Start by marking “The Detectivists: Dragon Ripper” as Want to Read:
The Detectivists: Dragon Ripper

The Detectivists: Dragon Ripper

Astraia Holmes, sister of Sherlock, is baffled by a series of bizarre and brutal murders committed by a dragon-like assailant, and desperately wishing to impress her brother and solve the crimes she teams up with a mysterious and brilliant young woman, Madeleine Barquist. Sherlock suspects an ancient malevolence at work and he fears for Astraia's safety. The signs point to ...more
Published October 27th 2019 by Del Sol Press

To ask other readers questions about The Detectivists, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Detectivists

Start your review of The Detectivists: Dragon Ripper
Nan
May 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Do you like to solve mysteries?

If so, then read the book entitled, "The Detectivists: Dragon Ripper" by Melanie Bacon.

This book is a page turner!

Sherlock Holmes is a character in this story! His sister, Astraia Holmes and her friend, Madelaine "Maddie" Barquist meet at the first crime scene and continue to work together to solve the mystery. This mystery is set in the nineteenth century in London. Unfortunately, people are being killed in the Whitechapel alley.

Astraia works at the Whitechapel Li
Adam E.
May 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-stars
Dragon Ripper is an exciting murder mystery that is inspired by Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes novels. It takes place in the Whitechapel area of East London in the late 1800's. The story is narrated by Maddie Barquist, a horse Veterinarian for the local Police department. By chance, she meets Astraia Holmes where a gruesome and unusual murder has recently taken place in an alley near an opium den. Maddie soon finds herself assisting Ms. Holmes with her investigation of the dead woman.
The
Jana Sawyer
May 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing

I have always loved the classics. Classic mysteries, novels, etc. and cozy mysteries and light novels now because I don’t have as much time to read as I once did. I was a big Sherlock Holmes fan so I try to read those when I can and have to admit, most just miss the mark. They are still entertaining and good but not as great as Conan Doyle.
I was intrigued and excited to read this new story featuring Sherlock Holmes and probably Watson but not using them as the main characters. These main charact
the-librarian
May 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I read all of the Sherlock Holmes books and stories as a kid so I must admit to being predisposed to really liking this novel. That said, it far exceeded all of my expectations and was a very entertaining, fun, intriguing, and interesting read.

The protagonist is Sherlock Holmes’ sister, Astraia. Always feeling like she is living life in his larger-than-life shadow, she seeks a way to impress her brother by solving a string of murders. She teams up with Madeleine Barquist, who happens to be the d
Maureen
Jan 18, 2021 rated it really liked it
In “Dragon Ripper,” Melanie Bacon has written a fun, adventurous Victorian mystery that teams up lead character Madeleine Barquist, daughter of Jack the Ripper, with Astraia Holmes, sister of Sherlock and Mycroft Holmes. There is humor mixed with shudder-worthy scenes that keeps the pages turning. Bacon describes elements of the societal hierarchies for women, Chinese immigrants, animals, and the teeming London populace with sensory-inducing descriptions so that I was quickly hearing, smelling a ...more
Eszter Szika
Jun 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
As I love all kind of Sherlock Holmes stories, starting with Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s novels to the newly remade series on television, this book was a must have read.
I have to admit, it didn’t disappoint me. We get the female version of Sherlock-Watson duo in Sherlock’s sister, Astraia Holmes and Madelaine Barquist. A page turner, exciting story, for riddle lovers.

Thank you Librarything for the free copy.
Lester

• Grand Masquerade: A Supernatural Suspense Novel
  • The Seven Epaulettes of Leadership
  • The Kings Death
  • Einstein's Raven: A Science Fiction Spy Thriller
  • Deliverance from Stupidparty Land: How to Eradicate the Destructive Forces Destroying American Democracy (StupidpartyLand, #3)
  • The Customer of the Future: 10 Guiding Principles for Winning Tomorrow's Business
  • Jesus Christ, His Life and Mine: The Story of Jesus and How It Applies to Us in the Twitter Era
  • The Future Leader: 9 Skills and Mindsets to Succeed in the Next Decade
  • Bad Love Strikes
  • Urban Marriage 14: Atlanta Mom Goes MAGC (Moms Against Gay Cults)
  • I HATE Your Prophecy
  • Molecules, Madness, and Malaria
  • Hallowed Halls
  • The Xanders Case (A Markham Sisters Cozy Mystery Novella Book 24)
  • Sister of the Chosen One
  • Death at the Little Bighorn: A New Look at Custer, His Tactics, and the Tragic Decisions Made at the Last Stand
  • Plantation Shudders (Cajun Country Mystery, #1)

News & Interviews

Looking for a fictional meet-cute in the new year? We've got some steamy novels for you to snuggle up with, including Casey McQuiston's...