Start by marking “Mayhem: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Mayhem: A Novel

Estelle Laure

Mayhem: A Novel

A YA feminist mash up inspired by The Lost Boys and The Craft.

It's 1987 and unfortunately it's not all Madonna and cherry lip balm. Mayhem Brayburn has always known there was something off about her and her mother, Roxy. Maybe it has to do with Roxy's constant physical pain, or maybe with Mayhem's own irresistible pull to water. Either way, she knows they aren't like
Expected publication: July 14th 2020 by Wednesday Books

To ask other readers questions about Mayhem, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mayhem

Start your review of Mayhem: A Novel
Chelsea Humphrey
Oct 15, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chelsea by: St. Martin's Press
"Set in 1987, MAYHEM is a mashup of The Lost Boys and The Craft with a bit of the Manson family thrown in for good measure. It’s original, compelling, and a little bit rock-’n’-roll, and reading it will leave you feeling deliciously wicked."

My TBR feels personally attacked by all these hype books being published in 2020.
Heather *Undercover Goth Queen*
I requested this book from NetGalley because it was called "a mashup of The Lost Boys and The Craft." (With a dash of the Manson family, apparently.) As the world's leading expert on those two movies, I decided I would be the judge of that.

Well, I didn't quite see the resemblance to The Craft. It was more like if the witches from Practical Magic did more murder. However, it was more than clear the author borrowed from The Lost Boys—almost too much actually, and it began to hamper my enjoyment.

Jessie Sedai of the Black Ajah🥀🐍
I loved this!

This was pure gold - a perfect blend of dark themes and youthful spirit set against the backdrop of beach vibes and eighties nostalgia.

Mayhem seeks refuge at her aunt's farm in Santa Monica after being on the run from her abusive step-father. She befriends her three adopted cousins, Jason, Neve and Kidd, who introduce her to fun times at the boardwalk and on the beach. When Mayhem starts to feel a strange pull towards the ocean, her cousins reveal that a magical lineage runs deep
Amber
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received a complimentary copy of this e-book ARC from the author, publisher, and Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Mayhem and Roxy move to Santa Maria to escape an abusive environment. When Mayhem discovers that her family are witches, will she accept her powers and give in to her namesake to kill anyone who harms her family and others? Read on and find out for yourself.

This was a pretty good YA horror fantasy. If you like stories like this, be sure to check this book out when it
Taylor Knight
Jan 01, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
I loved the idea of this book more than the actual book. It sounded amazing but the execution could have been better. The writing style was beautiful, I loved it. The descriptions were so wonderfully written and creates such a lush visualization of the characters and settings.
I've never seen The Craft or The Lost Boys but I've seen multiple reviews saying it borderline copies The Lost Boys at various points, which if that’s the case, I'm not a fan of direct copying someone else’s work.
The
Joanna Bennett
Rating: 2.5

Too much was borrowed from The Lost Boys and the book was pretty slow, not a lot of action.

Full Review to Come.
Jenn
Jan 20, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen, ebook, arc, 2020
Thank you NetGalley for an advanced copy of Mayhem.

I was hooked with the description of this teen novel- set in the 80s and a mashup of Lost Boys and The Craft. I’ve only seen Lost Boys once (I live with an 80s boy who insisted) but The Craft is a fav of mine and I love anything with witches or supernatural entities so I was in! (for the record, I think it was more like Practical Magic- I didn’t get Craft vibes at all.)

It’s hard to talk about this book without giving too much away. This book
Johnna Whetstone
3 for neutral. Unfortunately, I couldn’t get into this book on the occasions I tried, but will update at later date. If able to get into it and read it all the way through. I think I was thinking of something else, when I requested, which may be why my mood isn’t letting me enjoy it.
Kristi
The biggest reason I requested Mayhem by Estelle Laure is this:

“Set in 1987, MAYHEM is a mashup of The Lost Boys and The Craft with a bit of the Manson family thrown in for good measure.”

Whaaat! They had me at The Lost Boys. Literally. At. The. Lost. Boys.!

There are a lot of TLB references right down to the Edgar and Alan Frog, the vampire fighting comic book store owning brothers who played a prominent role in TLB movie. Instead of Santa Carla, it’s Santa Maria, there’s a nod to the sax
Tonya
Magic and the ability to find the bad guys and put an end to them is an irresistible pull for Mayhem Brayburn. Her mom, Roxy moves them back to their home town and life changes. Her mom's relationship with her step-dad has soured and they cling to the safety that Santa Maria, California represents. The three kids that her aunt Elle has adopted open their arms to show Mayhem how to have fun and let loose in Santa Maria. The kid are the ones that introduce Mayhem to the mystical and powerful ...more
Lucy Goodfellow
Dec 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: quick reads to kill time
4 Stars

A riveting and complex story with magical elements about a family of women contending with what appears to be an irreversible destiny

Structurally, this is a novel is in two parts. Therefore, this review will be in two parts - Before the Cave and After the Cave.

Before the Cave
This could have been a 5-star book if it wasn’t for the beginning. Estelle Laure struggles to find a balance between clunky dialogue and bland flat character descriptions. The story seemed predictable, juvenile and
Zoe  Ysabella
Dec 23, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Thank you to NetGalley for providing me with a copy in exchange for an honest review!

Mayhem is filled with beautiful prose and lush descriptions that place the reader in such a specific time and place that you can visualize everything perfectly. It identifies as a mash up of The Craft and The Lost Boys mixed with a little bit of the Manson family. It follows a girl named Mayhem and her mother Roxy as they return to her mother's home and sister which she had run away from so long ago. Mayhem
Em Jay
Feb 07, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
BEACH. GOTHIC.

I was so excited to get my hands on this book! The cover is amazing, the blurb is amazing, and, one more time for everyone in the back: BEACH GOTHIC. The writing absolutely didn't disappoint; Estelle Laure is lyrical, vivid, and just a little unhinged with her prose. This created an atmosphere that wedged itself in my head for days, in all its glittery, dark, witchy glory. I LOVED the headiness of Santa Monica and I loved how real it all felt. It's a world I would happily return
Samantha Dupree
I didn't hate this book but I won't be picking up any sequels and will likely forget any character details within the week. I didn't want to feel that way and I think had I read this as a younger teen I would think differently but with what was promised, I just didn't get it.

For starters, the least developed character was (all of them tbh) our lead. I dont know what she likes or doesnt, she has nothing of a personality except as a jumping off point for the more stereotypical characters around
Cheryl
Jan 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Katy
Dec 05, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, urban-fantasy, ya, arc
I received an advanced reading copy of this book in exchange for honest review.

Mayhem touts itself as "a mashup of The Lost Boys and The Craft with a bit of the Manson family thrown in for good measure" and I find that to be quite an apt description. It reads like a combination of many familiar elements, taking bits from 80s/90s movies and pieces from other YA novels (it gave me recall to Twilight, and any VC Andrews, to name a few). It goes on to describes itself as "original" which gave me
Konny
Jan 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mayhem by Estelle Laure is the first book I read by this author. Mayhem is a stand alone ya horror-ish story. Roxy and Mayhem Brayburn are part of a special family. THey reside in a smll town since forever. Roxy left whith Mayhem when she was a little girl and both lived a miserable life across the country. But now both are back and the following events are shaping Mayhem in a way nobody had dreamed of.
Mayhem is a book that throws you right into story. There is no slowly easying in.
Mayhem's
(っ◔◡◔)っ ♥ Kasey ♥
**Disclaimer: I received an advance review copy for free, and I am leaving this review voluntarily.**

PROS:
+ Mayhem and Roxy's relationship is interesting to see develop in the first half of the book. They are both going through a lot in regards to abuse, addiction, assault, etc., and I feel that it was done well.

CONS:
- Magical elements are suddenly introduced - there isn't much of a lead in to expect that magic is in this world.
- A lot of the characters change suddenly (not just those that are
Tonya
Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Mary Mostly Reads
Wow.
Mayhem was so much more than I expected it to be. The synopsis does not even give the depth of the story justice.
Estelle Laure did an amazing job at creating characters with such intriguing backgrounds and emotions. She displayed such difficult topics like spousal abuse, murder, foster care and so much more with so much truth and rawness that it really helps you to understand each character and their own stories better.
Mayhem, as a character, goes from a shy, meek girl to someone who is
Jeremy Wood
I received an ARC of this book from NetGalley in exchange for a fair review. I wanted to love this book. The theme of abuse and the effects of toxic mother-daughter relationships are important and need to be addressed, and, after reading the first chapters, I really thought that I would be captivated by this book. Alas, the spell ended long before the final chapter.

For such a short book, there are a number of plot lines that felt extraneous (or haphazardly constructed), and the relationships
Jantine
Feb 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mayhem is a wonderful coming of age book with fantasy elements. It is both very light and very dark, both very warm and very cold, both wonderful and awful. It's just how life is, and written in such a way that all those emotions and atmosphere come across like you are really there, in Mayhem's skin.

This is the kind of book I will probably remember a couple of times when I'm looking for a book to read, hoping that other book will touch me like this one did.

I received a free copy through
Suleika Santana -All About Books
I'm rounding to 4 stars but it's more like 3.5 stars. I really enjoyed the story but my biggest problem with this one was the characters. The adults were bad, not like how parents should be. Their behavior was just so difficult for me to understand even if the sisters were dealing with the magic they still could have behaved a little bit more like a parent should be. Even tho this story is in the 80's I still think parents should have behaved a little different. Who leaves their teen kids ...more
Ashley
Jan 01, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, 2020
I received an ARC of this book thanks to NetGalley. And I’m not at all sure what to say about it or how to rate it. I wanted to keep reading, so clearly I was engaged. But I was also confused, but I feel like explaining my confusion would lead to major spoilers. Some parts of the book just didn’t make sense and I had to read over and over, and some parts were a little too convenient and predictable. But it was a pretty original tale and I definitely think a lot of students would like it.
Rachel Stansel
A different type of story about a family of women with special abilities. This was a fast read, and overall I enjoyed it. May is an interesting character and the interwoven family history was cool. I was really confused for longer than I should admit about what the abilities were. I'm not sure it that was me or not, but I found it detracted from the story some.

Full disclosure- I received a copy of the book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
Megan Haigis
Feb 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Set in Santa Maria, this is the perfect beach read. The beach, boardwalk, and farm are the bright, colorful backdrop to this thrilling young adult novel. Blending feminism and family secrets, this is not your typical supernatural origin story, but I found it fascinating. Mayhem, the speaker and heroine of the story, grows from fragile victim to protector and vigilante in a very satisfying way. A quick read that I couldn't put down, I recommend this book for a relaxing weekend.
Samantha
Jan 23, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really wanted to enjoy this book, because the summary sounded awesome. That said, I found it to be a bit slow and that it was almost trying too hard to live up to its comparison to The Lost Boys. I was hoping for something that felt a bit fresher, but instead the story felt too focused on the things that inspired it.
Deb
Feb 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a goodreads win. Mayhem so wanted to know all about her father and the rest of her family. For some reason her mother Roxy never wanted to talk about. Finally after numerous beatings from Roxy's husband she decides to move back home with Mayhem. Mayhem gets all her answers.
grieshaber.reads
A SoCal beach. The eighties. The Lost Boys. Secrets and horror. Estelle Laure’s YA horror has lots of adult appeal (that 80s nostalgia) and it comes out in July. I’ll save my full review til closer to that time. Thanks to NetGalley for the ARC!
The writing and setting in Mayhem build a wonderful start to the story. Unfortunately it quickly runs out of steam as the plot continues. The characters are likable and creative, but the overall storyline loses the reader.

• You Are Not Alone
  • The Vanishing Deep
  • Enemies
  • The Sunday Girl
  • The Other Mrs.
Estelle Laure is a Vonnegut worshipper who believes in love and magic and the power of facing hard truths. She has a BA in Theater Arts from New Mexico State University and an MFA in Writing for Children and Young Adults from Vermont College of Fine Arts, and thinks everyone should have to wait tables or work in a kitchen at least once in their lives. She lives in Taos, New Mexico with her ...more