Start by marking “Foreshadow: Stories to Celebrate The Magic of Reading & Writing YA” as Want to Read:
Foreshadow: Stories to Celebrate The Magic of Reading & Writing YA

Foreshadow: Stories to Celebrate The Magic of Reading & Writing YA

Thirteen Short Stories from Bold New YA Voices & Writing Advice from YA Icons

Created by New York Times bestselling authors Emily X. R. Pan and Nova Ren Suma, Foreshadow is so much more than a short story collection. A trove of unforgettable fiction makes up the beating heart of this book, and the accompanying essays offer an ode to young adult literature, as well as practi
Published October 20th 2020 by Algonquin Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Foreshadow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Foreshadow

Start your review of Foreshadow: Stories to Celebrate The Magic of Reading & Writing YA
Michelle
Oct 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Anyone who follows me on here knows that I struggle a lot with YA. I pretty much avoid the genre entirely with a few exceptions here and there. Ultimately, the unique nature of this book is what told me to throw my concerns aside and dive in. I am so glad that I ignored my YA issues and gave this a chance.

Here are the reasons why this might interest you:
1) It's a short story collection
2) Ownvoices!!
3) Editors break down the prompt of the story and techniques used (so you get an intro and summar
Larry H
Oct 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, blog-tour
Foreshadow: Stories to Celebrate the Magic of Reading and Writing YA is a fascinating book.

At first, it appears to be only a collection of 13 YA stories by authors you may not be familiar with. (I wasn’t.) Many of these have supernatural or fantastical elements, and are introduced by some well-known YA authors who explain why they love these stories.

But what enhances the stories is that after each one, either Pan or Suma highlights a literary concept—such as emotional resonance, suspension o
Isabella
Oct 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Foreshadow is so much more than just a collection of short stories. It's a deep dive into the art of storytelling and the magic behind the craft. We get to read 13 unique short stories written by new, underrepresented voices in YA fiction. Stories that range from science fiction, fantasy and gothic fairytales to contemporary, dystopian and magical realism. There's a story for every type of reader, and I fell a little bit in love with the magic hidden in between these pages.

Just when you thought
Nursebookie
Oct 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
FORESHADOW is an amazing collection of well curated short stories by talents writing YA short stories today.

Each story is introduced by celebrated YA authors, many of whom are my favorites such as Adam Silvera, Melissa Albert, Jason Reynolds, Roshani Chokshi, Sabaa Tahir, and Nicola Yoon to name a few. ⁣

This book is so beautifully presented for those who read and write YA. The expert advise with the author notes following each story is some of the most valuable to me as a reader, and a reviewe
skye
Original post-book thoughts:
A pleasant surprise, this book—each story in this anthology is a freshly-unearthed gem, bright and beautiful and waiting fervently to be beheld. It was a true honor to have been invited on the journey of all of these vibrant stories.

Final review:
There is so, so much to love in this anthology. Whether you’re here for the cute, contemporary romance, or if you’re here for the witchy horror and girls turning into lobsters, there is space here for everyone at Foreshadow‘s
Vicky Again
reviews of each short story to come! some of my favorites were BREAK, FOOLS, RISK, and PAN DULCE!
Sara
Oct 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
full review to come. for now, enjoy this mini-reviews!

a note: according to math, the average rating of this anthology would be 4.13 — which, for the record, I feel like is an accurate representation of how I feel about them! however, what the 4.13 doesn't account for is the way the stories in the anthology just fit together, or how the stories are so diverse(!) and new(!) and fresh(!), or just the sheer magic of reading this anthology and feeling like you've witnessed something truly divine.

with
Literary Redhead
What a fantastic way to showcase YA talent! Includes 13 fab short stories by new writers, each introduced by a YA star. Plus essays and conversations about the craft by NYT bestselling authors Emily X. R. Pan and Nova Ren Suma. Essential for all who love this genre!

5 of 5 Stars

Pub Date 20 Oct 2020

Thanks to the authors, Algonquin Young Readers, and NetGalley for the review copy. Opinions are mine.

#Foreshadow #NetGalley
Sofia S.
Oct 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Read this review on my blog!

-------

Thank you to Algonquin Young Readers for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review! All opinions are my own

-------

FLIGHT, Tanya Aydelott

⭐⭐⭐

Rating: 3 out of 5.
The story that opens this anthology is a bit of a strange one – and it’ll set the tone very well for the following stories (opening with the creepy might not have been the best choice for me personally, because creepy really isn’t my thing. anyway).

This was a selkie story, an
Amy Imogene Reads

An interesting take at the writers behind the curtain in a YA anthology filled with underrepresented voices, fantastical fiction, and more. This is a must read for anyone interested in the craft of writing.

Concept: ★★★★★
Writers' workshop elements: ★★★★★
Enjoyment: ★★★★

Foreshadow is a really unique concept for an anthology. Curated by authors Emily X.R. Pan and Nova Ren Suma, this collection features thirteen YA stories from a diverse group of lesser known YA authors—with each of their s
Sahitya
Average Rating :⭐️⭐️⭐️.9

I’m definitely having a better time reading short fiction these days, so I decided to pick this one up and it blew me away with the breadth of amazing writing in it and the wonderful new voices we get introduced to. The stories are diverse and fun and intense, and I loved the editors mentioning the reasons behind choosing these stories, and the sprinkling of writing advice throughout the anthology was just icing on the cake. There are also prompts for budding writers to t
Michelle
Foreshadow was originally an online literary project that featured new and emerging authors from marginalized groups. Each of their stories is introduced here by some of the most highly recognized and beloved voices in YA today. Following each tale is a brief glimpse into the writer’s mind:
> What myths are incorporated into their stories and why?
> Why the story is narrated in first person or second person voice and how does this change how
the audience views the characters?
> The importance of h
Veronica (Honey Roselea Reads)
description
My Blog | My BookTube | My Book Club | Instagram | Twitter

Thank you to Algonquin Young Readers and NetGalley for providing me an ARC in exchange for an honest review!

I'm happy to have my blog tour date be October 18, 2020 on my blog Honey Roselea Reads!

Hello everyone here is the review to Foreshadow
yanitta☏
Jun 26, 2020 marked it as to-read
Shelves: earcs
Thank you so so much Edelweiss and Workman for providing me with an ARC of this book!
This is one of my most anticipated releases since, not only does it have stories, but it has writing advice. I've got to read it now.
Stuti
Oct 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
hey look ma i'm in the acknowledgments :~) ...more
M.  [storme reads a lot]
I found this to be a great read for October. All the stories have an element of magic or the like in them, which was a lot of fun. You definitely have to suspend your disbelief when it comes to the stories, but they are all great. I liked how each how elements of the story explained, and it gave me a deeper appreciation for the book overall.

I liked how more well known authors would introduce the stories, it was great to see authors supporting each other. Also since I knew the authors and had rea
Jypsy
Oct 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Thank you Algonquin Young Readers for a complimentary copy and including me on the book tour. I voluntarily reviewed this book. All opinions expressed are my own.

Foreshadow
By: Emily X. R. Pan & Nova Ren Suma

REVIEW ☆☆☆☆☆

Imagine holding a lovely little object in your hand. You marvel at its craftsmanship and sense of magic. Now, take it apart, and realize you have limited knowledge about its inner workings. Fortunately, the creator of this object leaves a note explaining a bit of how or why it c
Isa (Bookishlifetime)
Oct 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is truly unique. One of a kind. The 13 short stories are not only all amazing, but the comments that Pan and Suma make are so refreshing! I never read a book like this but I learned a lot and found it fascinating! I believe that both readers and authors can really learn something from this book! The analysis of a story is so interesting to see and giving out writing advice at the same time… amazing!
Fanna
Sep 07, 2020 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2020-releases
September 08, 2020: Look at all those contributors OMG how amazing is this going to be-
Tiffani Reads
Aug 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Average rating: 3.7 stars

This was such a diverse collection of stories, there really was something for everyone to enjoy. I really enjoyed this anthology on a whole and feel that it will be very inspiring for present and future writers alike. I think the story prompts included with some story will be very helpful to aspiring writers to help them with their writing. My favourite stories were Sweetmeats, Solace, Fools, and Break for various reasons. I have included short review and ratings for eac
✫erin✫
Aug 03, 2020 rated it liked it
Such an amazing collection of short stories! Although not all of them were my cup of tea, this book really showcased the amazing talent these thirteen writers have. The stories were short and sweet, each just long enough to connect to the character. I would recommend this to anyone and the ages of 17 +. My only wish is that all the stories were catered to me(but that's just a litttleeee selfish..) ...more
nat
Apr 24, 2020 marked it as 2020-publications
edit: yeah it is sdfgdfg

is this book even actually coming out?
Veronica
Oct 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
I've always loved stories. Books, movies, personal anecdotes, even the occasional fanfic or two...I love stories like a foodie loves food, so when I saw an anthology celebrating the magic of reading YA--an oft scorned and under-appreciated genre--I knew I had to read it.

Of all the anthologies I've read thus far, this is my favorite by a long shot. Even its premise is unique:
1) it analyzes of the writing process
2) it focuses on new voices in YA
3) it includes underrepresented voices

1) This is l
Flor Méndez
Oct 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: inglés, digital, 2020
I really liked most of these stories, and even those which I didn't like are powerful and would be great in another reader's hands. This book is amazing and YA star writers introducing all these amazing new YA writers is a hopeful, powerful thing. LOVED the book and its purpose!

Flight: 2/5. I liked its final thoughts on the whole thing, but the story didn't convince nor was my cup of tea. I understand not understanding since we start with the same amount of information the main character has, bu
Pavitra (For The Love of Fictional Worlds)

Also Posted on For The Love of Fictional Worlds

Disclaimer: An eARC was provided via Algonquin YR as part of the Blog Tour. The Thoughts, opinions & feelings expressed in the review are therefore, my own.

Oh this was such a gorgeous and a brilliant way of introducing some very new voices in the YA genre!

Foreshadow is an anthology of short stories - some very diverse genres ranging from contemporary to fantasy to science fiction.

All wonderfully written by some very talented new voices- lov
Rachel
Oct 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a book of short stories written by emerging Young Adult authors and, as an aspiring Young Adult writer myself, I found a lot of joy in the way that this anthology was put together. The project and the website itself are incredibly commendable, and it makes me so happy to know that diverse young adult authors are being supported by such a platform. These are stories that deserve to be broadcasted.

It's difficult to review the book itself, but it had a wonderful structure of Short Story -->
fangirlishwandering
Aug 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
I'm not a writer, but if I were, this would have been the book I was in desperate need to have.

The moment I saw this book on NetGalley, I knew I had to read it. A book that celebrates the YA genre? Give me them all.
And this one didn't disappoint.

This book collects 13 short-stories in total written by New Voice writers, hidden talents ready to shine. Following each story, you get the Author's note that gives you some insights into the writing and plot planning part. And in addition to all that,
Kajree Gautom
Oct 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Foreshadow is a collection / anthology of short stories, analysis and helpful notes to write one. These short stories are so clever, so twisted and exquisitely written ah - I couldn't help but fall in love with them 😍

Stories spanned genres and diverse themes. You'll find some of your favourite authors spinning such sinister fairy tales set in the contemporary world, tales of friendship, of romance with a dash of blood and myth - and so much more!!

I've been fan of Emily X. R. Pan since reading a
Monique
Foreshadow is a collection of 13 novellas, set up a little different than normal. Because you get a lot more than 13 short stories all with an amazing plot twist, you also get a short essay explaining why each story works, what makes it tick and you get explained how to keep suspense, how to set up a story and how to get people to accept the weirdest things. Because believe me: things get weird!

One thing I love about short stories is that they’re mostly about ideas. You can get that one brillia
Theartsyreader
This collection of short stories is more than just the regular short story anthology. Not only do you get 13 amazing YA short stories – from romance, to heartache, to fantasy, to horror and more – each story comes with an accompanying essay that gives you a lot more insight into the story writing and what makes each story special. How to build characters, how to build suspense (and keep it!), how to build a story arc are only a few of these tips.

In this wonderfully insightful anthology we get to
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Body Talk: 37 Voices Explore Our Radical Anatomy
  • The Good Girls
  • Furia
  • Amelia Unabridged
  • Premeditated Myrtle (Myrtle Hardcastle Mysteries, #1)
  • Girlhood: Teens Around the World in Their Own Voices
  • Mexican Gothic
  • Home Before Dark
  • How to Get Away with Myrtle (Myrtle Hardcastle Mysteries, #2)
  • The Summer I Turned Pretty (Summer, #1)
  • A Golden Fury
  • At the Edge of the Haight
  • Be Dazzled
  • How to Build a Heart
  • Secrets of the Starcrossed (The Once and Future Queen, #1)
  • Wilder Girls
  • The Girl from Widow Hills
  • Each of Us a Desert
Emily X.R. Pan is the New York Times bestselling author of THE ASTONISHING COLOR OF AFTER, which won the APALA Honor Award and the Walter Honor Award, received six starred reviews, was an L.A. Times Book Prize finalist, and was longlisted for the Carnegie Medal, among other accolades. NBC News called the novel “moving and poetic” and the Wall Street Journal named it as one of the top twelve books ...more