Start by marking “Her Last Goodnight” as Want to Read:
Her Last Goodnight

Her Last Goodnight

(Detective Finnegan Beck #3)

Eddie stands at his door anxiously waiting for the woman to arrive, touching the engagement ring box in his pocket for luck. He doesn’t hear the footsteps behind him until it’s too late…

Detective Finnegan Beck is called to a crime scene – a remote house near the rural Irish town of Cross Beg – where a dog lies whimpering beside his beloved owner’s body.

At first it
Published January 14th 2020 by Bookouture

To ask other readers questions about Her Last Goodnight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Her Last Goodnight

Start your review of Her Last Goodnight
Louise Wilson
Jan 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Detective Finnegan Beck #3

This is a complex case involving Eddie Kavanagh. No one has a bad word to say against him. But his body has just been found. He's been bludgeoned to death. But this is just the start for Beck as soon the death toll rises.

Finn Beck is still coming to terms with what had happened in his past. With a double murder and a killer to track down, Beck has his work cut out. I like the authors style in writing this series. He know how to set up and develop the plotline perfectly.
Lou
Jan 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Her Last Goodnight is the third book in the Detective Inspector Finnegan Beck series set against the backdrop of the wild and beautiful countryside of the Emerald Isle and set in the fictitious town of Cross Beg, Ireland. Due to the standalone nature of the plot of each novel, it is not necessary to have read any of the previous instalments in order to enjoy this one so new readers can safely jump right on in. When the affable Eddie Kavanagh, an elderly man with no known enemies, is found ...more
Shalini
Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Wow!! Convoluted, dark, and quite a freaky read.

An elderly man was found dead, bashed on his head multiple times, with a diamond ring in his pocket. Detective Inspector Fennigan Beck was called in with his team to investigate.

My first book by author Michael Scanlon, though the third in the series, I was left quite breathless at the inroads this book made with its dark subplots into the depths of human psyche. The killer was a shocker and quite cringe worthy. I had a weird feeling in my stomach
Samantha Gonsalves
Jan 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I discovered Michael Scanlon's Finnegan Beck series in early 2019. interestingly, I started with the second book, loved it, got excited enough to buy the first! So when I discovered Her Last Goodnight on NetGalley, I immediately knew I had to read it! The book begins with a prologue dark and creepy that hooked me right in. I found Her Last Goodnight to be his best one! Its compelling, dark and has many interesting and surprising twists.

Detective Finnegan Beck is called to a crime scene where an
The Cats’ Mother
Her Last Goodnight is the third book in the Inspector Finnegan Beck series set in the (presumably) fictional town of Cross Beg in rural Ireland. This could however easily be read as a stand-alone as each mystery is separate, there are no significant spoilers for the previous books, and this one finally reveals the reasons behind Beck’s alcoholism and screwed up psyche. I enjoyed this more than the previous book, as Scanlon has reined in the elaborate descriptions of every scene that bogged that ...more
Hanlie
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
A solid mystery thriller.

"Death, a vast empty expanse of nothingness, no dreams, no memories, nothing. An eternity."

Eddie Kavanagh lost the live of his life, Emily Tuffy because he was too slow in asking her to marry him but he has a second chance at love......his body is found the next day with the engagement ring still tucked in his pocket. He was killed in a vicious attack that seems very personal. What happened and who was the mysterious woman the ring was meant for?

Detective Finnegan Beck
Lee Husemann
Dec 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Flawed Detective Finnegan Beck and his partner, Claire, work together to solve a string of violent murders in the town of Cross Beg, Ireland. I really enjoyed this book and it had me hooked from the very beginning. There was a lot of action in this book as well as twists and turns which kept me on the edge of my seat until the very end. Thank you NetGalley and Bookouture for the ARC of this very exciting book in exchange for an honest review. If you love a good detective story, this is the book ...more
M.M.
Dec 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Her Last Goodnight is the third book in the Finn Beck series, but it can easily be read as a standalone, so don't let that stop you if you haven't read the first two. Beck is a flawed character, but a very likable one--I find myself rooting for him to not just solve the case, but to make progress on his own personal journey. While his struggles are extreme, they're still easy to relate to, and that's not an easy feat to accomplish.

In this installment, a neighborhood man is found beaten to
Lainy
Jan 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Time taken to read - 1 day

Pages - 334

Publisher - Bookouture

Source - Review copy

Blurb from Goodreads

At first it looks like a burglary gone
Elaine Tomasso
Dec 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
I would like to thank Netgalley and Bookouture for an advance copy of Her Last Goodnight, the third novel to feature DI Finnegan Beck, set in the fictional Irish town of Cross Beg.

DI Beck is called out to the scene of Eddie Gallagher’s murder and it’s a conundrum. Eddie was a harmless, likeable old man so who would want to savagely beat him to death? And why was he all dressed up with an engagement ring in his pocket when no one has heard of a lady friend? The mystery deepens when more people
Denise
Jan 17, 2020 rated it liked it
"Secrets: something kept unknown or unseen by others."

This is the third book in a series featuring Detective Inspector Finnegan Beck. For earl assigned in Dublin, Beck has been posted to Cross Beg due to indiscretions of a romantic nature up in The Smoke. He's in bad shape and suffers from nightmares and a tendency toward alcoholism because of unresolved issues in his family and personal life.

This installment brings Beck a complicated case that begins with the bludgeoning murder of an old man,
CR
Dec 18, 2019 rated it liked it
This is one of those mystery thriller titles that although it kept me guessing until the very end. It wasn't anything new. The characters were subpar and the writing style wasn't to my liking. The story itself was ok. I hadn't read the first two books in this series but I didn't feel like I needed to. I think that a new title might want to be given to this as I didn't see where it tied into the story. Overall, I don't think I will try this author's titles again.
Anna
Dec 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to NetGalley and Bookouture for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an honest review.

“Her Last Goodbye” is Michael Scanlon’s third book in the Finnegan Beck series. Detective Inspector Beck was demoted from his position as An Garda Síochána member in Dublin and relocated to the small Irish town of Cross Beg. He still doesn’t seem to fit in and yearns to return to the big city.

Things are anything but boring in Cross Beg. Beck and his partner Detective Garda Claire Somers
Amanda
Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
'Her Last Goodnight' is the third book to feature the intriguing character of Detective Finnegan Beck. I have read, loved and reviewed the first two books in the series and I couldn't wait to read the third book. Well ladies and gents the wait is over because 'Her Last Goodnight' was released on 14th January 2020. 'Her Last Goodnight' is a blooming brilliant addition to the series and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it but more about that in a bit.
What can I say about Detective Finnegan Beck? He is
Bridget
Her Last Goodnight is the third novel to feature Irish detective Finnegan Beck.

Even though I haven't read the first books in the series - Where She Lies and The Child Before - I was looking forward to reading this, so I was happy to dive straight in, without feeling as though I had suffered from any lack of continuity.

In the normally quiet town of a Cross Beg, Ireland, a local is found murdered and is identified as the body of Eddie Kavanagh. DI Finnegan Beck, and his partner-in-crime Detective
Tracy Wood
Dec 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, 2019
Just as Detective Finnegan Beck thinks he's getting his life back on track, he's even taken up jogging, something happens to send him hurtling back towards the darkness of his past. Eddie Kavanagh, described by those who knew him as a good man, is found beaten to death but all Beck can see is a long forgotten image from his childhood of his own father's body.

As Beck and his partner Claire Somers try to solve their case, he finds the past and present colliding in ways he can't even begin to
Els
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
It’s time to be reunited with DI Beck. I like him a lot. He is not that typical police officer but follows his heart even when it means breaking a few rules.

Although he is struggling with things happening to him in the past, he does stay focussed on the case he is investigating. While others do not look beyond what’s in front of them and come to conclusions that are not satisfying DI Beck, he keeps on digging deeper until he unearths the roots of the problem.

Murders have been commited, but how
Susan Hampson
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
There was only one regret that I had about this book and that was that I hadn’t read the first two in the series. This can be read as a standalone but crikey it is such a darn good read I just want more.
When the body of an older gentleman is found brutally beaten in his home no-one can seem to find a bad word against him but there have been some really weird clues left behind. He had been dressed smartly, had an engagement ring in his pocket and a letter declaring his love to a woman.
DI Finnegan
Tarrah Marie (Wayward Readers)
Dec 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the third book in the Detective Finnegan Beck series and can be read as a stand-alone. Author Michael Scanlon does an excellent job at providing contextual information to those new to the series. His overall writing, scene setting and plot development were captivating. While the trope is familiar, Scanlon provides a moderately paced suspense with intriguing characterization that helps pull away from that familiarity. In addition, the charming Irish town setting gives the storyline ...more
Caroline Venables
Jan 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Although this book is part of a series, it can easily be read as a stand alone.

DI Finnegan Beck is called in to unravel the murder of Eddie Kavanagh, an elderly man who is found dead in his own home. The case gets more puzzling when the man is found to have no known enemies and the initial thought of a burglary is dismissed.

This is a fast paced read that has you guessing all the way through. DI Beck is a complicated protagonist but his troubles add to the story. I really like him as a character
peggy
Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
The third book in the Finn Beck series. He is still coming to terms with what happened in his past. He is also a very good detective rather like a bloodhound. He has a double murder and a killer to find. This author certainly knows how to tell a story. Read this book in one sitting and finally turned the last page in the wee hours. A really good addition to this series.
I would like to thank the author, publisher and Netgalley for the ARC in return for giving an honest review.
Martha Brindley
Dec 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a very good series of books by Michael Scanlon. Set in a quiet Irish town and featuring detective Finn Beck, who is investigating the murder of an elderly man. It was a good solid read which kept me interested to the end. I liked the writing style and the interesting characters. I hope there is another one to come in this series. Thanks to Net Galley for my ARC.
MsSilence68
Jan 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is the third fabulously cracking read in the Det. Finnegan Beck series. Beck would rather be living back in the city of Dublin but he is still in the rural town of Cross Beg. It is coming up to Christmas, the time of year Beck really struggles with but he must investigate the brutal murder of Eddie who was found outside his own home by the local postman. During the investigation the detective is definitely put through the wringer so I found this quite sad in parts. There are plenty of ...more
Jan 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic, thrilling, edge of your seat read! Michael Scanlon has outdone himself with his latest book, the third in his Detective Finnegan Beck series. Brilliantly twisted and keeps you hooked until the end. Can't wait for next installment!
Faith Hurst-Bilinski
Jan 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Another murder procedural. I preferred the first book in the series to this one.
Eileen Kelly
Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Third book in the series. I've loved each one. It may be a little cliched with a troubled, alcoholic lead detective, but a cliche is a cliche for good reason - because it works. As it does here. Atmospheric, thoughtful and insightful into the human psyche with an original plot line, odd ball but believable characters, an absorbing, thriller of a read. A definite 5 stars from me.
Jana
Dec 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Very descriptive writing style. Typical murder mystery book that leaves you guessing until the very end. Wasn’t super exciting but wasn’t terrible either.
Sandi Wallace
Dec 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
More in my next Good Reads blog at https://www.sandiwallace.com/blog/. Advance review copy received with thanks to publisher and NetGalley.
Ann
Dec 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, netgalley
Number 3 in the series and Beck is as wonderfully complex and flawed as before. I enjoy this series but I must admit I found number two a little hard going so was not sure how I’d find this but I needn’t have worried. Beck appears to be in a better place - or is he? Brilliant plot. Small town Ireland in all its claustrophobic glory but with modern day crimes. The subplots continue to delight as do the characters, it’s like helplessly watching a train crash - great stuff!
Gordon Mcghie
Jan 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
The third book to feature Detective Finnegan Beck but my introduction to the series. It’s always a bit of a worry to jump into a series and not be sure if you need to know the background of the characters to enjoy the newest title. Having not read the first two books I can honestly say I didn’t feel there were aspects of the stories where I had no idea what was going on. Important facts and characters were introduced in what felt a natural way so I didn’t feel detail was being shoe-horned into ...more

• The Stranger's Wife
  • Why She Ran
  • The Girls in the Lake (Beth Adams #2)
  • The Blossom Twins (Detective Natalie Ward #5)
  • The Missing Letters of Mrs Bright
  • Her Secret Past
  • The Man She Married
  • Tell Me Lies (Detective Max Carter #1)
  • The Argument
  • Winter Dark
  • Her Dark Heart
  • Snow Creek (Detective Megan Carpenter, #1)
  • The Murder House (DCI Matilda Darke, #5)
  • Perfect Kill (D.I. Callanach, #6)
  • Blood Family
  • The Perfect Mother
  • Her Daughter's Cry
  • The Body in the Snow (DCI Craig Gillard Crime Thrillers Book 4)

Detective Finnegan Beck (3 books)
  • Where She Lies (Detective Finnegan Beck, #1)
  • The Child Before