Start by marking “Join or Die (Heir to the Scion, #1)” as Want to Read:
Join or Die (Heir to the Scion, #1)

Join or Die

(Heir to the Scion #1)

A group of outcasts, struggling to survive in a school filled with monsters.

An average kid, growing up in Las Vegas, Alex Ayers life skids off the rails when a dragon shifter comes for him. Alex is a Creature, monsters from myths and legends. And he’s in line to lead all the Creatures in the world, if he doesn’t get killed first.

Now forced to attend a school filled with
Expected publication: January 6th 2020

To ask other readers questions about Join or Die, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Join or Die

Start your review of Join or Die (Heir to the Scion, #1)
Lucy Gardiner (luc_lostinbooks)
Well this was so much fun!

Alex is a 14 year old boy living with his mother, when one day a he comes home to find a strange man called Durant in his house who turns his world upside down. Alex discovers he isn’t human, his father was actually a dragon shifter which makes Alex a Creature.

Due to the fact Alex is going to Change soon he has to leave home and is sent to Fios Academy a school for the supernatural.

I liked Alex as a character and his snarky sarcastic dialogue, it added witty humour
 Nyarlathotep Twelfth Month The Haunted Reading Room
Perfectly ordinary adolescent boy in Las Vegas--single parent family, one good friend, starting high school--suddenly discovers he isn't human. Well, only half--his mother is human, his father, absent for six years, is a Creature. Yes, Creature: those entities of fairy tales and mythology? 'Tis real, they are. And Young Alex will be their Scion.

Creatively imagined and fantasized, JOIN OR DIE is Book 1 of HEIRS TO THE SCION Series.
This is YA Fantasy, but I rate it 18+ for language.
Obsessed Girl
Thank you so much to BooksGoSocial for giving me an ARC of Join or Die by J. Adrian Ruth via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

There’s a rich person in their house, uncanny on their middle class suburb. And then normal human Alex (or what he thought) is brought to Kentucky all the way from Vegas to attend a magical academy. Turns out, he’s some kind of candidate to become this Otherworld leader to continue the peace between different breeds of Creatures. Clueless and ignorant, he
Merlin’s Cove
Dec 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
This one was a pleasant surprise! It’s a Young Adult fantasy book, about supernatural beings named ‘Creatures’, who live alongside humans, both in the mortal realm and in an Otherworld realm. The story revolves around Alex Ayers, a 14 year old boy who discovers that his absent father is really a powerful Creature, a dragon shifter to be precise, and he will soon change to become a Creature - although nobody knows exactly which type of Creature he’ll be yet....

Alex is whisked away to a school in
Lu
Nov 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: earc, fantasy, in-english
I received this book from NetGalley in exchange of an honest review.

Join or Die is a very peculiar book. Alex's life, a 14 years old from Las Vegas, is turn upside down one day when a friend, Durant, of his absentee father came into his house and revealed to him the most weird truth: he's a Creature, a magical being, his father is a dragon and Durant is one too.
Since during puberty every Creature went through the Change, transforming them into what really are (vampire, dragon and so on),Alex is
Aly
Solid 4/5 stars!

Not gonna lie, I wasn't expecting to end up enjoying this as much as I did. I'm a huge fanatic when is comes to supernatural/paranormal books, but for some reason this one made me a bit nervous. For the most part, the synopsis does a really good job of telling you what's in store without giving anything away. I will say, I thought that the first quarter of the book felt much more of a middle grade read to me. After that quarter though, it starts to mature a bit more and go into
Danielle Bush
Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received this book from netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
I thought this book was surprisingly good. I was a little worried when I realized this was more like a middle grade book. The main character Alex is only 14, but the first scene had me hooked. It started with a person running through the woods from someone trying to kill him. I think while the characters are on the younger side any age would enjoy reading this.
Join or Die reminds me a lot of Harry Potter, it has a young boy who
Michael Rhames
Dec 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: epub, owned, pdf
I want to thank #NetGalley for providing me with an ARC of #JoinOrDie for examining and reviewing purposes. Also thanks to the author J. Adrian Ruth and BooksGoSocial.

I really like the concept and the world the author built here. The way the different breeds of Creatures come about make the possibilities endless. Hopefully, we're looking at a long series here.

My only complaint comes towards the correctness of the writing and the lack of editing, which as I read seemed like a first draft that was
サヘリー
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf
Despite the blurb making it seem like an all-new thing, the book was full of clichéd tropes, all of which I've seen in spades before in movies and books. I feel especially bad saying this since it is the author's first novel, it seems. But I don't think this book was for me.

The world-building was nice, and I wish we got to see more of the world the author built in the novel. There's sequels coming to this book, however, which might fix this, for those who want to continue with the series.

There
Meghan
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
This book was received as an ARC from BooksGoSocial in exchange for an honest review. Opinions and thoughts expressed in this review are completely my own.

What if you woke up one day to a dragon shifter that tells you that you will eventually morph into a creature and they need you to save their kingdom before you get killed That is the case for Alex as he is visited by a dragon shifter and is told exactly that. While now surviving his new school, Alex forms a mini-army of misfits including a
Starzy
Alex is just a 14 year old kid living an ordinary life with his single mum...until one day, a stranger shows up. The stranger tells Alex that like his father before him, he isn’t human. Alex is soon whisked away to a school for Creatures and has to start rethinking everything he thought he knew about the world.

As a story about a variety of creatures, including both the familiar such as vampires and the less well known, this is the kind of story I may have eaten up as a kid/young teen. There’s a
Tanja Smith
Nov 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a fun read this book was, I can not wait for the next installment on the series! When I picked up a copy of the book, I was undecided on what I wanted to read next, so I decided merely on the cover art to pick Join or Die. And what a pleasant surprise it was.
Alex Ayers life is turned upside down when he finds out that Creatures that Myths and Legends talk about are real and he is one of them. When he joins Fios Academy he quickly learns that he could be the next leader of them all. Joined
Sunshyne
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Holy creature feature,!! This book blew me away. I’d say it rivals Harry Potter. No seriously, I want the second book. If I have a proper review it would spoil it all. Because you just can’t talk Babur the book without diving in the deep end of FIOS. I love love love this book. The charcters are bad ass!! Whew I’m ready for book 2.
Jemma Geary
Nov 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There's a few grammatical and wording issues in here but overall what a fantastic book. Think this will appeal to fans of Harry potter. Alex is a great character; I loved that we hear his thoughts throughout as it adds to the story so much. The introduction to eachnof his new friends is well done and by the end I was already itching to read the next in the series.
Amy
Dec 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: net-galley
I received this book from Net Galley in exchange for an honest review.

Wow! Great story. Really enjoyed seeing Alex learn about the different Creatures and to navigate a new world. Cannot wait for the next one.
Sayo
Nov 28, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
I could not get into this book.
I read other reviews where people said the book seems rushed, because it was so short.
But for me it dragged,

I just was not interested in the story, which is too bad, because this seems like the kind of book I would like.
Jessie Rae
Blog

I received an ARC in exchange for an honest review

this book had a lot of potential but it just fall flat nothing made any since everything felt rushed (its a very short book)
Alex Gale
Nov 19, 2019
Bryce
Dec 08, 2019
Jill Elizabeth
I thought this one sounded promising. The world within the world/regular kid finds out he's magical trope has been done - many times I still often enjoy this type of story, and the Creature angle sounded just novel enough to grab my attention. Plus I liked the cover. When I started reading, I realized it was short - which I also thought seemed promising, since my one complaint about stories in genres that are often-visited like this one is the authors try to layer on details in the attempt to ...more
Crystal Wheeler Leighty
Tori
Dec 08, 2019
Aly
Dec 09, 2019

• Winter (Evermore Academy, #1)
  • The Antidote
  • Irresistible (Cloverleigh Farms, #1)
  • The Long Call (Two Rivers, #1)
  • To Bed the Bride (All for Love, #3)
  • Pain (Curse of the Gods, #5)
  • The Soldier's Scoundrel (The Turner Series, #1)
  • Don't Call Me Dirty
  • The Lawrence Browne Affair (The Turner Series, #2)
  • The Ruin of a Rake (The Turner Series, #3)
  • Kidnapped by the Pirate
  • The Christmas Deal
  • A King Undone (Noble Pleasures #1)
  • Gay Romance Holiday Collection
  • If Only in My Dreams
  • Valor on the Move (Valor, #1)
  • The Chimera Affair (The Chimera Affair #1-1.5)
  • Test of Valor (Valor, #2)