Start by marking “The Lending Library” as Want to Read:
The Lending Library

The Lending Library

A heartwarming debut novel about a daydreamer who gives her town, and herself, an amazing gift: a lending library in her sunroom.

When the Chatsworth library closes indefinitely, Dodie Fairisle loses her sanctuary. How is a small-town art teacher supposed to cope without the never-ending life advice and enjoyment that books give her? Well, when she’s as resourceful and

Published July 1st 2020 by Lake Union Publishing
Featured Notes & Highlights

To ask other readers questions about The Lending Library, please sign up.
Shannon Wouldn't be my recommendation for that age. Some innuendo/references to sex, some language and some heavy topics - death, adoption, homosexuality - ar…moreWouldn't be my recommendation for that age. Some innuendo/references to sex, some language and some heavy topics - death, adoption, homosexuality - are talked about.(less)

Start your review of The Lending Library
JLR
Jun 04, 2020 rated it did not like it
Tina
Jun 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a contemporary/chick lit. I choose this book for my Amazon First Reads kindle edition book for the month of June. I am excited to pick this book up. This book is all about a woman trying to do everything by herself. She also finds out that very soon she may not be able to have kids. Her sister also cannot have kids, so she was adopting. I had troubling getting pregnant, but after 5 years of trying I was blessed to get pregnant. I did think about adopting, but it costs so much. I love rea ...more
Undomiel Books (Rosie)
Jun 05, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: contemporary
2.5*
This book was okay. I liked the premise, and thought the first half was great, but then all this relationship and baby drama kicked in, and the original premise kind of lost its way a bit. A lot of elements I loved at first, such as Elmira's plot line got dropped, and then just mentioned every 60 pages of so in a very vague sense.

Great idea, I think the author just threw too much else in, so it lost it's way, and ending up quite boring in the second half.
Kathleen Edge
Jun 09, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I thought about giving up on this book quite early on, I wish I had. Do, as in dough, not do, is a selfish, judgemental, baby obsessed mess that is really good at naming books she once read. All of her relationships (with anyone) are just terrible. Just save your time and give this one a miss.
Jessica
Jun 07, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: owned, free, ebook
White saviorism: the book. (It's not as bad as The Help, but...you'll see.)

This is a Kindle First book for June. Within pages I could tell it was going to a REALLY NOT GOOD place. The main character, Dodie, and all of her friends/family are white. The Black people, and other characters that are coded to be of color, are props in their story of being "good people."

Dodie starts a library out of her house, because the children in her town can't afford books after the public library closes. This is
Whistlers Mom
Jun 19, 2020 rated it it was ok
"The Perpetual Teen with Ageing Ovaries." A Grimm Sisters' fairy tale.

People hired to write book blurbs today must have all dreamed of becoming doctors. Every Kindle First selection this month is "Heart-warming" or "heart-stopping." "Spine-chilling" or "gut-wrenching." Covid is raging, the unemployment rate is soaring, and there's rioting in the streets. My spine is sufficiently chilled and my guts are already wrenched and I'm afraid to take my blood pressure. In the absence of a non-fiction sel
Elizabeth
I admit — I did not finish this book. I wanted to like it. Who of us wouldn't want to read a book about libraries? Below are the reasons I didn't finish it:
1 - The writing was immature in my opinion. I felt like I was reading a children's or a very young adult book.
2 - The plot was too simplistic. It had no substance.
3 - I couldn't identify with even one of the characters. They were, to me, younger than their stage of life would seem.

I think this author had a good idea, but it did not come to f
MaximustheDextrous
I have never understood the need to finish a book solely for the purpose of writing a bad Goodreads review until I read this book. I picked it up as a light vacation read from Amazon first reads and couldn't put it down, but for all the wrong reasons. Following a 30 something single woman leaving the city for her small town where she creates a lending library while teaching art to children and wishing for a child of her own? I should have loved everything about this book. But then I found myself ...more
Chris
Feb 04, 2021 rated it did not like it
The first few pages were promising and then it went downhill and downhill it went, real fast. Any book with library in title or bookshop or other kind of “shop/store” ALWAYS draws me in.

Our main character, Dodie, (yes she’s a daydreamer) has some personal issues although she thinks everyone else has issues. Well, some of them do, but she basically wins the grand prize!

Wow, she is so self centered and blames everyone else for her despair. Yet, she on her own, creates an unauthorized “public com
kilB
Jun 30, 2020 rated it did not like it
The best things I can say about this book is that it ended and I didn’t pay for it.

Terrible. Main character is awful and not likeable in the slightest. All other characters are completely 2 dimensional - so far as I can tell the romantic interest has nice hair (and oddly erotic wrists?) and not a single personality trait except....existing? There are a million other formulaic romance novels you can read that won’t make you want to through your kindle out the window.
Jennifer Gold
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bibliophiles of all sorts are sure to fall in love with Dodie and everyone she befriends along her bookish journey. The Lending Library is a charming read full of heart, hope, and books.
Pamela
Jun 24, 2020 rated it did not like it
Jeeves Reads Romance
Great... then frustrating

There was a very significant portion of this book where I thought I'd be rating it as 5 stars, but then it slowly started to unravel. Let me start with the good: this is definitely one of the better First Reads selections I've made (at least for the first two-thirds of the book). It starts off light and charming with a fun, small town feel and a perpetually sunny heroine. Dodie is an art teacher who establishes a lending library when the community's library undergoes ext
Richard Derus
I RECEIVED THIS BOOK VIA NETGALLEY. THANK YOU.

SO, in this #BlackLivesMatter and #MeToo moment, why on *EARTH* pick up a privileged white lady's story of how Becoming A Mother and fulfilling the needs of her wacky New England neighbors for light reading and doing it all by herself dammit!!?

Because it was deeply silly and mostly fun and, while *extremely* not in step with the moment, I needed it right now. No, I don't have a lot of patience for Motherhood Completed Me stories. (view spoiler)
Elly
Jun 02, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn’t love it, but I wanted to. The first third was really really great, Dodie was one of those go-getters, light hearted and generally charming. She grew the lending library and ate many wonderful baked foods, had a lovely community around her and it all seemed really great. I was sure she’d manage her clear goals and any upcoming conflict in a way that resonated (spoiler: not the case).

What was not great was everything after. Like her being spineless and getting chewed out by Maddie and Ken
Roberta
Meh....
It was much more about a woman's biological clock and chest-heaving romance than about the lending library, which was mingled in and out, but clearly not the primary focus of the story.
I did enjoy the library portions as well as many of the book references but overall it wasn't really a page turner.
Rachel G
Jun 09, 2020 rated it did not like it
I wanted so badly to like this book but the main character just came across as a whiny insecure immature woman, the love interest was not interesting, and I didn't love that the main character called a baby's hair a "fro". I'd give this one a pass. ...more
Marianne
Sep 22, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2.5★s
The Lending Library is the first novel by American author, Aliza Fogelson. After a major disappointment in her art career, Dodie Fairisle quits the anonymity of New York City, and the undermining of her ego by her narcissistic boyfriend, and heads to the small Connecticut hometown of her art school friend.

Soon, she has bought (or her parents have bought her) a quirky but thoroughly charming little house in Chatsworth, has a position teaching art at the elementary school, enjoys the town’s
linda hole
I read the synopsis for this book, the lending library. And I my first reaction was , i nerd to read this book. Because i am a sucker for Reading books about libraries, bookstores and about people that loves to read. But in my opinion the book was everything else thank the thing i listed above. That might not be a bad thing. But the book was not for me. For me it was too predictable. I felt like the author had been let to down by its editor. Such a Shame. Because it was a good concept and the Ma ...more
Kate Oakley
Jun 12, 2020 rated it it was ok
Good start but selfish protagonist frustrating by end

Dodie starts as an interesting character with a rich backstory but her actions towards her boyfriend, friends and family and her refusal to confront or even sincerely acknowledge her problematic and often childish behaviours (suspect therapy would have helped for some!) ruined this book for me. At around 75% of the way through, it turned from enjoyment of the lovely descriptive prose and cosy depictions of a newcomer’s perspective on joining a
Jen
Jun 22, 2020 rated it it was ok
This was a lighter read and made for a great palate cleanser. The writing was a bit clunky and the plot didn’t flow that well. Terabithia is a great book but using it as a character name kind of stunted the story, as it doesn’t really roll off of the tongue. Parts of the story moved along slow while others raced past. I loved the book references and my bookworm heart loved that aspect of the story! Overall, a quick lighter read that book lovers will enjoy. 2.5⭐️
Melanie
Jun 02, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I got this as a kindle first reads book. I gave up on this one. It seemed too American for me to connect with and the characters came across as rather immature and annoying.
Jason Pettus
Jun 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: emo, funny, contemporary
Early into the page count of Aliza Fogelson's The Lending Library, my pick this month from the Amazon Prime Reads service (in which Prime members get a free copy of one out of eight books recently published by Amazon's own publishing wing), we're being told of our plucky hero Dodie Fairisle and her recent past as a hipster edgy artist in Brooklyn while dating a noted fashion designer, and how she grew sick of it and instead accepted a random opportunity to teach art to grade schoolers in a small ...more
Loree Johns
Jun 11, 2020 rated it did not like it
Barely started and could see it had characters I don’t wish to follow. So I ceased reading.
Cynthia Egbert
Sep 30, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
Improbable and contrived cheez balls is the best way to sum up this reading experience. This was bad. Not The Irresistible Blueberry Bake Shop and Cafe bad, but still pretty bad. The only redeeming factor was the fact that there was so much about books, therefore the two stars rather than one. But even that was dicey at times. I mean take this scenario...a hunky construction worker walks into the lending library and says, "To tell you the truth, I'm not much of a reader but could I get a suggest ...more
Carol
Jun 04, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting idea at first, but I was dismayed at how many times our lead character was supposed to have her family and friends demean her and dismiss her dreams. I guess we were supposed to be okay with it, considering how many times Dodie apologized, but I had had enough. I skimmed the last quarter. It did not get better.
Jennifer Gold
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Susan Parodi
Any book that includes names of other books in its story has to be good. An easy read, nice plot, and of course, the happy ending. An Amazon first read selection.
Kristina Rasmussen
Jan 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I haven’t been sucked into a book like this in a long time. I just wanted to keep reading! It was very relatable (maybe too much at times) and full of love and heartache. I loved all the characters and really appreciated the growth throughout.
Saar The Book owl
Feb 20, 2021 rated it it was ok
Shelves: uno-2021, e-t
So....The blurb of the book got me, this passage at the beginning got me too, because that's my feelings about books: 'I was now holding the book innocently in my hands, like a normal library-goer. Which I was. Except for my overwhelmingly passionate desire to read books and reread them, hold them, surround myself with them, and yes . . . sometimes even smell them. It wasn’t just the heady scent of glue in the spine. It was also the scent of the pages—timeworn or slicked with new ink—and the old ...more

• The Magnolia Story
  • Changes That Heal: The Four Shifts That Make Everything Better…And That Anyone Can Do
  • Number the Stars