Start by marking “A Cry in The Night (Jessica Daniel, #15)” as Want to Read:
A Cry in The Night (Jessica Daniel, #15)

A Cry in The Night

(Jessica Daniel #15)

Samuel is fourteen years old. He lives with his mother in a Manchester flat, goes to school, plays on his computer, reads books and likes the same things that most other teenagers do.

He’s also blind.

And he’s the only witness when his mother is attacked in their own home late one night.

With his hopes hung firmly on her and only his witness statement to go on, DI
Published January 15th 2020

To ask other readers questions about A Cry in The Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Cry in The Night

Start your review of A Cry in The Night (Jessica Daniel, #15)
Liz
Dec 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley

You know it’s a successful series when an author is up to book 15. And I’ve enjoyed every one of the prior 14.

This time around, Jessica is investigating the murder of a woman where the only witness is the woman’s blind son. The son has the unique ability to “see” through echolocation, which works along the same means as sonar. Before we know it, there is another murder which may or may not be related as the murderers seems to have been looking for something in each residence.

I’ve missed
Holly
Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, netgalley
When Samuel wakes up in the middle of the night to strange noises, he finds two men with his mother who are asking her where the money is. When things go wrong and his mother is killed, Samuel finds himself asking Jessica Daniel's to find the killers. The only thing Jessica has to go on is the word of Samuel and he's blind. Jessica, as always, is determined to the point of going against the rules/regulations to find answers. Another solid entry in this series! We are on book 15 now and Jessica ...more
Monnie
Dec 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
After finally warming up to detective investigator Jessica Daniel in the 2018 Eye for an Eye series entry, I must say that after reading this one I've cooled off again. I'm not sure why, except that Jessica seems to be more of an "It's easier to ask forgiveness than permission" kind of person than I'd like her to be.

No, that doesn't mean this book isn't good - I enjoyed it thoroughly, as I have the others I've read. And for sure I love a feisty female character, and Jessica certainly is that;
Denise
Jan 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
I've been hanging around with DI Jessica Daniel and her cohort from Manchester CID for a long time! Hard to believe this is #15 in the series and what a lot has happened over the years. Returning to Longsight Police Station to check in with the gang and see what cases they're dealing with, enjoying the banter, relishing old memories -- the series is still interesting though I always find it irritating when the author ends the book with a cliffhanger. No fair, Kerry Wilkinson.

In this installment,
Elaine Tomasso
Dec 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
I would like to thank Netgalley and Bookouture for an advance copy of A Cry in the Night, the fifteenth novel to feature DI Jessica Daniel of the Manchester Police.

When fourteen year old Samuel wakes up he hears intruders and finds two men threatening his mum, Evie. Then he hears a bump and soon realises that Evie is dead. Samuel didn’t see the men because he is blind but he can tell that one man walked with a limp. This is enough to set Jessica searching and what she discovers is a much wider
Cathy
Jan 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
I had not read any of the prior books in this series. Overall, it did not affect my enjoyment of this book. There is something in the end that I think I may have understood more if I had read those books. Jessica Daniels is an enjoyable protagonist and her relationship with Archie kept the interest. The mystery was solid. Overall an enjoyable police procedural and I will seek out the earlier books. There was some threads hanging at the end and that always annoys me so be prepared.

I was given a
Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Another good chapter in the Jessica Daniel series. This is book 15 and is about the murder of a mother and the only witness is the blind 14 year old son. As Jessica investigates this murder and what follows she also has to deal with someone in her team who has a secret that will change the dinamics of the team going forward. Well written and fast to read.
Kath
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
14 year old Samuel is woken up by noises in the night. He gets up to investigate and witnesses his mother being attacked in their home. Next day, Jessica comes to take his statement and is shocked by what he delivers. For someone who is blind, he certainly has a lot to tell her, most of which pretty unbelievable on first hearing. But she takes it all on board and, going back to her team, starts the investigation in earnest. But it soon transpires that this incident is just the tip of a rather ...more
Stanley McShane
Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I really like Jessica Daniel. She feels genuine. She pushes boundaries, has her gains and losses, but is generally an efficient detective inspector who gets her man (or woman). She reminds me somewhat of the character Danny in Blue Bloods--edgy but effective. It may be her droll sense of humor, that biting wit that lightens the sensitive issues, but she can usually detect the line drawn that shouldn't be crossed.

In Book 15, Samual, a blind fourteen-year-old who "witnesses" the violent death of
Jen
Dec 08, 2019 rated it liked it
I've enjoyed this series for quite a while, but admit this one isn't my favorite. A Cry in the Night lets you know pretty early that something is wrong on Jessica Daniel's team. You know how when a character you like does something untoward, it can be either easily accepted or cause uneasiness? Jessica offers 10 pounds to a snitch to let her know when her suspect turns up, and 10 more when he does. Why did that make me so uneasy? Because Wilkinson intends exactly that--to create a sense of ...more
Linda
Jan 14, 2020 rated it liked it
Interesting mix of characters but not gripping

The book started off well and I thought that Evie's blind son would be an original and interesting key character in the investigation of his mother's death. The story mostly leaves him in the wings, however, and moves off to more and more shady corners as the puzzle of Evie's death is eclipsed by more violence and missing persons.

The writing style was good and the plot was fine if a tad predictable but, for some reason, I just could not get
Carole Gourlay
Dec 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Once again I was so thrilled to receive this as an ARC. I adore Jessica, she’s thoroughly human and has faults like we all do, but she gets the job done. I’ve read all her books from the first one, and Andrew Hunters series too. I like the way they cross over.

The author Kerry, adds quite a bit of black northern humour to the book, and he does make me chuckle.

This story revolves around a lady who dies at home after a break in and the only witness is her blind son. I would have liked Samuel to
Fran Ringland
Jan 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
A Jessica book that still lacks the initial camaraderie but this book is so well done it is not diminished by that. Warning, do not buy this book if you will be unable to buy the next or if the waiting to buy the next will be too much for you. This story is self contained, (with a prompt for the next) all the pieces are correctly shaped and fit but if it was a picture for a jigsaw, let’s just say, the bits are there to complete the main picture but there will be questions, like what can that ...more
Donna Hines
Jan 07, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, netgalley
This is one of those situations in which I loved the premise but unfortunately couldn't fall in line with the way it was executed.
The main character is a young boy whose blind and has just experienced his mother's murder.
When questioned how it's possible he informs Jessica that he operates using echolocation.
The story progresses through a maze of questionable actions and behaviors winding down to the ultimate thrill.
However, it was almost too unbelievable to hook me and for that I couldn't give
Tarrah Marie (Wayward Readers)
Jan 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is book fifteen is the Jessica Daniels series and can be read as a stand-alone although after fourteen books, some things may be lost to not being a part of the veteran crew. Kerry Wilkinson provides a good domestic thriller/police procedural. It is a bit atypical of his other novels with a more familiar trope and docile plot. The characterization is typical of lead female detective as Jessica Daniels has that snarky, rough exterior. Wilkinson does offer a dual plot line that will and ...more
CR
Dec 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Just so you guys know I have not read the other titles in this amazing series. But, I will be getting on that soon because this one was great. Although there were a few things that came up from other books. I didn't feel to lost overall in this story. This was a great story about being blind doesn't mean that you can't see. This was a great blend of mystery and thriller and more. The pacing was well done and the story is fully fleshed out. Pretty much everything that you really need gets wrapped ...more
Mikeh5972
Jan 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is another first class read in the Jessica Daniels series. Kerry Wilkinson has an easy style of writing and tells a cracking story. Jessica and Archie are most enjoyable as a team and some of their conversations are most amusing. Once again Kerry leaves us with a cliffhanger. I can't wait for the next in this excellent series.
Archana Aggarwal
Jan 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you Net Galley. Ms Wilkinson has written a powerful and gripping mystery. Jessica Daniels does not disappoint. She is a great heroine. A must read.
Louise Allan
Aunty Janet
Jan 16, 2020
Mrs Susan M Davison
Jan 17, 2020

• The Blossom Twins (Detective Natalie Ward #5)
  • First Blood (D.I. Kim Stone, #12)
  • Cold Heart Creek (Detective Josie Quinn #7)
  • Liar Liar (DS Grace Allendale #3)
  • Pumpkinheads
  • He Knows Your Secrets
  • Ryan's Christmas (DCI Ryan Mysteries #15)
  • Bitter Falls (Stillhouse Lake #4)
  • Broken Souls (D.I. Lottie Parker, #7)
  • The Man She Married
  • Die Alone (The Bone Field #3; DI Ray Mason #4)
  • A Cold Trail (Tracy Crosswhite, #7)
  • Me
  • The Girls in the Lake (Beth Adams #2)
  • Her Secret Past
  • Here To Stay
  • Her Dark Heart
  • Nine Elms (Kate Marshall, #1)
Recent and upcoming UK releases:
A Cry In The Night (Jessica Daniel 15): 15 Jan 2020
Seven Days In July: 31 March 2020
One Of Us: 23 July 2020
The Broken Silence: 17 Nov 2020

Kerry Wilkinson has had No.1 crime bestsellers in the UK, Australia, Canada, South Africa and Singapore. He has also written two top-20 thrillers in the United States. His book, Ten Birthdays, won the RNA award for Young Adult

Jessica Daniel (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Locked In (Jessica Daniel, #1)
  • Vigilante (Jessica Daniel, #2)
  • The Woman in Black (Jessica Daniel, #3)
  • Think of the Children (Jessica Daniel, #4)
  • Playing with Fire (Jessica Daniel, #5)
  • The Missing Dead (Jessica Daniel, #6)
  • Behind Closed Doors (Jessica Daniel, #7)
  • Crossing the Line (Jessica Daniel, #8)
  • Scarred for Life (Jessica Daniel, #9)
  • For Richer, For Poorer (Jessica Daniel, #10)