Start by marking “If It Bleeds” as Want to Read:
If It Bleeds

If It Bleeds

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  36,813 ratings  ·  4,941 reviews
Readers adore Stephen King’s novels, and his novellas are their own dark treat, briefer but just as impactful and enduring as his longer fiction. Many of his novellas have been made into iconic films, including “The Body” (Stand By Me) and “Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption” (Shawshank Redemption).

Four brilliant new tales in If It Bleeds are sure to prove as iconic as
Published April 21st 2020 by Scribner

·  36,813 ratings  ·  4,941 reviews

Start your review of If It Bleeds
Nilufer Ozmekik
Oct 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I missed to read Stephen King’s stories a lot! You may know that most of his short stories including Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption, The Body from “Different Season”, Mist from “Skeleton Crew”, Lawnmower Man, Children of the Corn from “Graveyard Shift”, 1408 from ”Everything’s Eventual” adapted into successful movie scripts. ( Even though only good thing about Lawnmower Man seeing his cameo as a priest!)

This time: We luckily have four fantastic stories in our hands and best part is one
Justin Tate
Apr 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
1. Mr. Harrigan’s Phone

This opening novella rocked my world. With signature Stephen King finesse, he introduces characters so vivid they could be standing next to you. I’m particularly impressed by his ability to deliver the millennial youth experience as effectively as he writes about being a boomer in his many other books. Then, when you least expect it, he scares the shit out of you. It’s better not knowing anything going in, so I won’t give away details. I shouldn’t even tell you it’s scary,
Chelsea Humphrey
Really enjoyed stories #1 and #3, snoozed through stories #2 and #4. Middle ground 3 star rating from me! Highly recommend the audio, as the cast of narrators are a few of my favorites.
Mario the lone bookwolf (semi reviewing hiatus )
Again, King is reflecting about life, work, and death in 2 of the stories, something he is already dealing with in The Bazaar of bad dreams, a topic sadly coming irreversibly coming closer to everyone with each breath and second, each book read a flip closer to death, each heartbeat a metronome leading to and causing its self-destruction, eating away oneself to live. Damned telomeres.

It made me wonder why so few authors don´t start dealing with the inevitable at a certain age, why they don´t in
Peter
May 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Stephen King did it again and came up with a brilliant set of four stories! In "Mr Harrigan's Phone" you'll learn never to bury a mobile phone with a dead person. Why? Sometimes communication can go beyond the realms of death. "The Life of Chuck" started a bit strange, with Act III to be precise. At first I thought it might be something futuristic. But then you'll learn who Chuck Krantz really was. The whole story is a kind of chronology of death foretold. Then we come to the longest story here, ...more
megs_bookrack
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
1. Mr. Harrigan's Phone -- ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
2. The Life of Chuck -- ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
3. If It Bleeds -- ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
4. Rat -- ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

That's how you do, Sai King!

One of the most well-rounded collections I have ever read.

I'm contemplating whether this is going to knock my current fave, Full Dark, No Stars, out of my number one spot for short-story collections.

This was well worth the wait!

Original:

IT IS TIME!!!!

COVER REVEAL HAS ME LIKE...

Earlier:

...receives book recommendation...

Is this for real?
This seems too good to be true?
Do
Jeffrey Keeten
May 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror, short-stories
MR. HARRIGAN’S PHONE

”When an old man dies, a library burns.”

The billionaire, Mr. Harrigan, builds an architecturally beautiful house in the country as a place to spend his twilight years away from the bustle of the business world that made him rich. He asks a young lad by the name of Craig to come up to the house to read novels to him. Entertainment for Mr. Harrigan and an education for Craig. Of course, they talk about things as well, and it makes me think about cobbled relationships like this
David Putnam
Jun 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a solid four stars. I’m not big on short stories or novellas, never have been. Mostly because if I drop into the fictive dream and I’m enjoying the story it ends too soon and I feel shorted. I make the exception with King. I’m still working my way through his short work. I started reading his short work with Full Dark No Stars, what a great bevy of short stories.
If It Bleeds is comprised of four novellas, the first of which is Mr. Harrigan’s Phone. This one is standard fare from Kin
Johann (jobis89)
“I will live my life until my life runs out.”

If It Bleeds is some of King’s best work in recent years, showcasing his talent once again when it comes to the novella. In each of these novellas, King reflects upon death in some way, and he handles it so perfectly. For me, it sits firmly up there snuggled close to Different Seasons and Full Dark, No Stars.

Mr Harrigan’s Phone was simply a lot of fun! A little creepy at times and the writing just felt like old King, but with more modern topics, like
Will Byrnes
Nov 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Sorry, no two-thousand-word review planned. A rare thing, I know, but I do read a few books every year that are just for reading pleasure. No note-taking. No looks at themes or motifs, imagery, or how it related to me personally. No lists of interviews, summaries of each of the contained stories, no links to interviews with the author talking about the book, no list of links to other reviews I have written of the author's work. No list of characters in the stories who might have appeared before ...more
Matthew
Just announced! Another Holly Gibney mystery!

Note: to avoid confusion, I wrote the above on May 14, 2019. It is now released and I am reading it. Also, at the time I was not aware it was another four novella book.
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
4.5 Stars ⭐️

Read this for my Horror Group Challenge! The first and last short story were my favorites!

*Mr. Harrigan’s Phone - 5 Stars ⭐️

Mr. Harrigan's phone - loved
The Life of Chuck - Interesting
If it Bleeds - Holly Gibney, the story of the collection
Rat - Surprising. Loved

I did a review for each of these stories and I am going to include them in the bottom of this review eventually.

There are some novels I can't stand by Stephen for various reasons, but they all still read well. I just find that I slide along reading Stephen and his novels are effortless for me to read. He knows just how
Debra
Aug 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

"Because I can believe the unbelievable. I don't want to, but I can."

"If It Bleeds" is a compilation of four short stories titled "Mr. Harrigan's Phone", "The Life of Chuck", "If it Bleeds" and "Rat". In Mr. Harrigan’s Phone, Craig places Mr. Harrigan's phone in his pocket during his funeral. What happens when a phone rings in a grave? Will anyone answer? Then there is Chuck and his congratulatory 39 years. Will this have you asking, "what's up Chuck?". I will admit, this started strong and
Matt
May 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Any reader familiar with Stephen King will understand how versatile he can be. King’s ideas seem endless and he is able to spin them into pieces of varying lengths. In this collection of four short stories (I’d almost call them novellas), King shows not only how he can chill the reader to the core, but that his ideas are vast and yet usually tied to current social trends.

Mr. Harrigan’s Phone (four stars)
Craig has been working for his elderly neighbour for a few years, reading to Mr. Harrigan and
Kevin Kuhn
Aug 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a collection of four short works, novellas in length I believe. If I have a knock on the book, it’s that there isn’t really a good connection across the stories and “If It Bleeds” reads more like a novel that just didn’t quite pass the length test to be standalone. In the end, I don’t care, because I enjoyed all four stories and several were pure ‘King.’ I’ve written a little about each of the four stories below.

“Mr. Harrigan’s Phone”
King might be at his best when he writes from a child
Joey R.
Jul 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.0 stars — When I heard that “If it Bleeds” contained a sequel of sorts to one of my favorite books from last year, “The Outsider” I knew I would have to read it. However, the book also had three other short stories that were a part of this book. The first story, “Mr. Harriman’s Phone” was a lot like “Apt Pupil” but King did an excellent job as always in writing from a teenage perspective in a creepy story about a phone with the ability to contact a dead friend. The next novella “The Life of Ch ...more
J.D. Barker
Apr 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Like most of you, I devour everything Stephen King puts down on paper. He plays a great long game but it’s with short stories and novellas where he shines brightest and this latest collection of four may be his best yet. Over recent years his love for authors such as Michael Connelly, Don Winslow, and Meg Gardiner have crept into his own work, adding a realistic police procedural element to some of his tales. Combining with his uncanny ability to make the unbelievable believable, he tends to str ...more
Ken
May 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mr Harrigan's Phone
I absolutely loved this one, King writers such interesting characters that the reader instantly gets attached too.
All the staples of are here as we follow young Craig coming of age whilst working for the wealthy Mr. Harrigan.
During the course of their time together Craig introduces the elderly gentleman to an iPhone, resisting at first Mr. Harrigan soon realises the benefits of a cell phone and becomes hooked by the device.

King's scepticism to the technology is clear and well
Carol
4.5 Stars.

Oh Yeah! EXPLOSIVE new collection with Apparitions, HUNGRY evil....and one NASTY rat!

I so enjoy the anticipation of reading every new KING offering and his latest four story anthology, IF IT BLEEDS was no exception. When I first saw the cover and watched the interactive movement of the cat's nose on the cover, I paid my money on-line, of course, and used curbside pickup at Barnes & Noble the morning it was released to the public.

Anyway, I zoomed through the novel in less than two d

Edward Lorn
May 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
His best novella collection since DIFFERENT SEASONS. Full review coming soon.
Ginger
Oct 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buddy-read, 2020
I really enjoyed this collection of new Stephen King stories!

I’m going to rate each story on it’s own, but overall, I would gave this collection a rating of 4 STARS!

The first story in, If It Bleeds is called…

Mr. Harrigan's Phone – 4 Stars

I liked the nostalgic feel of this story about a young boy growing up and developing a close relationship with an old neighbor.

Craig is paid to read books to Mr. Harrigan after school. Over the course of many years, they develop a close friendship. Mr. Harri
Marchpane
A collection of four novellas, If It Bleeds is, depending on your inclination, either ‘classic King’ or ‘coasting King’ as it revisits themes, characters and ideas from his earlier work.

Oddly, this works in the book’s favour, lending it a sort of cosy nostalgia. The settings are ostensibly contemporary, but King writes as if living in a mythical dimension where no matter what the actual year is – with smart phones, Fitbits and Ubers thrown in as markers of modernity – it always feels like it’s
Sandeep
Another year another Stephen King book. I was delighted to find out that this was a collection of short stories with one novella. I have enjoyed every single one of his shorter works so far and I was excited for this. Here are my reviews for each one of the stories in the book:

Mr. Harrigan's Phone - 4 stars.

A bittersweet tale of a boy and a wealthy old man. They boy reads to the old man during the evening and he pays for it. The relationship somehow continues after the man's demise. Some sup
Rebecca McNutt
I had planned to read If It Bleeds back in May, but one unemployed summer later, I've now just finished reading it in September. Like most King anthologies, its stories are horror-based, but two things stand out about this one: both its focus on thriller-based horror rather than fantasy horror, and its featured selling point being an included standalone short story sequel to King's popular book The Outsider.

I've never been a huge fan of the character Holly Gibney. The innocent, eccentric, may-be
Beata
Sep 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed all four novellas, especially The Life of Chuck has a twist I did not see coming.
I would definitely recommend this offering by Mr King to anyone who has never read his books before as this collection gives a proper taste of SK writing, and the novellas are not that long. A mild suggestion: the title If It Bleeds refers to another novel and will be most appreciated after The Outsider.
Edgarr Alien Pooh
May 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Stephen King delivers yet again with this volume of four short stories. Much of the anticipation around this was the short story that furthers the story of Holly Gibney of the Finders Keepers Agency, introduced to us in the Bill Hodges Trilogy and then becoming the main character in The Outsider.

The longest of the four stories is the title story, If It Bleeds, which is the one that Holly appears in. Although she is only in this story I would have to say you need to read her previous encounters t
Tucker  (TuckerTheReader)
[10/03/19] - Unpopular opinion time! I am not a fan of this cover. It totally branches off from the style of The Outsiders and The Institute and I LOVED that style. Also, is that Church from Pet Sematary?

*************

[9/12/19] - Holly was one of my favorite characters from The Outsiders. I am beyond excited

*************

is this real?!

| Goodreads | Blog | Pinterest | LinkedIn | YouTube | Instagram
Victoria
May 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
I’m a Stephen King novice. Horror is just not my thing, paranormal is really outside of my wheelhouse, but after listening to his On Writing memoir and insights on the craft I realized his storytelling was just my style. So I’ve been on the hunt for books that won’t induce nightmares and this collection of four novellas was a great way to dip my toe in the master’s macabre waters.

Mr. Harrigan’s Phone: A wonderful coming-of-age story with some beyond the grave moments that intrigued, more than f
Farrah
May 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stephen King's writing is so smooth that I easily get lost in his stories.
I LOVED this book. Especially The Life of Chuck. It was mysterious, frightening, sad and uplifting all the same time.
Mr. H's Phone and Rat were creepy AF.
The main novella If It Bleeds continues where The Outsider left off. It's a great story but I feel Holly Gibney has run her course. She's silly and childish and I don't believe she was a strong enough character to carry the story.
This book truly should have been 5*, King
Buddy Reads w./ J...: Overall Thoughts 4 33 Oct 26, 2020 08:44PM
Madison County NC...: If it Bleeds 1 2 Oct 08, 2020 07:56AM
RMFAO (Reading My...: BOTM-1-October'20 - If It Bleeds 1 18 Oct 01, 2020 09:49AM
Play Book Tag: (Poll Ballot) If It Bleeds by Stephen King - 4.5 stars 1 10 Jul 26, 2020 06:06AM
Buddy Reads w./ J...: Story Four: Rat 5 19 Jun 29, 2020 02:57PM

• Afterlife
  • One Good Deed
  • The Hunger Games Trilogy Boxset (The Hunger Games, #1-3)
  • Opposition (Lux, #5)
  • Lost Connections: Uncovering the Real Causes of Depression - and the Unexpected Solutions
  • Origin (Lux, #4)
  • Forever Odd (Odd Thomas, #2)
  • Harlan Ellison's Watching
  • Complicated
  • Quantum (Captain Chase #1)
  • Lover Revealed (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #4)
  • Lover Unbound (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #5)
  • A Spoonful of Mayhem (Doctor Who: Missy Series 01)
  • The Broken Clock (Doctor Who: Missy Series 01)
  • Missy: Series 1

Articles featuring this book

Spring ushers in blooming flowers, warmer weather, and more daylight hours for reading! We're here to help you beat any lingering winter...
“When an old man dies, a library burns.” 15 likes
“Films are ephemeral, while books—the good ones—are eternal, or close to it.” 14 likes