Start by marking “The Gingerbread Architect: Recipes and Blueprints for Twelve Classic American Homes” as Want to Read:

What happens when an architect who is also an avid baker gets together with a house-obsessed pastry chef? Twelve classic American homes rendered in gingerbread.

Are you dreaming of a colonial Christmas? Here’s your chance to build a traditional Cape Cod house in freshly baked gingerbread, complete with breath-mint pinnacles, Twizzler shingles, and a brick-red fruit-leather
Published October 21st 2008 by Clarkson Potter

To ask other readers questions about The Gingerbread Architect, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gingerbread Architect

Start your review of The Gingerbread Architect: Recipes and Blueprints for Twelve Classic American Homes
Sara
Nov 13, 2008 rated it really liked it

This book is so cool! Thinking about making a gingerbread house but don't want to churn out some sticky, overdone thing that should have an evil witch living inside it? Check this out.

The book is divided into 2 sections. The front section is high gloss detailed color photos of the different houses and their landscapes, basic instructions and modification suggestions, as well as historical reference info.

The back section is all the blueprints, printed on standard paper so that they can be enlar
Kristi
Sep 01, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a great book for a beginning - intermediate gingerbread house builder. I really enjoyed looking at the different styles of architecture. The recipes would also be helpful. I was surprised to not see any iconic architecture examples (famous architectural pieces). I was also surprised not to see any examples or instructions on curved walls or towers.

This book contains blueprints, step-by-step instructions for the following houses:
Pueblo
Cape Cod
Dawson City House
Carpenter Gothic
Greek Reviva
Alyssa
Dec 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I aspire to this level of badass.
Susie Steadman
Dec 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love this!
Abbey
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a very helpful book full of helful suggestions and house plans.
Wendy
Nov 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I'm in the thick of making my first gingerbread house from scratch, and I'm in way above my head, but this book is a lifesaver. I've read it through a few times now. The authors are an architect and a baker, so they don't miss a detail. Very simple and plain instructions for very elaborate houses. Good solid recipes too. ...more
A
Mar 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adult, cookbook, dessert, food
Have you ever wanted to make a more than ordinary Gingerbread House - well this is the book for you. However, plan on spending some good quality time sitting down to plan out your house. The back of the book comes with literal architect plans to create the walls, roofs, porches, etc. for each home. The book includes 12 classic American homes. So cool! NOT for kids - way too complicated.
Alexandria Hiam
Mar 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adult, cookbook, dessert, food
Jenny (Reading Envy)
Mar 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: baking, read09
A truly great instruction guide to a very specific baking project - the blueprints were the best part, and I made my first gingerbread house ever - it just happened to be an antebellum mansion instead of a simple square that most people might try. This book helped me be fearless.
Amy
Dec 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
My frustrated inner architect definitely was at play when I picked this book up. The book is beautify photographed and the directions are clear and helpful. Matheson does a good job giving you ideas and getting you excited to try some new things.
Barb
Jan 23, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: beginner gingerbread house builders
Lots of information on building gingerbread houses combined with trivia about architectural styles. The recipes, blueprints and instructions for building the houses are very clear.
Jeani

• Scott Pilgrim, Volume 4: Scott Pilgrim Gets It Together
  • Scott Pilgrim, Volume 2: Scott Pilgrim vs. The World
  • Chalice
  • Wildflower
  • Yoga for Emotional Trauma: Meditations and Practices for Healing Pain and Suffering
  • The Velveteen Rabbit