Start by marking “Matriarch” as Want to Read:
Matriarch

Matriarch

The story is over. It’s already too late.

At the end of the Turkish War of Independence, a British soldier disobeys orders to return home. Setting out to explore a country he had only known as trespasser, he uncovers danger, mysteries, and magic—adventure, obsession, and true love.

One hundred years later, the soldier’s great-granddaughter sits at her great-grandmother’s dea
Published December 1st 2019 by Adam Wing

To ask other readers questions about Matriarch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Matriarch

Start your review of Matriarch
Chase Connor
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
First things first - why doesn't this guy have a 6 figure contract with one of the Big Five publishers?

MATRIARCH starts out, seemingly, as a tale of two star-crossed lovers and the family which that pairing begat. Then the reader finds themselves immersed in an allegorical tale bordering on fable. Fantastical creatures and myths intertwine to show that no family history is without its secrets, and no wish comes without its price.

Like most of Wing's works, I don't want to say too much. His are
Adam Wing
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I wrote this.
Shannon Condon
Nov 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had the pleasure of reading Adam Wing’s new novella “The Matriarch’. Wing has the innate ability to wrap you in a story from page one. His words flow melodically and carry you along with the story. Every time I thought I knew where the tale was going, Wing threw in a subtle curve. As for the ending, I never saw it coming. Bravo Adam Wing. You have a new fan. I can’t wait to read your other works!
Stephanie
Jan 09, 2021 rated it it was amazing
On her 119th birthday, the matriarch of the Merrill family is rushed to the hospital.  Before she passes, Ayla Merrill recounts the story of how she and her husband, Oliver met.  Listening is her great-granddaughter, Cass.  Cass has always loved her great-grandmother's stories and the magic that it brings into her life.  Cass can't believe that she has never heard the story of how Ayla and Oliver met.  However, as Ayla tells her unbelievable tale, Cass begins to realize that something isn't quit ...more
Margaret Adelle
Dec 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I reviewed another of the author's work, so when he offered me a review copy of this one, I was happy to accept.

This book, on the surface, looks like your standard generational family tale with some historic elements thrown in. I was expected pretty standard fare: exotic setting, a love story, etc. But this book has some major twists thrown in that I wasn't expecting. Even with the hints at it throughout the story.

The non-linear story telling does the plot credit, it feels like a story being t
Sharon Clark
Mar 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic from start to finish!

What an imaginative tale, full of magic and twists I did NOT see coming! The way Adam writes, the way he weaves his words together, is beautiful. A fairly quick read, this novella is exciting and sends the reader away wondering about love and life and if our reality is, indeed, real.
Judy Ferrell
Oct 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one is sneaky!

This is the story of Ollie and Gran. But be careful it's sneaky. It will lead you places you don't expect. I really liked this. And the ending... So unexpected!!!
Antonio
Dec 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I don't do 5's very often. Adam Wing knows how to get them.

His writing is simultaneously lush and concise, covering brilliant scenes and ideas without waste. Perhaps that's why we have such great short fiction from him, instead of the padded novels that are so common from others.

Matriarch is a captivating story, with a unique take on some familiar elements of the fantastic. Highly recommended.
Kimberly
Dec 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Adam is an artisan of new understandings of the familiar and timeless. Matriarch is a roller coaster ride adventure to a destination that is somehow simultaneously shocking and anticipated. It blew my mind at the same time that it comforted me and I'll never forget it! Read it next!! ...more
El Hyrst
Mar 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I put this on my wish list after seeing one of my GR friends reading it, and I'm so glad I did. Matriarch is intoxicating and atmospheric. It's a tale being told by the titular matriarch to one of her great-granddaughters on her deathbed, about how she met her husband one hundred years ago. It's a story about secrets wrapped in secrets, magic and myth and legend all tangled up in one family's history. I won't talk too much about the plot, and especially the ending, because the way it unfolds is ...more
Samantha Kroese
Apr 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow! What an adventure!

I don't know what I thought I expected from this story but it was so much better than I could have imagined! The only reason I give it four stars instead of five is I felt the ended left me a little wanting. But in a good way. I didn't want the story to end. Well done! A masterfully crafted tale of unexpected twists. Definitely give this book a chance if you like tales with a fairy tale type feel.
Book Reviewer
Sep 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Matriarch by Adam Wing is a tale full of magic and lore. Ayla Merrill lays in her hospital bed and decides to tell her great-grandaughter Cass a story. The story is of the epic adventure of how Ayla met her deceased husband, Ollie Merrill, but this isn’t your typical love story. Ollie Merrill wanders across Turkey in search of something, but he doesn’t know what this something is. Until, of course, he has an exhilarating adventure and comes across a magical being that helps lead him to his desti ...more
Betsy Wilce
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Adam Wing’s stories, compels each reader to come away with a different take, a different expectation. But isn’t that always the way with stories, you may say? But Adam Wing is a master storytelling where multi layers unravel with each page, and leave you gasping, as you try to grasp onto a thread.
In my case, a tale which started out as just a ‘normal’, possible love story, though set in a time and place, alien to some of us, soon turned into part fairytale and part horror story, full of quirks.
Helen Whistberry
Another wild ride by an author I have grown to love. Like much of his work, there is an uneasiness that grows in you while reading this novella, and I mean that in the best way. The plot encompasses so many genres/themes from folklore/fairy tale to generational/family relationships, love story, adventure tale, and yes, horror, that you never feel secure in your footing. Just when you think you know where the plot is going, another bend in the road, unexpected revelations pull the rug out from un ...more
Lenoire
Jan 13, 2021 rated it liked it
During the end of the Turkish War of Independence, a British solider decides to disobey his orders to return home. He wants to stay in Turkey longer because he feels that his soul is searching for something. He decides to explore the country as as visitor instead of an invader. As he begins his journey, he discovers secrets about magic and mysterious adventures.

One hundred years later, the soldier's wife is lying in a hospital bed. She is dying and she decides that she will share the tale of ho
Jacob Klop
Dec 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Matriarch is a novella that begins with an old woman telling a somewhat dark tale to her granddaughter. The story she relates has the ring of a fairy tale, but is actually the true history of how she met her husband.

The layering of the story is absolutely spectacular. Every time I thought I knew where the story was going the author took it in a slightly different and better direction. The writing is wonderful, and the author is particularly adept at taking the story from the past to the present
Lucy Goodfellow
⭐3 Stars⭐
Secrets are revealed as past and present collide, and as one woman’s future draws toward its inevitable close, another finds hers thrown into uncertainty.

Adam Wing's Matriarch explores a world dredged deep in folklore and the relationships that it creates and destroys. Deftly paced, the twists and turns in this novella make for a whimsical engrossing story impossible not to read in one sitting.
I have a world of questions after that ending and I will be sure to follow Wing's work closel
Evelyn Chartres
Jun 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I picked up the most amazing book this week! Matriarch, by Adam Wing, is a Indie fantasy with a mythological element that I really could not put down. Coming in at just over one-hundred pages, I devoured this novella in two sittings.

What I thought would be a sweet love story told by the family matriarch on her deathbed, actually became a twisted series of tall tales aimed to entertain her descendants…or was it?

The reader is treated to a story of love and dedication with increasingly unlikely dev
Brent Thomas
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wing does it again!

*Full disclosure: I am a friend of the the author and was able to read preview versions of this work.*

This is a rolling take where each new chapter both builds on the story and yet still manages to change the status quo of the story in the best of ways.

To say anymore of what this novella is about is to risk spoiling some truly great turns in storytelling.

Really the only downside of this work is that you are going to want to convince a friend to read it at the same time, becaus
Lost Explorer
Jan 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
As a woman, I was very interested by the title and was immediately drawn in by the cover art. Growing up, I would often listen to the matriarchs of my family tell stories of family members that had passed away before I was born. I have distinctly fond memories of long car rides on Memorial day cemetery hopping to visit their graves and spend the day eating delicious food and conjuring up images of these people that were so fondly missed and loved by others who had many years to miss them. It alw ...more
Catherine McCarthy
Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this thought-provoking tale. The author painted the scenery well with his words, and I particularly loved the way he wove traditional folktale features into an emotional, modern-day scenario. It made me think about the 'what would I do if I were granted wishes' idea all over again, and I found myself considering how differently one might handle such a situation as an adult to when one was a child. I love these 'fairy-tale' elements in stories for adults, and this one was tol ...more
Catherine Bowser
Mar 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
There’s nothing quite as thrilling as a story that you have no idea where it’s going to take you until you arrive. Then, it’s clear that no other path would have been proper. This book delivered all those feelings.
There is great personality in each character and the atmosphere feels just as if you were sitting beside a fire and listening to myths of old. If I had any complaints, it was that it felt a bit too fast paced in moments but those are far and in between and certainly do not take away fr
LadyDay
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Matriarch is beautiful, captivating and well written whimsical dark fantasy with many unexpected turns and twists. You can't help loving and hating some of the characters or in my case feel that way towards a single character. Wow, what a journey; what a world.

This novella is full of poetic prose and vivid description of fantastical scenes that you wish you could see and touch; or make you feel grateful that you don't have to face what's to come.

I highly recommend this entertaining and pleasan
Sigmund
Jul 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Makes me think of "Go Set A Watchman". With a tweaking it could have been "To Kill A Mockingbird".

It's a book with potential to be incredible. He is an amazing writer, and 80% of the book was beautifully written, with engaging and well rounded characters. I flew through it in a couple of hours.

What let it down was the supernatural elements. And the ending. Which was a bit of an anti-climax.

Apr 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Thoroughly engaging and fantastic story; read it in two sittings. Loved the weaving of mythology and history. Rich characterization and description throughout, without being overdone. The ending left me wanting more, yet afraid to find out...lots of amazing questions on fate and desiring to wrestle with!
Shelly N
Sep 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Very Different Tale

I didn't know what to expect, but I certainly did not expect what I read! I love unusual stories and this definitely fit the bill. I don't want to spoil it for anyone, so you'll have get it and read it for yourself. I will say that the ending? I never saw it coming. I enjoyed it thoroughly.
Rachel Sandell
Mar 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Full of emotion, surprise, love, and tragedy, Matriarch is a story that I won't soon forget. Both parallel stories are engaging and equally interesting, and each character is understandable. The magical elements create a whimsical and dangerous atmosphere. The ending is especially memorable! I highly recommend it to anyone who loves a story about love and magic that comes at a steep price. ...more
Hayley Chow
Jul 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This novella was a pleasure to read. I really didn’t know what to expect going into it, but it’s a unique, fantastical story told through whimsical prose. I thought it ended a little abruptly, but I’d definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a quick, well-written read with an original story.
Jessica
Mar 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really cool fantasy novella. It starts in the present day, where the 119-year-old Ayla (known to most as “Gran”) is hospitalised after a fall, and with the hospital staff warning that she's not really expected to recover, great-granddaughter Cass sits down to listen to one final family story – one that Ayla promises that Cass hasn't heard before. That story begins in Turkey, shortly after Turkey's War of Independence. A British soldier, enamoured with the country, is wandering around it to put ...more
Lisa
Feb 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I'm... quite speechless. Moved. This is story is so much... just everything.
There's love and relationships, high emotions and adventure. It's unexpected, powerful, and surprising.
A superbly crafted tale!

• A Storm of Silver and Ash (The Oncoming Storm, #1)
  • Between Enzo and the Universe
  • Perfect Addition (Perfect Fit, #3)
  • The Moon Hunters
  • Death, Just Grinn and Bear It: Which door will you choose?
  • Edge of the Breach (Rift Cycle, #1)
  • The Frost Eater (The Magic Eaters Trilogy, #1)
  • The End of Echoes
  • A Million Little Souls
  • A Song in the Rain
  • Dead Heads
  • In Light of the Summit (The Rainier Series Book 2)
  • Revenge of the Sluts
  • Waiting for the Night Song
  • On Display (Bryce Can Play #1)
  • The Thankful Unicorn: Dream
  • Chosen Ones (The Chosen Ones, #1)
  • Noir: [Or, When the Night Comes]