Start by marking “Into the Fire (Orphan X, #5)” as Want to Read:
Into the Fire (Orphan X, #5)

Into the Fire

(Orphan X #5)

4.47  ·  Rating details ·  8,458 ratings  ·  1,022 reviews
The New York Times bestselling Orphan X returns—facing his own uncertain future and undertaking one last mission.

Taken from a group home at age twelve, Evan Smoak was trained as an off-the-books government assassin: Orphan X. After breaking with the Program, he reinvented himself as The Nowhere Man, a figure shrouded in shadows who helps the truly desperate. But the govern
Audible Audio, Unabridged
Published January 28th 2020 by Brilliance Audio

To ask other readers questions about Into the Fire, please sign up.
Paige Turner If the last sentence in this book is any indication, then no it's not the last book in the Orphan series.…moreIf the last sentence in this book is any indication, then no it's not the last book in the Orphan series.(less)
Bruce Alter I've enjoyed 18 of his 22 books. I need to go back and read Tell No Lies, You're Next, and Minutes to Burn. The only one that didn't fit my interest w…moreI've enjoyed 18 of his 22 books. I need to go back and read Tell No Lies, You're Next, and Minutes to Burn. The only one that didn't fit my interest was They're Watching, actually stopped reading after the 4th chapter. Hurwitz is on my top-authors list and I look forward to each January because it means I get to read another of his excellent works.(less)

·  8,458 ratings  ·  1,022 reviews

Start your review of Into the Fire (Orphan X, #5)
Paromjit
Gregg Hurwitz writes what looks to be his final addition to his excellent thriller series featuring his all action man, Evan Smoak, Orphan X, hero to the desperate who have nowhere else to go as he comes to their aid as The Nowhere Man. So right, you are going to have to park your sense of disbelief before embarking on this spectacular train ride of thrills after thrills, as The Nowhere Man steps for the last time into the fire in his efforts to gain absolution from his past as a assassin, hunge ...more
Meredith ( on Semi-Hiatus until February)
My favorite in the series (so far)!

"He looks like an ordinary man. He is not."
PattyMacDotComma
4.5★
‘They say being brave doesn’t mean you’re not scared,’ Max said. ‘It means you’re scared and do it anyway.’

Evan halted. He didn’t answer. But he turned around. Max scratched at his neck, his fingernails raising red streaks. He was backlit, the shadows catching on his face, veiling his eyes.

‘Is that . . . is that true?’

Evan said, ‘I’m not scared yet.

Well I sure was! Often, and so many times! This is number 5 in the Orphan X series, and the best so far, I think, but I had to just take it on
Julie
Into the Fire by Gregg Horwitz is a 2020 Minotaur publication.

Supercharged, "Smoaking" hot, action and adventure!

Evan Smoak- aka- Orphan X- aka- The Nowhere Man, has come to a crossroads of sorts. He’s ready to explore life on his own terms now. But will his enemies and those who need his specialized help allow him to retire?

In this fifth installment of the series, Evan is summoned to help Max Merriweather, who is on the run from the ruthless assassins who just murdered his cousin.

Hoping thi
JanB
I read and enjoyed the first book in the series, Orphan X and although I usually don’t read a series out of order, I decided to jump into this latest release. It worked well as a standalone, and now I have the pleasure of going back and reading the three I missed.

Evan Smoak, AKA Orphan X, AKA The Nowhere Man, is a man with a troubled childhood, saved by the government as a 12 year old and trained and used for their own dark purposes. The same government who then wanted to eliminate him. Now his
Phrynne
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5000-2020
Okay, before you start reading this book make sure you have left all of your sense of realism outside the room. You will not need it. This one is for those of us who enjoy super heroes, crazy amounts of action and no concern for the bad guy who always dies anyway.

Evan Smoak is our super hero, a man who apparently can go days without sleep, continues to function beyond human levels even with a concussion and can take on any number of baddies in a fight and still win. On the other hand he only kil
Barbara
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

In this 5th book in the 'Orphan X' series, the death of a forensic accountant enmeshes Evan Smoak in a fight against formidable opponents. The book provides enough background information to be read as a standalone.

*****

When Evan Smoak was a spindly twelve-year-old living in an orphanage - where he slept on the floor between bunks - he was 'rescued' and placed in a black ops program that trained orphans to be highly skilled assassins. Evan was dubbed Orphan X.

After doing his assassin job for ma
Tim
Mar 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW! Incredible!! Fantastic!!! 10 of 10 stars
Susanne  Strong
Heart Stopping and Completely Thrilling!

Just when Evan Smoak has decided to turn over a new leaf and stay out of trouble, he finds himself in the thick of it. This time, helping a man whose cousin was murdered and whose family has completely turned against him. A man named Max Merriweather who is now on someone’s hit list for unknown reasons.

Evan would like nothing more to just walk away from it all and yet, it is not in him. He is a man who lives by a code.

“Into the Fire” started off on a bi
Theresa Alan
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Evan Smoak, also known as Orphan X, also known as the Nowhere Man, is a killing machine. He knows all kinds of hand-to-hand combat fighting techniques and every weapon ever made. But he only kills bad people, and I find him to actually be an inspirational character, strangely.

Hurwitz is great at getting his readers to sympathize with his characters immediately. They are good people with some serious life-or-death problem that Evan Smoak as the Nowhere Man can help out with. In this fifth, and I
Dave
If you are looking for an exciting thriller that will keep you up all night with non-stop action, Into the Fire, the fifth Orphan X novel, is just your ticket. Hurwitz fills each page with excitement. If you are new to the series, Evan Smoak (Orphan X), is an ex- black-ops government asset, pulled from the orphanage at a young age and trained to be invincible.

On his own now after a departure, he is the Nowhere Man who answers calls from people who need help. And, then asks them to pass on the n
Larry H
Mar 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, netgalley
4.5 stars.

The fifth book in Gregg Hurwitz's Orphan X series, Into the Fire is a pulse-pounding thriller with emotional heft to it.

Evan Smoak has been moving since he was young. Pulled out of a foster home and recruited into a super-secret government program, he once was Orphan X, one of the most lethal assassins ever.

When he had enough of killing because people told him to, he reinvented himself as the Nowhere Man, a guardian angel for those in the most desperate of situations. He’ll do wha
Monica
Jan 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I know these books are crazy outlandish, but if you are looking for a thriller, I think they are awesome! Completely unrealistic but I’m always cheering for our hero Evan to save the day, yet again.

This book in particular would seem like it was wrapping all the loose ends and coming to a conclusion many times before the ending. Others may find this frustrating but it just added to my anticipation. Highly recommend!

*Thanks to NetGalley and publishers for the advanced reader’s copy of this book
Maureen Carden
Evan Smoak, the Nowhere Man, also known as Orphan X, is tired. He is tired of being on the run from his own government, he is tired of being unable to have a normal life, is tired of not being normal. Of course, how anyone with his background as an off the books government trained (from childhood) government assassin could ever be normal is a bit of a conundrum. Most of all the Nowhere Man is tired of being the Nowhere Man, the man who is the last resort of survival. When his phone number is hes ...more
Marialyce
Oct 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh my god, I so love this series! Imagine my excitement when I was able to get an advanced copy of book V in the Orphan X series? I jumped at the chance and much to my amazement was once again mesmerized by the exploits of Evan, who manages such death defying actions, that he is able to save the day each and every time. Who needs Superman when you've got Evan? Seriously, there's not a better bad guy with a wonderful heart than this character. He generates lots of enjoyment and just plain fun!

Our
Holly  B

4.5 STARS

Another brilliant book in this fast paced series! And the ending was a bit of a cliffhanger, so I'll be reading Book 6 from Netgalley ASAP! The newest (Prodigal Son) publishes 1-26-21.

Sam Quixote
There’s something scary in Max Merriweather’s neighbourhood. Who’s he gonna call? The Nowhere Man (dun nuh nuh nuh nuuuh)! He ain’t afraid of no crooks!

Gregg Hurwitz’s Orphan X books are fairly standard action thrillers where the hero is the usual Jason Bourne-type, an unstoppable special forces guy who’s taking on the world (Americuh, fuck yeah!). The specifics of Into the Fire don’t really matter as it’s just more of the same that’s gone before: someone needs Evan’s help so he helps them, whic
Sean Peters
Jun 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Following the 2019 blockbuster hit Out of the Dark, Evan Smoak—aka Orphan X aka The Nowhere Man —returns in the latest high-octane thriller from New York Times bestselling author Gregg Hurwitz.

Now, following intense few years of being hunted by the very government that once plucked him from an orphanage as a boy and turned him into a skilled, calculated killer, Evan Smoak wants to retire. But what is retirement for a guy like Evan, who broke from the Orphan Program and went on to become a feare
Chad
Jan 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hurwitz has done it again with his Orphan X series. The Nowhere Man takes on what may be his last case in a down on your luck, working man who is sucked into a large cover up after being asked to hold onto some incriminating data. I like how Hurwitz ratchets up the tension in this one. Every time X thinks he's got all the bad guys, he finds out there's another ring of bad guys above that one. I also like his interaction with Joey. I like seeing Evan become more human, and curious to find out wha ...more
Rose
Thank you to NetGalley and St. Martin's Press for my advance copy of “Into the Fire” by Gregg Hurwitz – for my honest review

This is the 5th book in the Orphan X Series. I have read all of the previous books in this series, and am a fan.

For those who have not read one yet, They really do no require reading in order as they are a good stand alone read as well.

“Into the Fire” – WOW, what a roller coaster – fast paste and exciting. I am giving this book all 5 starts. It was a fun read from start to
Lisa Gardner
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Orphan X is one of my favorite characters! Great addition to the series.
Kat
Oct 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-3
In the last(???) of the Orphan X series, Evan Smoak takes on city corruption in Los Angeles that has already ripped one family apart… and may be threatening the few people he has come to care about in his spartan existence. I liked how this wound down the series, keeping the badass Orphan X missions (and all the Joey scenes—so my favorites!) while showing Evan’s human side and that he couldn’t keep up the former assassin turned hero defender side of what he did forever. The last action scene was ...more
The Cats’ Mother
With only a few days left in the year, I found myself reading two books in parallel - a paperback of Blue Moon by Lee C, and, when a bout of insomnia necessitated starting an ebook so I could read in the dark, I allowed myself the pick of my pending ARCS, and started this. Next day, a dilemma - which to continue? The latest from one of my all time favourite series, or this? Turns out there was no contest - the Orphan X series is just that good. Don’t worry Jack, I’ll return to you shortly...

Into
Mark
Feb 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you loved the last 4 Orphan X all you need to read is this...yep, it’s as good and you will love it

If you haven’t read anything in the series then this book is perfect to start with and if love it then there are 4 more to enjoy

Evan Smoak, Orphan X is helper/vigilante to the most desperate,
the people in such dire circumstances no- one can help them, along comes Evan and when he sorts it he leaves them a new mobile number telling them to pass it on to anyone who they think needs him.....and so
Terence M
A brief review will be written as soon as I am able.

5.0 Stars of 5.0 - "It Was Amazing!"
Into the Fire (Orphan X, #5) by Gregg Hurwitz.
Narrator: Scott Brick - (A brilliant interpretation!)

Another amazing book in the "Orphan X" series! Full of pace, energy and credibility-bending intensity, this book, for me, undoubtedly deserved a 5-Stars Rating!

I have listened to all six books in this series (including a novella, #1.5), and every one of them deserved and was awarded a 5-Stars rating! An wonder
Skip
Feb 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Do you need help? Evan Smoak continues to help the helpless as a sort of penance for the terrible things he did for his country. This time, it's Max Merriweather calling: the family loser, whose cousin gave him an envelope to give to the press, if he is ever killed. Then, the chosen reporter has disappeared, permanently. And, Max is running from gangsters. Evan does what he does best and eliminates the problem; however, turns out there are a series of people, who are committed to ensuring Max's ...more
Dee Arr
Feb 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: action
Once again, someone is in trouble and dials the 1-855-2-NOWHERE, and Evan Smoak answers. He believes this is going to be his final job as he plans to retire and leave his hidden life as ORPHAN X behind. Unfortunately for Evan (and his new client, Max), this last case proves to be bigger and more dangerous than ever.

Gregg Hurwitz’s fifth offering in the Orphan X series is just as good as the preceding novels. If you’ve never read an Orphan X story, you’re in for a treat. Evan Smoak is a modern-da
Cindy Burnett
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hurwitz’s new entry into the Evan Smoak series is fast-paced, clever, and highly entertaining. Now that his enemies are vanquished and he is no longer being hunted by anyone, Smoak is ready to leave the job of the Nowhere Man behind him. As he struggles with what to do next, Smoak receives one last Nowhere Man request that appears to be an open-and-shut case so he reluctantly takes the job. What seems like an easy job blossoms into the most dangerous and challenging mission of his life. Hurwitz ...more
San
May 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't have opportunity to read previously book in this series and even if it could be read as standalone, I sometimes felt like I was missing on something. I really loved Evan Smoak character. He's ex-government agent known as Orphan X, now the Nowhere Man. Now he helps people who are in danger. Now he's helping Max Merriweather whose cousin was murdered and he left Max a clue. Max is determined to find out who killed his cousin and this puts him in great danger.

I highly recommend Into the Fi
Michael Martz
Methinks this may be my last Orphan X book. I like my thrillers to be a little more realistic and 'Into the Fire', like others in Gregg Hurwitz's series, forces the reader to basically suspend disbelief immediately upon opening. I don't mind doing that for sci-fi or dystopian future novels, but for something happening now with today's people and technology, nah.

So, Orphan X is Evan Smoak. He's an American ex-black ops legendary assassin. He 'dropped out' of the program and is living a luxurious,

• The List (Orphan X, #5.5)
  • In The Clearing
  • One Minute Out (Gray Man, #9)
  • The Last Sister (Columbia River, #1)
  • Blind Search (Mercy & Elvis Mysteries #2)
  • The Love Story of Missy Carmichael
  • The Tenant (Korner and Werner, #1)
  • Eight Perfect Murders (Malcolm Kershaw, #1)
  • The Last Real Cowboy (Cold River Ranch, #3)
  • The Return
  • Lady Clementine
  • Woman on the Edge
  • Agent Jack: The True Story of MI5's Secret Nazi Hunter
  • When We Were Vikings
  • The Splendid and the Vile: A Saga of Churchill, Family, and Defiance During the Blitz
  • A Hundred Suns
  • Buy Yourself the F*cking Lilies: And Other Rituals to Fix Your Life, from Someone Who's Been There
  • The Other Mrs.
Gregg Hurwitz is the critically acclaimed, New York Times and internationally bestselling author of 20 novels, including OUT OF THE DARK (2019). His novels have been shortlisted for numerous literary awards, graced top ten lists, and have been published in 30 languages.

He is also a New York Times Bestselling comic book writer, having penned stories for Marvel (Wolverine, Punisher) and DC (Batman,

Orphan X (6 books)
  • Orphan X (Orphan X, #1)
  • The Nowhere Man (Orphan X, #2)
  • Hellbent (Orphan X, #3)
  • Out of the Dark (Orphan X, #4)
  • Prodigal Son (Orphan X, #6)

Articles featuring this book

Need another excuse to go to the bookstore this week? We've got you covered with the buzziest new releases of the day. To create our list, we...
“He could handle chaos in the world as long as there was order at home.” 1 likes
“The headlights spilled over his shoulders, silhouetting his shadow on the concrete wall. He stared at it. It stared back.” 0 likes