Start by marking “The Boy in the Burgundy Hood” as Want to Read:
The Boy in the Burgundy Hood

The Boy in the Burgundy Hood

An atmospheric, spine-tingling ghost story with a dark twist…

Alice Deaton can't believe her luck when she lands her dream job at a medieval English manor house. Mired in debt, the elderly owners have transferred their beloved Bramley to a heritage trust. Alice must prepare it for opening to the public in the spring.

But when the ghosts start appearing - the woman with th
Published November 14th 2019

To ask other readers questions about The Boy in the Burgundy Hood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Boy in the Burgundy Hood

Start your review of The Boy in the Burgundy Hood
paulinereidbookreviewer
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Ellen Read
Shelves: fiction, mysteries
Book Review by Pauline Reid 🔥 The Boy In The Burgundy Hood by Steve Griffin.
What This Book Is About
Alice Deaton had a new job, in a medieval manor house, 700 years old, owned by the Trust of England ... she was now ...boss.... the property manager.... this is ... Bramley. The owners (or-kind-of-not-really-owners).. the S-J's who are in their 60s, they didn't have the funds or energy to keep Bramley clean or tidy.... so
Alice went through the house, stopping and admiring certain aspects of the
Caroline Noe
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Alice Deaton is surprised when she gets her dream job managing a newly acquired house and grounds for a heritage trust. Granted the in residence former owners are a little odd and the atmosphere strange, but she's happy, until the titular ghost runs across her path. She might not be afraid of ghosts, but there may be worse things to fear in the great house.
The Boy in the Burgundy Hood is an atmospheric slow burn of a spooky novel, but turn the screw it does, right up to its terrifyingly dark fin
David
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Alice is a feisty yet vulnerable heroine; chosen as the ideal candidate by a heritage trust she is keen to make a success of her dream job but the dream slowly turns into a nightmare.
The story gripped me throughout, not only because of the plot but also because it is very well written. The author has a gift describing locations which really brings them to life in one's mind. Highly recommended.
Emma Britton
Dec 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
A really good adult ghost story. Its very interesting to follow the story of Alice especially as she is not afraid of ghosts yet for the reader the descriptions of them can be quite chilling! I would definitely recommend this book.
Sherry Ross
Oct 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Boy in the Burgundy Hood by Steve Griffin

Mr. Griffin’s tale, The Boy in the Burgundy Hood, is an eerie but beautiful ghost story. If you love ghost stories, medieval English manor houses, art, architecture, roman mythology, old tapestries and also favor your characters to be a bit eccentric, you will drink this book right up. The 28-year-old Alice Deaton has landed the job she has always wanted as a manager of Bramley Manor House, recently contracted by the Trust for England. On the very day of
Linda Lou
Nov 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Boy in the Burgundy Hood is a haunting and at times violent story. The descriptive passages are this author’s strength as he combines the backdrop of Bramley Manor with the playing out of the story. I was easily led into the story and allowed it to envelope me. Each room came into clear focus, catching every intricate detail along with bits of its history and clues. The gardens and surrounding grounds were just as detailed. I could almost feel the crispiness of autumn ending and winter nippi ...more
Franny Burd
Dec 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
What could be better than a medieval English house that includes a ghost or two? This well-written novel tells the tale of a young woman who begins a new job as a caretaker of a property owned by the National Trust of England. Soon after moving into the isolated home, she discovers that all is not as it seems. A spooky, atmospheric read.
Anna
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thoroughly enjoyable and atmospheric ghost story with good twists and turns. Definitely one to read.
Kevin Slater
Feb 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Very good

A well deserved 5stars I really enjoyed this book it was very well written
With many twists i never saw coming.
Elisabeth Korn
Nov 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Atmospheric winters read with a good twist. I like a ghost story at this time of year and this pushed all the right buttons. The relationships between the different characters were gripping, and it had a fantastic ending.
T.K. Toppin
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully creepy! I usually don't read ghost stories, because...ghosts. But I sucked it up and decided to give this a try. It was truly beautifully crafted story, rich in detail from the vivid descriptions of the landscape, architectures, and the history. It was so easy to imagine myself right there with Alice, following her every step. The story was engaging enough that, scary ghosts aside, I wanted to know what happened next! There was creepiness, suspense, mystery, and history all balled up ...more
Ellen Read
Dec 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a ghost story with a difference. Alice Deaton lands her dream job at a medieval manor house in England. The elderly owners, who still live on the premises, have transferred Bramley, the home they love, to a heritage trust to take on its upkeep. Alice’s job is to prepare the house and grounds for a public opening in the spring.

At the outset, Alice sees the ghost of a young boy in a burgundy hood. He runs through the house and out into the grounds. Alice follows him but can’t catch up. Ali
Soulla Christodoulou
Aug 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I read this book in the evenings, in bed, over a couple of weeks and it wasn’t until I got to the second part of the book that I became totally engrossed in what was coming next. The first part of the book was a little slow for me, less mysterious. However the descriptions of the setting and the old mansion were beautiful and I did enjoy these - proof there is a place for Tell not Show and Steve capitalised on these parts of the story with detail and precision. Clearly a lot of research went int ...more
T.L. Clark
Oct 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal, ghost
This is an original ghost story - a breath of fresh air. I love how the protagonist isn't scared of ghosts. And I really like that there's at least one modern ghost despite the beautiful, historical setting of a medieval manor house.

As someone who enjoys snooping around National Trust properties, I adored being taken around Bramley Manor. The place has a lot of history - some of which has come back to bite it in the bum!

Alice lands the job of her dreams - helping ready a property so it can be
Vicky Coughlan
Deborah
Apr 01, 2021 rated it liked it
Sentences did it

This was a tough read for me. The sentences in this story was heavy with commas, it hurt to read

Frances Burd
Dec 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Atmospheric Ghost Stoty

What could be better than a medieval English house that includes a ghost or two? This well-written novel tells the story of a young woman who begins a new job as caretaker of a property owned by the National Trust of England. Soon after moving into the isolated home, she discovers that all is not as it seems. A good, spooky read.
Jennifer Griffin
Apr 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Was up til 3am to finish, could not put it down

Was a little slow to start but soon got into it andhad some good twists, a good read, would highly recommend this book
Julie Embleton
Jan 14, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Alice lands her dream job, but soon finds herself in a waking nightmare, not only stalked by persistent ghosts, but troubled by the strange behaviours of Bramley Manor’s owners.

I saw lots of praise for this paranormal tale popping up on Instagram, and I agree with all the well-deserved 5 star reviews. From the get-go, Griffin hits you with a suitably chilling sense of threat, one that strains and disturbs until released for the terrifying finale. This perfect simmer makes The Boy in the Burgund
Stephanie Moss
Mar 03, 2021 rated it it was amazing
A great read

I loved this book and read it in one happy afternoon. If you love ghosts and history, this ones for you,
John Fryer
Oct 31, 2020
Trefor Bark
Mar 03, 2021
Steve Griffin
Feb 26, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Ruth Riley

• The House That Fell From The Sky
  • The House of a Hundred Whispers
  • The Nightmare of Crowford Hospital
  • A Ghost Arrives: A Novel
  • The Haunting of the Crowford Hoy (The Ghosts of Crowford Book 5)
  • The Haunting of Meade Mansion (A Riveting Haunted House Mystery, #9)
  • The Ruin of Delicate Things
  • The Haunting of Nelson Street (The Ghosts of Crowford Book 1)
  • Trill
  • Dark Voyage (Tales from the Dark Past, #1)
  • The Hanging Tree: A Historical Mystery
  • The Haunting of Abram Mansion
  • Haunted: Perron Manor
  • A Place So Wicked
  • The Haunting of Rookward House
  • The Haunting of Gallagher Hotel
Steve Griffin writes chilling ghost stories, thrilling young adult adventure, and inspiring poetry.

His most recent book is the #1 International Bestseller, The Boy in the Burgundy Hood, described by US author Sherry Ross as ‘an eerie but beautiful ghost story’.

Steve’s travels around India, Africa and America - combined with the discovery of a magical garden buried deep in the English countryside

News & Interviews

According to some historians, the month of April is actually named after Aphrodite, the Greek goddess of love, by way of the Romans....