Start by marking “Funeral for a Friend (Jonathan Stride, #10)” as Want to Read:
Funeral for a Friend (Jonathan Stride, #10)

Funeral for a Friend

(Jonathan Stride #10)

You re safe, Stride. I found the body at the Deeps. I buried him.

Jonathan Stride s best friend, Steve Garske, makes a shocking deathbed confession: he protected Stride by covering up a murder. Hours later, the police dig up Steve s yard and find a body with a bullet hole in its skull.

Published September 22nd 2020 by Blackstone Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Funeral for a Friend, please sign up.
Shay Yes definitely! I read this having never read any of the previous novels and I didn't feel like I missed out on anything.…moreYes definitely! I read this having never read any of the previous novels and I didn't feel like I missed out on anything.(less)

Start your review of Funeral for a Friend (Jonathan Stride, #10)
Tim
Sep 30, 2020 rated it did not like it
I looked forward to this story after, "Alter Ego." Instead, this goes off the rails and crashes. 1 of 10 stars ...more
Jean
Feb 03, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Drip. Drip. Drip.

Water falling.

Jonathan Stride was dreaming. A nightmare, really. He’d been having a recurring nightmare for nights on end. In reality, his best friend, Steve Garske, was dying of cancer. Stride’s subconscious was trying to tell him something.
When he sees his friend for the last time, he hears something very strange: “Don’t worry. I found the body after you left, and I took care of it. I buried him.”

Being a police lieutenant, Stride does the right thing and has his friend
Brenda
Oct 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you’re a fan of Brian Freeman’s Jonathan Stride series, I think you’ll really enjoy this book. Much of it is based on an event in Stride’s past. I was puzzled when Andrea was introduced as Stride’s second wife. I don’t recall her at all. I thought Serena was his second. The alternate story line involved Cat. I have a hard time relating to Cat. I wish she’d learn from her bad decisions. She’s 18 now, but with her history, she should know better.
Linda Strong
May 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing

Jonathan Stride’s best friend, Steve Garske, makes a shocking deathbed confession: he protected Stride by covering up a murder. Hours later, the police dig up Steve’s yard and find a body with a bullet hole in its skull. The victim ... a reporter looking for the woman who made an anonymous claim of rape against a well-known politician.

Stride was the last known person to see this man ... but he's lied to protect someone. Stride is off the case and he is a prime suspect in the man's murder. His pa
Ed
Sep 30, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jonathon Stride is back in stride with a cold case murder mystery in Duluth, MN. All the familiar characters are involved in this complex police procedural riddled with murder, rape, politics, blackmail and sex. Like the preceding books in this ongoing series, the very appealing characters power a fast paced story with surprising twists and turns.
Amos
May 06, 2022 rated it really liked it
Loved catching up with this clan!! Solid character growth and a confounding murder from the past made this chapter in the series one of its best. Duluth or bust!

4 Stars in Stride
Ken Fredette
Aug 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I left Duluth when I graduated from UMD in 1969 and then spent 4 years in the U.S. Coast Guard. I really loved Duluth and I wanted to read Funeral for a Friend Funeral for a Friend (Jonathan Stride #10) by Brian Freeman to see if he would put any of the places I knew growing up in the book. Brian Freeman did just that starting with the Deeps (his term) off Seven Bridges Road. Made it seem bigger than I remember. Park Point and I have many memories with the Northern Lights and fires, ever walk to the end the easy way through the forest, and then by t ...more
Micky Cox
Sep 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding new episode for the Jonathon Stride series! The narrator definitely helps bring an already very strong plot and characters to life by enhancing the characters personalities with the unique voices he gives them as well as enhancing the emotions of the moment. If you haven't read/listened to the Stride series, you are seriously missing out. Drama, murder, mystery, love, hate, action and so much more rolled into a very cohesive and entertaining plot to keep you listening for hours! ...more
Mick Dubois
Jul 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Lake Superior, Duluth.
The last thing that dying dr. Steve says to his life-long best friend police-chief Jonathan Stride is that he buried the body that (he thinks that) Jonathan killed and that nobody knows about it. Stride knows that he didn’t kill anybody but he has a good idea about the identity of the victim. In his garden, they find the body of Ned Baer, a journalist who disappeared 7 years earlier. Stride was the last man, to see him alive. The journalist came to town to find the woman th
Jeanette
Nov 11, 2020 rated it it was ok
This book has got to be up for most overrated. A prize with 100's to 1000's of possible entries for 2020 alone, here on Goodreads. A poster just says "neurotic". That's an accurate description. These are cops and responsible adults? No more of these for me.

And why, oh why- would you put up with that attitude and enable an 18 year old brat as if she was doing you a favor by living off of you? Blind leading the blind. Who seem to believe they are eagle eyes on top of it.
Mary
Sep 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is the most recent offering in the Jonathan Stride series which is set in Duluth, MN. Freeman does a great job of capturing the setting and characters. I found the ending a bit convoluted, but this was a quick enjoyable read.
Gary Regan
Sep 22, 2020 rated it liked it
I think I have read all of Brain Freeman’s books in the Jonathan Stride series as well as some of his other novels. I have really enjoyed the Stride series set in Duluth I have to admit that I was not overly enthralled with this book as it just didn’t seem as good as the others in the series. I have reached the point where I am tired of reading about the exploits of their quasi adopted daughter Cat. She has become more of a hinderance than an asset from my point of view. That being said, Freeman ...more
L Cherry
Apr 05, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2021favorites
I love Jonathan Stride! I love Serena! I love Maggie!
This has been one of my all time favorite detective mystery series. The characters are all so full of layers and complications that it feels like they are real. I have listened to this series on audible and I have enjoyed everything about it. The narrator is so consistent with the voices that you have no doubt who is who. I have listened to this series out of order and it has not mattered at all. I have one or two left in the series that I mis
Laur
Apr 20, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Brian Freeman has quickly rose to the top as one of my very favorite authors! His books are multilayered, full of mystery, with suspense, wit, grit, and humor. They feature realistic emotion inside a sometimes complicated career or relationship. “Funeral For A Friend”, checks all the boxes. Had me hooked from the first to the last page. This is one of Freeman’s best!

Although the book touches on previous novels, Freeman does a great job weaving in the necessary details so that the reader doesn’t
Linda
Jan 10, 2021 rated it really liked it
Compelling drama with a great sweeping setting on Lake Superior. I am starting to like this Stride guy, though I wish he had a different name (too similar to Strider or Cormoran Strike. Come on).
I have read one of the earlier ones in this series and I might go back and fill in the gaps. I like that these can easily be read as standalones though.
TheMysteryMO
Sep 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
My favorite all-time book is IMMORAL which is book #1 in the Jonathan Stride series. This book might be my 2nd favorite book in the series because it’s a suspenseful page turner of layered mystery and swirling emotion. This book has a series of characters that bring a mystic mystique and lead the reader to an unexpected threshold by the end.

Best read of 2020 for me!
Bookreporter.com Mystery & Thriller
Brian Freeman and his most popular character, Jonathan Stride, are celebrating their 15th anniversary together. FUNERAL FOR A FRIEND, the 10th installment in the series, is perhaps the most moving and heartfelt of all of his stories.

It begins with Stride waking up next to his wife, Serena, after suffering another recurring nightmare in which he is dead. He believes that he is having these terrible dreams because his longtime best friend, Steve Garske, is not far away from finally succumbing to c
Albert Riehle
Sep 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is another great entry into what has become one of my favorite series. I read this book in two sittings and honestly didn't want to put it down at any point in time.

Freeman has not only created a great hero in his protagonist Jonathan Stride, but he's filled his world with a fun, interesting cast that readers of the series will come to enjoy as much as they do Stride. And they are all on display in this book and their stories and actions all weave together seamlessly. My biggest complaint i
Rick
Dec 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love the Jonathan Stride series. It's what brought me to the magic of Brian Freeman's thrillers and it's this series that make any Freeman book an automatic buy. Funeral for a Friend, like every other Stride books, tells a wonderful story, peopled with flawed yet sympathetic people (I don't even think of them as characters anymore; more like old friends), a mesmerizing sense of place (before reading the Stride books, I never would have been so eager to someday see Duluth, MN), and, of course, ...more
Tiger
Jan 18, 2021 rated it really liked it
Very good entry in the Jonathan Stride series. Stride's best friend makes a death bed confession that sets in motion a whole series of events that keeps the reader guessing until the very end. Good characters-both the series regulars and the newbies- and a solid mystery made this a very enjoyable read. ...more
Syeda Sumayya Tariq
It all starts with the confession of a dying man to his lifelong friend, “Don’t worry you’re safe. I found the body, and buried it.” The only trouble is, the friend is a police officer, and he did not commit the murder.

This book is part of a series but can be read as a standalone too. I think it was a great plot, with multiple characters, each with a very distinct personality and a voice of their own, and their background stories, which all eventually merge towards the end of the story. I liked
Darcy
This was an interesting book, it really made a lot of characters take a look at their lives and have them wondering if they are happy. Not something most people contemplate often.

Stride is at a cross roads in his life, he was before, but the actions in this book make it so much clearer. I liked that with what was happening in this book he was forced to go back to a time in his life that wasn't really happy, with his ex-wife. I feel that by the time things ended he has settled that better in his
Naomi
Sep 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Read my review: https://bit.ly/3bvobAV

Book: Funeral for a Friend (Jonathan Stride #10)

Author: Brian Freeman

Release date (if applicable): September 22, 2020

Synopsis: Stride’s friend is dying. He has one last secret to tell Stride before he goes. The body of a reporter who was tormenting Stride’s former wife is buried in his yard with a bullet in his head. Who killed him and why are all eyes on Jonathan Stride? While Stride is trying to clear his name, his ward, Cat finds herself with a stalker wh
Steve
Sep 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OK, we're in the middle of a pandemic, nothing is happening as planned and then this book drops onto my Kindle on release day. I didn't start it because I wanted to keep it for a while and not rush through it - as I said nothing is going as planned at the moment - I started it as soon as I had finished the current book I was reading. Intending to take my time and make it last - nothing is going as planned - I'm finished and already waiting for the next one.
The good news is that Stride, Serena a
Linda
May 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
All right readers! Another winner in the Jonathan Stride series! Mark the month of September, 2020 for the release of this explosive thriller with more twists and turns than a West Virginia mountain road. I have a feeling you will not want to put this one down until the end and boy what an ending it is! I have to tell you I did not see this one coming. This series just keeps getting better and better. Hurry up with the next one, Mr. Freeman!

Highly recommended!
Mike
Oct 19, 2020 rated it liked it
Well, this is my 10th Jonathan Stride and the first nine were all 4-star or better but this one...not so much. Somewhere between two and three star, I reckon. Oh, I finished it, mostly because I know all the characters from the first nine books, but the story(ies) just didn't grab me. Maybe too much Cat (Stride's teenage ward), very little Maggie and Serena and less Stride. Everybody's allowed a swing and a miss, though, so I'll be lined up for #11 if there is one. ...more
Roger
Dec 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Jonathan Stride tales are the oldest of Brian Freeman’s series and, in large part because of a familiarity built over ten books, these novels have become the most comfortable and eagerly awaited of all Freeman’s books, at least for me. We know Stride’s extensive backstory without a lot of explanation required and his circle of friends, colleagues, and adversaries has been around long enough to become welcome acquaintances (even some of the less savory characters).

FUNERAL FOR A FRIEND takes a
Zaveria Taylor
Sep 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those series I've been reading since the beginning, which has led me to reading all of Freeman's novels, and the latest installment is just as good as the first.

Freeman is an amazing storyteller and always is very good with his twists in his mysteries. This one finds the usual cast of players, but as he so often does, past characters are reintroduced into the story and become center stage, this time being his ex-wife Andrea from the original novel and his good friend Steve who mad
Ken Heard
Nov 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It's a good idea to read Brian Freeman's series in order because this, the 10th of the Stride novels, has several characters whose past is important to really get the meaning and impact of the action.

Every time I read one of Freeman's novels, I think it's the best one I've read. Then the next one comes out. Funeral For a Friend is an amazing read with complex plotlines, characters and action. There's a lot of Duluth in the book, too. I grew up in that area and enjoy seeing scenes like the canal,
James F.
Apr 16, 2022 rated it really liked it

Stride is pretty sure he knows who it is. Seven years ago, an out-of-town reporter disappeared while investigating anonymous allegations of rape against a prominent politician.

Stride is obviously hiding things. He was the last person to see the reporter alive.

His only ally in c

• The Ancestor
  • The Last Monument (Monument #1)
  • What We Forgot to Bury
  • The Girl Beneath the Sea (Underwater Investigation Unit, #1)
  • A Christmas Carol Murder (A Dickens of a Crime #3)
  • The Summer House
  • I Let You Go
  • See Her Die (Bree Taggert #2)
  • The Amazing Adventures of 4¢ Ned (Coinworld: Book One)
  • Who Did You Tell?
  • American Spy
  • Like to Die (Mac McKenzie, #15)
  • Shoot the Piano Player
  • Daylight (Atlee Pine, #3)
  • Death on Tuckernuck (A Merry Folger Nantucket Mystery #6)
  • The Retreat
  • The End of October
  • Magic Lessons (Practical Magic, #0.1)
See top shelves…
Brian Freeman is a New York Times bestselling author of psychological thrillers, including the Jonathan Stride and Frost Easton series. His books have been sold in 46 countries and 22 languages. He is widely acclaimed for his "you are there" settings and his complex, engaging characters and twist-filled plots. Brian was also selected as the official author to continue Robert Ludlum's Jason Bourne ...more

Jonathan Stride (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Immoral (Jonathan Stride, #1)
  • Stripped (Jonathan Stride, #2)
  • Stalked (Jonathan Stride, #3)
  • In the Dark (Jonathan Stride #4)
  • The Burying Place (Jonathan Stride, #5)
  • The Cold Nowhere (Jonathan Stride #6)
  • Goodbye to the Dead (Jonathan Stride #7)
  • Marathon (Jonathan Stride #8)
  • Alter Ego (Jonathan Stride #9)
  • The Zero Night (Jonathan Stride #11)