Start by marking “The Ultimates 2, Volume 1: Gods and Monsters” as Want to Read:
The Ultimates 2, Volume 1: Gods and Monsters

The Ultimates 2, Volume 1: Gods and Monsters (The Ultimates #3)

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  2,158 Ratings  ·  63 Reviews
It's been one year since they stopped an alien invasion, and now things get hard. New members, new costumes, and 12 months of gossip to catch up on! Who's getting married? Who's divorced? Who's gone nuts since we last saw them? Why, just in this first story, we see Ultimate Hulk and the secret origin of Ultimate Thor, and get a look at the entire Ultimate Universe as drawn ...more
Published September 20th 2006 by Marvel (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Ultimates 2, Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ultimates 2, Volume 1

Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
3.5 stars rounded up to 4.

This is a year after the first book The Ultimates and Bruce Banner's identity as the Hulk has been leaked to the press and he is headed for trial.
Boo..Hiss. I liked Hulk smashing stuff.

You've got Captain America shacked up with the Wasp after she makes it through Giant man's abuse from the last book.
Then they decide that since Thor isn't controlled that he needs to be and they take down the man. He gives them hell though.

Great illustrations and an interesting story.
Kemper
May 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
A year after stopping the Hulk’s rampage in New York and then beating an army of alien invaders to save the world, The Ultimates are now famous heroes whose popularity has made their government sponsors SHIELD incredibly powerful and influential.

But it isn’t all peaches and gravy. SHIELD covered up that the Hulk is really the nerdy scientist Bruce Banner whose transformation was caused by a super soldier serum he was developing on the government dime so Banner spends his days hidden away and do
Brad
Apr 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
I've not been the biggest fan of Mark Millar's Ultimates. My boyhood favourite, Captain America, became an unrecognizable bully with questionable ethics; S.H.I.E.L.D. and Nick Fury turned into ultra-violent goon boys for Homeland Security; the Hulk cover-up betrayed most of what I knew about the individuals who made up the group formerly known as the Avengers; the political criticism that I loved as a kid -- the Marvel Universe that helped to shape who I am -- seemed gone, never to return. It wa ...more
Stephen
Feb 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
4.0 to 4.5 stars. I am a fan of the "Ultimate" universe and I really enjoy seeing classic characters portrayed in a more modern, more realistic fashion. The character of Thor really shines in this graphic novel as does Captain America. I thought the storyline was well done and interesting and I look forward to reading the next book in the series, Ultimates 2 Volume 2: Grand Theft America.
Gavin
Oct 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
A very solid Volume 2, Ultimates 2 picks up after the defeat of the alien invasion of Earth. Bruce Banner is locked up after word is leaked that he is the Hulk, and Hank Pym is no longer on the team after his run ins with Janet and Cap.
Thor is continuing his role here as the moral objection to the militarization of the team, which leads to a showdown later on.
Millar has turned down the macho bravado and trash TV aspects that kept the first Volume from being a pure classic.

We also see Matt Murdoc
Jessica
Sep 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Frankly one of the best comics I've read lately. Poor Bruce Banner, though! Geez. Also, I've never read anything with Ant Man in it, and I've always thought he sounded lame. Yep. "I am summoning the ants!" "Hurry!" "Sorry, there's only like . . . forty ants in this warehouse." BWAHAHAHAHA! Terrible!
Paul
Feb 22, 2009 rated it really liked it
I really enjoy this stuff. The Ultimates line is a perfect venue to take classic heroes and make them for mature audiences, realigning their origins, motivations, relationships, etc. It's basically a great big grim "What If" series with its own continuity.

And when it's played right, it's a damn big bulge of fun. Too often, though, it's played for shock value. Let me be clear of one of my philosophies... shock value is THE WORST WRITING TOOL IN THE WORLD. Why? Because shock value demands to be t
Feather Mista
Mar 09, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Casi todo el mundo.
Recommended to Feather by: Casi todo
No solo está al nivel de The Ultimates 1 sino que por momentos lo supera. ¡Y eso que todavía me falta el segundo tomo! La verdad que la película de los Vengadores me encantó, pero leyendo estos Ultimates de Millar, tan verosímiles y logrados, me dan ganas de que Whedon hubiera robado un poquito más de estos impresentables.
Hermina Oláh Vass
I don't know what to say about the Ultimates anymore. It's so very amazing and utterly ridiculous at the same time. The Ultimates 2 is packed with much more action, Gods and monsters leaves you on such a cliffhanger I can hardly catch my breath. But even that can't erase some god-awful issues. What's up with this Tony-Natasha marriage nonsense? Those few cheesy scenes took away both character's edges. Not to mention Jarvis?! The cocky butler act just isn't working for me. But all this is garnish ...more
Crystal Starr Light
Aug 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
Continuing to be impressed and entertained. I love the realism--Captain America's 40's ways coupled with Jan's growing disgust for it. How Bruce Banner is dealt with. Poor Thor. There were some bumps, but overall, I can't wait for volume 2.
Canavan
Feb 27, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
✭✭
Timothy Boyd
Jan 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Nice 2nd series story arc of this alternate reality series about Marvel's Avengers. Recommended
47Time
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The story has a great deal of focus on the intrigues concerning Banner, Thor and Pym to the detriment of fight scenes and superhuman stuff in general. This improves the story a great deal, making it mature and believable.

Thor resigns from the Ultimates after Captain America agrees to a rescue mission in Iraq. The bigger problem is that the media reveal Hulk's real identity. Banner is facing a trial for the deaths of over 800 people(view spoiler)
Garrett Ballendine
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The "Is he a god or a fraud" thing Hippie Thor has going on is the best part of this series.
Erik
Aug 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing
When the going is good, keep it going I say. And that is exactly what Millar, Hitch, et al did after their ground-breaking first series. Volume one reminds me a lot of volume one from the first series in that there is a major focus on character development and relationships – with a dysfunctional emphasis on the latter – as well as an all-team brawl against one of their own; this time the supposed Norse god of thunder, Thor.

Also, Millar and Hitch punch it up a little by having the ousted Hank P
Lloyd
Jun 15, 2009 rated it really liked it
If I could rate in half stars, I may have given this one a 3.5.

In this volume, we check back in on The Ultimates a year after them having thwarted an alien invasion that would have destroyed Earth had they not been there to stop it. Now, there is public outcry for a punishment of Bruce Banner for the hundreds of people he killed during a Hulk rampage and we're not really sure if Thor is the mythical Norse legend we've all grown to love or just some crazy schizophrenic with a high tech armor and
La Espada en la Tinta
Jul 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: received
El escocés lo ha vuelto a hacer. Me ha tenido enganchado a este tercer volumen protagonizado por los Ultimates como quien comienza a comer un merengue y no puede parar, como quien degusta un buen filete sazonado y preparado a su gusto que ha alcanzado el sumun de la perfección. Dioses y monstruos define demasiado bien lo que siempre he pensado de esta serie que desde 2002 continúa sembrando opiniones en el cosmos de las reseñas de internet, los círculos sociales y el mundo editorial. Watchmen ha ...more
Stacey
Sep 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
Gods and Monsters sort of says it all. This first volume focuses on Thor and the question of his sanity and on the Hulk and his trial for the death of 800 New Yorkers.

The Ultimates is a dark series. I like the ambiguity of Thor's divinity. Is he a Norse god or is he insane? That was some of my favourite writing in the series. I liked the way Bruce Banner was handling his trial for his actions as the Hulk. While I didn't like the way Nick Fury handled the verdict, I liked that it was how I expec
Phillip Berrie
Jan 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
After accepting that nothing was sacrosanct (see my comment about the first Ultimates' story), it was a lot of fun seeing what Millar did with the Ultimates' version of the Marvel universe. I also have to say that a lot of what he has happens makes a great deal of sense considering these public heroes can only exist with the sanction of the public and its institutions.

I'm very tempted to give some examples, but that would be too spoiler-ish. So let me just say that there is very little fighting
Beckiezra
Sep 12, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics-manga
This would have benefitted from being read in order rather than last, and I almost want to start all over and read them all in the right order this time. I didn't really care about the characters or plot. It was boring for the first half, then was more interesting when the action picked up some and Thor's (possible? I can't recall if he's really just crazy or if his explanation is right) origin was discussed. At the moment I can't recall why I decided to give it 3 stars instead of something less ...more
Matthew
Jan 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
If you've read the original Ultimates you already know that nearly every character is kind of a shitty person in some way. Mark Millar is awesome at making that happen. Growing up in the seventies, I looked to superheroes as paragons of goodness. In my pre-pubescent mind, they were. As an adult I know that morals vary from reader to reader, but I think everyone needs their version of good people in at least a portion of their entertainment. I'm not sure that good people are often available.

Havin
Eric
Dec 26, 2007 rated it really liked it
"marvel avengers at their best"

after reading, the first story arc of the ultimates, i was intrigued by the direction of the characters (although turned off by ironmans suit), and felt it was good. however, what millar does in this volume is ridiculous (in comparison). twists, turns, and inter office affair, one would think this was avengers soap opera, but this is by far the best of the ultimates volumes, with a cliff hanger that made the wait for the second volume seem like forever.

also, bryan
Sean Brennan
Nov 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
This edition nicely lays the ground work for the finale. I completely found myself siding with Thor throughout the story, as obviously a team of super heroes and scientific research based around their powers, financed by Central Government, well draw your own conclusions of what would happen. Similarly the whole idea of Captain America, would HE ever be open to political debate, I wonder. The artwork as usual was great, but full marks to the overall story, and the whole notion of difference and ...more
M
Aug 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
With the Ultimates finally in place, the wheels begin to come off the team following an incursion into the Middle East. Banner is outed as the Hulk and sent for public execution, Giant-Man has been fired, Thor is depowered and locked away as a lunatic, and Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch are sibiling - who are dating. Though Thor claims his brother Loki is behind it all, the death of Hawkeye's family, the imprisonment of Captain America, and the betrayal of Black Widow leave the Ultimates at their ...more
Phillip Goodman
quite possibly better than number 1, makes some of the bravest decisions i have ever seen in the world of comics, and despite the fact that i have already read the comparatively dissapointing number 3 and thus allready know somethings about what happens in this it doesn't diminish the book nor my enjoyment of it, not even slightly. a very affecting, and effective book, it creates a sense of realism and in atleast one scene allmost had me crying.
Jedhua
Aug 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Book Info: This collection contains The Ultimates 2 issues #1-6.

ABSOLUTE RATING: {3+/5 stars}

STANDARDIZED RATING: <3/5 stars>

description
Elizabeth
I'm writing Laura Barton fic, so I wanted to check out the comics canon -- even though (a) I know everyone hates Ultimates, and (b) I knew she barely even showed up so this wouldn't necessarily be helpful at all.

I nearly noped out in the very first issue. It got somewhat more palatable after that, but ugh, who reads this? I'd gotten volume 2 from the library as well, but really, why would I do this to myself?
Katie
Apr 12, 2013 rated it it was ok
Much shorter than "homeland security," and ends on a cliffhanger. Is Thor really delusional, or is Loki distorting reality? Will The Defenders train up and become human heroes? Did Bruce Banner really die? Who outed him as Hulk? Why was Natasha's only job in this story arc to get proposed to by Iron Man? That said, conversations on mental illness are hopefully up next. Just have to get my hands on the next issue...
Borax
Dec 06, 2012 rated it liked it
Read this with my son. I enjoyed how the artists used the likenesses of the actors from the films. Like most comic books from this series...there is way too much rising action as opposed to actual action...do I care that giant man beds a teenager? Do I care that captain America doesn't quite gel with his hot to trot girlfriend? No no no. The action was ok...not great...I'm waiting for griff to get old enough to enjoy batman...that, my friends, is good comic book reading.
Fizzgig76
Aug 11, 2008 rated it really liked it
Reprints Ultimates 2 #1-6. The Ultimates try to clean up the mess created by the Hulk, deal with Hank's beating of Jan, and learn that one of their members might be insane. This series is really picking up speed in this collection. The ideas presented in it are interesting and their delivery is good. The ending of this collection does make you question who is sane and who is insane.
  • Ultimate Spider-Man, Volume 11: Carnage
  • Ultimate X-Men, Volume 12: Hard Lessons
  • Ultimate Galactus, Volume 2: Secret
Mark Millar is the New York Times best-selling writer of Wanted, the Kick-Ass series, The Secret Service, Jupiter’s Legacy, Jupiter’s Circle, Nemesis, Superior, Super Crooks, American Jesus, MPH, Starlight, and Chrononauts. Wanted, Kick-Ass, Kick-Ass 2, and The Secret Service (as Kingsman: The Secret Service) have been adapted into feature films, and Nemesis, Superior, Starlight, War Heroes, Jupit ...more
More about Mark Millar...

The Ultimates (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • The Ultimates, Volume 1: Super-Human
  • The Ultimates, Volume 2: Homeland Security
  • The Ultimates 2, Volume 2: Grand Theft America
  • The Ultimates 3: Who Killed the Scarlet Witch?
  • Ultimatum
  • Ultimate Comics New Ultimates: Thor Reborn
  • Ultimate Comics Avengers vs. New Ultimates: Death of Spider-Man
  • Ultimate Comics Ultimates, Volume 1: The Republic Is Burning
  • Ultimate Comics Ultimates, Volume 2: Two Cities. Two Worlds.
  • Ultimate Comics: Ultimates, by Sam Humphries, Volume 1

• A House for Happy Mothers
  • Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit
  • The Lace Makers of Glenmara
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Quaker Café (Quaker Café #1)
  • The Honest Spy
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone Crazy in Alabama (Ala Notable Children's Books. Middle Readers)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Mercer Girls
    $4.99 $1.99
  • While the World Is Still Asleep (The Century Trilogy Book 1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Very Valentine
    $10.99 $2.99
  • The Cellar
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Clouds (Glenbrooke, #5)
  • Ireland
  • Clara and Mr. Tiffany
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Golden Age: A Novel of Queen Elizabeth
    $8.24 $1.99
“国外学历制作#加拿大VIU学历证书制作#Q微信744043126购买加拿大文凭成绩单#温哥华岛大学VIU毕业证书制作#本科文凭硕士学历购买#制作学位证书研究生文凭#制作海外文凭毕业证书假学历学位证Vancouver Island University
国外学历制作#加拿大VIU学历证书制作#Q微信744043126购买加拿大文凭成绩单#温哥华岛大学VIU毕业证书制作#本科文凭硕士学历购买#制作学位证书研究生文凭#制作海外文凭毕业证书假学历学位证Vancouver Island University”
0 likes
“Q\微信744043126专业为在美国,澳洲,加拿大,英国,新西兰留学的学子办理文凭毕业证成绩单、回国人员证明、学历认证【100%真实存档可查】
留学全套申请材料办理,我们是一家诚信,负责为留学回国工作的留学生做认证的公司,只要您找我们,我们会跟您成为好朋友,在合作过程中您会发现我们的诚意,发现我们的责任心。本公司承诺所有毕业证成绩单成品全部按照学校原版工艺对照一比一制作,公司采用的是高端进口印刷设备和学校一样的羊皮纸张,保证您证书的质量,可以提供钢印、水印、烫金、激光防伪、凹凸版最新版的毕业证、百分之百让您绝对满意!【诚招中介代理】
留学回国服务负责人Mark联系方式如下QQ:744043126 微信:744043126
6、企事业单位必须要求办理的;
正规化公司为海归提供回国相关服务:
◆全套服务:毕业证、成绩单、真实回国人员证明、真实教育部认证。让您回国发展信心十足!
我们会根据您的实际情况,帮您选取最合适的方案,完善申请资料,填写申请并追踪进度,在最短的时间内帮你完成申请,专业解决各国留学生毕业证成绩单学历学位认证。
◆招聘代理:本公司诚聘美国、加拿大、英国、新西兰、澳洲、法国、德国、新加坡各地代理人员,如果你有业余时间有兴趣就请联系我们,校园代理,报酬丰厚。真诚期待您的加盟
24小时为您服务态度端正专业入职解决您的学历烦恼QQ:744043126 微信:744043126(添加请注明:留学)
办理假毕业证在国内能用吗Q\微信744043126挂科拿不到毕业证怎么办Q\微信744043126毕业证丢了怎么办Q\微信744043126没有正常毕业怎么办理毕业证Q\微信744043126没毕业可以办学历认证吗Q\微信744043126您是否因为中途辍学、挂科而没有正常毕业Q\微信744043126您是否因为递交材料不齐而被拒之门外Q\微信744043126您是否因没正常毕业而导致回国得不到教育部认证Q\微信744043126在校挂科了不想读了、成绩不理想怎么办Q\微信744043126找工作没有文凭怎么办Q\微信744043126办理本科/研究生文凭Q\微信744043126有本科却要求硕士又怎么办Q\微信744043126办理本科/硕士毕业证Q\微信744043126网上买文凭可靠吗Q\微信744043126买国外文凭质量Q\微信744043126国外本科毕业证怎么办理Q\微信744043126国外大学文凭高仿真制作Q\微信744043126办国外文凭可找工作Q\微信744043126怎么办理国外假毕业证Q\微信744043126哪里可以制作毕业证Q\微信744043126美国哪里可以办理毕业证Q\微信744043126澳洲哪里可以办理毕业证Q\微信744043126留学生在哪里买毕业证Q\微信744043126加拿大哪里可以办理毕业证Q\微信744043126诚信办理毕业证Q\微信744043126申请学校办理成绩单Q\微信744043126办理水印成绩单Q\微信744043126办理悉尼大学成绩单Q\微信744043126多伦多办理成绩单Q\微信744043126修改成绩单GPAQ\微信744043126修改成绩单分数Q\微信744043126办理多大成绩单Q\微信744043126如何拿到国外毕业证Q\微信744043126快速拿到国外文凭Q\微信744043126快速办理国外毕业证Q\微信744043126假毕业证能查出来吗Q\微信744043126假文凭网上能查到吗

买美国学历,代办加利福尼亚大学圣地亚哥分校UCSD毕业证【微_Q744043126】美国买学历办理UCSD学位证成绩单,原版毕业文凭办理,咨询办国外学历文凭找工作,办理国外留学生毕业证件学历认证办理California San Diego”
0 likes