Start by marking “The Night Swim” as Want to Read:
The Night Swim

The Night Swim

4.10  ·  Rating details ·  39,707 ratings  ·  6,332 reviews

In this new thriller from the author of The Escape Room, a podcast host covering a controversial trial in a small town becomes obsessed with a brutal crime that took place there years before.

After the first season of her true crime podcast became an overnight sensation and set an innocent man free, Rachel Krall is now a household name—and the last hope for thousands of

Published August 4th 2020 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about The Night Swim, please sign up.
Jen I wonder if it's meant to be symbolic? Just like the bird, the girls in this book were expected to act/behave in a certain way and were "caged in" by …moreI wonder if it's meant to be symbolic? Just like the bird, the girls in this book were expected to act/behave in a certain way and were "caged in" by societal expectations and norms, not allowed to speak up or be their true selves and unable to defend themselves. So Rachel rescuing the bird is symbolic for helping the girls break out of this symbolic cage, which in a way the conviction of the rapist and the uncovering of the truth about Jenny kickstarted. (less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Aala I think it was merely the fact that the boys (except Bobby) came from affluent and prominent families in the community. Jenny knew that if she were to…moreI think it was merely the fact that the boys (except Bobby) came from affluent and prominent families in the community. Jenny knew that if she were to divulge what they had done to her to her mother (or someone else), it would just be her word against theres - and the boys would prevail. This is evident in the reporting following her death; the car crash is covered extensively in the newspaper, whilst her death is not. Plus, the coverup as well.

I do find it interesting how her reputation as a "slut" and "whore" came about. Several characters make reference to her in that way, and I find it difficult to understand how such a reputation could exist. Perhaps it was spread by the boys, or their parents, to coverup what they had done to her.(less)

·  39,707 ratings  ·  6,332 reviews

Start your review of The Night Swim
Nilufer Ozmekik
Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! Agghhjjkd ! Oh sorry I just blabbered meaningless letters because I’m shaken to the core, carrying my stupid face looked like suffering from 30 botox syringe injections. If I was a real celebrity, they can carry me to the Wax Museum and position me next to Queen Elizabeth. I looked like a statue with no facial expression (My face looks like Nicole Kidman right now! And I always told no to esthetic surgeries! Now I'm reminding you daughter of a cyborg. Dammit!)

Of course I’m giving five gazil
Meredith ( on Semi-Hiatus until February)
RAW AND REAL

The Night Swim is an emotional and unsettling psychological thriller about a rape trial in a small town.

On her way to Neapolis, North Carolina; podcast host Rachel Krall, finds a note on the dashboard of her car pleading for help. The writer of the note, Hannah, believes her sister was murdered 25 years ago and needs Rachel’s help to identify the murderer(s). Rachel is wary of helping Hannah, but soon gets pulled in to her story as she leaves more and more letters for Rachel to read
Chelsea Humphrey
Once again I'm finding myself frustrated at the way that any book with a lick of mystery is automatically dubbed a nail-biting thriller. If this book had been marketed as general crime fiction, or a character driven mystery, then I would have saved it for the appropriate mood, but alas, I picked this up expecting a fast paced, twisty read, much like The Escape Room.

The Night Swim is an important read, one that delves into the heavy topic of rape culture and what that means for our generation ve
Deanna
My reviews can also be seen at: https://deesradreadsandreviews.wordpr...

One of my favorite books this year!

A moving and powerful story!!

Rachel Krall is a former newspaper reporter whose true-crime podcast GUILTY OR NOT GUILTY turned into an overnight sensation.

“I’m Rachel Krall and this is Guilty or Not Guilty, the podcast that puts you in the jury box.”

Rachel has just arrived in Neapolis where she will be attending a trial that is the subject of the third season of Guilty or Not Guilty. The
MarilynW
Jan 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Two girls, twenty five years apart. Raped and beaten by a group of guys or one guy, their reputations, spirits, lives destroyed by being blamed for what was done to them. The first girl ended up dead, unable to defend herself in public, from the rumors. The second girl speaks out about what was done to her and her torment continues, as public blame turns towards her.

Rachel Krall's popular podcast "Guilty or Not Guilty" is beginning it's third year by featuring the trial of a college swimmer who
Debra
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweiss
4.5 Stars

Rachel Krall is known for her voice. She has a true crime podcast with a wide following. People know her voice- not her face, so when she finds a note under her windshield wiper, she is a little unsettled. The note is asking Rachel to investigate a listener's older sister's death twenty-five years earlier. Not an easy feat, as Rachel is in the small town of Neapolis , to cover a rape trial. A local swimmer bound for Olympic greatness has been accused of raping a local high school studen
Mary Beth
Sep 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rachel Krall is the host of a true crime podcast.

"I'm Rachel Krall and this is Guilty or not guilty, the podcast that puts you in the jury box."

Hannah is stalking Rachel. She is leaving her notes wherever she goes. There are two different cases. One is an unsolved murder that happened 25 years ago and then the second case is set in the present, two different timelines.

There is a big rape trial going on in Rachel's home town in Neopolis. The accused is Scott Blair known as the golden boy. who i
megs_bookrack
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: True Crime Podcast fans
Shelves: arcs-read
Megan Goldin has done it again with The Night Swim!!!

Rachel Krall is the creator, and host, of a hugely successful True Crime podcast.

During the first season of her show, evidence Rachel procured was actually able to help free an innocent man, making her a household name.

With Rachel's new reputation as a tireless truth seeker, many people reach out to her with cases they want her to investigate.

A lot of these people feel they have no other options when searching for justice for a friend, or lov
Tina
Second time Reading July 2020 Review (4 Stars)
I have to say I enjoyed it a little more the second time around, and I had forgotten some of the twist. I still think the first part moved slowly, but the ending makes it worth the slow moving of the beginning. I know part of the ending because I remember it for the first time reading, but it was still really good. I really enjoyed it. I think this is a solid thriller. This book will be coming out next month.

First Review Read March 2020 (4 stars)

I f
Kim ~ It’s All About the Thrill
Hands down one of the best books I have read this year. I am floored, rendered speechless. I totally underestimated just how much I would love this book. Yes, it was that good.

The past and present collide in this small town when the town hero is accused of raping a 16 year old girl. Olympic swimmer hopeful Scott Blair is the all American boy. Kelly Moore has family connections that run deep in the town. Who to believe? There were two of them on the beach that night, only those two know the truth
preoccupiedbybooks
Jul 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Published today! 🎉 (August 4th 2020)

A hard hitting, intense and emotional mystery/courtroom thriller, which left me angry, frustrated, shaken and tearful.

**Strong trigger warning for survivors of sexual abuse, you may find this book upsetting**

A accidental drowning of a teenaged girl,
A controversial rape trial featuring a popular swimming star,
Two cases, separated by 25 years,
How are they connected?

"This is Rachel Krall on Guilty or Not Guilty, the podcast that puts you in the jury box."

This was
Dorie  - Cats&Books :)
***NOW AVAILABLE***

This book was very different from her debut novel, “The Escape Room” and for me that was a good thing. I was hoping that the author would surprise me with this one and she did just that.

Rachel Krall has become known for her two previous podcasts, she has thousands of followers. In the first two seasons she had worked on cold cases and was hugely successful in bringing new evidence to light which changed the previous convictions.

This time she is going to cover a live trial and
Kaceey
Aug 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book took me completely by surprise. Not what I expected at all…so much more than a thriller.

Rachel Krall has her own highly successful crime-oriented podcast. Recently she’s highlighted several past murder trials. Even getting one conviction overturned.

Now Rachel has switched direction, focusing on a different crime and accompanying trial to highlight in her latest podcast. The crime of rape. In a small coastal town a trial is about to proceed. The defendant, a teenage boy with dreams of
Gabby
This was not an easy read. This book was so good, but it was definitely difficult to stomach at times. This book deals heavily with a rape trial and the harsh and unfair way society treats rape victims and how toxic rape culture is. In this story we follow this girl Rachel who runs this super successful true crime podcast, and on this season of her podcast she decides to cover an active rape trail that's happening in a small town. This young dude who was going to be a competitive swimmer in the ...more
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
4.5 Stars

Omg!!! Shoot all the bastards!!!

That being said, I thought the author did a great job with this book. Although, I am trading it in as I don’t want to read it again 😕

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾

BLOG: https://melissa413readsalot.blogspot....
Jayme
Jan 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
“This is Rachel Krall on Guilty or Not Guilty, the podcast that puts YOU in the jury box.”

Known for her sultry voice, but not her face, Rachel is troubled when she finds a handwritten letter on her windshield, outside a diner at a remote stop, as she is on her way to Neapolis, the town of her season three podcast.

The letter is written intimately, and is asking for help in solving the case of a sixteen year old girl named Jenny Stills, who died in Neapolis decades earlier, and is signed by her s
Holly  B
This was not an easy read as it deals with rape, reputations, and influence. There are two mysteries to follow that are twenty five years apart and come together through the producer of a crime podcast, Rachel Krall.

Rachel's current crime podcast involves a small town and the rape of a high school student. While covering this trial, Rachel starts receiving mysterious letters from a sister seeking justice. These two mysteries will begin to evolve, connect, and shock.

The courtroom scenes were my f
ScrappyMags
Jaw. On. The. Floor. 😲

Shortest Summary Ever: Rachel Krall is a podcast sensation covering a rape trial in a coastal NC town - the kind of trial that has the town fervently taking sides. As if that weren’t enough, Rachel finds a note on her windshield asking her to look into a decades-old murder. There are more and more notes. Someone is following her. Caught up in the trial, Rachel can’t help but be pulled to the murder. Could they be connected? What is happening in this sleepy little town and w
jessica
Jul 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
the best thing about this book is its relevance. it combines the current intrigue of popular true crime podcasts like serial and recent emotionally difficult court cases like people vs. turner. i have a feeling this story is going resonate with many readers because of that.

i will admit i found the second half of the book (when the trial begins) to be more interesting, but thats just a personal preference. which lead me to find hannahs chapters very boring, because they deal with a cold case that
Susanne  Strong
A Heart Stopping Thriller that Kept me Glued to My Seat!

When you hear the name Rachel Krall, it’s instantly recognizable. She is known for her Podcast “Guilty or Not Guilty” which is now in it’s 3rd Season and which will be its most controversial yet - focusing on the topic of sexual assault in the small town of Neapolis.
Rachel is going to cover a rape trial as it unfolds. It’s he said, she said and it’s going to be a doozy.

To make matters even more dicey, while in town, Rachel begins receiv
Brenda - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews
Ok Well, I just scrolled down and took a look at all the 4 and 5-star reviews and I find myself again in the minority with my thoughts on this one.

Just when I thought I was getting my groove back with thrillers along comes this one, and I again think that thrillers just might not be my thing right now. Especially with thrillers that take on some series themes and with everything going on right now, I am finding some dark realities are not as exciting as they used to be for me. I find myself que
Jen
Oct 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book far surpassed my expectations. I will say that it is not a book for anyone who may be upset by reading about rape and it's very personal affects on women. It's not that the description is gratuitous in any way, it is meaningful and really just so refreshingly honest.

This is the second book that I've read lately that turns a "thriller" sideways. What scares you? Well reality should and this book shows the truth people deal with in towns after not only a brutalizing event but then the af
✨ A ✨
“To tell you the truth, I don't get how we can almost unanimously agree that murder is wrong, yet when it comes to rape some people still see shades of gray.”

Megan Goldin wrote the heck out of The Night Swim! When I began, I had my doubts, as it tackles a topic I find hard to read about. However, once I started listening I could not stop!

I have never listened to podcasts before but now I see why people love them so much. It was really interesting listening to the episodes of the podcast whic
Lisa
Feb 08, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: net-galley
My thanks to St. Martin's Press, and Netgalley.
I don't know what I'm Earth possesses me to request things like this.
Maybe, the reviews of my Goodreads friend's? Maybe the popularity of the author? I haven't a clue.
So really, take this piffling review with a grain of salt.
I didn't like it. Obviously. That's all I'm going to say. I never should have even tried to read this. I'll give it 3 stars, because many liked it.
Just know that some stories should come with trigger warnings. This is one of th
Suzy
Aug 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Between getting a new puppy, starting piano lessons and not having NEARLY as much time as I would love to have on Goodreads (I’m really missing everybody), I almost forgot to post my review for this fantastic book!

I really enjoyed reading The Night Swim. This was my first Megan Goldin book, but now I really, really want to go and read The Escape Room as soon as I can.

Rachel Krall has become very well known (by her voice only - not appearance) since launching her true crime pod
Blaine
That’s the thing about mistakes. Not all of them can be fixed.

Thanks to NetGalley and St. Martin’s Press for sending me an ARC of The Night Swim in exchange for an honest review.

I greatly enjoyed last year’s The Escape Room. It was an unserious romp of a thriller, predictable but entertaining. When I read the plot of The Night Swim—essentially Sarah Koenig from the Serial podcast covering the Brock Turner rape trial, but with the added twist of also investigating a maybe murder from 25 years ag
Val ⚓️ Shameless Non-Snowflake ⚓️
4.5 Stars

This was a riveting read that had me engrossed from page one.

I really liked Goldin's writing. Also, her characters were great.

My favorite part, though? The setting. I love books about small, seaside towns and this book was that and more. It was haunting and atmospheric...and I know I will be thinking about Jenny for a long time to come.

I will definitely read more from this author.
Frank Phillips
Aug 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
FANTASTIC!! My August BOTM pick, and they nailed it! Most likely my favorite book of 2020! Goldin is a phenomenal writer and I couldn't imagine that I would like her second novel even more than her debut, which I loved, yet I think this one was even better!! I was hesitant to read another podcast or legal court case storyline, but this one was written so exquisitely that I was almost instantly hooked. There were two eerily similar mysteries in this novel; one 20 years past, one present. I enjoye ...more
Oscar
Aug 11, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020, 2020-releases
"A shiver ran through me. I knew that she was broken. I could hear it in her voice."

Defending Jacob meets Good Girl's Guide to Murder in Megan Goldin's latest novel, The Night Swim. The plot was a whirlwind of podcast, backstories and a battle of he said, she said. First and foremost I want to give it to Goldin for creating a story so powerful and needed. Her take of rape culture and victim blaming felt raw and hurtful. There were those parts that moved me with rage, disappointment and shame
The WITTY Book Cl...: *** #35: The Night Swim by by Megan Goldin *** 18 20 Nov 10, 2020 01:34AM
Book of The Month: *Spoiler Discussion* The Night Swim 9 118 Sep 06, 2020 07:19PM

• If You Tell
  • One Of Us Is Lying
  • Strike Me Down
  • Bitter Falls (Stillhouse Lake #4)
  • Disappearing Earth
  • A Reasonable Doubt (Robin Lockwood #3)
  • Some Days Are Dark
  • The Last Sister (Columbia River, #1)
  • Building a Life Worth Living: A Memoir
  • The Moonshiner's Daughter
  • Do You Mind If I Cancel? (Things That Still Annoy Me)
  • The Psychopath Test: A Journey Through the Madness Industry
  • Strangers
  • The Boy from the Woods
  • Winner Lose All
  • Come On Steal The Noise (A Kilchester Short Book 1)
  • In the Dark
  • All the Best Lies (Ellery Hathaway, #3)
Megan Goldin is the bestselling author of "The Escape Room", praised by Lee Child as "one of my favorite books of the year", as well as "The Girl In Kellers Way", a critically-acclaimed domestic noir thriller nominated for Australia's leading crime fiction awards.
Megan worked as a journalist for Reuters, the Australian ABC and Yahoo! News before writing her debut psychological thriller The Girl In