Start by marking “Dead Woman Scorned (The Patience of a Dead Man #2)” as Want to Read:
Dead Woman Scorned (The Patience of a Dead Man #2)

Dead Woman Scorned

(The Patience of a Dead Man #2)

She's back, and they’ll regret what they’ve done.

Mildred Wells had a miserable life that carried over to a lonesome death. In the end, they betrayed her - played her the fool. She was the last to know, but there's still time to catch up. She'll formulate her painful plan as they live their lives in blissful ignorance.

With no more family, only vengeance drives her; in fact,
Published November 12th 2019 by Michael Clark Books

To ask other readers questions about Dead Woman Scorned, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Woman Scorned

Start your review of Dead Woman Scorned (The Patience of a Dead Man #2)
Scarlett Readz and Runz....Through Novel Time & Distance
Brilliant!

In THE PATIENCE OF A DEAD MAN, we learned of Tim Russell who purchased a farm in New Hampshire to fix up after a messy divorce and who falls for his real estate agent Holly Burns. He hopes to make some quick cash with this fixer-upper, but he soon learns that the place is haunted by ghosts, specifically, one female ghost named Mildred, and she is an angry one.

Despite the scary haunts and the foreboding diary he found with Holly, they turn around the farmhouse in as quick of a time as p
Sadie Hartmann Mother Horror
Oct 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: scream-mag
DEAD WOMAN SCORNED follows THE PATIENCE OF A DEAD MAN in a trilogy of books by Michael Clark. It's this reader's opinion that Clark really upped his game with this one and I'm excited to share my thoughts on Book 2 with SCREAM fans since they have already heard my thoughts on Book 1.

I'm very eager to read Book 3. Full review to come!
Well Read Beard
Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-books
This is more than a haunted house story. Hell hath no fury like Mildred Wells. It's really a perfect melding of history, horror fantasy, and gothic horror. It takes that gorgeous, vast setting that I talked about for Book 1 and just explodes the entire haunted house concept into something much, much bigger. We dig deep into Mildred's history which takes us down a narrative of mythology and lore that explains her power.

We realized in Book 1 that Mildred is more than a ghost. She possesses power t
Andrew Fowlow
Aug 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned. And that is the best way to sum up Mildred Wells. You thought this other worldly being was bad ass in book one, well book two tells a new story and it transforms our antagonist into a supernatural being much more powerful than we ever anticipated. Ol'Milly has a few new tricks up her sleeve and neither Tim or Holly seem to stand a chance this time.

The first half of the book gives a better explanation of why Mildred Wells is who she is. A dark supernatural
Sjgomzi
Mar 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-list-2020
Clark expands on everything that made the first book so great, and crafts one of those rare sequels that surpasses the original work in every way. And this is saying a lot, since that first book was an amazing piece of tension building, character driven horror. So much more than your average ghost story. Clark weaves a backstory for Mildred Wells, his undead axe wielding antagonist, that’s every bit as compelling as the main story, maybe more so. The words jump off the page every time she makes ...more
Mindi
Apr 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Review to follow soon...
Kim Napolitano
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Fantastic book 2! The reader is given Mildreds torturous back story. A Pennsylvania cult takes a dangerous turn when the cult leader realizes he needs more, secrets of the dead and puts the whole cult/family in peril. Gideon brings his “family” to join another cult that harbors horrible rituals and can make the dead, undead. No spoilers, it would be to easy to do and ruin everything! The past moves forward to the present with Mildred seeking revenge and actually, some kind of acceptance as her r ...more
Zoé-lee O'farrell
Aug 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2020
Strewth what a book! This is now building up to one epic countdown of a finale! This book is not scary but instead, the tension is palpable! We learn all about Mildred and her past and how she became what she is! That is some dark and brutal stuff! We are also back with Tim and Holly learning what happens before and after that open house of October 1972!

I always think there are two different types of endings with these books, the ending of the book which I loved and fully expected and bizarrely
Valerie - Cats Luv Coffee
Oct 05, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
Dead Woman Scorned is Book Two in The Patience of a Dead Man series and takes a different run at the dark shadow that is Mildred Wells than Book One did. (Read my review of The Patience of a Dead Man here) While we already know that Mildred is more than a disembodied haunting, Clark takes us back to the beginning, revealing exactly how developed into what she is and how she acquired her power.

Surprisingly, the picture of Mildred Wells that comes into focus is one to be almost shockingly sympath
Lee-ann
May 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: may-tbr
In book two of The Patience of a Deadman, Mildreds world is opened up and put on display for us, giving us a full view of her childhood and how she was neglected and abused. It’s the first time I feel some emotion towards Mildred and as she sets off on her path of revenge, I find myself drawn into the story, hoping some people might get what they deserve.

What I really loved from the first book besides the creepiness of Mildreds character, is that she wasn’t just a typical ghost, but a revenant;
Apr 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What I loved about the first book was it was a ghost story but not, there was something different about it. This book goes about giving us the history of Mildred Wells and how she became the way she did after death. It touches on Salem, the occult, even briefly the civil war, tying history and supernatural horror together for a story that unfolded in a way that kept me turning the page. I felt sorry for Mildred after learning more about her past, but her rage knows no bounds and she goes farther ...more
TheCrookedHouse
Oct 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
This is the second book in The Patience Of A Dead Man trilogy and I must say that I am continuing to be impressed!

In book 1, we are introduced to a recently divorced middle aged man that buys a farmhouse out in the middle of rural America nowhere. Strange occurrences coupled with the appearance of a very strange lady begin to take place and the events that unfold are dark, disturbing and strangely, not what we initially expect.

In book 2, the reader picks up right where book 1 left off and, than
Meigan
”She used to hate spiders the most, but Holly’s greatest household fear was now the common housefly. Mother of the maggot and harbinger of Mildred Wells — she now ran when she saw them.” — DEAD WOMAN SCORNED, Michael Clark

While the first book of this series, THE PATIENCE OF A DEAD MAN, introduced Tim and Mildred and their “shared” farmhouse, DEAD WOMAN SCORNED veers away from the main story surrounding the house and the grove by putting readers inside Mildred’s head. Switching betwee
ReadandRated
Aug 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
4 Stars from me

Having previously read and loved The Patience of a Dead Man by Michael Clark I was delighted to be asked to join this blog tour.

I felt like Dead Woman Scorned was a satisfyingly long read with several sub-stories squeezed into it - you certainly get your monies worth from this book!

I was absolutely captivated by the early years and be little Mary learning the craft of magick. The book and all the little spells were fabulous.

Reading about cults - especially given that there are tru
Ross Jeffery
Oct 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Every story needs an origin story and wow... THIS IS A SPECIAL BOOK!

This book is seriously impressive, a brilliant sequel that builds the life of Mildred Wells and shows us clearly and in detail how she became the woman she is today!

I loved the storytelling narrative of this book and the interweaving narratives and characters flowed perfectly and built the tension perfectly.

A stunning book that if I could score it higher than five stars I would... Horror, mystery, crime and thriller all stuff
Paula
Apr 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
OMG !! He did a great one keeping you hooked on book 2 . I can't wait until Book 3
Claire
I read this straight after finishing the first in the series, The Patience of a Dead Man. I just had to find out what happened after the cliff-hanger of the first. While Dead Woman Scorned is a standalone, you will enjoy it much more if you read the first in the series (and why wouldn't you want to? It's fantastic!). Make sure you check out my review of The Patience of a Dead Man!

Also, as this is a sequel - there will be some mild spoilers to the first book in my review.

This book has a slightly
Erica Metcalf
Dead Woman Scorned is another unsettling tale from Michael Clark filled with cults, the living dead, and a bloody quest for revenge.

This tale is the follow-up to The Patience of a Dead Man. I had finished the first book yesterday and dove into the second book immediately. Finishing it in just a few sittings… Now, I will anxiously await book three!

If you haven’t yet read book one, I definitely recommend starting there. While the author did a brief recap to catch the readers back up to speed on wh
Brennan LaFaro
Michael Clark’s The Patience of a Dead Man was a creepy, atmospheric haunted house novel. By the time it was over, Clark let us know it wasn’t really over. It leaves the reader ready for Dead Woman Scorned which you might assume is just round 2. The biggest strength of this novel is that the journey you’re taken on is completely unexpected.

The first half of the book deals with the origin story, So to speak, of Mildred Wells. While Clark makes it clear in book one that she’s not your run-of-the
Susan The Book Dragon Campton
It is once again Freakish Friday, My Fellow Book Dragons and this Friday is especially Freakish. Look at this Gem. It looks as though it is made of Ivory. A small cube, a die, carved with odd symbols. Hold it in your claw and it feels warm. Hold it too long and it cools the blood to ice. That’s it, yes, best to put it back in the black velvet bag it came from. But it’s not Ivory, it’s made from bone, human bone. It is formed of magick. This is Gem Maker and Dragon Feeder Michael Clark’s “Dead Wo ...more
Alice
Aug 14, 2020 rated it liked it
Dead Woman Scorned is the sequel to The Patience of a Dead Man, a haunted house mystery I enjoyed a few months ago. Rather than rehashing the first novel, this time Clark takes us away from Lancaster Hill Road to tell us villainous ghost Mildred’s life story, before returning to the early 1970s and unleashing Mildred on several new characters. Tim, Holly, and the rest play a part, but for much of the book, they’re not being bothered by Mildred in the same way as they were in The Patience of a De ...more
Brandy Michelle Michelle
Oct 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Dead Woman Scorned was a refreshing change from the normal witchy reads you read today. This is the second book in The Patience of a Dead Man Series; however, it could be a stand-alone book. I found I enjoyed it much more than its predecessor.
Michael Clark did a fabulous job showing what made Mildred Wells the tormented soul she was in the first book. She wasn’t always the mean, vindictive revenant she that she turns into but a once sweet innocent girl who was tortured and manipulated by a power
Gloria
Sep 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
*I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.*
Dead Woman Scorned is the second in Michael Clark's series and a step up from the first book. Maybe I just need to appreciate a romance more, but book two focused less on Holly and Tim's burning love life and more on how Mildred Well's came to be the infamous Mildred Well's, which was a much more compelling and unsettling story for me.
Set directly after the first book as new homeowner Tim is busy redecorating and trying to f
Christine Bialczak
Sep 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Dead Woman Scorned by Michael Clark is book #2 in his series of modern-day ghost stories. Tim is just about to finish completing all the renovations of his haunted property, but the ghost is still angry with him and Holly for their actions in the first book. Now is the time to seek revenge.

Tim and Holly have developed both their relationship as well as a beautiful property to get on the market. They want to be done with the house; the ghost wants to be done with them! This story, while moving t
Joey
May 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
you should watch your back if a person felt scorned, especially if that person has no intention to die peacefully and let things go.
who was mildred wells and why she's so angered? what is her story? why she's not like her son? what happened to her and why? this is the story of millie, hope you're ready for a hell of a ride!
vengeance is what usually restrain ghosts to go to the other side. and vengeance is what a certain person is so filled up.
the second installment of "the patience of a dead man
Donna Maguire

I really enjoyed the first book in this series from the author so I was thrilled to see that he had a second book, this one, Dead Woman Scorned in the series - "The Patience of a Dead Man" and it was well worth the wait!

The book was great, it was well developed and had a fantastic set of characters that really worked with the plot and each other - this was a book that had me completely hooked and I devoured each and every page through to the ending - I lov
Carrie Shields
Jun 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Ok, first...this book scared me shitless. I had to finish it before it got dark 😳 Next, and most important, this is so much more than a "haunted house" book. The saga of Mildred Wells, introduced in book one, THE PATIENCE OF A DEAD MAN, continues with a richly layered back story for her character. What she endured as a child went on for pages, and my heart was breaking. The occult elements introduced in this installment explain a lot about her actions in book one. So, she terrifies me, but I hav ...more
Mary
Oct 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Thank you, Michael Clark and R&R Book Tours for giving me a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and feelings expressed are my own.

Are you ready for a great villain back story?

I am always up for a good back story, this is not one of those cases where you see the Villain having a reason for the way they are. I believe that Mildred was never good but due to circumstances she is now much worse.

This book begins with the back story of Mildred Wells and moves up to present
Sue Blanchard
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Spine Chilling

I came across this book quite by chance and, after reading the premise of the story, knew it was going to be something I would enjoy.

What an incredible read. I was hooked from the opening pages and couldn't put it down until I read the final page.

The storyline was well thought out and written. The characters are well drawn and compelling . The scenery was highly descriptive and beautifully written.

I only have one problem with this book, now I have to wait for more.

Well worth

• Altered Helix
  • The Fear
  • We Need to Do Something
  • The Magpie Coffin
  • Dear Laura
  • Bird Box (Bird Box, #1)
  • True Crime
  • Scratches
  • Unspeakable Things
  • Crossroads
  • Labyrinth of the Dolls (Tom Nolan #2)
  • Out Behind the Barn
  • In the Heart of the Fire (Nameless #1)
  • The Crowns of Croswald (The Croswald Series, #1)
  • They Threw Us Away (The Teddies Saga #1)
  • Queen to Ashes (Black Dawn #2)
  • Postcards From a Stranger
  • Escape Clause (Virgil Flowers, #9)
Michael Clark was raised in New Hampshire and lived in the house The Patience of a Dead Man trilogy is based on.

"The Patience of a Dead Man - Book One" is his first novel.
"Dead Woman Scorned - The Patience of a Dead Man - Book Two" and
"Anger is an Acid - The Patience of a Dead Man - Book Three" are also available.

What's next? A story that takes place in a very cold place.

If you like short stories

The Patience of a Dead Man (3 books)
  • The Patience of a Dead Man
  • Anger is an Acid (The Patience of a Dead Man #3)