Start by marking “Violya (In the Heart of the Mountains #2)” as Want to Read:
Violya (In the Heart of the Mountains #2)

Violya

(In the Heart of the Mountains #2)

A gifted warrior consumed by revenge. An unstoppable enemy rampaging ever closer. A ravaged country in desperate need of a ruler.

After a brutal and bloody invasion, a once powerful matriarchal nation is in chaos.

Only the shy warrior Violya can pick up the pieces and save her broken country. But an old threat – for one thousand years suppressed – has awoken. Now unleashed,
Kindle Edition
Published December 10th 2019 by NValters

To ask other readers questions about Violya, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Violya

Start your review of Violya (In the Heart of the Mountains #2)
C.T. Phipps
Dec 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: grimdark, fantasy

4.5/5

VIOLYA by Rosalyn Kelly is the second volume of IN THE HEART OF THE MOUNTAINS, which is a feminist dark fantasy series that deals with a multitude of societies undergoing deep social changes. I really enjoyed the previous volume, MELOKAI, and eagerly picked up this book the moment that it came out.

The book opens up with a helpful recap of the previous one's story hooks and plots, which I believe more books should include. The previous Melokai is dead
Rebekah Teller
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is book two, the follow up to Melokai. I very much enjoyed the world Melokai introduced us to, and have been eagerly awaiting the sequel. This book did not disappoint.

Where the first book spent more time introducing us to the world and the cultures, this one picks up where it left off and focuses much more on characters. Most of the point of view characters from book one continue here, with the exception of course of any who did not survive book one. No spoilers.

The character development i
Koeur
Dec 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Review: I received this from the author in exchange for an honest review and NOT Netgalley i.e. the tramplers of First Amendment rights while licking the anus’ of publishers.

Once again this author takes a very daunting approach to writing as there is a lot going on. Big props for wending a tale steeped in a myriad of unconventional approaches. What is a consistent theme throughout the novel, no matter the Kingdom in which it resides, is that men suck and when not sucking they are beta males tout
Saundra Wright
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Anyone who loves great sagas needs to check out this series. The world is as richly imagined as the complex word of The Game of Thrones series by George R. R. Martin. It explores totally different types of people, the politics of the land both internal and between nations, with the added punch of magic.

The last Molokai, the leader of her people, was killed during an invasion by a neighboring land. Violya is a warrior. No one is more surprised than she when she is selected as the new Molokai.

But
Sarah Rutherford
Dec 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have been eagerly waiting to read Rosalyn's second book to see where she would take the characters next. This sequel is compelling and I was hooked by the first chapter (think I read it in 2 days!). The characters have evolved and there is more depth to their personalities which bring them to life through this intricate tale that is set in some intriguing locations. I love how the detailed descriptions of the environment allow you to visualize each element as if you were there, but don't detra ...more
Becky
Dec 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
With the first book in this trilogy ending in a gripping finale, I couldn't wait to read the follow up, Violya. And I wasn't disappointed thanks to plenty of fast-paced action and strong female characters all set in a convincingly complex fantasy landscape.

With some beautiful descriptive touches, Violya transports you to another world. One where women don't just take a back seat or linger on the periphery but are at the heart of the story.

Like the first book Melokai, I couldn't put this novel
Yvonne
Dec 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Violya is the second book in the In The Heart of the Mountains Trilogy, the first one being Melokai which I read a couple of years ago.

This is an epic fantasy saga and the second book delivers just as much action and adventure as the first. In this second instalment the author has drawn me once again back into the world she has created. This book sees the different races of people being drawn into something more dangerous and it is a threat to the survival of their races.

The author has pitted fa
Shaylyn
Feb 26, 2020 rated it it was ok
Finally done with this - excuse my words - crap. I only read it because a) it was cheap (I have the ebook), b) taking a book to lectures is not so easy to hide and c) it's still more interesting than some of my classes.
That said, it was really annoying to read. Why not one star, then? Because some of the characters are interesting, despite being stupid. And because of the cliffhanger at the end of the book.
If you want to read something and not question what is going on, you might enjoy this book
Dann
Jan 13, 2020 rated it liked it
With Violya, once again I am sent back to Rosalyn Kelly’s grim and brutal world, and for that, I am very happy. Set in her In the Heart of her Mountains series, Kelly’s Violya depicts the story of the titular character Violya (or V for short), the new Melokai of Peqkya. A once cautious warrior, V is thrust into a chaotic nation whereby she must repair her fractured nature, bonds, and garner new treaties with adversaries and once close allies. There is no time for hesitation, V must fight for her ...more
Robyn Percy
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed Violya and found it very hard to put down!

After the tragic and cliffhanger ending to book 1 of this trilogy (Melokai), I'd been eagerly awaiting Violya and I wasn't disappointed.

The author takes us into the world where ancient tribal wars are re-awakened, and warrior Violya must lead her people in a role she was destined for. Although I don't read a lot of fantasy, I found Violya gripping and found myself rooting for her and her people. There are many likeable characters to get b
Ray Else
Dec 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing

An expansive adventure fantasy.

Written with a confident hand, the author fearlessly takes one to places and incidents never imagined, accompanied by (mostly female) characters brave and magical, ready to stand up to evil. I loved the caterpillar scarf!

Melody Spencer
Apr 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-ebooks
This story is so unique and a delight to read. It did not capture my attention continuously as the first book had but the multiple storylines still had a lot going on and there was still those doark and shocking scenes I came to expect.

I find that with many trilogies the first book is so interesting because of the character and world building that must be done, the second installments are usually a midway journey that is entertaining but it's ultimately leading to an epic conclusion in the final
May 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Plenty and plenty of action in this one. I was a bit taken by it all. These battles were huge impacts on the story yet they were over fairly quickly. Which just proves the big battle to come is going to be a monster. Just love how the Author keeps adding more layers to the story, more depths to the different kinds of people that exist in the world she has built.

It had been a while since I read the first so the starting chapter did feel a little info dumped. I couldn’t follow half of it.
Nathan
Jun 20, 2020
Eleanor Brown
Nov 16, 2019
Rosalyn Kelly
Nov 17, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)
Reuben
Frank Dorrian
Jan 12, 2020
Ryan Campbell
Jan 20, 2020

• Blood of Elves (The Witcher, #1)
  • Crimes of the Levee
  • Mango Bay (Mango Bob, #3)
  • Mango Key (Mango Bob #5)
  • Hunting Ground
  • Kitty Confidential (Pet Whisperer PI #1)
  • A Town Divided (A Mountain Mystery #4)
  • The Fall of Castle Carrick
  • Gator Wave (Troy Bodean Tropical Thriller #7)
  • Impostor (Alexander Gregory Thrillers, #1)
  • The Caiaphas Code (Alex Hunt Adventure Thriller, #6)
  • Summer Nights in Lantern Square (Lantern Square #1)
  • Tomb of the First Priest (Lost Origins #1)
  • Tomes and Terriers (A Magic Library Mystery Book 1)
  • The Case Of The Pixie Deal
  • A Heart in the Right Place
  • Good Witch
  • The Sweet-Maker of Connemara
Get my novella The Fall of Vaasar as a free ebook here: www.rosalynkelly.co.uk/free-book

Rosalyn Kelly grew up in the magical New Forest in the south of England and has lived around the country as well as in the Middle East, and travelled all over the world.

She studied English Literature and Language at Oxford Brookes University before embarking on a PR and marketing career.

After ten years telli

In the Heart of the Mountains (2 books)
  • Melokai (In the Heart of the Mountains #1)