Start by marking “My First Airplane Ride” as Want to Read:
My First Airplane Ride

My First Airplane Ride

A first airplane ride can be very exciting! Watching planes take off and land, going through security, walking the jet way, finding the right seat, watching out the window as the plane taxis down the runway, and flying up high in the sky and then, at the other end, Grandma waiting with a hug! Nancy Speir’s acrylic illustrations deftly interpret the wonder and joy of a chil ...more
Published September 1st 2008 by Two Lions

To ask other readers questions about My First Airplane Ride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My First Airplane Ride

Start your review of My First Airplane Ride
Feb 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bean-books, picture
This book has brought a lot of comfort to my 3-year old daughter, who is about to take her very first ride on an airplane. In friendly, rhyming text, it describes those things that she's excited about (getting to eat snacks on the plane, watching a movie) and the things that's causing her anxiety (the airplane being noisy). It's also opened up a lot of discussion that we might not have had, like where the airplane wheels go when in flight. The book may not single-handedly calm all of her fears, ...more
elizrdbthspeaks
Mar 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i wonder why this read has so many reviews??! i am trying to recall if i or when i had was on my 1st plane?? i know when i was a teen we went to New York ... very short ride. on and off very quickly but i still could say i was on a plane??! i don't often go on them ... prefer rides (cars or trucks) trains or boats ... ones i can paddle myself. fun read. check it out.
Aug 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Simple rhyming text matches bright, colorful pictures of a little boy describing his first plane ride. Not enough story line for preschoolers, but toddlers will love it!
Autumn
Jul 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone flying with a child 1-6 Years
Shelves: bam-bam-1000kb4k
I ordered this book from our library for my son to prepare him for a trip down the Florida. I had skimmed about 6 or 7 other airplane books before picking this one and it was a great choice. The book really breaks down what a child can expect to see and do in an airport. The illustrations are very rich and use realistic perspectives to show distance and size. I read this book to him every night for 4 nights leading up to our trip, and also read it to him while on the plane. The illustrations are ...more
Christine Turner
Mar 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: travel, aviation
A little boy is excited by his first airplane ride. Children find exciting what adults take for granted when flying. Great little gift for children who are going on their first flight. Bright artwork together with rhyming couplet text makes for fun reading.
A first airplane ride can be very exciting - watching planes take off and land, going through security checks, walking the jetway, finding the right seat, gazing out of the window as the plane taxis down the runway, and flying up high into the
Vanessa
Oct 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely fantastic book to teach children about a first airplane ride. My 2.5 year old son adored it as we prepared for his first (since he was 4 months) trip across the country. We got to the airport and he knew what to expect and pointed out the things he recognized. He also knew that he HAD to take a nap on the plane not only because I told him so but the book proved it with pictures. He has made me borrow it from the library when we got back too. Now we shall buy it.

Highly recommend to pe
Sara Bland
Apr 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
A great book for children who might be nervous about flying on a plane, either for the first time or subsequent times after. This is a great informational book about a boy who goes on a plane ride for the very first time, and all of the things that happen before, during, and after the flight. It really goes into detail with what happens during security screening, having to wait for the plane, the flight attendants, and what the plane will sound and feel like during take off. Really an enjoyable ...more
Becca
Apr 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
My First Airplane Ride is a way for children to see flying as no so scary. It covers every aspect of a day of traveling, and rhymes all the while. Although some children may never have flown before, it shows flying in a fun way for them to have something to look forward to. Great for first grade and below.
Denise
Oct 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is a great story for preschoolers to use for a transportation theme! This is entertaining look at each step involved in flying on a plane. The story begins with an invitation to visit grandma and ends with the little boy and grandma hand-in-hand.
Destiny Dawn Long
I borrowed this because my daughter has been really interested in airplanes. But she didn't really get all into it as a book. The writing is alright and the illustrations are alright... it just didn't really do anything for me.
Ina
Oct 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storytime-reads
A young boy and his mother are off to visit his grandmother and he describes each step of his first airplane ride. Rhyming text and bright illustrations made this a winner with my storytime audience.
Darinda
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good book to introduce a child to flying for the first time. It covers the basics of airline travel to help prepare your little one.
Vicki
Apr 05, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture
If your child of age 3 or older may be taking their first airplane ride, this would be a great way they can see what it involves.
Susan
Dec 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
Cute illustrations -- good book for kids taking their first plane ride. I must say the plane in the book looks far roomier than any plane I've ever been on!
Jessica
Sep 07, 2016 rated it it was ok
Served its purpose well.
Devin L.
Apr 06, 2010 rated it liked it
This story tells the account of a young boys first airplane ride with his parents.
Paula
Feb 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Follows a young traveler through a first airplane ride, from takeoff to touchdown.
Katelyn
Jul 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
may use if take children's lit class; great story to comfort a first time flyer and turn flying into a fun experience
Rebecca
Oct 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I loved the artwork and the story, but I couldn't get into the rhythm of the words, so it sounded odd.
Christie Suh
Apr 26, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
This story tells the account of a young boy's first airplane ride with his parents.
The Library Lady
Nov 01, 2008 rated it liked it
Pretty basic but attractive. And simple enough to read even with a small child.
Alyssa

• Saturday
  • Bear Came Along
  • My Dad is a Superhero
  • How Rocket Learned to Read
  • The Bad Seed (The Bad Seed, #1)
  • Wordy Birdy
  • Ladybug Girl and the Rescue Dogs
  • I Want My Hat Back
  • Mummies, Pyramids, and Pharaohs: A Book about Ancient Egypt
  • Nope. Never. Not for Me!
  • Fiona's Lace
  • Twas the Day Before Zoo Day
  • Mission: New Baby
  • Mustache Baby
  • Library Mouse (Library Mouse #1)
  • Town Mouse, Country Mouse
Patricia Hubbell has been writing poetry since she was eleven years old.
In 1998, her Wrapping Paper Romp was selected as a Parents Magazine Book of the Year.
Patricia Hubbell lives with her husband, Harold Hornstein, in Easton, Connecticut, the small town where she was born.
Remembering how much their children and grandchildren loved to bounce when they were very young prompted her to write Bounc

News & Interviews

Summer reading season is in full swing, which means many of the year's biggest and best releases are coming out of the gates. And although your Ju...