in, because what else is there?
It’s going to be ok.
Yes, I think about that a lot.
How every good parent says it, and how often they’re wrong.
When Paul Adams got the call, he came. One hundred miles, back to Gritten. It had been twenty five years since he’d left, but mom was nearing the end, cancer, dementia, a
Paromjit
After the runaway success of the creepy The Whisper Man, Alex North gives us this atmospheric follow up, with the return of Featherbank and Detective Amanda Beck. 25 years ago, Paul Adams left the industrial town of Gritten, 100 miles north of Featherbank, for university. to never return, making every effort to forget the murder of a classmate committed by Charlie Crabtree and Billy Roberts. Paul had been in an uneasy friendship with them after his best friend, the bullied James, insisted on bec ...more
Debra
Jul 06, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
"We have to do something about Charlie."

Charlie Crabtree with his dark imagination and creepy smile committed a murder twenty five years ago that rocked and shocked the local community. The crime destroyed lives and continues to have an impact all the years later. Now, there is a copycat, inspired by that heinous crime years ago, who is communicating with someone online and planning more evil.

When Paul left town, he had no intentions of going back. He was briefly friends with Charlie Crabtr
Nilufer Ozmekik
Jul 10, 2020 rated it liked it
And the most unpopular, disgusting, shameful, rotten tomato, (ahem) I mean poor grader reviewer at leading category goes to (ba boom ba boom- at the same time my stupid picture appears on the screen: wearing dirty pajamas, holding my iPad in one hand, clutching the Chardonnay bottle in the other, eyes are red rimmed- side effect of too much reading and alcoholism-) Nilufer Ozmekik!

We hear booing! Rotten eggs, tomatoes start to fly through the air as I accept my statue ( Actually it’s not a statu
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Holy shit!! Boom! Bitch ass bullies!!

And zee creepy hands. Muahahaha...

Red hands, red hands, red hands everywhere—

Well, it got me for awhile and then it pissed me off. I liked how the ending tied up nicely. But, like I said, a few parts got to me and pissed me off. AND NO, DON’T ASK

Anyhoo, on to the next! 😘

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾

BLOG: https://melissa413readsalot.blogspot....
Beata
Jul 11, 2020 rated it it was ok
No, nope, nein, non ... This time Mr North disappointed me a little. Hard to explain why but the story was not as captivating as I had hoped it to be. While reading, I felt tired and was perfectly able to put The Shadows down. On the whole, the idea is interesting, but the execution well below my expectations. I know I am one of very few who did not enjoy this book, but I always encourage readers to have a go and give a book a chance.
A library copy - OverDrive
BernLuvsBooks
Dreams are a patchwork, stitched together for the things that happen to us in our waking lives.

25 years ago, two teenage boys participated in a horrendous ritualistic murder. One of the boys was apprehended, but the other, Charlie Crabtree, disappeared without a trace leaving behind a phenomenon that lived on in the dark web. Linked to the crime, Paul Adams left his hometown and never looked back. He's forced to return home because of his ailing mother and is unsettled to discover that there is
JanB
Aug 03, 2020 rated it it was ok
This had all the elements of an atmospheric, chilling read: the long-ago brutal murder of a child, copycat murders in the present, spooky woods (The Shadows), and bloody hand prints left as a calling card. Unfortunately, atmosphere was missing and I didn’t find it chilling, or even interesting. I found the concept of lucid dreams where the dreamer is consciously aware of dreaming and can control others to the point where they experience the same dream far-fetched and utterly ridiculous.

The alter
Liz
Jul 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, audio
This book is more horror than mystery. It reminded me right off the bat of a Stephen King novel. It’s creepy in the extreme.
Twenty five years ago, Paul Adams lost three of his friends. Two of them kill the third. One of the killers goes missing and is still missing all these years later. In the present day, Detective Amanda Beck is investigating another in a line of copycat murders. And Paul is back home as his mother, suffering from Alzheimer’s, is dying from cancer.
It takes a while for the p
Susanne  Strong
A Juicy Premise that left a little to Be Desired!

The Present:
Here we return to Featherbank with Detective Amanda Beck who you may remember from “The Whisper Man.”

The Scene: The Murder of Michael Price by Elliot Hick and Robbie Foster and red hand prints, lots of them. The Investigation appears to be a copycat killing.

It leads Amanda to Gritten, home of Paul Adams, who has returned to Gritten to be with his mother who has Dementia.

The Past: 25 years ago the first murder took place, involv
Jasmine from How Useful It Is
This book is an excellent read! I like Detective Beck's attitude and her box of bad stuffs. Her feelings are realistic and relatable when it comes to something she's afraid of and something she knew in her heart that there's more. I like the title and the explanation given within the story. The idea of this book is interesting. I like the discussions of dreams and dream diary. I used to keep a diary of my dreams but nothing like this story. I also like following Paul's view. I like how he's not ...more
Diane S ☔
Jun 25, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5 Not quite as creepy as his first, but creepy enough for me. Schoolyards and bullying sets the stage in this one. What happens as a result of this is what Paul is remembering when he returns home to his dying mother after a long absence. A horrific murder in his school days which is seems that someone is once again bringing it to his attention. Detective Amanda Beck from this authors previous book, is the investigator.

Dreams and lucid dreams, do you believe in them or not? Can one manage to a
Ceecee
Mar 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Following a book as successful as The Whisper Man must be a tough call but Alex North has done a fine job. The novel started with a powerful punch as we learn of two similar and very bloody murders in two different time lines. The earliest victim is horrifically murdered by Charlie Crabtree and Billy Roberts which we learn after Roberts appears the following day with a blood stained knife and confesses. Charlie disappears and a legend grows around him in Gritten. Twenty five years later Michael ...more
DeAnn
Apr 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: edelweiss-2020, 2020
*Now available!*

3.5 complicated stars

This one features a dual storyline and multiple narrators. In fact, I think it had too many characters! Paul has returned to his hometown, Gritten Wood, after decades away as his mother is now ill. He hasn’t been back because terrible events (including murder) transpired in his teen years. One of the storylines features the build-up to these events with Paul’s childhood friends and the idea of lucid dreaming.

The present-day storyline has a detective trying to
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Unfortunately I am the odd man out on this one as I really did not enjoy this book :( I can appreciate that it was well written and that the two story-lines were woven together excellently, but I still just did not care at all about anything that was happening. I was never really pulled into the overall mystery and I didn't particularly care for either of the main character's perspectives. Even though this one didn't super work for me, I do think that the audiobook did a great job of capturing t ...more
Jayme
Jul 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
On the day it began, Detective Amanda Beck was showering and making coffee, at the same time that a little boy was being killed, but nobody knew it yet.

Hundreds of blood-red handprints pressed carefully against the stone.
This time, the Victim is Michael Price.
The latest sacrifice to Mister Red Hands, a "Myth" who haunts the woods, known as "The Shadows".

25 years Ago, Ring Leader Charlie Crabtree, had his friends, Billy Roberts, James Dawson, and Paul Adams believing in the Myth.

He insisted t
Matthew
Aug 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
M. Night Shyamalan approves!

3.5 to 4 stars.

This was an easy thriller to get into and it went quickly! I blinked and it was over. So, if you want a decent thriller but don’t have a lot of time to dedicate to a large book, this one should fly by! Also, if you are a fan of North’s previous book, The Whisper Man, you will likely enjoy this one.

One thing that could be an issue is how you feel about time jumping in a book. This one does have a lot of time jumping and at times it can be difficult to r

• The Glass Castle
  • Nothing to See Here
  • My Year of Rest and Relaxation
  • The Herd
  • Fair Warning (Jack McEvoy #3)
  • The Deep
  • White Out (Badlands Thriller, #1)
  • Behind Every Lie
  • Saint X
  • Somebody’s Daughter (Detective Natalie Ward #7)
  • Find Her Alive (Detective Josie Quinn #8)
  • The Night Swim
  • One Of Us Is Lying
  • The Babysitter
  • Home Before Dark
  • Face It
  • A Very Punchable Face
Alex North was born in Leeds, England, where he now lives with his wife and son. The Whisper Man was inspired by North's own little boy, who mentioned one day that he was playing with "the boy in the floor." Alex North is a British crime writer who has previously published under another name.

Articles featuring this book

“Absence of evidence was not evidence of absence.” 6 likes
“But everything is okay until it isn’t. People are there, large as life and taken for granted, and then they aren’t.” 4 likes