Start by marking “Emberhawk” as Want to Read:
Emberhawk

Emberhawk

The elementals have decided they're gods, and humans are nothing but fuel for their fire.

A starving trapper.

Merciless drought withers Kira's ranch, leaving her family hungry—and desperate enough to cross the border into the forbidden forest to trap wild game.

But the forest is infested with tree-scorpions and giant cats that wield elemental invisibility, and they're hungry,
Published March 10th 2020 by Fayette Press

To ask other readers questions about Emberhawk, please sign up.
Jamie Foley Yes, Emberhawk can be read as a standalone. There is no cliffhanger, but there are a few unresolved issues to be addressed in books 2 and 3 of the ser…moreYes, Emberhawk can be read as a standalone. There is no cliffhanger, but there are a few unresolved issues to be addressed in books 2 and 3 of the series. Enjoy! :)(less)
Jamie Foley Emberhawk is book 1 of the Katrosi Revolution series, which is a trilogy (book 2 is called Silverblood and book 3 is Lotusfall).

But you can read Embe…more

But you can read Emberhawk as a standalone if you like; it does not end with a cliffhanger. :)(less)

Start your review of Emberhawk
Sheila Goicea
I'm excited to be a part of the EMBERHAWK blog tour with MTMC Tours from March 16th - 25th, 2020!

I received an ARC of this book from the author, Jamie Foley and MTMC Tours in exchange for an honest review. Thank you! In no way does this affect my rating or review.

description

All included quotes have been taken from an ARC and may not match the finished publication.

Content Warning: Injury, Starvation, Torture, Prejudice, Death, War
If the majority of humans worshipped elementals as gods, and this was the
Lindsay Franklin
Mar 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Emberhawk's danger grips, the humor lands, and the romance smolders. Jamie Foley examines the beauties and hardships of pluralistic societies, and themes of faith, duty, and cultural expectations are skillfully woven into the narrative. Whether you're looking for an entertaining YA fantasy romp or something a little deeper, Emberhawk delivers. ...more
Jenna
Mar 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is such a cool book! I love the unique world; it was so vivid. All the character were so real and deep, and I loved all of their interactions with each other. I'll definitely be looking out for the next books in this series. <3 ...more
Brinley
Aug 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book, and its beautiful cover. Its plot was fairly complex, but it never became confusing or convoluted. I felt like the story followed a steady pace throughout, with no segments that dragged. I really liked the characters, and I'm excited to learn more about them in the next book.

Ryon was and is an interesting character I'm hoping to learn more about his heritage and what it means for him in the next book. I loved his relationship with Kira, it felt natural, and progresse
Laura Grace
Mar 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
VIDEO REVIEW HERE: https://youtu.be/-wPmsSekfjI

This book. FLAILS!! (And I'm literally doing that while grinning so wide my face hurts. And then breaking out into a fit of giggles. Hehe!)

So yes, MUCH love for this story that has a wonderful heroine who can stand on her own two feet, a hero who is snarky enough to make you smirk but then make you melt at said snark, and a storyworld that is incredible.

Let me sum it up like this…

THERE ARE SO MANY THINGS I LIKE ABOUT THIS STORY!!!

*happy sigh*

Ember
Claire Banschbach
Mar 07, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, romance
Overall a really fun world built with elemental magic and snarky characters. It was a fun use of elemental powers that I really hadn't seen done before. And it really reminded me of Avatar: TLA in terms of some cultures, powers, and creatures, and I was so here for that!

Ryon was probably my favorite character. But fire/light bender with an attitude and a snarky elemental fox friend. What do you want me to do here? lol! I do wish that we'd gotten to see more of Princess Vylia - I felt like her p
Abigayle Claire
Dec 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If the cover isn't enough for you to try this book, I'm not sure my review can cure you of that defect. Adoring this book is an understatememt for me. The plot was super compelling (and surprised me more than once). Plus, the characters and world were as stunning as ever ... as in, a m a z i n g. I honestly don't know how one author can master so many elements of story and deliver such a fun book in a genre I don't normally read.

Highly recommend for 15+ for some romance, peril, injuries, and mil
Sylvs (NOVELty Reads)
Nov 15, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
ARC kindly provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review

Emberhawk. What a ride!

With its epic fantasy setting and enticing writing, I couldn't help but enjoy myself whilst reading this book. I enjoyed the three perspective story telling and the banter between Ryon and Kira, I thought they were well rounded and strong characters written with good dialogue and interpersonal relations.

With those points being what I enjoyed about the book, there were a few things that I d
Deborah O'Carroll
Emberhawk is an absolutely delicious book, with swashbuckling adventure, a richly detailed world, and snarky characters I had a total blast reading about! I loved it so much!

I’m a huge fan of Jamie Foley’s Sentinel Trilogy, so I was thrilled to get to dive into the first book in a new series set in the same world! Emberhawk takes place over a thousand years before Sentinel and has a different feel but is an equally fabulous read. Sentinel fans, you’re going to love this book—and if you’re new to
Tressa (Wishful Endings)
3.5 Stars

EMBERHAWK is a fantasy set in a colorful and dangerous world where not everyone is as they seem and where one girl gets unknowingly caught in the middle of an oncoming war. Recommended to YA fantasy fans.

These characters were each unique. There were two main storylines: Kira and Ryon, and then Vylia, with three points-of-view. Kira is fairly impetuous. She doesn't always think before she acts and it gets her into trouble. She also doesn't necessarily trust anyone and makes her own concl
Jinghay (these.blank.pages)
That was absolutely amazing!

When I first started this book, I had no idea what to expect- and in a few short chapters these characters absolutely blew me away!

The vivid descriptions, the stunning characters and not to mention the world itself?! I couldn't read fast enough, I was so invested.

Kira and Ryon were both such fun characters to follow, (and I LIVED for their witty interactions)!
I'm so excited to (hopefully) see more romance between them in the rest of the series.

The idea of elemental po
Elena
Jun 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really, really liked this book. At the beginning I was nervous that it was going to be too cliche, and that I'd get bored, but boy was I wrong! it wasn't the most original thing on the planet, but it was something new, and I shipped the love interests so much. The point of view switching was done artfully, and I ended up quite fond of all the characters (yes, I cried at one certain point).

The characters were genuine and sweet and not too dramatic - a pretty common trait that I am not a fan of.
Mackenzie
Plot: 9/10
Setting: 10/10
Characters: 10/10
Overall: 10/10

Ages 12+ no language. Some violence, but not super graphic. Some intense and scary moments. One or two kisses (not described). Some spiritual battles, and mentions of The elemental "gods" though it is very clearly a Christian book overall. Aeo represents God. Very, very clean.

I literally CANNOT put this masterpiece into words. So I won't. Aeo Leywa Ai Shea!
Abigail
I need book 2 now! This book was so good, oh my word! I really need to read more fantasy books, I love this genre so much and this book was so good and so unique. I was uncertain where Ms. Foley was taking this book in the beginning, but once I got into it, I could not stop reading. The characters were too die for and I loved them so much! Ryon was a cinnamon roll. I loved watching Kira's character development and she was a pretty amazing character herself.

I do not know how Ms. Foley wrote some
Darce

Rating: 4.5 out of 5.
4.5 REALLY ENTERTAINING STARS!!

I actually really, really liked this book. I found the world-building interesting, the characters enjoyable to read about and the romance utterly swoonworthy. I don’t think there was a single aspect of this story that I didn’t love! Also that cover? GORGEOUS.

Emberhawk may not have been especially original, and the plot line may have been quite easy to follow
Rayleigh
Jan 01, 2021 rated it it was amazing
“You look like you died and just haven’t realized it yet.”

Ryon turned his smile into a lopsided smolder.

“Well then, I’m one good-lookin ghost.”

Emberhawk was a thrilling adventure into a monster-infested forest with one charming foreigner.

There is a lot happening in this book. It begins in a way that almost seems like normal life for Kira and her family but quickly escalates into a race to uncover sinister plans and save lives.

I really enjoyed the plot and found myself surprised around every corn
Tricia Mingerink
I enjoyed this book, and I was glad it was on audiobook so that I could move it up my TBR. This is a really cool mix of fantasy plus a western/American southwest feel to it. Not to mention elemental magic and false goddesses and a whole bunch of tribes and kingdoms and territories all about to go to war with each other. It was a little slower than I expected, and it did take me a while to get into it. But, once it ramped up, the ending was an action-packed rush!
Helena George
Feb 13, 2020 added it
Shelves: 2020
So this was soooooo cool and unique!! I have never read anything by this author before, and I was very pleased with Emberhawk.

The characters were well written, and the POV characters very likable. I particularly thought Lysander had a neat arc (or maybe I just like saying his name, haha). But the storyworld, now...that was really cool! I love how fantasy is reaching out and encompassing other "feels" instead of the "medieval world feel" if you know what I mean (though I do love a good ol' mediev
Kailey
Apr 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
The cover of this book was one of the first things that made me want to read this book. The description was pretty interesting. I really liked that the author included maps and a glossary of the ancient terms for this story. I really liked Kira and Ryon and how they bantered throughout the story. I'm curious about their future together. I'm also curious as to the fate of the princess. I found the idea of people controlling elements pretty cool. I'm pretty interested in seeing where this series g ...more
Mimi
Mar 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
While I may not be part of the YA set, I certainly enjoyed this story. If you're ready for adventure, it doesn't take long to be swept up into it with this book.

First, I liked the dynamics of Kira and her family. They didn't seem forced, really like a normal family. We meet them all, for the most part, at the beginning of the story. It literally starts off with high energy and goes that way throughout the entire story!

Next we meet Ryon who is actually up to no good. He's caught nabbing a chicken
Bobby (getlostinabook)
I received a free copy of this book for review. I do not have to leave a positive review.
The world was really cool! It was so unique and it was described in a cool way. The world building was very complex. It was a little too complex for my taste, but I also tend to not read very complex fantasy. The characters in this book were great! I loved the way that they interacted with each other. It felt very lifelike.
This cover is absolutely stunning! I think it is one of the best covers that I have
Andi
Mar 25, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-kindle
The book and the summary seemed really interesting, but upon finishing it ended up being a let-down for me.

The author has a lot of interesting ideas. A lot of them that are unfortunately not very... well formed and or grounded.

- The plot is very confusing. You don't get a good grasp of the layout of how the world and its magic system work with one another. The only way you pick up on it is if the character decides to mention it while they're talking about it and if it is important to the plot..
Alia Faith
Mar 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Emberhawk immerses readers in a vivid world full of intrigue and wonder from the very beginning—aka, the absolutely beautiful cover. The intricate yet seamlessly woven storyworld inspired grins and gasps of both delight and horror as I eagerly turned each page.

Instead of dumping Ryon’s tangled past into the reader’s lap all at once, the author slowly revealed it bit by bit and I eagerly awaited each new clue that would help me unravel his past. Ryon and Kira’s often volatile relationship, from t
Lori
Mar 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
I can't say how much I enjoyed this book except that I didn't put it down until 3 in the morning.
A great adventure into the unknown. Sort of like Frozen 2.
With awesome characters and a fearsome plot I was immediately drawn into this story.
With faith, culture and various other things that are going on in this beautiful and magical world you won't want to say goodbye to these amazing characters.
The way this author writes ya'll is just amazing! I love how she describes the most beautiful sceneri
Rose (Adventurous Bookworm)
I really enjoyed this fantasy novel. It had all the makings of a great series.
The characters were my favorite part of this story. Along the way, they learn a lot about themselves and each other. They are able to work past the old prejudices of their people and see for the first time.
I really liked the worldbuilding. It was a complex world and that was explained throughout the book. There were no 'textbook' history parts. Everything was shown, not explained.
I can't wait for book two, Silver Blood
Sarah Cnossen
Apr 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
{The Basics}
This was the first novel I've read from the author, Jamie Foley (though her Sentinel series has been on my wishlist forever!). I thoroughly enjoyed the fantastic adventure in these pages. The story was so original & engaging, the characters lovable & fun, and the world building absolutely amazing! I enjoyed the feel of Asian culture mixed with Native American vibes.

I also ADORE loving sibling relationships and the fun banter that comes with them. Kira and her brothers were so fun to
Cierra
Oct 14, 2020 rated it it was ok
Full review in its optimum format can be found on my blog, Cierra’s Cynosure, here.

Notice: I received an e-copy of this book from BookSirens in exchange for an honest review.

When I was perusing Book Sirens back in August for a new read, I stumbled upon Emberhawk and was instantly intrigued. This book has every single one of my favorite tropes: adventure! Humans and animal connections! Legends! An antagonist that’s really ambiguous!

So naturally, I requested to give it a read. Unfortunately, I hav
Katerina
Mar 20, 2020 rated it liked it
3/5
Bookstagram
**Thank you to the author and Fayette Publishing for sending me an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This was a hard one for me to rate. I even had to sit for a few days and stew on it. I mean there were many parts that I absolutely loved about this book...and there were many parts that I absolutely hated. There was no middle ground for me...no grey area. There was just black and white. Which is very unusual for me. So it makes it difficult to write this review! UG
Candy Smith
May 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
I was first drawn in by the cover of this book then the synopsis grabbed my attention so when I was offered a chance to read this book I jumped at it! I wasn't sure what I was getting into as this my first book by the author but I didn't expect what I dived into! A complex world building with a variety of cultural and religious diversity. At first I had a time trying to figure out the different beliefs and who was enemy to who. Kira's family lives on the borderlands between the Empire and the Tr ...more
Vya
Mar 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
A fresh, diverse world. A heroine resourceful enough to be strong, even without any supernatural power. An intriguing hero with a golden heart. Emberhawk is not your typical fantasy story and so worth to read! I was captivated from page one, and the story didn't let me go again until the last page.

There are three main characters in this book, although Vylia, the Malaano princess, doesn't get a big portion in this first installment. The story is more focused on Kira and Ryon, whose paths crossed
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Cry of the Raven (The Ravenwood Saga, #3)
  • The Story Hunter (The Weaver Trilogy, #3)
  • Midnight for a Curse
  • The Healer's Rune
  • Northanger Abbey
  • Misadventures with a Time Traveler
  • Moonscript
  • Between Cases (The City Between, #7)
  • Dust (Heirs of Neverland, #1)
  • Esme's Wish (Esme Series #1)
  • Lost in Averell (Princess by Night, #1)
  • The Story Raider (The Weaver Trilogy, #2)
  • Finale (Caraval, #3)
  • Between Walls (The City Between #6)
  • Heartless
  • Brand of Light (The Droseran Saga #1)
  • Persuasion
  • Mansfield Park
Jamie loves strategy games, home-grown berries, and Texas winters. She's terrified of plot holes and red wasps.

Her husband is her manly cowboy astronaut muse. They live between Austin and the cattle ranch, where their hyperactive spawnling and wolfpack can run free.

News & Interviews

Jenny Lawson is the funniest person you know. And if you don’t know her, just read one of her books and she becomes the funniest person you...