Start by marking “Dead Woman Scorned (The Patience of a Dead Man #2)” as Want to Read:
Dead Woman Scorned (The Patience of a Dead Man #2)

Dead Woman Scorned

(The Patience of a Dead Man #2)

She's back, and they’ll regret what they’ve done.

Mildred Wells had a miserable life that carried over to a lonesome death. In the end, they betrayed her - played her the fool. She was the last to know, but there's still time to catch up. She'll formulate her painful plan as they live their lives in blissful ignorance.

With no more family, only vengeance drives her; in fact,
Published November 12th 2019 by Michael Clark Books

To ask other readers questions about Dead Woman Scorned, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Woman Scorned

Start your review of Dead Woman Scorned (The Patience of a Dead Man #2)
Andrew Fowlow
Aug 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
*** Full review available at BEYOND THE VEIL ***

So far, The Patience of a Dead Man books have been terror-inducing, relentlessly suspenseful reads that chilled me to my core. I relished book one, but book two exceeded my expectations.

HORROR FICTION NEWSLETTER

IG: INSTAGRAM.COM/THE_BOOKDAD
TW: TWITTER.COM/THEBOOKDAD
FB: FACEBOOK.COM/THEBOOKDAD
GR: GOODREADS.COM/ANDREWFOWLOW
BB: BOOKBUB.COM/profile/2774630872
Scarlett Readz and Runz....Through Novel Time & Distance
Brilliant!

In THE PATIENCE OF A DEAD MAN, we learned of Tim Russell who purchased a farm in New Hampshire to fix up after a messy divorce and who falls for his real estate agent Holly Burns. He hopes to make some quick cash with this fixer-upper, but he soon learns that the place is haunted by ghosts, specifically, one female ghost named Mildred, and she is an angry one.

Despite the scary haunts and the foreboding diary he found with Holly, they turn around the farmhouse in as quick of a time as p
Sadie Hartmann
Oct 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: scream-mag
DEAD WOMAN SCORNED follows THE PATIENCE OF A DEAD MAN in a trilogy of books by Michael Clark. It's this reader's opinion that Clark really upped his game with this one and I'm excited to share my thoughts on Book 2 with SCREAM fans since they have already heard my thoughts on Book 1.

I'm very eager to read Book 3. Full review to come!
Well Read Beard
Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-books
This is more than a haunted house story. Hell hath no fury like Mildred Wells. It's really a perfect melding of history, horror fantasy, and gothic horror. It takes that gorgeous, vast setting that I talked about for Book 1 and just explodes the entire haunted house concept into something much, much bigger. We dig deep into Mildred's history which takes us down a narrative of mythology and lore that explains her power.

We realized in Book 1 that Mildred is more than a ghost. She possesses power t
Sjgomzi
Mar 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-list-2020
Clark expands on everything that made the first book so great, and crafts one of those rare sequels that surpasses the original work in every way. And this is saying a lot, since that first book was an amazing piece of tension building, character driven horror. So much more than your average ghost story. Clark weaves a backstory for Mildred Wells, his undead axe wielding antagonist, that’s every bit as compelling as the main story, maybe more so. The words jump off the page every time she makes ...more
Richelle SheReadsHorror
Dec 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Review of “Dead Woman Scorn” Patient of a Dead Man book 2 by Micheal Clark.

After finishing book 2, I am so amazed at how the author crafted this book. I expected it to pick up right where we left off in the first book but it didn’t. I was kinda sad at first not knowing immediately what had happened after the cliffhanger in the first book but in the end I was happy with the results.

Mildred is furious that her happily ever after was spoiled and she is seeking revenge on everyone that has ever cr
Ross Jeffery
Oct 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Edited as now live on STORGY.com

Every great story needs an origin story and what Clark has done here with Dead Woman Scorned (the follow-up book to his quite brilliant The Patience of a Dead Man) is something down right masterful.

Not only has Clark been able to develop and add to his existing story of Tim and Holly – he’s been able to expertly weave a tale that explores in depth, the origins of the ghost Mildred Wells that is mouthwateringly macabre and down right brilliantly brutal.

As this is
Kim Napolitano
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Fantastic book 2! The reader is given Mildreds torturous back story. A Pennsylvania cult takes a dangerous turn when the cult leader realizes he needs more, secrets of the dead and puts the whole cult/family in peril. Gideon brings his “family” to join another cult that harbors horrible rituals and can make the dead, undead. No spoilers, it would be to easy to do and ruin everything! The past moves forward to the present with Mildred seeking revenge and actually, some kind of acceptance as her r ...more
Mindi
Apr 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Review to follow soon...
Zoé-lee O'farrell
Aug 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2020
Strewth what a book! This is now building up to one epic countdown of a finale! This book is not scary but instead, the tension is palpable! We learn all about Mildred and her past and how she became what she is! That is some dark and brutal stuff! We are also back with Tim and Holly learning what happens before and after that open house of October 1972!

I always think there are two different types of endings with these books, the ending of the book which I loved and fully expected and bizarrely
Irene
Nov 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a sequel to The Patience of a Dead Man in which a recently divorced man sinks the last of his savings into a dilapidated old house, in hopes of fixing it up to turn a profit. Unbeknownst to him there is the ghost of a child and a bloodthirsty revenant on the property.

In part 2 we learn more about Mildred and her childhood, and how she came to be such an undead force to be reckoned with. This is a brutal tale of a cult leader, rituals, and supernatural beings. There is a wondrous gothic a
Brad
Dec 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
DEAD WOMAN SCORNED is book two of the PATIENCE OF A DEAD MAN trilogy by Michael Clark. We find ourselves back at the old haunted New Hampshire farmhouse once again not long after the events of the first book. Tim Russell is cautiously optimistic that his recent tormentor, Mildred Wells, is now gone for good and he can move on with his life. Little does he know that hell hath no fury like a woman’s scorn.

In book one, THE PATIENCE OF A DEAD MAN, Michael Clark delivered a unique take on the haunted
Lezlie with The Nerdy Narrative
What began as a haunted house story in The Patience of a Dead Man takes on a whole new light in Dead Woman Scorned.

Dead Woman Scorned starts off with a completely different tone. It starts off at the beginning...the VERY beginning. We learn about Mildred's history: childhood, teenage years, marriage, and death. WHY she became the menace we met in the first book in the trilogy, the reasoning behind how she came to be a revenant. At first I wondered if I would like the history angle the book began
Valerie - Cats Luv Coffee
Oct 05, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
Dead Woman Scorned is Book Two in The Patience of a Dead Man series and takes a different run at the dark shadow that is Mildred Wells than Book One did. (Read my review of The Patience of a Dead Man here) While we already know that Mildred is more than a disembodied haunting, Clark takes us back to the beginning, revealing exactly how developed into what she is and how she acquired her power.

Surprisingly, the picture of Mildred Wells that comes into focus is one to be almost shockingly sympath
Lee-ann
May 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
In book two of The Patience of a Deadman, Mildreds world is opened up and put on display for us, giving us a full view of her childhood and how she was neglected and abused. It’s the first time I feel some emotion towards Mildred and as she sets off on her path of revenge, I find myself drawn into the story, hoping some people might get what they deserve.

What I really loved from the first book besides the creepiness of Mildreds character, is that she wasn’t just a typical ghost, but a revenant;
Keely
Nov 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Back to Lancaster Hill Road!

In the second book in The Patience of a Dead Man trilogy, we get to take a much, much closer look at who exactly Mildred Wells is, or was. This book did exactly what I feel the author set out to do though, show us that Mildred was once a person, a little girl and largely what happened to her, was not not entirely her fault. She wasn't always an absolute terror.

Do not read further if you want anything spoiled. Nothing entirely but, some of Mildreds backstory you may w
Apr 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What I loved about the first book was it was a ghost story but not, there was something different about it. This book goes about giving us the history of Mildred Wells and how she became the way she did after death. It touches on Salem, the occult, even briefly the civil war, tying history and supernatural horror together for a story that unfolded in a way that kept me turning the page. I felt sorry for Mildred after learning more about her past, but her rage knows no bounds and she goes farther ...more
Janelle Janson
Jan 08, 2021 rated it really liked it
Review to come. Really enjoyed this sequel!
Sharon Dwyer
Dec 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Review Coming
Susan The Book Dragon Campton
It is once again Freakish Friday, My Fellow Book Dragons and this Friday is especially Freakish. Look at this Gem. It looks as though it is made of Ivory. A small cube, a die, carved with odd symbols. Hold it in your claw and it feels warm. Hold it too long and it cools the blood to ice. That’s it, yes, best to put it back in the black velvet bag it came from. But it’s not Ivory, it’s made from bone, human bone. It is formed of magick. This is Gem Maker and Dragon Feeder Michael Clark’s “Dead Wo ...more
Claire
I read this straight after finishing the first in the series, The Patience of a Dead Man. I just had to find out what happened after the cliff-hanger of the first. While Dead Woman Scorned is a standalone, you will enjoy it much more if you read the first in the series (and why wouldn't you want to? It's fantastic!). Make sure you check out my review of The Patience of a Dead Man!

Also, as this is a sequel - there will be some mild spoilers to the first book in my review.

This book has a slightly
TheCrookedHouse
Oct 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
This is the second book in The Patience Of A Dead Man trilogy and I must say that I am continuing to be impressed!

In book 1, we are introduced to a recently divorced middle aged man that buys a farmhouse out in the middle of rural America nowhere. Strange occurrences coupled with the appearance of a very strange lady begin to take place and the events that unfold are dark, disturbing and strangely, not what we initially expect.

In book 2, the reader picks up right where book 1 left off and, than
Meigan
”She used to hate spiders the most, but Holly’s greatest household fear was now the common housefly. Mother of the maggot and harbinger of Mildred Wells — she now ran when she saw them.” — DEAD WOMAN SCORNED, Michael Clark

While the first book of this series, THE PATIENCE OF A DEAD MAN, introduced Tim and Mildred and their “shared” farmhouse, DEAD WOMAN SCORNED veers away from the main story surrounding the house and the grove by putting readers inside Mildred’s head. Switching betwee
ReadandRated
Aug 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
4 Stars from me

Having previously read and loved The Patience of a Dead Man by Michael Clark I was delighted to be asked to join this blog tour.

I felt like Dead Woman Scorned was a satisfyingly long read with several sub-stories squeezed into it - you certainly get your monies worth from this book!

I was absolutely captivated by the early years and be little Mary learning the craft of magick. The book and all the little spells were fabulous.

Reading about cults - especially given that there are tru
Paula
Apr 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
OMG !! He did a great one keeping you hooked on book 2 . I can't wait until Book 3 ...more
Tish Collier
Oct 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Okay so this tied Mildred’s background into the story. I get her now....
Erica Robyn Metcalf
Dead Woman Scorned is another unsettling tale from Michael Clark filled with cults, the living dead, and a bloody quest for revenge.

This tale is the follow-up to The Patience of a Dead Man. I had finished the first book yesterday and dove into the second book immediately. Finishing it in just a few sittings… Now, I will anxiously await book three!

If you haven’t yet read book one, I definitely recommend starting there. While the author did a brief recap to catch the readers back up to speed on wh
Alice
Aug 14, 2020 rated it liked it
Dead Woman Scorned is the sequel to The Patience of a Dead Man, a haunted house mystery I enjoyed a few months ago. Rather than rehashing the first novel, this time Clark takes us away from Lancaster Hill Road to tell us villainous ghost Mildred’s life story, before returning to the early 1970s and unleashing Mildred on several new characters. Tim, Holly, and the rest play a part, but for much of the book, they’re not being bothered by Mildred in the same way as they were in The Patience of a De ...more
Brennan LaFaro
Michael Clark’s The Patience of a Dead Man was a creepy, atmospheric haunted house novel. By the time it was over, Clark let us know it wasn’t really over. It leaves the reader ready for Dead Woman Scorned which you might assume is just round 2. The biggest strength of this novel is that the journey you’re taken on is completely unexpected.

The first half of the book deals with the origin story, So to speak, of Mildred Wells. While Clark makes it clear in book one that she’s not your run-of-the
« previous 1 3 next »

• True Crime
  • Scratches
  • Starving Ghosts in Every Thread
  • Crossroads
  • A Bright Enchanted Suffering
  • Monstre ( Volume One)
  • Juniper
  • Bird Box (Bird Box, #1)
  • Unspeakable Things
  • Severed
  • Devil's Creek
  • Wyrd and Other Derelictions
  • In the Heart of the Fire (Nameless: Season One #1)
  • Roseneath
  • Scattered Little Pieces
  • Postcards From a Stranger
  • Altered Helix
  • Escape Clause (Virgil Flowers, #9)
Michael Clark was raised in New Hampshire and lived in the house The Patience of a Dead Man trilogy is based on.

"The Patience of a Dead Man - Book One" is his first novel.
"Dead Woman Scorned - The Patience of a Dead Man - Book Two" and
"Anger is an Acid - The Patience of a Dead Man - Book Three" are also available.

What's next? A story that takes place in a very cold place.

If you like short stories

The Patience of a Dead Man (3 books)
  • The Patience of a Dead Man
  • Anger is an Acid (The Patience of a Dead Man #3)