Start by marking “To Sleep in a Sea of Stars” as Want to Read:

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  2,994 ratings  ·  1,115 reviews
"To Sleep in a Sea of Stars is a brand new epic novel from New York Times bestselling author Christopher Paolini.

Kira Navárez dreamed of life on new worlds.

Now she's awakened a nightmare.

During a routine survey mission on an uncolonized planet, Kira finds an alien relic. At first she's delighted, but elation turns to terror when the ancient dust around her begins to
Published September 15th 2020 by Tor Books

·  2,994 ratings  ·  1,115 reviews

Start your review of To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Stephanie L
Nov 19, 2019 marked it as pre-ordered
But the real question is, will there be space dragons?
Miranda Reads
Sep 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Guys. Gals. People of all ages. HE'S WRITTEN ANOTHER MOTHER-EFFING BOOK. (cue the screaming).

Update: HAPPY PUBLICATION DAY!!
description
When Netgalley granted my request, I just knew that I had to Vlog the Reading Experience .

The Written Review

Kira Navárez has always been fascinated by the outer worlds - specifically, life on other planets.

She's spent her life traveling to the edges of the known universe to categorize and learn from the microbes and other creatures.

Her latest mission? It
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
Starting my "Giving authors a second/last chance" challenge!
Mary S. R.
Jul 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: plot-driven, hard sci-fi thriller fans
(4.5 ★’s) No, there are no space dragons—there are space squids instead. And my general reaction to this mammoth is:

“Eat the path, or the path will eat you.”

Christopher Paolini has been sitting on this book for about a decade and man, it shows. No, I don’t mean a glorious Paolini-sized dent in the physical copy but on everything sci-fi and epic and action about To Sleep in a Sea of Stars, which is the majority of it. This man just killed it—seized it by the throat and throttled it, to quote
megs_bookrack
Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs-read
Upon finishing To Sleep in a Sea of Stars, I thought I would give it 4.5-stars and round up. I'll be honest, there were some flaws; some teeny-tiny aspects I didn't love.

However, after having time to reflect on it, this is absolutely a 5-star read for me.

I CANNOT STOP thinking about it!

This novel is quite the accomplishment for Paolini. If I am remembering the Author's Note correctly, he worked on this project for nine years and it shows; as close to perfection as you can get.

In the beginning o
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Just some little name drops that remind me of Alien and Alien VS Predator: Weyland, Hendriksen, Bishop. And I’m okay with it 😉

Horror welled up inside Kira.
She clawed at her forearms in a desperate attempt to rip off the alien organism. Even with their hard veneer, her nails couldn’t cut or break the fibers.

I love this book so much!! 😫

I can’t say enough how much I love this book!

I love sooo many characters:
Kira
Itari

and so many
marilyn
Sep 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
To Sleep in a Sea of Stars by Christopher Paolini, narrated by Jennifer Hale.

When I saw the To Sleep in a Sea of Stars title, I wasn't sure about tackling 880 pages. Then I saw that the book was narrated by Jennifer Hale and the fact that the narration is 32 hours and 30 minutes, mattered not one iota. Because I've played as Commander Shepard, in the Mass Effect games, more times than I will ever admit. I'm also familiar with Hale's voice acting as Krem, in the Dragon Age Inquisition game. I jum
✨ A ✨
Nov 19, 2019 marked it as to-read
well hello there new Christopher Paolini book. I don't even like reading sci-fi but I'll make an exception for you 😉

description
Bradley
It having been much more than a decade since I've read anything else by Paolini -- his dragons were pretty okay -- I came to the idea of reading his adult space opera with mild anticipation.

I mean, sure, it's often true that many writers of fantasy who decide to jump the fence into SF do so brilliantly, so a part of my mind kept thinking of, say, Adrian Tchaikovsky, and I wondered. I wondered hard.

After getting my hands on this book and having started it, I began comparing it to Becky Chambers w
James Tivendale
Sep 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, freecopy
I received a limited edition proof copy of To Sleep in a Sea of Stars in exchange for an honest review. Thank you to Christopher Paolini and Tor Books.

In To Sleep in a Sea of Stars, we follow the third-person perspective of Kira who is a xenobiologist. We join her towards the end of an assignment on the Earth-sized moon of Adrasteia. On the final excursion to the moon, Kira uncovers a mysterious relic. What was hidden there was placed away for a good reason and Kira's discovery of it will have d
Nenia ✨️ Socially Awkward Trash Panda ✨️ Campbell
I was wondering what the Eragon dude has been up to. I guess in between rolling around on piles of money, he found time to write a new book.

I like sci-fi, soooo
Cece (ProblemsOfaBookNerd)
Excuse me, a new book by Christopher Paolini? High school Cece is thriving.
Sherwood Smith
Plenty of ink has been spilled about Christopher Paolini's dreadful/wonderful fantasy series (depending on who you talk to). When I was a teacher, I read everything my junior high and high school students read. The younger ones in particular loved Eragon--to them the clunky prose, cliche characters, and undigested swathes of various popular movies plus Bruce Coville's work were invisible. Though I couldn't make it through the first book, I knew that if I'd encountered it as a kid, I too would ha ...more
Charlotte May
Feb 19, 2020 marked it as to-read
New book from Christopher Paolini?!

Hell yes I’m down with that!
Montzalee Wittmann
Sep 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
by Christopher Paolini
Narrated by Jennifer Hale
Macmillan Audio
I requested this audible book from NetGalley and was unable to download despite trying everything I know to get it to work. The NetGalley app has a rating of 2 for a reason! I notified the Macmillan team, which were awesome, and they sent me the first 19 chapters and the last few chapters of the book in audible format. A large sample book!
I really feel in love with this book! I love sci-fi, aliens, main char
Monte Price
Sep 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Y'all...

I'm going to be very honest here, I didn't really think I was going to like this book as much as I did. I had vague memories of Eragon from my youth, a series that I never finished and it wouldn't have been the first time this year that I'd been burned by Tor, a book as long as this one. That said within the opening chapters I was immediately hooked, invested in the book and our main character in a way that hasn't happened nearly as often this year as I would have liked.

There was also a
Dylan
Aug 09, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, dnf, ebook, sci-fi
Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller
A decent sci-fi. I didn’t hate it. But I do have some thoughts.

Paolini has definitely blossomed as a writer. He always had the storytelling basics, but time and experience has done his craft well. I particularly liked his character construction. So many different personalities and a great dynamic between all of them. I’d be hard-presses to pick a favorite, and I love that.

I wouldn’t say the book was particularly original – I feel like I’ve read many different versions of at least the first 25%.
NAT.orious reads ☾
Nov 20, 2019 marked it as to-read
This better not be like what I've had to go through with his other series or I'll have a talk with little Christopher.

Ohhh update y'all: we have a cover!
Tucker  (TuckerTheReader)

Many thanks to Macmillan Audio for the free audiobook in exchange for an honest review

Kind of a DNF at I forgot where percent.

This started out well enough. It was very intriguing and mildly spooky but it got tiresome the further I got into it.

I had been going strong with the book... I read a solid 8 hours of the audiobook but that was over the weekend and when I paused, I completely lost motivation. I tried to restart it multiple times but I just couldn't get hooked.

I skipped to the end and wa
Bethany
Aug 19, 2020 rated it liked it
To Sleep in a Sea of Stars is Christopher Paolini's first novel for adults and first sci-fi novel and....it's a bit of a mixed bag. Clocking in at nearly 900 pages this book is a tome, and it really didn't need to be. Part 1 of the book is fantastic. It's tightly plotted with big twists that kept me riveted, clearly very well edited with the feeling of a sci-fi thriller. After that, things begin to meander a lot more with bloated writing and uneven pacing that detracts from the very interesting ...more
Trish
Sep 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Holy Casaba Howitzer!
I’ve always loved science fiction but there are definitely better and less groundbreaking books / movies. This, I’m happy to have found out, is definitely groundbreaking.

I remember reading the fantasy series this author is known for and not being half as infatuated with it as the people around me. As it turns out, this might be due to the fact that Paolini’s strength is not fantasy but sci-fi.

Welcome to a universe in which humans have spread through the galaxy. We are living
Claudia
Sep 27, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
DNF at 30% - my biggest dissapointment of the year. Maybe the tons of cliches wouldn't have bothered me had it been well written, but it's not. The characters' behaviours are not credible, the dialogues are the same - the author is trying too hard to make them cool and utterly fails.

Every gesture, every action, every emotion is explained - he leaves no room for you to raise a question and it has a single narative thread in a story over 900 pages.

From the beginning I guessed it will be a light an
Sheena
Aug 26, 2020 rated it it was ok
As a child, I read the Eragon series so I decided to check out Christopher Paolini's new book. I like that he went from a dragon fantasy series to a space alien novel. It shows creativity to jump genres like that but I think I would’ve preferred a book about anything else instead. I’m not the biggest fan of sci-fi to begin with, aliens and tentacles don't do it for me at all. Alien wars, body possessions, mutations and all that bore me to death. I’m definitely not the target audience for this bo ...more
Valliya Rennell
Oct 15, 2020 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Bobiverse and (movie) District 9

Christopher Paolini is one of the people who turned me into a writer, and the sole man who got me into the world of high epic fantasy. For this I will be ever grateful to him. Although looking back on Eragon, I now see that it had a lot of faults, I still think it one of the most influential novels for me. Needless to say, I was hyped for To Sleep in A Sea of Stars. This book is very very different from Paolini's previous works, so if you're coming in and expecting something similar, th
Isabelle
May 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
To Sleep in a Sea of Stars // by Christopher Paolini // narrated by Jennifer Hale

I have a lot of thoughts about this book and I have been dreading writing this review because I was worried I would not be able to put my thoughts into words as eloquently as I have seen so many other reviewers do over the last view weeks. But tomorrow is pub day (SO EXCITING) so it is time to get this done!

I LOVE THIS BOOK.

Ok. Now that I’ve gotten that out, I can go into the actual details of why. I don’t think the
Amy Imogene Reads
AHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I won a partial galley and died and now it’s up to my ghost to read this and love it thanks bye

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Thank you to TOR!!
Mogsy (MMOGC)
3.5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2020/09/21/...

Best known for his YA fantasy Eragon, Christopher Paolini has taken a massive leap with To Sleep in A Sea of Stars, venturing into the world of adult sci-fi, and I won’t lie, I was a bit skeptical when I first heard about the book. I believe this would be his first full-length novel in almost ten years following the end of The Inheritance Cycle, and I do emphasize full-length because this sucker is nearly 900 pages long
Breny
Jun 13, 2020 rated it liked it
I want to cry because this book is so good but...ughhhh.
The descriptions, emotions, and characters are everything. EVERYTHING.

I'm speechless at the amount of detail poured in this book.

Something that's hard for me with books set in another world, is the difficulty to understand completely the way ships function etc. This book describes everything so ''floraly'' it is spectacular.
I wanted to join this expedition so bad 😭 JVSLFBVWERIB

But...well.. it is not clean. At all.

I didn't realize it w
♥♫☻Olivia☻♫♥
Sep 22, 2020 rated it did not like it
Firefly + Venom + Speaker for the Dead + Indiana Jones + Hero of Ages = the worst book I ever read??

I wouldn't have thought that was possible but Paolini proved me wrong.

P.S. this book is fantasy not scifi

• Ninth House (Alex Stern #1)
  • Aurora Rising (The Aurora Cycle, #1)
  • In Five Years
  • Postmortem (Kay Scarpetta, #1)
  • American Psycho
  • A Cold Trail (Tracy Crosswhite, #7)
  • Tweet Cute
  • Book Love
  • Memories of Ice (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #3)
  • Predator's Gold (Mortal Engines Quartet #2)
  • House of Chains (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #4)
  • The Accidental Beauty Queen
  • Crown of Feathers (Crown of Feathers, #1)
  • The Gift
  • Illuminae (The Illuminae Files, #1)
  • Long Gone: A Detective Paul Cullen Mystery (DCI Paul Cullen Mysteries Book 1)
  • The Original
  • Sex Object: A Memoir
Christopher Paolini was born in Southern California and has lived most of his life in Paradise Valley, Montana. He published his first novel, Eragon, in 2003 at the age of nineteen, and quickly became a publishing phenomenon. His Inheritance Cycle—Eragon and its three sequels—have sold nearly 40 million copies worldwide. To Sleep in a Sea of Stars is his first adult novel.

Visit Paolini.net for

Articles featuring this book

“The hardest lesson in life is learning to accept that there are some things we can't change." Falcone paused, his eyes hard and glittering.
[...]
Then he unbuttoned the cuffs on his shirt and rolled back his sleeves to expose the melted surface of his forearms. He held them up for Kira to see.
"Why do you think I keep these scars?"
"Because you feel guilty over ..."
"No," Falcone said harshly.
Then, in a gentler tone, "No. I keep them to remind me of what I can survive. Of what I have survived. If I'm having a rough time, I look at my arms and then I know I'll get through whatever problem I'm dealing with. Life's not gonna break me. It can't break me. It might kill me, but nothing it throws at me is gonna make me give up.”
4 likes
“What, you think all jarheads are stupid?” Sparrow chuckled before going serious again. “All good soldiers are philosophers, same as a priest or a professor. You have to be when you deal with matters of life and death.” 2 likes