Start by marking “Heartbreak Bay (Stillhouse Lake #5)” as Want to Read:
Heartbreak Bay (Stillhouse Lake #5)

(Stillhouse Lake #5)

They’re hunting a killer so silent, so invisible, that his unspeakable crimes are the only proof he exists.

A car submerged in a remote pond. The bodies of two girls strapped into their seats. The mystery of their mother, vanished without a trace, leads Gwen Proctor and Kezia Claremont into dangerous territory.

On the surface, Gwen’s life is good—two children approaching adu
Published March 9th 2021 by Thomas & Mercer

To ask other readers questions about Heartbreak Bay, please sign up.
Ann It CAN be a stand alone, but you'll be sorry you didn't start from the 1st book. They are really good and I hate that this is the last one, and sadder…moreIt CAN be a stand alone, but you'll be sorry you didn't start from the 1st book. They are really good and I hate that this is the last one, and sadder still because of the reason.(less)
Lisa Jordan The author passed away on November 1, 2020 after a battle with cancer. I don't believe there was another book completed in this series. It is most lik…moreThe author passed away on November 1, 2020 after a battle with cancer. I don't believe there was another book completed in this series. It is most likely the last installment.(less)

Start your review of Heartbreak Bay (Stillhouse Lake #5)
Meredith ( on Semi-Hiatus until February)
“Choose Kindness”

Heartbreak Bay
is a suspenseful thriller about a deranged serial killer who is playing a sick and twisted game.

Book #5 in the Stillhouse Lake series finds Gwen and Sam trying to create a “normal” life for Lanny and Connor. But of course, their lives don't stay normal for long, as they soon become the targets of a serial killer.

Narrated by Kezia, Sam, and Gwen, I appreciated the lack of Lanny and Conner’s voices. I enjoyed Kezia playing a larger role and learning more about h
Nenia ✨ I yeet my books back and forth ✨ Campbell
I want to give Gwen the benefit of the doubt but she SERIOUSLY needs to stop going to places with names like Childmurder Ridge or Doublehomicide Lagoon.
Susanne  Strong
Sep 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Another brilliant addition to the “Stillhouse Lake” series!

When Kezia Claremont finds the bodies of two children strapped in a car submerged in a pond, her heart breaks, especially when it is discovered that their mother is nowhere to be found. Though the police are investigating, Kezia knows she needs the help of her best friend and Private Detective, Gwen Proctor. Little does Kezia know that investigating the case causes all kinds of trouble.

Of course, Gwen is no stranger to trouble. Being t
Marialyce (absltmom, yaya)
Loved it!

Once again Rachel Caine has shown what a true thriller should be! The unfortunate end of this series because of Ms Caine's death makes this reader quite sad.

Ms Caine showed us, through this series, the development of a strong woman. Gwen Proctor has faced such adversity being once married to a serial killer and although he died, she still carries with her the stigma of that marriage. Many think she was his accomplice and that she knew of his crimes and they pursue her and her children.
Liz
Jan 26, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Heartbreak Bay is the fifth in the Stillhouse Lake series. This is not a good series to read out of order. Caine doesn’t waste a lot of words on Gwen’s background story, and it’s important. Plus, an important part of the series is watching Gwen grow from victim to a self realized, vital woman.
Gwen and Sam have moved to Knoxville and things seem to be going well. But as Gwen observes, Melvin is like a zombie and keeps springing back to life. Everyone in the family is getting notes. Meanwhile, he
Pat (not getting friend updates currently)
I know, I know - 2 five star reviews in a row, but this series...

I am both happy and sad to be writing this review. Happy because I was thrilled to get this arc, I have loved this series. Sad because it is the last book Rachel Caine ever wrote since she has sadly passed away.

This was another fabulous entry in the series. Gwen Proctor’s detective friend, Kezia, catches a case where a car found in a pond has two little girls, about 12 months old, strapped into car seats in the back. They are dead
Carrie
Nov 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Review coming soon.

R.I.P. Rachel Caine/Roxanne Longstreet you will be missed. :(
Sandra Hoover
Heartbreak Bay is the fifth book in the Stillhouse Lake series and another superb addition to the series. I'll say upfront that while each of these books will standalone, you're missing a great reading experience and a lot of character development if you skip any of the books. My advice: Read in order!

This story opens with Gwen, Sam, Lanny and Connor living an almost normal life in their new home a little distance away from Stillhouse Lake. It appears the vigilantes have finally focused their at
Ink_Drinker
Sep 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Rachel Caine's Stillhouse Lake series!! When I saw it was a “read now” book on NetGalley, I couldn’t believe it!! I’ve read all the books in the series and was very excited about the fifth book coming out in March. Even though I have a lot of other books on my TBR stack, I put them all aside for this one!!! I started the book and stayed up all night to finish it!

Each book in the Stillhouse Lake series are stand-alones, but you really get to know the characters if you start from the beginn
DeAnn
Oct 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
4 chilling stars

I started this series about 3 years ago and I have eagerly read each one and grown to love Gwen and her two children and now Sam. This one is #5 in the series. Filled with murder, danger, mysterious events and the trademark Rachel Caine easy-to-read and get engrossed in writing style. This one took a bit to get going and I was worried it was too formulaic, the second half was outstanding!!

Now a private investigator, Gwen has put her difficult past behind her and is building a gre
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
This was so amazing! Full review to come closer to release date.

*EDITED TO ADD REVIEW:

This is going to be such a hard review to write, especially now knowing this was the very last book that Rachel wrote before she passed. I have loved this author since the very beginning and I am so sad that the world lost such an amazing person and author. It is with bittersweet sadness that I write this review and hope to do the book, series, and this author justice.

This was an amazing addition to the series.
Fiona
Sep 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
I wavered so hard on whether to round my 4.5 up or down, that I might end up changing it by the end of the review. But once again, Rachel Caine has written a book that I really, really enjoyed; with some minor bumps in the road that didn't interfere too hard with having a great time.

All the books in the Stillhouse Lake series stand alone, but it's worth reading the whole series for context - and because, if this sounds like something you'd enjoy, there's not many series out there that are as wel
Teresa
Sep 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was stunned and excited when I noticed Heartbreak Bay, the fifth book in the Stillhouse Lake series in the Read Now section of NetGalley. Although I already had several books lined up to read, I signed up for this one pronto as I am a recent convert to this series and Rachel Caine's books in particular, and couldn’t wait for this next installment.

For those who haven’t read any of these books, they are about Gwen Proctor FKA Gina Royal, unsuspecting wife of serial killer Melvin Royal. She has
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
First, let me say I was so sad to hear of Rachel Caine's passing. She was most definitely a catalyst that revived my book reading addiction with her Chicago Vampire series back when all of us horny middle-aged moms were bookswapping like crazies in order to fill our perverted fetishy minds.

I decided to break my own standing policy regarding reading past #1 in a series pretty much out of pure curiosity of exactly how this one could continue back when it was offered as a "Read Now" over on NetGal
Barbara Schultz
This is the fifth and last in the Stillhouse Lake series.
So sad that Rachel Caine pen name for Roxanne Longstreet Conrad lost her battle with cancer on November 1. 2020. Yes! She died months before the release of this novel. Be sure to read the Author’s Note at the end of this novel. I guarantee it will bring tears to your eyes.

When I started this series it evoked every emotion in me. I could not put it down. My comment after reading the first was that I was glad it wasn’t super long as my hea
menna hafez
#HeartbreakBay #NetGalley

Special thanks to NetGalley and Thomas & Mercer for providing me with ARC.

This is the first book to me by Rachel Caine
and i have kept hearing about Stillhouse Lake series but don't have the chance to read it.

I really enjoyed it and i will try to read the other books in these series
Diana
Jan 18, 2021 rated it really liked it
Heartbreak Bay is Rachel Caine’s 5th book in the Stillhouse Lake series ... and also her last book which is very sad to know. Prayers for her family and friends.

Though a sad mystery. This story has you guessing right from the beginning. Kicking off with a woman driving who winds up driving her car into a pond and drowning two children who are in the back seat. There’s a internet person wanting to make her life miserable and also her children and family. He will not rest until Gwen pays for what
AℳYⒾ ♔♚♛Cofounder of Teens against YA books♛♚♔
Then
This one has to be the most anticipated book of 2021

now
I read Herbreak Bay back to back with The Girl Before by J.P. Delaney and I enjoyed this one more cuz this author writes great relationships. It's final book of the series, but I hope there's more.
Montzalee Wittmann
Feb 09, 2021 rated it really liked it
Stillhouse Lake
by Rachel Caine
This book gave me a dreary vibe from page one. Something ominous was going to happen any minute, every minute, I just felt it. That's the mindset Caine easily put me in. I was terrified for the PI, the cop, for the babies strapped in the back of the car, for everyone that was investigated or interviewed. This monster, this mastermind, was pure evil and was pulling strings that was causing serious damage. Both of the main families were terrified but des
Bam cooks the books ;-)
The fifth and final book in the Stillhouse Lake thriller series due to the author's passing from a rare cancer last November. RIP, much beloved author.

In this latest book, Norton (TN) police detective Kezia Claremont involves her friend Gwen Proctor in her capacity as a private investigator in a case involving the disappearance of a young woman whose twin daughters were found drowned, strapped in their car seats. She asks Gwen to dig into the young woman's past, and as Gwen does, she discovers a
Jen
Dec 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
I got my hands on this book and dropped everything to immediately dive in! I love this series!

Heartbreak Bay was another fast paced adrenaline ride. The suspense ramps up and up until POW! 💥 The reader is left with one epic, action packed conclusion.

In this installment Gwen joins up with Kezia to find the missing mom of two girls, found dead in a car in a submerged pond. These two will stop at nothing to find the killer and the missing mom...unless someone stops them first.

It’s always so nice t
Marta Cox
This was as bittersweet to read as it was gripping. This is the final book written by this much missed author and I will be blunt and say I wasn’t looking forward to reading this. Oh not because I thought it would be a bad book but purely because I knew it could be heartbreaking. This series has been a triumphant suspense filled ride that shocks, horrifies and reveals the twisted underbelly of the monsters we all live beside however unknowingly.
Our heroine Gwen has battled many enemies but perh
Chandra Claypool (WhereTheReaderGrows)
"There's no time in a woman's life that isn't dangerous, and that's just a fact of life."

I have missed Gwen, Sam and their family. Their past has come to haunt them again... but really it's their continuous present and inevitable future. I feel so hard for this family. In this continuation, we also get to learn more about Kez and now we have two very strong female leads with their amazing supporting men and I truly love all their dynamics.

"I'm a suspicious bitch, but I've found it works for me."
Kristie
Oct 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was another great addition to the Stillhouse Lake series. Unfortunately, the series will not continue due to the sad passing of the author after a battle with cancer in 2020.

I really enjoyed reading Gwen and her family's story to this point. In this installment, I liked the addition of Kezia's perspective. I also love that Caine has written strong, brave, and intelligent lead women.

I would recommend this series, but you should start from the beginning. There is a lot of backstory and chara
menna hafez
Sep 25, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Special thanks to NetGalley and Thomas & Mercer for providing me with ARC.

This is the first book to me by Rachel Caine

I really enjoyed it and i will try to read the other books in these series
Monika Sadowski
Nov 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a great book full of action. Not even one dull moment. Rachel Caine did it again and the series about Gwen it’s getting better and better. I can’t wait for another book. Keep writing Rachel!

I received a digital copy of this novel from Netgalley in exchange for my honest opinion.
Nica's Musings
Sep 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Heartbreak Bay by Rachel Caine

Expected Publication Date on March 9, 2021

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Serial killer vigilante

“It’s so easy at a distance to pass judgment, to feel satisfaction when someone else receives pain you think they deserve.”

Heartbreak Bay protagonists Gwen Porter and Kezia Claremont are on a hunt of the person who's gone on a killing spree in small town Norton, Tennessee. Gwen is a missing persons private investigator. She has two teenage children–Lanny and Connor. Kezia, ak
Alena
3.5 stars rounded up because of my love for this series.

It saddens me to call this book my least favorite in Stillhouse Lake series but I still enjoyed reading it and would highly recommend it to anyone looking for gripping thrillers with strong main characters. This final installment was a bit too slow for me and I was surprised to find myself at 60% mark and feeling like nothing major had happened yet. The ending definitely made up for the slower pacing but the unfolding events were also a lit
4.5 / 5 stars

Heartbreak Bay is the final book in the Stillhouse Lake series.

It was definitely hard not to cry while reading this book. I've had the book for a while. But I put off reading it because I knew that it would make me sad. But I also knew that it would make me happy.

Gwen is such an amazing heroine. So strong and fierce. And I have truly enjoyed reading her adventures.

The book starts with a chilling prologue. And then alternates POVs between Gwen and Kezia (with Sam narrating a few chap
Tammy
Mar 27, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: release-2021
I’ve read all five novels and sadly with Rachel’s passing this is the last book in the Stillwater Lake series. It’s phenomenal as are all that came before. She gave life to strong independent female characters with vibrant unputdownable stories. I absolutely loved this series, love her writing, we have lost a truly gifted author. Rachel Caine will be missed. 💔

• The Breakdown
  • Every Breath
  • Drown Her Sorrows (Bree Taggert, #3)
  • And Then There Were None
  • The Vines
  • The Open House
  • Daylight (Atlee Pine, #3)
  • The Newcomer
  • The Good Sister
  • The Lost Apothecary
  • All That Glitters
  • Her Last Holiday
  • Five Little Words
  • The Last Thing He Told Me
  • Warm Bodies (Warm Bodies, #1)
  • The Girl She Wanted
  • The Four Winds
  • The Project

Stillhouse Lake (5 books)
  • Stillhouse Lake (Stillhouse Lake, #1)
  • Killman Creek (Stillhouse Lake, #2)
  • Wolfhunter River (Stillhouse Lake, #3)
  • Bitter Falls (Stillhouse Lake #4)