Start by marking “They Did Bad Things: A Thriller” as Want to Read:
They Did Bad Things: A Thriller

They Did Bad Things: A Thriller

And Then There Were None  meets The Last Time I Lied in this dark and twisty psychological thriller.

In 1995, six university students moved into the house at 215 Caldwell Street. Months later, one of them was found dead on the sofa the morning after their end-of-year party. His death was ruled an accident by the police. The remaining five all knew it wasnt, and though
Expected publication: June 2nd 2020 by Arcade Crimewise

To ask other readers questions about They Did Bad Things, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about They Did Bad Things

Start your review of They Did Bad Things: A Thriller
Dita
Mar 02, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, edelweiss
3.5 stars, rounded up!

This review is a little hard to write because:

1. Everyone in it was a jack wagon.

2. The introduction of the characters and the time hopping made it a little hard to get into, but...

3. Once I got into it, I was really invested!

4. Its ended REALLY well, and that is always awesome.

Thank you to Lauren A. Forry, Skyhorse Publishing and Edelweiss for giving me this DRC in exchange for an honest review.

Overall, if you are a fan of closed room mysteries, give it a try.
Debra
Mar 30, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweiss
2.5

1995, 215 Caldwell St - 6 roommates moved in... only 5 survived their end of year party...what happened? They know the death wasn't an accident, but they'll never tell. They just want to move on with their lives and leave the past in the past.

But someone doesn't want the past to remain hidden. Someone has lured them all to Wolfheather House, an old mansion on the Scottish isle of Doon. Someone who has given them a choice: confess to their crimes or die. Seems simple enough, right?

So, this
Susan
Mar 04, 2020 rated it liked it
Who Looks a gift horse in the mouth? None of our five protagonists! Each accepts a free stay at a remote getaway with disastrous consequences.

The weekend vacations were orchestrated by someone unknown to gather the former college roommates in one place. The purpose? To elicit admissions of prior past misdeeds which resulted in the death of another housemate.

Nicely written with rounded but not the most likable characters. Which is okay, because some of them dont make it to the end. Dead bodies?
Pat
Mar 03, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars. Take one slightly seedy country manor on a remote Scottish island. Add five guests who are surprised to see each other, various acts of sabotage and no ferry over the weekend. Stir the mixture with a nasty storm and you have They Did Bad Things.

The five guests have been lured there under false pretences. 20 odd years ago things came to a nasty head in a house share for six university students when one of them, Callum, died after a wild party. The others all claimed ignorance of how
Carrie Carter
Five people arrive separately at Wolfheather House, a secluded mansion on an isle in Scotland, after being lured by false pretenses. What do these 5 people have in common? Twenty years ago, they all lived together in a house while attending university along with one other person. But that sixth person had been found dead on the couch one morning after a party almost 20 years ago. The death was ruled an accident, but the five other housemates know the truth. Now they are trapped together in the ...more
Renee
Feb 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020edelweiss
At the start of Lauren A. Forry's twisty tale, They Did Bad Things, we know that something has happened at Wolfheather House on the Isle of Doon. Five former university students who shared a house at 215 Caldwell Street are brought together for the first time in years. Each lured to this remote house for different reasons. But the truth is far more sinister. Callum, their sixth housemate died accidentally, but someone knows what happened that night, and Hollis, Lorna, Ellie, Oliver, and Maeve ...more
Katherine
Mar 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
In 1995, Hollis, Ellie, Oliver, Lorna, Maeve, and Callum are university students who meet when they move into the same house. Months later one of the six is dead. The police rule the death an accident, but the remaining roommates know it wasn't. Twenty years later the remaining roommates are lured to Wolfheather House, a secluded mansion on the Scottish Isle of Doon. They are trapped with no way out, forced to confront what each did related to their former roommates death - if they want to make ...more
Katie(babs)
They Did Bad Things reads like a warped version of the movie Clue. The mystery element is engaging but the big problem are the characters. They are very weak in terms of personality and come across as one dimensional, with the exception of the victim. The authors tries, through flashbacks of these characters when they lived in the same house in college to gain sympathy from the reader. But even with flashbacks, the engagement factor isn't really there. The actions of these characters in ...more
Melissa (honeybee.reads)
This was definitely not a favorite for me. It was a good read that kept me intrigued but there was something missing. The premise sounded so good but I just felt like it was repetitive and that nothing major was happening for me. It was a well written book that kept you flipping pages.
Donna Hines
Mar 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, netgalley
Confess to crimes or die?
Wait what?? Mind repeating??
Ok, seriously this had more twists than I've ever seen in one book.
After one of 6 university students is located dead on a sofa it's all finger pointing from there on out.
It was a heck of an end of the year party but what happened to Callum?
I don't know how to explain this other then the house at Caldwell is truly dark.
Secrets may have stayed buried had it not been for the reunion of sorts 20 years later.
Actually, lured under false pretenses
Stacey Camp
Feb 23, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Had a hard time following this one and couldn't get through it. Started out promising but the storyline quickly became convoluted. There was too much back and forth between timelines and characters. If the author stuck with one or two characters, I think this would have been easier to follow.
Alex
Mar 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just finished They Did Bad Things and loved it! I wouldnt hesitate to recommend this book to anyone who loves a good who-dun-it with twists and turns. The book kept things interesting with the changes from past to present, and always kept you feeling like you were in the Wolfheather house with the group. It was the perfect amount of creepy and suspenseful without being scary. The ending wasnt what I was expecting!

*Thank you to the author and publisher for the advanced copy in exchange for my
Allison
Mar 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I first began this book, I was skeptical because of how ridiculously unlikeable the characters are - but soon realized thats the whole point of the story.
After I got farther into it, I couldnt put it down!!

The end left me hanging a little, wondering if there would be a sequel but overall, I really enjoyed it!!
Erin
Feb 20, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was intrigued by the premise and felt engaged throughout. Definitely a page-turner, but some of the plot twists felt extremely convenient and random, but I still enjoyed the book despite a few problematic elements. Creepy as heck in some parts. The explanation of exactly what happened near the end became distracting - show, not tell, would have been preferred. Some parts were a little confusing too. But overall, the negatives didn't hinder my enjoyment too much.

Thanks to NetGalley and the
Georjenna
Feb 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow- what a roller coaster ride! This book was a page turner and kept me guessing until the very end. The story involves 6 college students/roommates in present day and 20 years ago, when one of them is murdered. They all end up back at the same house again and the game of who dun it begins. At first, the characters blended together a bit and there wasnt really a protagonist, but the story itself was entertainment enough. I would definitely recommend this book if you are into thrillers and ...more
Rebecca
Feb 18, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2020
Although this kept my attention, I wasn't that crazy about this story.

I would recommend this as a good read on a Sunday afternoon.

Thank you NetGalley for the opportunity to review this book.
Maria
Feb 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
In 1995, six university students arrived in 215 Caldwell Street. They didn't became friends but just tolerated each other enough. Until one day one of them found dead on the sofa and police ruled it as an accident. But all of them knew it wasn't an accident.

Twenty years later, all five of them arrived at Wolfheather House, a secluded mansion on the Scottish isle of Doon. Trapped inside with no way out and no communication to the outer world. They have no choice but to confess their crime or the
Sandy
Thank you Net Galley & Skyhorse Publishing for an eARC in exchange for an honest review.
This was a great easy thriller read for me. I wanted to know who killed Callum; and what their punishment would be. You see our author Lauren Forry did a great job at capturing her readers attention by pulling us in to the house where it all started 215 Caldwell Street.
It all started in 1995, when 6 university students moved out of their family homes and moved into 215 Caldwell street to start their
Crystal Hiatt
"You're not afraid of doing bad things. You're afraid of getting punished for them."
This book challenges your morality from the beginning. Is morality based solely on self preservation and, if you knew you'd never be caught, would your morality also dissipate?
Would you? Could you? What kind of person are you really?
These are the questions you'll be asking yourself throughout the book. And I love a book that challenges me and makes me think deeper.

The story is a classic whodunit reminiscent
kristinaaa
I finally found a thriller I enjoyed!

Okay, so apparently I'm really into lists right now so here's a list of all the things I liked about They Did Bad Things by Lauren A. Forry:
- Especially at the beginning, it felt like a game of Clue
- The book switched POV's to each main character throughout the book and it was exciting to discover how they were each such awful people
- The author also went from past to present seamlessly
- There were several twists the story that kept me guessing all the way
Ashley | Read Now Sleep Later
Mar 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Trigger warning for violence, and gory scenes.

What a RIDE! This book had me guessing up until the last page.

They Did Bad Things by Lauren. A Forry, is about a group of people invited to a vacation bed and breakfast. What theyre unaware of is the sinister plans one of them has in store. And Then There Were None meets The Last Time I Lied is such a good description of what your going to get yourself into.

I really enjoyed how the book held my attention in its vice-like grip. While the story line
Feb 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
As soon as I saw the description for They Did Bad Things by Lauren A. Forry I couldnt wait to dive in. And yes they certainly did some bad things! I loved how the story unfolds between the past and present and told through all the main characters of the story. It keeps you guessing and thinking you are close to knowing the truth and then nope, not yet. At times, I found it creepy and thought maybe I shouldnt be reading this so late at night. The atmosphere of the old hotel during a dark storm ...more
Jade
Apr 06, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The premise of this book sounded great, really great.

However, even from the start it was difficult for me to get into.
The story alternated between characters and time lines with a "mysterious POV" thrown in from time to time. This made it even harder to really get into the book. The pacing felt off and I felt that there was too much going on which made it confusing.

I did not like the characters, not that they were supposed to be likable.

I could not help comparing it to Agatha Christie's And
Arlene
Mar 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a great book!! A true mystery with proper plot twists! I can't give the review that I would like to without writing plot spoilers.

The book moved at a good pace going from present to past and back again. Just when you think maybe you know who is responsible wham!!! another plot twist.

I'm really looking forward to Lauren Forry's next book. She is really an excellent writer. I'm so glad NetGalley let me read this advanced copy, thank you.
Tracie Crane
Mar 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the VERY BEST psychological thriller I have ever read!! It's so different than anything else I have ever read in this genre, which is saying something in an overly saturated category.
A story written about a group of college kids rooming together in a house that has been used for too many college parties. Going from past to present and a written confession could be confusing if it wasn't written with such talent.
With shocking twist and turns and an ending you should have seen coming, but
Kevin Alicea
Mar 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a rollercoaster. This book keeps you on edge and makes you suspicious of almost every character. Great read, 4 stars for me.

Thank you NetGalley for this ARC.
Mar 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun, fast mystery kind of like a big game of Clue for adults. I was kept guessing until the end.
You switch back and forth between the past and present as the author guides you along the journey of figuring out what is going on.

I recommend as a book to escape into if you enjoy mysteries that are not too psychological. This would make a great movie as it is big on action.

Some language and gore.

I received a free ARC as a reader for NetGalley.
Kay Owens
Mar 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you like the game Clue, you will love this book. This story has you on the edge of your chair to find out who did it! There is only 5 of them and its been twenty years since their friend was killed. Who is going to be the one to finally give up the secret they have been avoiding. Thank you to Netgalley for providing me with this digital ARC.
Ash Luna
Mar 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is AMAZING! I was hooked as soon as I started reading. I couldn't put it down the mystery was so intense. I was in awe with how thins turned out.
Jeanine

• Girls of Brackenhill
  • The Girls Weekend
  • Deadly Waters
  • What You Wish For
Lauren A. Forry was brought up in the woods of Bucks County, Pennsylvania where her FBI agent father and book-loving mother raised her on a diet of The X-Files and RL Stine. After earning her BA in Cinema Studies from New York University, she spent some time in film production before moving to London where she earned her MFA in Creative Writing from Kingston University. There she was awarded the ...more

News & Interviews