Start by marking “The Weddings (Inheritance collection)” as Want to Read:
The Weddings (Inheritance collection)

The Weddings

(Inheritance Collection #5)

For Jack Cho, a fortysomething gay man, being able to marry someone he loves is so unfamiliar its terrifying. Then a wedding invitation from a college friend brings about a collision with those fearsand his own secret history.

Jack and his new boyfriend, Caleb, are attending the wedding of Jacks estranged straight friend Scott. No sooner do the guests start to mingle than

Published December 19th 2019 by Amazon Original Stories

To ask other readers questions about The Weddings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Weddings

Start your review of The Weddings (Inheritance collection)
Angela M
Dec 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

This is the fourth story in the Amazon Original Stories Inheritance Collection that Ive read and I was not disappointed. Forty two year old, Jack, a gay man is invited to attend his first gay wedding by his boyfriend, Caleb. Jack is surprised at how it makes him feel and he begins to think about marriage in ways he never has before. Its the second wedding, a heterosexual one of an old college friend, though, that illicited for Jack (and me) the most thought provoking things. Relationships of the
Paromjit
Alexander Chee's short story looks at Jack Cho, a 42 year old Korean gay man, attending his first gay wedding in the Catskills with his partner, Caleb. He has never considered the concept of marriage as one for him, but the wedding surprisingly has him not only seeing it as a viable option, but secretly hankering for it, only Caleb is not so keen. His second wedding invitation is from an old college friend, Scott, a straight guy, obsessed with everything Korean, and now marrying his Korean ...more
Paige
Nov 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
How do we measure the value of marriage? What is the purpose of the marriage ceremony, and what should a wedding reflect? Does the ceremony echo the vows of the couple, or does it mirror something else? How has it changed and why has it changed?

Jack and Caleb have enthusiastically returned from their first gay wedding when Jack is invited to Scott's wedding. Though he has not heard from Scott in years, his invitation to Scott and Soon-mi's wedding causes old memories in Jack to resurface. What
Peter
Feb 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Attraction
The Weddings is an intriguing short story looking at gay relationships within the dynamics of marriage, somewhat satirical, somewhat deferential. Marriage, now a legally recognised possibility that has opened up for gay partnerships but the same criteria and decisions need to be made on a personal level. None shout louder than loyalty, commitment and truth.

Jack Cho is a forty-two-year-old Korean man, invited to a gay wedding along with his partner Caleb. The wedding stirs emotions in
Shruti
Nov 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Weddings was the most engaging short story from the Inheritance series. While it didn't make me feel things as strongly as The Lion's Den, I found this one to be the most enjoyable.

Jack and Caleb have been dating for a year when Jack gets a call from an old friend, Scott, who invites him to his wedding. Jack remembers him as the guy who was obsessed with Asian culturehe'd say things like "I feel Korean inside" and he'd only ever date Asian girls. Jack had always had a crush on him, but
Christine
This is the fifth short story in the Amazon Original Stories Inheritance Collection and is by far my favorite of the three I have read.

Jack is a forty-ish Korean gay man who is dating 32-year-old Caleb, a white man. Gay marriage has just been legalized. Jack and Caleb attend their first gay wedding, an obviously new concept to Jack, which gets him thinking if that is something he would eventually like. A bit later the couple attends a second wedding, this one a heterosexual wedding between Jack
PattyMacDotComma
Dec 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: LGBTQI and Asian ethnic
That someone might like you just for your ethnicity was its own violence.

Rich and famous people are never quite sure if others like them for themselves or just hope some of the glitz will rub off on them. Jack is a gay Korean American, so his concerns are not only about looking Korean but also about being gay. His white roommate in college had always been obsessed by Koreans, so he was never quite sure about Scotts feeling towards him.

Scott was Jacks white friend from college most likely to
Brenda -Traveling Sister
The Weddings is the last to the Amazon Original Short Stories Inheritance Collection I have read. Well, not my favourite of the five I still really enjoyed it. The strength of this one is in the dynamics here between the characters at the weddings. I found the relationships, speculation and secrets here with the characters quite interesting. A few themes are explored here with the characters and an interesting as it all was I found a lot was said and not enough left to provoke deeper thoughts.

I
Elyse  Walters
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A real treat... by
Alexander Chee, who wrote Queen of the Night...a dazzling sensational novel.

The Weddings, captures all that is complicated and wonderful about being gay, about being straight, about weddings, and about secrets & predicaments.

The Weddings, is part of the Inheritance collection (5 book series)...
Sold by Amazon Digital Services)

The contributing authors to this series are:
Alice Hoffman, Julie Orringer, Anthony Marra, Jenifer Haigh, and Alexander Chee.
Cheri
Jack Cho and his boyfriend Caleb have recently returned from attending their first gay wedding, a wedding between two men who had been a couple for ten years, and were finally able to marry legally. It was held in the Catskills, a woodsy, happy but casual affair.

Until recently, there had been no reason for Jack to even contemplate marriage, as a 42 year-old gay man it had always been a closed avenue. But this wedding, a union of a couple already emotionally bound one to another, seemed to stir
Phrynne
Dec 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5000-2019
The last story for me to read in this Amazon Inheritance Collection. Let me say this has been a remarkable collection of short stories, all of them of great quality and truly memorable.

The Weddings is about a gay couple who tackle the idea of getting married themselves at the same time as attending two weddings of their friends. These two weddings are very different from each other and raise very different issues for both Jack and Caleb.

I read this one while sitting at an airport waiting for a
Carolyn
This is an interesting short story on the role of marriage in today's society. Not long after gay marriage was legalised in the US, Jack Cho, a gay Korean American man attends his first gay wedding with his partner Caleb. He enjoys it a lot more than he expected to and starts to think that he might get married one day, although Caleb is not so keen. Accepting an invitation to the wedding of an old college friend, Scott to an American Korean woman, Soon-mi he finds it a very different sort of ...more
Carol
So nice to meet you??? Ha! The story of the Buffalo wedding....a memory worth repeating for our protagonists.

After the first wedding they attended, Jack thinks Caleb is the one, but Caleb isn't quite into marriage. Then a surprise call and a second wedding invitation from one of Jack's past close friends....a friendship that still brings back fond feelings....and more than one dark secret, as it turns out, for the newly married straight groom.

My fourth read in the Inheritance Collection;

Rose
Nov 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another short story from Amazon, in a series of 5 books

This little read by Alexander Chee is a small book about love, weddings and a gay perspective about weddings and relationships

It was a good little story, compact and unique

Thank you to the author and Amazon for my early release

TheWeddings #NetGalley
Bianca
3.5

The Weddings was the fourth short story I read from the Amazon Original Stories.

It is a competently written short-story, albeit I didn't feel as invested or captivated by it as it was the case with the previous three short stories I read.

Fourty something Korean American gay man feels like a fish out of water, as many of his gay friends and acquaintances are getting married, following the relatively recent legalisation of same-sex marriage.

When he's invited to an old college friend's
Ceecee
Dec 26, 2019 rated it liked it
3-4 stars. In all honesty I didnt find this one as interesting as the other two Ive read in this collection. It didnt captivate me although I think its very well written Im not entirely what to make of it.

Jack Cho is gay, is Korean American but was raised with no understanding of his Korean heritage as his parents wanted full immersion in their adoptive country. His partner is Caleb. Whilst at college Jack had a brief fling with Scott who is obsessed with all things Korean. Scott invites Jack
Tania
3.5 stars. This is my last novella in the Inheritance collection, and this was one of my favorites (The other one being The Lion's Den). Ive not read anything by Alexander Chee before, but Im sure this will not be my last as I really liked his writing. This short felt fresh, and the voice of the main character very authentic. I especially liked the focus on and descriptions of the characters. Unlike most of the other shorts I felt like this was a complete story and I connected with Jack, which ...more
Esther
I received this book from Net galley, in exchange for an honest review.

Jack and his boyfriend attend two weddings. The first wedding is between a couple of gay friends taking advantage of a change in the law.
This wedding is joyful and relaxed and leads Jack to wonder whether he might now consider getting married, possibly to his present boyfriend, Caleb.

The second wedding is a little more confusing. The groom is an old college friend but a little more. Scott is straight but years previously he
Anna Luce
★★★★✰ 3.5 stars

Why am I here? he asks himself. What am I doing?

In just under fifty pages Alexander Chee examines a man's changing relationship to his old college friend. The weddings of the title are the backdrop to our protagonists' personal crisis.
Jack Cho is a forty-something man in a committed relationship with Caleb. When they are invited to attend the wedding of a friend of Caleb's, Jack finds himself, for the very first time, wondering if he too will marry. Soon after the couple is
Jessica
Dec 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
2019 was the year I read all of Chee's works. A great capper to his wonderful writing.
Susan
A great short story about gay relationships and the questions on marriage if possible
Kat Dietrich
Feb 06, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2020

The Weddings by Alexander Chee is a short story.

First, let me thank NetGalley, the publisher Amazon Original Stories, and of course the author, for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

My Synopsis:   (No major reveals, but if concerned, skip to My Opinions)

Jack Cho, a gay Korean-American, considers marrying for the first time, now that it is legal.  Caleb, his boyfriend, is not yet on the bandwagon.

When Jack is invited to
Patty Smith
Many thanks to NetGalley, Amazon Original Stories, and Alexander Chee for an ARC in exchange for an honest book review of The Weddings. All my thoughts and opinions are 100% my own and independent of receiving an advance copy.

This is one of five short stories that are part of a collection called Inheritance. Each one is by a well known author that explores themes of secrets, unspoken desires, and dangerous revelations about loved ones.

Jack Cho attends two weddings with his new boyfriend Caleb.
ʚϊɞ Shelley ʚϊɞ
While there is much about this short story that is universal, the story stays squarely in its lane. At its heart, this tale is about how we forge relationships between lovers and parents and children and colleagues and friends. A tale of this caliber should be shared and read by anyone who appreciates a good story that is beautifully written.

Mr. Chee's writing was magical, this was a wonderful reading experience that was truly a delight. Oftentimes fiction gets at a truth better than nonfiction
Antoinette
The Weddings is the fourth short story I have read from the Amazon Inheritance Series.
Jack Cho is a forty something gay man, who after attending 2 weddings with his partner Caleb , realizes that marriage is not out of the scope of possibilities. The first marriage is between 2 gay men who have been together ten years. The second is a straight wedding, with the groom being an old friend of Jacks and also someone he has always had a crush on.
It was a story about revisiting memories and looking
Anya
Feb 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars. I think this short story suffered like many others from the impossibility to convey a real plot into so little space. The characterization was superb, but I was left unsatisfied by the abrupt ending. I rounded up my rating because I liked reading it, the ending was lovely in its quickness and I just added a full novel from the author to my TBR because I thought with some more space it could be a really great story!
mina reads™️

This was a really nice analysis of race and fetishization specifically through the lens of a middle aged, gay, Korean man named Jack. His experiences as a second gen immigrant and the only out gay man at his college, shaped how he interacts with his peers and in love/relationships in the future. This was a good read and Im eager to read more from Chee. However I couldnt help but feel unsatisfied at the end, there was this interesting subplot that never really amounted to anything, but
Kay
Jan 25, 2020 rated it it was ok
Another short story in Amazon Inheritance collection. Not a fan. I'm a bit disappointed with this collection as there were just two of five that I really liked.
Ming
Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
I think this short story is perfection. The story elements that address race are especially insightful and propel the story. Chee's insights and social analysis are sharp. When I finished this read, I was thoroughly satisfied....it felt complete and worthy.
Sharon Metcalf
Alexander Chee's The Weddings was the fifth and final book of the Inheritence collection.    The books in this collection are short, and can be read in a single sitting.     Each has been written by an established author and they're a great way to either reacquaint yourself with a favourite author or to provide an introduction to the writing of an author you hadn't yet tried.   This book fell into the latter category for me and I liked Chee's style.

Jack is a Korean American gay man in his early

• Can You Feel This?
  • After the End
  • Invisible Women: Data Bias in a World Designed for Men
  • The House of Mirth
  • Royal Holiday (The Wedding Date, #4)
  • Women on Top
  • Broken Man on a Halifax Pier
  • Ex Libris: Confessions of a Common Reader
  • Jane Austen at Home
  • The Ancient World in 100 Words: Start conversations and spark inspiration
"Alexander Chee is the best new novelist I've seen in some time. Edinburgh is moody, dramatic - and pure."--Edmund White

A complex, sophisticated, elegant investigation of trauma and desire - like a white hot flame.--Joyce Hackett, in The Guardian

A coming-of-age novel in the grand Romantic tradition, where passions run high, Cupid stalks Psyche, and love shares the dance floor with death . . . A

Inheritance Collection (5 books)
  • Everything My Mother Taught Me