Start by marking “Second Sister” as Want to Read:
Second Sister

Second Sister

Chan Ho-Kei’s The Borrowed was one of the most acclaimed international crime novels of recent years, a vivid and compelling tale of power, corruption, and the law spanning five decades of the history of Hong Kong. Now he delivers Second Sister, an up-to-the-minute tale of a Darwinian digital city where everyone from tech entrepreneurs to teenagers is struggling for the ...more
Kindle Edition
Expected publication: February 11th 2020 by Grove Press, Black Cat (first published July 31st 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Second Sister, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Second Sister

Start your review of Second Sister
Jessica Woodbury
I really enjoyed THE BORROWED but didn't like this one quite as much. Still, it has a solid hook and for readers who enjoy twisty, intricate mysteries.

SECOND SISTER centers on N, who is a Sherlock-ian character, if Sherlock was a hacker. I haven't seen many mysteries that use technology as well as this one does. With that said, the biggest weakness of the book is how much time is spent explaining things to us. Our protagonist, Nga-Yee, has hired N to find who drove her sister to suicide. An
Tintaglia
Oct 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs, e-books
3.5
Ambientazione interessante, ma sebbene mi renda conto della necessità di fornire informazioni su tecnologia, privacy, mercati digitali ho trovato le pagine e pagine che si accumulavano francamente eccessive.
Sunny
Feb 26, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Impressive background information on internet, hacking, privacy.
Eseink Kuo
Aug 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
節奏明快,沒有一絲拖泥帶水,最後結局收線也很完整,故事的劇情不算太複雜,結局也有點大英雄主義,不過整體的閱讀體驗還是很愉快。
Gwen
Dec 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
這是繼倪匡後令我驚喜的香港作家。很喜歡他的仔細。作風和日本作品有點相似。
Janet
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

When it is snowy and cold outside, superspeed readers like me can read 150 - 200+ pages/hour, so yes, I have read the book … and many more today. LOL

From the publisher, as I do not repeat the contents or story of books in reviews, I let them do it as they do it better than I do .

Chan Ho-Kei’sThe Borrowed was one of the most acclaimed international crime
Madhuri Palaji
Jan 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Second Sister originally written by Chan Ho-Kei and translated to English by Jeremy Tiang is a crime novel set in Hong Kong. The story is very compelling. The author has intelligently put various lifestyles, working conditions, family lives, digital world, crime, corruption, everything into this story which will make the reader pause for a bit.

Nga-Yee is a hardworking young woman trying to provide food, shelter and education for her fifteen year old sister, Siu-Man. The sudden death of Siu-Man
Jantine
Jan 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first time getting to know Asian crime fiction, so I really had to get used to the somewhat messy looking style of this book for a while. On the other hand, I enjoyed books with a more chaotic plot or seemingly without a plot at all, so when I got into this book and realized it is the way it is, and it is meant to be this choppy, I soon was hooked.

I loved the emotional depth of 'Second Sister'. It was easy to let myself be taken in by the waves, to be angry together with Nga-Yee, and
Julie G
Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"Are you brave enough to die?" - Siu Man's killer

The premise for this book follows the oldest daughter in a family of two, Nga-Yee, who loses her younger sister to suicide. The problem is Nga-Yee doesn't believe her sister would do such a thing and as the story progresses, she begins her own investigation into the darkness behind her sister's death and to the possibility that someone had purposefully targeted her sister. Bigger questions arise, such as why was her sister being targetted and
Eloise Robbertze
Nov 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: techno-thriller
Second Sister by Chan Ho-Kei is a fascinating crime-thriller novel in so many respects. The cultural descriptions of Hong Kong and its digitized population creates an almost dystopian ambiance.

It covers themes ranging from crime and punishment (what is suitable and who should determine who’s guilty?) to internet piracy and privacy (are we all journalists now that we can post what we want, went we want, no matter the truth or fake news?) to pedophiles and their victims.

Online bullying, trolls,
Audrey
Dec 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads

If you like dark and twisty, this is for you. This complex cat and mouse mystery explores grief, revenge, bullying and the power (and abuse) of the internet. I audibly gasped at least twice and be prepared to stay up late to finish this deceptive page turner.

I received an arc from the publisher but all opinions are my own.
Andrea Kelly
I found this book very repetitive. With Nga-Yee constantly questioning N and everything he was doing, along with his constant insults to her; I found myself able to skip ahead and miss nothing. The book had a good premise. I just didn't care for the characters.
Joseph Chung
Oct 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
非常厚重,但完全沒有日本某些重量級推理拖拖拉拉的毛病。雖然間中出現非常內行的討論(網絡的運作、名牌汽車的性能等等),但完全沒有閱讀障礙。可惜的是說教的意圖非常明顯,詭計也不是那麼難猜(他用上了許多推理小說常用技巧,所以不是那麼難猜——可惜我還是沒猜中,但是非常接近),扣了少許分數。總括而言,五百多頁的作品可以吸引讀的人不停追看,肯定是本出色的作品——陳浩基先生再一次做到了。
Sophia
Sep 09, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
三星半,少那半颗星是因为黑客/侦探大哥被塑造得过于万能了,有点过时的侠客/佐罗感,而且有的段落说教意味略浓。比较社会派的一本,霸凌、网络舆论、信息安全这样的元素似曾相识,中间还小小地玩了一下叙诡。为妹复仇的女主由于设定的性格关系,并不算太讨喜,不过结尾的走向来看,是要朝侦探+助手的系列方向发展?
Hailong Hao

• Dragon's Egg
  • The Magical Language of Others
  • The Illness Lesson
  • 潘金蓮之前世今生
  • Interference (Semiosis Duology, #2)
  • Cleanness
  • Run With It (MacAteer Brothers, #1)
  • Know My Name: A Memoir
  • Fiori sopra l'inferno (Teresa Battaglia, #1)
  • The Tourist Attraction
  • The Return
  • The Playboy Next Door
  • 经济学通识
  • The Constitution of the United States of America
Chan Ho-Kei 陳浩基 was born and raised in Hong Kong. He has worked as software engineer, scriptwriter, game designer and editor of comic magazines. His writing career started in 2008 at the age of thirty-three, with the short story ‘The Case of Jack and the Beanstalk,’ which was shortlisted for the Mystery Writers of Taiwan Award. He went on to win the award again the following year with ‘The Locked ...more