Start by marking “Emberhawk” as Want to Read:
Emberhawk

Emberhawk

The elementals have decided they're gods, and humans are nothing but fuel for their fire.

A starving trapper.

Merciless drought withers Kira's ranch, leaving her family hungryand desperate enough to cross the border into the forbidden forest to trap wild game.

But the forest is infested with tree-scorpions and giant cats that wield elemental invisibility, and they're hungry,
Published March 10th 2020 by Fayette Press

To ask other readers questions about Emberhawk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Emberhawk

Start your review of Emberhawk
Sheila Goicea
I'm excited to be a part of the EMBERHAWK blog tour with MTMC Tours from March 16th - 25th, 2020!

I received an ARC of this book from the author, Jamie Foley and MTMC Tours in exchange for an honest review. Thank you! In no way does this affect my rating or review.

description

All included quotes have been taken from an ARC and may not match the finished publication.

Content Warning: Injury, Starvation, Torture, Prejudice, Death, War
If the majority of humans worshipped elementals as gods, and this was their
Lindsay Franklin
Mar 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Emberhawk's danger grips, the humor lands, and the romance smolders. Jamie Foley examines the beauties and hardships of pluralistic societies, and themes of faith, duty, and cultural expectations are skillfully woven into the narrative. Whether you're looking for an entertaining YA fantasy romp or something a little deeper, Emberhawk delivers.
Laura A. Grace
Mar 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book. FLAILS!! (And I'm literally doing that while grinning so wide my face hurts. And then breaking out into a fit of giggles. Hehe!)

So yes, MUCH love for this story that has a wonderful heroine who can stand on her own two feet, a hero who is snarky enough to make you smirk but then make you melt at said snark, and a storyworld that is incredible.

Let me sum it up like this

THERE ARE SO MANY THINGS I LIKE ABOUT THIS STORY!!!

*happy sigh*

Emberhawk gave me a little bit Avatar: The Last
Abigayle Claire
Dec 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If the cover isn't enough for you to try this book, I'm not sure my review can cure you of that defect. Adoring this book is an understatememt for me. The plot was super compelling (and surprised me more than once). Plus, the characters and world were as stunning as ever ... as in, a m a z i n g. I honestly don't know how one author can master so many elements of story and deliver such a fun book in a genre I don't normally read.

Highly recommend for 15+ for some romance, peril, injuries, and
Jenna
Mar 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is such a cool book! I love the unique world; it was so vivid. All the character were so real and deep, and I loved all of their interactions with each other. I'll definitely be looking out for the next books in this series. <3
Deborah O'Carroll
Emberhawk is an absolutely delicious book, with swashbuckling adventure, a richly detailed world, and snarky characters I had a total blast reading about! I loved it so much!

Im a huge fan of Jamie Foleys Sentinel Trilogy, so I was thrilled to get to dive into the first book in a new series set in the same world! Emberhawk takes place over a thousand years before Sentinel and has a different feel but is an equally fabulous read. Sentinel fans, youre going to love this bookand if youre new to
Claire Banschbach
Mar 07, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, romance
Overall a really fun world built with elemental magic and snarky characters. It was a fun use of elemental powers that I really hadn't seen done before. And it really reminded me of Avatar: TLA in terms of some cultures, powers, and creatures, and I was so here for that!

Ryon was probably my favorite character. But fire/light bender with an attitude and a snarky elemental fox friend. What do you want me to do here? lol! I do wish that we'd gotten to see more of Princess Vylia - I felt like her
Abigail
I need book 2 now! This book was so good, oh my word! I really need to read more fantasy books, I love this genre so much and this book was so good and so unique. I was uncertain where Ms. Foley was taking this book in the beginning, but once I got into it, I could not stop reading. The characters were too die for and I loved them so much! Ryon was a cinnamon roll. I loved watching Kira's character development and she was a pretty amazing character herself.

I do not know how Ms. Foley wrote
Julian Daventry
Feb 13, 2020 added it
Shelves: 2020
So this was soooooo cool and unique!! I have never read anything by this author before, and I was very pleased with Emberhawk.

The characters were well written, and the POV characters very likable. I particularly thought Lysander had a neat arc (or maybe I just like saying his name, haha). But the storyworld, now...that was really cool! I love how fantasy is reaching out and encompassing other "feels" instead of the "medieval world feel" if you know what I mean (though I do love a good ol'
Zoe L.
Happy book birthday! I'm just popping in to give my mini review on this book for its birthday because I'm on a tour for it with MMBTours and want to spam you with my love for it twice! In a nut shell: Read It! But yeah, the innards of this book are just as beautiful as the cover looks! It's got some seriously beautiful writing and such a wild and amazing plot! Plus it's available now so you can read it ASAP!

You can view all of my other reviews on my blog! And make sure to subscribe so you see
Hannah
Mar 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Jamie Foley did a fantastic job crafting an adventurous ya fantasy with high stakes danger, witty banter, and a sprinkle of romance. Within the first couple of pages I was completely drawn in and couldn't put the book down.
It's not very often where I find a YA fantasy that I can recommend without reserve. This had all the elements I liked without going too far in the romance department. The characters were likeable, relateable, dynamic, and well-developed. Plus, the bickering was quite
Victoria Cadogan
Feb 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, it is not my normal genre but a fantastic fantasy. Every character, creature and situation is explained beautifully and thoroughly enough that you can picture it all in your head- which I love about a good book- its like watching a film in your head whilst reading, with enough suspense and mystery to keep it interesting but not too much fluff or detail to get bogged down in and boring. Jamie is a wonderful writer with an amazing imagination that she seamlessly ...more
Stephanie Stoll
Feb 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed Emberhawk, and am thrilled I had a chance to read it early!

Emberhawk is a fabulous YA fantasy story! The story has conflict and character growth, adventure and attraction, empathy and Elementals. The magic in this story takes the form of elemental abilities, which is something I havent read before and I found I really like. At least, I like how Jamie Foley has used it. I think the world the author has created is pretty unique and yet I had no problem understanding, through her
Nicole
Feb 21, 2020 rated it liked it
Immersing yourself in Foleys writing is a treat. A vivid and entertaining fantasy which sees two opposing sides forced to work together. Skillfully woven into the narrative is a strong passion for family, one which the reader cant help but fall in love with. Captivating and relatable, Emberhawk the dark horse you dont want to miss.

Full review on blog
Janet Murphy
Dec 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Enter the fabulous mythical world of Alani. Meet humans, shape-shifting spirits, giant tree scorpions, and all manner of magical powers. The story is about conflicts between neighboring tribes, but also a boy meets a girl. They get into all sorts of scrapes together as they travel the countryside. Will he save her or will she save him? Grab a copy and find out!
Darlene Loop
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing, I loved the adventure that I got to go on, So much excitement, I did not know what to expect next,
Katerina
Mar 20, 2020 rated it liked it
3/5
Bookstagram
**Thank you to the author and Fayette Publishing for sending me an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This was a hard one for me to rate. I even had to sit for a few days and stew on it. I mean there were many parts that I absolutely loved about this book...and there were many parts that I absolutely hated. There was no middle ground for me...no grey area. There was just black and white. Which is very unusual for me. So it makes it difficult to write this review!
Mimi
Mar 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
While I may not be part of the YA set, I certainly enjoyed this story. If you're ready for adventure, it doesn't take long to be swept up into it with this book.

First, I liked the dynamics of Kira and her family. They didn't seem forced, really like a normal family. We meet them all, for the most part, at the beginning of the story. It literally starts off with high energy and goes that way throughout the entire story!

Next we meet Ryon who is actually up to no good. He's caught nabbing a chicken
C.O. Bonham
Mar 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Emberhawk by Jamie Foley, is a unique story world that blends many fantasy concepts together into a tasty pastry of a novel. I really enjoyed this book. So much, so that it had better never be made into a movie. A twelve episode Netflix series I'll allow though.

The aesthetic of this setting was unique, think ancient Japan meets, African tribes, with gypses thrown in for good measure. Now imagine it all takes place during the American Revolution.

My favorite thing about this book are the
Andi
Mar 25, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The book and the summary seemed really interesting, but upon finishing it ended up being a let-down for me.

The author has a lot of interesting ideas. A lot of them that are unfortunately not very... well formed and or grounded.

- The plot is very confusing. You don't get a good grasp of the layout of how the world and its magic system work with one another. The only way you pick up on it is if the character decides to mention it while they're talking about it and if it is important to the plot..
Lauricia Matuska
Recommends it for: Readers who love Asian-inspired fatsasy
War is threatening in the Malano Empire Conflicts between ranchers on the border and outlying tribes are increasing, causing hostilities to flare even as drought scorches the land.

With her father and older brother away preparing for war, Kira must help her ailing mother, her grandmother, and her younger brother maintain their family's ranch, but the drought has made resources scarce. Desperate to find a cure for her mother's mysterious illness, Kira supplements her family's resources by trapping
Stephanie - Books Less Travelled
Mar 09, 2020 marked it as read-for-review
*I received an early copy from the author. This does not affect my review.*

Okay first...let me just point out that cover! It's gorgeous! Paired with an exciting summary, and I couldn't wait to pick this one up! I'm thrilled to announce, I wasn't let down, in fact I found this story to be beautiful inside and out, and loved reading it! I loved the characters, found the world-building to be detailed enough to picture, without overtaking the story, the plot was complex and easily kept me reading
Lori
Mar 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
I can't say how much I enjoyed this book except that I didn't put it down until 3 in the morning.
A great adventure into the unknown. Sort of like Frozen 2.
With awesome characters and a fearsome plot I was immediately drawn into this story.
With faith, culture and various other things that are going on in this beautiful and magical world you won't want to say goodbye to these amazing characters.
The way this author writes ya'll is just amazing! I love how she describes the most beautiful
Ejayen
Shelves: favorite-fantasy
I got an email from JustReads Tours asking if I would be interested in reading and reviewing this book. After a day of thought, I said yes. The email with the ebook said I had some time before the review was wanted so I put it out of my mind until after Grandpa's Birthday. Small problem, that was the day before he went into hospice and I was left in charge at home.
Then I got a message, Hey we would like it if you left your review around now. So I decided to read this book in one day.
It's late,
Farah Asche
Mar 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Kira is protecting her farm from a fox that was killing her chickens when she accidentally shoots a young man leaving the woods. His capture sets of a chain of events that changes her life, and her families lives. Waring nations, politics, and belief systems rule in this young adult fantasy.

I loved the different cultures and religions that the author created. I dislike reading a book where everyone has the same religion and believes the same thing across the realm. This book had a diverse cast
Angie
Mar 19, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Actual rating: 3.5 stars

This story is about war, rebellion, conspiracies, gods, elementals and tribes. This story was just an ok read for me. We have three point of views: Vylia, Ryon and Kira. Vylia is a diplomat princess of the reigning kingdom. Ryon is a spy while Kira is a normal citizen.

The world building is all over the place and a lot of info dumping that made yours truly dizzy and confuse. The world has a potential if only it was presented in a more systematic(?) way as I was really lost
Chelsea Wolfe
Mar 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I won an early e-book version of this from Jaime Foleys giveaway and I was so excited to get to a chance to read this early. Winning this giveaway in no way affects my opinions on this book. With that being said, I absolutely loved this story! I was hooked from page one! The chemistry I felt for the three main characters Kira, Ryon, and Princess Vylia was unexpectedly high. Between the characters, the plot, and the amount of description that went into making this story, it creates an entire ...more
ACME  TEEN BOOKS Kids, YA & NA Too!
One good look at this cover and I was in love with Emberhawk. Even better, the story doesn't disappoint one iota! And such a cool, unique world! Wow! I loved the characters. They were full of empathy, likeability, relatability, huge dynamics, and well-developed. I especially liked Lysander...lol. The world-building and plot itself were such a great adventure. So if you are looking for a story with high stakes danger, witty banter, and a sprinkle of romance, Emberhawk is for you.

Highly recommend
Booksandcoffee03
Mar 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Wow!
This was a roller coaster of the best kind. The story sucked me in right from the start and I couldn't put it down till I read it all.
It has magic, magical creatures, an epic adventure with non-stop twists, politics, angry crazy gods and a little romance all of which I love.
I loved both the MCs. Kira and Ryon. How throughout their journey, all the obstacles they face and overcome with each other despite not liking the other.
This book has all the ingredients of being a great read and I
Rowena Andrews
Mar 27, 2020 rated it liked it
I found this an enjoyable, if confusing at times read. Some of the language choices did not fit in with the setting, or the culture that was being presented and I found that disconnected me from the story. The world was interesting, and I would loved to have seen it developed more and more fluidly, and the same with the characters. They all had potential for the most part - and I would definitely like to see more of Vylia. I am however, completely in love with the cover and the premise, and I ...more

• Northanger Abbey
  • Cry of the Raven (The Ravenwood Saga, #3)
  • No Chance Meeting (No Chance Love, #1)
  • Misadventures of a Time Traveler
  • Finale (Caraval, #3)
  • Heartless
  • Persuasion
  • Mansfield Park
  • Kisses and Wishes: One Holiday Wish / Collared for Christmas / Stolen Mistletoe Kisses
  • Across Five Aprils
  • All I Want Is A Kiss
  • Dear Author: Letters from a Bookish Fangirl
  • Conceal, Don't Feel
  • The June Boys
  • On Wings of Devotion (The Codebreakers, #2)
  • Sticks & Stones
  • The Shadows Between Us
  • Knife's Edge (Four Points #2)
Jamie loves strategy games, home-grown berries, and Texas winters. She's terrified of plot holes and red wasps.

Her husband is her manly cowboy astronaut muse. They live between Austin and the cattle ranch, where their hyperactive spawnling and wolfpack can run free.

News & Interviews

Well, here we all are, sheltering in place, buying canned beans, and generally trying to figure out how to stay inside and keep our minds busy....