Start by marking “The Dime Box” as Want to Read:
The Dime Box

The Dime Box

Greta Giffen barely escaped being murdered by the man she grew up with. She's not sure who Ian is, or who she is, but she's determined to find out. When she bolts from their secluded cabin in northern Ontario and flees to Toronto, her new life comes at a price. Ian dies under suspicious circumstances and a veteran detective believes eighteen-year-old Greta has the perfect ...more
paperback, 378 pages
Published November 25th 2019 by Notebook Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Dime Box, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dime Box

Start your review of The Dime Box
Matt
Jun 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reedsy-arc
First and foremost, a large thank you to Reedsy Discovery and Karen Grose. for providing me with a copy of this publication, which allows me to provide you with an unbiased review.

Interested in some Canadian crime fiction, I thought that I would tackle Karen Grose’s book to see if it held up to all the hype. Greta Giffen is all of nineteen years of age and already an orphan. When she is seen rushing out of her father’s palliative care room, the nurses know something is up. Ian Giffen is dead in
Jennie Rosenblum
Feb 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
In the tradition of the phrase, be careful what you wish for, this book takes you down the winding paths of Greta’s life.  Bit by bit more is revealed as to why Greta has trouble remembering or has chosen not to remember until being questioned.  With a determined Police Detective and Greta's insistence on telling the whole "why" of her story, I was engaged from the first page.

This was a riveting read that kept my nose in the book.  Being a curious person, I now want to know more about Colleen an
Naomi
May 17, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't believe this is the author's first book! I couldn't put the book down and would have read it in one sitting but unfortunately life got in the way...so, I read it in two sittings :) I can't say enough about this story. I could really identify with not only the protagonist's personality but also the different characters'. The author is so skilled at painting a vivid picture of the story that I could imagine being right there with Greta. I'm really hoping that there is a second book written ...more
Alanna King
Apr 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
For a debut novel, this is an author to watch. Karen Grose carefully weaves the present with the past in the story of Greta....neglected, abused and isolated with her parents in the woods of Muskoka. In the present, she is the prime suspect for the murder of her own father and as the stories unravel the reader has to distinguish Greta's truth from the fiction she tells the detectives. I couldn't put it down. The Dime Box will keep you up at night wondering about how its all going to end.

I would
Diane Bator
Apr 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
I was fortunate to get to meet Karen at an author event and just had to read her book. The cover and blurb had me hooked.
Greta Giffen is an eighteen-year old with secrets that Detective Astra Perez must interview to draw out details to solve a murder. The story winds and builds, ebbing and flowing until the reader and Perez finally learn the whole truth.
Grose's writing and imagery kept me on the edge of my seat and just when I think I knew what was coming next, I was thrown into a whole new tw
Judy Sheluk
Sep 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
As a child, Greta Giffen endured an abusive childhood filled with secrets and lies, and author Karen Grose does an excellent job of getting into the mindset of a very conflicted and damaged individual in her debut novel. Set in Bracebridge (Muskoka) and Toronto, Grose paints a vivid picture of her protagonist's surroundings and her struggle to get to the truth. A mix of mystery/suspense/coming of age that will keep you turning the pages late into the night. ...more
Lori
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I have not stayed up into the night reading in a long time....but this book did that for me. I couldn’t put it down. I loved how the author unveiled the story like peeling layers off an onion. Bit by bit we get to find out Greta’s story. A great debut book. I also cannot wait for more books by this author!
Annette
Apr 30, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

The Dime Box by Karen Grose is an outstanding read.
Greta’s journey to find the truth about herself .Greta a key suspect in the murder of her father is questioned by Detective Perez and her questioning takes Greta back to her childhood of abuse, pain and the unknown to find the truth. Twists and turns in this gripping novel. Greta’s journey pulled at my heartstrings.
A must read!
Lisa Joseph
Dec 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Dime Box was such an enticing and exciting read from start to finish. Protagonist Greta tells the story of her shocking childhood, bringing the reader with her on her journey of inexplicable pain, love, triumph and deceit. This book truly has it all!

I look forward to more novels by Karen Grose, and consider this as successful a debut novel as possible.
David Hudson
Nov 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
A good first novel for the author. I hope she writes more. I love books about areas of Canada I am to some extent familiar with. Nice to get a good Canadian book dealing with our 'system' rather than what goes on down south. We have a lot we can be doing better, believe you me. ...more
Debra
Dec 12, 2020 rated it it was ok
I read this book because of the favorable reviews. I'm not sure if I read the same book everyone else read, but I really struggled to get through this story. The flipping back and forth from Greta's childhood and the murder interrogation gave me whip lash. ...more
Mary Leney
Jul 09, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent. Did not want to put the book down.
Elaine Blackstien
I recommend this novel. It was written with compassion and insite and brings to life the horrors of child abuse. Read this book and be informed. Once you start you won’t be able to put it down.
Ramona
Mar 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Great read. Hard to put down...you have to know how you t ends.
Gloria
Dec 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable read! Loved the character of Greta and certainly had empathy for her. Don't want to spoil things! but liked the twists at the end. Great debut novel. ...more
Kelly  Schuknecht
Dec 05, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Greta’s father is dead. And she was the last person to visit him in the hospital before he died. He was dying of cancer, but did she kill him while she had the chance?

This is what the Detective (and the reader) wants to know throughout the entire book. But Greta wants to be heard. She and her mother endured abuse at the hand of her father for years, and nobody ever listened. Now is her chance to tell her story, even if it incriminates her even more.

The Dime Box is a gripping story. It’s a thrill
Jan 05, 2020
Claudia Barnett
Sep 30, 2020
Karen Grose
Jun 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Trina
Jan 02, 2020
Wendy Mcrae
Jan 06, 2020
« previous 1 3 next »
Amnesty Internati...: March/April 2021 - The Dime Box by Karen Grose 1 24 Mar 30, 2021 04:01PM

• Cities of Empire: The British Colonies and the Creation of the Urban World
  • The Water Dancer
  • The Toll (Arc of a Scythe, #3)
  • Cilka's Journey (The Tattooist of Auschwitz, #2)
  • Me
  • Daisy Jones & The Six
  • The Most Fun We Ever Had
  • One Last Step (Tara Mills Mystery #1)
  • The Cascade Killer (Luke McCain #1)
  • Save Me the Plums: My Gourmet Memoir
  • Things in Jars
  • Trust Exercise
  • Hidden in Plain Sight (Detective William Warwick, #2)
  • Shocking Confessions (Detective Jericho, #7)
  • Searching for Sylvie Lee
  • The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo
  • Worth Dying For (Jack Reacher, #15)
Karen Grose was born in Canada and lives with her family in Toronto. After a long career as a teacher, principal and superintendent, she turned her attention to writing. The Dime Box is her debut novel and she is currently working on a second. When she isn’t writing, she works in the global EdTech sector and walks her high-strung French bulldog, Ruby, on the boardwalk of Lake Ontario.

News & Interviews

The winter holiday season tends to be a busy one in the romance aisle. To assist you in finding your next hot read to warm up a cold night,...