Start by marking “The Perfect Couple” as Want to Read:

The Perfect Couple

The perfect couple…or the perfect lie?

A year and a half ago, Gemma met the love of her life, Danny. Since then, their relationship has been like something out of a dream. But one Friday evening, Gemma returns home to find Danny is nowhere to be seen.

After two days with no word from her husband, Gemma turns to the police. She is horrified with what she discovers – a serial
Kindle Edition
Expected publication: April 17th 2020 by One More Chapter

To ask other readers questions about The Perfect Couple, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Perfect Couple

Start your review of The Perfect Couple
Nilufer Ozmekik
Dec 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Another frustration, disappointment, another quick trip to Switzerland book (nope it doesn’t mean I’m money laundering or having a meeting with a mysterious bank manager resembles Jean Dujardin. This is not Wolf of Wall Street scene. I’m not in Switzerland, I’m Switzerland, amazing skiing place, homeland of chocolates and also a person who is exiled to stay in the middle which means I didn’t like this book but I also didn’t hate this book. I just have to forget my times I spent to turn the pages ...more
Tammie
Jan 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-thriller
The Perfect Couple, a mystery/thriller, was a solid 3.5 stars. The book centers around main character Gemma-a happily married woman who just relocated to a new home due to her husband’s job. After Gemma comes home to find her husband missing, she later discovers that there is a potential serial killer targeting men that look eerily similar to each other, including her husband.
The Perfect Couple was an entertaining book that was full of twists and turns and had me guessing until the very end.
Pauline
Feb 12, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Gemma returns home after working away for a few days and finds that her husband Danny is missing.
She calls the police to report this and finds that they are already investigating the murder of two young men who bear a striking resemblance to Danny.
This is a slow moving psychological thriller.
Thank you Netgalley and Harper Impulse and Killer Reads for my e-copy in exchange for an honest review.
SpareTheBS
Thank you Netgalley, Harper Impulse and Killer Reads, and Jackie Kabler for this Advanced Copy in exchange for an honest review.

Gemma has it all...a new home in a beautiful city, a loving husband, the amazing job and nothing but perfection as far as the future is concerned.

She loves her job as a freelance journalist and at times needs to travel for short bursts of time. When she goes out of town this weekend, her husband Danny promises to welcome her home with a home cooked meal. Wow, she
Kristi
Dec 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
First sentence:

It was the silence I noticed first.

The Perfect Couple by Jackie Kabler is a quickly paced thriller that was really hard for me to put down. Gemma is married to Danny O’Connor who mysteriously disappears while she is away on a work-related trip. Gemma returns home to find that Danny has disappeared; leaving behind his clothing, passport, and other essentials. What could have happened, she wonders? Tune into DCI Helena Dickens and DS Devon Clarke as they’re working a case in Bristol
Cassie
Jan 12, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle, arc, read-in-2020
Gemma comes home from a business trip to their new home in Bristol to discover that her husband, Danny is missing.

It takes a while but Gemma eventually reports him to the police as a missing person. Unknown to Gemma though, two men, who are scarily similar to Danny have been found murdered recently in Bristol. Is there a serial killer on the loose?

The police soon begin to question Gemma. Something isn't quite right here. Gemma is saying that Danny has only been missing for a few days - yet
Izzie d
Nov 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, thriller-mystery
Interesting scenario.
No intimate details.
Keeps you guessing.
HEA of sorts for the heroine.

ARC.
Michelle
Nov 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Gemma came home onedaytofindherhusband, Danny,gone.It was not out of theordinary.Everything that wasmissingpointedto him just going to work, but he never came back home.Thereisa serial killer on the loose in Bristol.Gemma walked into the local police station tomakea missing person report.DCI Helenaisthe point person on thecase.Thesimilarityof Danny and the othervictimswere undeniable, and so thestoryspirals.WasDanny the thirdvictimin the serial killer case?If he was avictim, whereisthebody?As ...more
Anne
Feb 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was my kind of thriller even though parts of it are far-fetched. Gemma and Danny appear to be the "perfect couple" although we all know that's probably never the case with a title like that! And do perfect couples even really exist? Secrets, lies, a bungled investigation, a bloody crime scene, a serial killer, a missing person...all the elements that are enjoyable to me in a novel. And I never try to puzzle out how realistic things are as I can suspend disbelief pretty easily. So I was ...more
Zoe Weatherholtz
Dec 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
First and foremost, I would love to thank NetGalley for the opportunity of reading this book in exchange for an honest review.

I will give this book 4.5/5. I loved this book! There were so many twists and turns that I did not see coming whatsoever.

We start off having Gemma and Danny, beautiful newlyweds, starting a new life together in a new town away from the hustle and bustle of the city. Everything was going grand until suddenly Danny doesn't come home from work.
This is when the book starts,
Amy
Nov 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
I’ve been reading a lot of thrillers lately and 2020 is shaping up to be a good year for them.

The book follows Gemma and also the investigation into two murders in Bristol. When Gemma arrives home to find her partner Danny gone, she winds up reporting him missing - and is shocked to find the victims of the murders that have taken place all look like Danny.

With the police on the hunt for a serial killer, they aren’t convinced by Gemma’s story. She’s the only one who’s seen Danny in weeks and
Lisa
Jan 09, 2020 rated it liked it
What a ride! I’ve set up all night to finish it was so good. Danny and Gemma are the perfect couple, on the surface. Well, Gemma thinks so. They have recently moved but now Danny has gone missing. Two men matching his description have been found murdered. They are neither one him. Is there a serial killer targeting lookalike? I liked the characters. They played out like a movie in my head. The book kept me interested. I liked how it would go back and forth from chapter to chapter with Gemma and ...more
Donna Hines
Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A whirl wind romance turns into one of two things: Either it's love at first sight or it's a disaster waiting to happen.
The Perfect Couple on the outside looks appealing but on the inside is crumbling at the seams.
Gemmy and Danny look great together until one day he's nowhere to be found.
Did he play her for a fool?
Is he using her to advance his own agenda?
Is he hurt and in need of help?
Frightened she turns to the Bristol P.D. only to uncover a serial killer is on the loose and the victims look
Shannon Rochester
Feb 04, 2020 rated it liked it
Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for my digital copy in exchange for an honest opinion.

This is a book about happily(although newly)married couple, Gemma and Danny. They move from London to Bristol and as Danny waits for his new phone from his new job, they lose phone communication while Gemma is away on a trip. All they have is email and his last email seems very normal, so Gemma is surprised when she gets home and the dinner he promised her isn't waiting and in fact, neither is he.
Emily
Dec 02, 2019 rated it liked it
After Gemma's husband, Danny, goes missing, police begin to unravel his disappearance while bringing to light a series of strange revelations. Simultaneously, a serial killer is on the loose, targeting victims who share Danny's dark haired, thick browed features. Is Danny another victim? Why has no one heard from Danny in weeks when Gemma claims he has only been missing for days?

This was an entertaining read that held my interest for the majority of the read. Kabler did a great job building the
Marianne
Jan 19, 2020 rated it liked it
Jena Henry
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Lovely Gemma, married less than a year, is settling into her new place in Bristol, England with her husband, Danny. They are enjoying their nicely appointed home, painting and decorating it together, creating a nest for their future family. Gemma is a freelance writer and Danny is an IT specialist and together, they have it all. They are the perfect couple.

Until…cue the scary, screeching violins…Danny doesn’t come home one night. Or the next day. Or the day after. When Gemma decides she must go
Tanya
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like this book it seemed like my type of story, wife comes home to find husband misses, tried to find him on her own then get the police involved, but no this story took a left turn somewhere and threw me off. There were time when I wanted to shake Gemma like there is no way you can be this slow. From the beginning I didn’t understand why she waited to long to call the police.

I actually didn’t even finish the book. I just couldn’t keep going. Between Gemma and her foolishness
Cheryl
Dec 03, 2019 rated it liked it
THIS REVIEW CONTAINS SPOILERS

Gemma and Danny were married after a whirlwind romance and have recentlyrelocated to have a better quality of life and think about starting a family. So when Danny doesn't come home one night, Gemma is frantic - they had no marital problems, spent all their time together, and were besotted - Danny wouldn't just leave her.

But when Gemma turns to the police, she finds they're more interested in her than in Danny. No one in their new neighbourhood has ever met Danny, or
Miss R
Dec 10, 2019 rated it really liked it

hanks to NetGalley for a ARC in exchange for an honest review.

In "The Perfect Couple", Jackie Kabler displays the knack of an old hand at being able to draw her reader into a mystery from the get-go. The novel has an intriguing premise that embodies the idiom that if something seems too good to be true then it usually is. So it is for Gemma who met the love of her life, Danny, over a year before the novel begins, until... well, until Danny disappears. Subsequently, bodies turn up in and around
Breanne Mast
“Cheesy as it sounds, I thought we were the perfect couple, you know. Well, clearly not.”

Gemma O’Conner has recently moved to Bristol, with her husband Danny O’Conner. Gemma returns from a work trip to find Danny gone. This is surprising to Gemma as they had planned to have a romantic dinner when she returned. After 48 hours, Gemma reports her husband, Danny as missing. The police connect him to two recent murders as he looks just like them. The police begin to think he may be the third victim.
Debra
Feb 11, 2020 rated it liked it
Gemma comes home from a business trip expecting to find her husband, Danny, with a romantic dinner. He doesn't turn up that night and nor does he answer his phone. As the following day ticks by Gemma starts to worry that something has happened to him. The the police reveal that two men have been killed, each with a surprising likeness to Danny.
This is a book of many parts, some very good, some not so good and some on the unbelievable side.
As the story unravels it appears that Danny has a whole
Jade Kovacs
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The perfect couple…or the perfect lie?

This was my first book by Jackie Kabler and I was to not be dissapointed. I read in the acknowledgements at the end of this book, this was only her second Physcological Thriller after moving in a different direction from other genres. This surprised me as it's very well written and I'm so glad you switched genres and graced me with this storyline!

Anyway back to the book itself!.....
The perfect couple;
A year and a half ago, Gemma met the love of her life,
Adele
Dec 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
Jackie Kabler
Harper Collins UK | One More Chapter
Publication Date - 17 April 2020
2/5
‘The perfect couple… or the perfect lie?’

Gemma O’Conner returns home from a work trip to find her husband, Danny missing. When Gemma goes to the police for help, they don’t quite believe her story. When it is discovered that Danny is a look a like to two murder victims in the area it seems that there is more to this story than meets the eye.

Firstly lets start with what I did enjoy about this
Elaine
Jan 22, 2020 rated it did not like it
Thanks to NetGalley for a Kindle ARC of The Perfect Couple.

Sadly, I failed to get invested in this because the plot sounded a tad too similar to other novels I've read in the past.

When a woman marries a man after knowing him for just a few months, you know things aren't going to turn out well.

That's the plot; Gemma arrives home one night to find her home empty. Her husband, Danny, is nowhere to be found.

At the same time, a serial killer is targeting men who all bear a striking resemblance to
Agnieszka
Jan 15, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020
Gemma and Danny, the perfect couple. They've been married for over a year and have recently moved house.
One evening, when Gemma returns from her work trip, she finds the house empty despite her husband assuring her that he will be waiting for her with a bottle of wine.
When two days later there's still no sign of him, she turns to the police, who are investigating a series of recent murders. The victims look a lot like Danny...

This is my first encounter with Jackie Kabler's work and while it was
Susana Rio
Jan 03, 2020 rated it liked it
Firstly I would like to thank #netgalley and #onemorechapter for the advanced copy in exchange for an honest review of #theperfectcouple.
I have mixed feeling about this book. Although the premise of it was enough to keep me hooked and wanting to know what happened, I didn’t find it gripping enough and did some skim reading in a lot of pages.
The wife’s character is well developed and I loved the way her grief and anxiety was portrayed! I could feel her desperation and it was the parts of the
Denise  Satin
Feb 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was truly a mystery and psychological thriller. This was the first book I have read from this author and I definitely enjoyed it. It was truly a great read with twists and turns along the way. At different points in the book, I thought that it was going one way and then finally the big reveal comes. And what a reveal that was. So if you are a fan of this type of genre of books, I highly recommend it. I never saw the end coming. I might have thought about it towards the end but was truly ...more
Rosalind
Gemma's husband Danny goes missing three weeks after they move from London to Bristol. Things start to get more interesting when none of the neighbours appears to have seen Danny during those three weeks. In fact none of their friends or family appear to have heard from him in that time and he also backed out of a new job he was starting.
After that it starts to become a farce. A couple of murders take place locally of men who look alike and look like Danny and also have been using a dating app.
Pauline Dutton
Having newly relocated from London to Bristol where Danny has a new job Gemma believes she is happily married to a perfect husband Danny. However, Gemma returns home from a work trip to find her husband missing . All his possessions are still in the house. After a couple of days Gemma contacts the local police to report him missing. When 2 detectives, DCI Helena Dickens and SD Devon Clarke realise that there is an uncanny resemblance between Danny and 2 murder victims they are investigating in ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• You Are Not Alone
  • The Perfect Sister
  • Something She's Not Telling Us
  • The New Husband
Jackie Kabler is a journalist, TV presenter and author. She spent twenty years as a TV news reporter for GMTV, ITV and BBC news, and now works as a presenter for shopping channel QVC and is author of the Cora Baxter Mysteries, a series of murder mysteries set in a television newsroom.

The Development is her third novel. Jackie lives in Gloucestershire with her husband, who is a GP.