Start by marking “The Brass Queen” as Want to Read:
The Brass Queen

The Brass Queen

In 1897, a fiery British aristocrat and an inept US spy search for a stolen invisibility serum that could spark a global war.

Miss Constance Haltwhistle is the last in a line of blue-blooded rogue inventors. Selling exotic firearms under her alias, the ‘Brass Queen,’ has kept her baronial estate’s coffers full. But when US spy, Trusdale, saves her from assassins, she’s pull
Expected publication: January 12th 2021 by CamCat Books

To ask other readers questions about The Brass Queen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Brass Queen

Start your review of The Brass Queen
D.B. Woodling
Oct 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
In The Brass Queen, this very capable author transports her readers into a nineteenth-century magical world of festooned airships, exo-suits, multi-fueled flamethrowers, mechanical mallet-wielding beasts, brass blunderbusses, and invisibility serum.

The heroine—gregarious, hilarious, and larger-than-life—Constance Haltwhistle, is an arms dealer for an enterprise known as Steamwerks and the daughter of ‘a portal-tripping mad scientist’. Thrust into a fanatical hunt for a husband, in order to retai
Elizabeth Chatsworth
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Comedy, romance, and adventure light up this delightful gaslamp fantasy set in an alternate Victorian age.

THE BRASS QUEEN was a 2018 Golden Heart® finalist, was showcased in Pitch Wars 2017, and won numerous contests including The Far Side Contest 2018 (Light Paranormal category), The Molly Contest 2018 (Paranormal category), Put Your Heart In A Book Contest 2018 (Paranormal, Science Fiction, & Fantasy category), The Best Banter Contest 2018 (Paranormal category), and The Catherine Contest 2018
Dianne
Nov 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc-read, own, 20-11-read
Need a great reading fix? Want to laugh, cheer and marvel at the world these characters live in? Looking for a feisty, fun heroine who marches to the beat of her own drummer? Meet Constance Haltwhistle, the seemingly self-assured start of Elizabeth Chatsworth’s THE BRASS QUEEN! Trust me, you’ll be glad you did…

Forced to find a husband, Constance isn’t the easiest or most desirable lady in the marriage mart and actually, she would prefer to avoid the entire messy affair, except her father has dis
Debby
The Brass Queen is a first time read by Elizabeth Chatsworth, a new to me author. I typically do not read much steampunk or sci-fi fantasy romances but have in the past and thought this one might be very interesting to read.

Miss Constance Haltwhistle, heroine who believes everything is about her. She believes only in herself and doesn’t care about others and their feelings. In the beginning of the story, I found it very hard to believe that she could be the beauty that would have men lining up w
A.S.
Nov 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2020
Oh my goodness what a fun, steam-powered adventure story THE BRASS QUEEN was From the first line in the book, "The grass is always greener in another dimension," the main character, Constance Haltwhistle steps directly off the page and brings her entire steampunk world with her... I couldn't decide it it was true inter-dimensional travel on Haltwhistle's part or if it was just Chatsworth's splendid writing (which is utterly perfect).

If you're looking for a light-hearted, laugh-out-loud Steampunk
Allison
Nov 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Brass Queen is a delightful, fun, madcap steampunk adventure, and I enjoyed it enormously! It's escapism in the purest sense of the word, which is exactly what I wanted to read right now. The plot threads overlap and tangle wildly, with fast-moving technicolor hijinks in every chapter. It also doesn't take itself too seriously, encouraging the reader to kick back and enjoy the ride. It's 400 pages long, but I absolutely whipped through it in a weekend.

I'd describe this book as Penny Dreadful
Gabi Coatsworth
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’m fussy about what I read, and rarely give a five star review, but I was lucky enough to be an early reader of this book, and found it delightful. Not only is the world of Lady Constance fun to be in, but the witty repartee between her and the ‘tall, dark, and almost handsome’ American spy she has to deal with is hilarious. A perfect book for when you need cheering up or just to get away from this world to Victorian Yorkshire, where the book is set. A must for lovers of humorous fiction, adven ...more
Marty Mayberry
Nov 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was able to read an early version of The Brass Queen and can't recommend it highly enough. It's a lighthearted, creative, and witty adventure story you don't want to miss.
Rachel
Nov 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Brass Queen by Elizabeth Chatsworth is an excellent historical fiction/science fiction/romance/fantasy novel that gives the Steampunk genre a whole new gleam and shimmer.

I loved all of the facets that this book possessed: action, adventure, fantasy, romance, complex and fascinating characters, a great plot, and is a great book all around. It was fun, addicting, playful, sassy, and serious all at the same time.

This is a new author for me, as well as a dabble into a genre that I am only just
Regency Girl
Nov 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Brass Queen is a thoroughly delightful steampunk romp with loads of witty banter and endearingly quirky characters. Constance Haltwhistle is a kickass heroine who designs lethal weaponry while still trying to adhere to proper etiquette according to her trusty copy of Babett's Modern Manners. J.F. Trusdale is the mysterious American who becomes her reluctant ally in a quest to find three kidnapped scientists. Imaginative and amusing, it kept me entertained to the very last page. Truly, a fun, ...more
Ann
Jul 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
So much fun to read! Quirky characters in a fantastical world with good-natured humor bursting from every page. I want to spend every day with Constance and Trusdale as they bicker and bumble through one bizarre situation after another. Behind it all, there's a sharp feminist satire poking fun at empires, authority, and those who tell you how you should live your life. I hope this joyful book is the first in a series!
Jan Nerenberg
Sep 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Brass Queen is a delightful romp through a Steam Punk world. Elizabeth Chatsworth, author, keeps the pace moving as Miss Constance Haltwhistle, inventor, warrior, liar, and very proper Victorian Miss, meets her match in dashing American, cowboy, spy, Trusdale, who has secrets of his own. I highly recommend The Brass Queen for the story, the word-play, and the sheer delight. Well done.
Natalie Grazian
Jun 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I read an early draft and just adored this book. This world of The Brass Queen is so big and imaginative, the characters are instantly lovable, and the writing has a special kind of big-hearted, witty humor all the way through. I probably laughed on every page. Can't wait to get it in print!
Amanda Karsh
Sep 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love a good steampunk story. This has great crazy characters, action, Funny dialogue, curiosity’s and not quite magic.
Hanna Palm
Nov 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book was so much more than I expected it to be. The world building is excellent with a lot of unique elements. I´m really impressed of all the wonderfully complex inventions which are just as realistical as a work of imagination. The magical elements are seamlessly woven into both the world and story which really makes it all more real.

Another thing which really sets this book apart from many in the same genre is how brilliant Elixabeth Chatsworth uses the English language to bring life an
Mike
Nov 02, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
My problem with this one was simple. In a romance (and this has such a strong romance subplot that it is arguably a romance), I need to believe in the attractiveness of both parties in order to buy in. And I found the heroine of this one very unattractive.

At one point, the hero says, "I don't know why the local lords aren't lined up around the block to marry her," and I thought, "Oh, I do."

She's high-handed, hot-headed, self-centred, and has no people skills whatsoever, possibly because she be
Heidi
Nov 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-books-read
I had fun reading this. The first two or so chapters were a touch slow but once I got into it the pages flew by. It was a bit silly but that’s okay! There was Action! Adventure! Romance! It probably wouldn’t surprise you oh gentle reader to know the heroine was suitably spirited and the mysterious stranger with the chiseled jaw -despite his regrettable wardrobe turns out to perhaps be dashing. There is at least one cad to be found within as well!
I’d recommend this one for a light read you don’t
MJB
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read an early draft of this novel, and it was fantastic! I'm a hardcore fan of this witty, funny, alternate history adventure!
Polly Hall
Sep 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An incredible romp. I’m new to this author and love her energetic writing. I’ll definitely be reading more of her titles.
J.S. Dewes
If you want to kick 2021 off with a hearty dose of fantasy shenanigans, go preorder this joyous romp today—your future-self will be eternally grateful!

While hosting a (literally) disastrous party, British aristocrat Constance Haltwhistle meets rough-around-the-edges Kansas cowboy-turned-spy J.F. Trusdale. It’s the definition of “oil on water” as the two are forced into a partnership neither (thinks they) want. Then it’s one entertaining disaster after another as they struggle against invisible b
Lucy
Nov 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If you've never read a gaslamp fantasy/steampunk novel before, this book is a great place to start. The pace is fast, the characters are hilarious, and the steam-powered inventions are intriguing. There's biting satire about the British Empire, but that doesn't overshadow the charming interplay of characters at all levels of society. Constance and Trusdale's bickering is perfect, as is their comic ineptness at investigating the kidnapping of scientists, one of whom has accidentally invented an i ...more
Margarida (mbooksbycandlelight)
I wasn’t a big fan of this story. In the beginning I thought it was going to be a great adventure steeped in mystery but overall, it just felt quite silly. I did not love the main characters. I thought they had no real connection. I also did not enjoy the way the historical elements and the steampunk elements meshed. It didn’t feel very natural. The writing was nice. At times I felt like maybe the goal of the book was to be funny. I guess it was just not my kind of book.
Morgan
Nov 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this ARC from Netgalley in exchange for my fair and honest review. Opinions and thoughts expressed are completely my own.

I generally do not read much from the romance genre, but thought this might be a fun change of pace. Set in an alternate reality where Queen Victoria had set out to greatly expand the British Empire. Since the book only deals with aristocrats, all we see of this is the availability of various foodstuffs coming and going throughout the novel -- there is no discussion
Ryan R
Nov 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
My thanks to Netgalley for sending me a ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This is perhaps the hardest book to review that I have ever read. The description of this book sounded interesting to me. I have never read another steam punk novel before, thus, this was a unique experience for me. The first few chapters held enough mystery and intrigue to keep me captivated. However the story soon became a little dull and lifeless. However at about the 30% mark of the book, things once ag
Aleah
Oct 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thanks to NetGalley for the ARC.

Okay, so envision Mary Poppins but as a younger, flame-haired, brilliant arms dealer. And then imagine Mr. Dawes Sr. as a Stetson-wearing spy from Kansas. Subtract the kids, add an airship or two and some flame guns. Got it? That's this book, and it's so much fun.

I was surprised how much I enjoyed this story, honestly. Steampunk (or gaslamp fantasy, I get them confused) isn't always my genre. It's a lot of fun, but it's so niche and after a few stories you sort
brook
Nov 12, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
3 stars

This was a pretty good read for me!

This book has a rich backdrop and plenty of action throughout the story. The action is well-paced and I liked the course of where the book took us throughout this unified mission. The characters as well were perfect; I love Cosntace and how she deals with these missions and how she contrasts with J.F's brooding and dark personality.

Some cons were that I wanted MORE MORE MORE chemistry with Constance and J. F. If the chemistry was amped up I could have
Tina
Nov 20, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: i-can-t-do-it
I feel that I really should have liked this book much more than I did. It has so many raving reviews I was so excited to read it. Maybe the humor just isn't my style. I also didn't like Constance Haltwhistle at all. she was rude, condescending, and had no people skills what so ever. She runs all over Trusdale, has him arrested for no reason then blackmails him. His response is to just roll over and take it, I just think this book wasn't for me.
Debola
Nov 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Brass Queen is a multifaceted book with lots of character. From the ridiculous speeches the main character gives, to her bravery, her confidence and her intelligence. While situations depicted in the book are not entirely realistic, it made for a great read.

It is a lovely mix of fantasy, history, romance and Tech. The Brass Queen has a rather fresh view of Tech and it's possibilities as well as male/female relationship dynamics.

A great read.
Fraz Pannett
Nov 28, 2020 rated it it was ok
The writing - ⭐⭐
The story - ⭐⭐
Overall - ⭐⭐

This was my first time reading a Steampunk novel, and it could well now be my last. My hope is that this was just a poor choice for an introduction, because I couldn't even finish this one.

The main character is incredibly unlikeable, unbearably unlikeable and it made reading this an absolute slog, the style of writing is also not great, so I gave up pretty quickly.

This ARC was provided to me by Netgalley in exchange for an honest review
Sarah Zachrich
Dec 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Such a fun book! Miss Constance Haltwhistle and J.S. Trusdale are indelible and intrepid characters, and their adventures kept me turning pages (though I could have done with a smidge more of that heavily hinted-at romance!). The side characters were also amusing, and I love how Chatsworth brings in fantastical elements - alternate universes exist alongside and facilitated by steampunk technology. The humor was also top notch.

• The Cup and The Prince (Kingdom of Curses and Shadows #1)
  • The Witch's Heart
  • White Fragility: Why It’s So Hard for White People to Talk About Racism
  • Red at the Bone
  • Lore
  • House of Ash & Brimstone (Gatewalkers, #1)
  • Some Assembly Required
  • Vork (Mail-Order Brides of Crakair, #1)
  • Not OK, Cupid
  • House of Leaves
  • Ruthless (Viper Force, #2)
  • A Gentleman of Leisure
  • The Yoga Sutras
  • Thirsty (Eastside Brewery, #1)
  • The Space Between Us
  • Paddled by Krampus
Elizabeth Chatsworth is a British author and actor based in Connecticut. She loves to write of rogues, rebels, and renegades across time and space.

Elizabeth is a Writers Of The Future winner, a Golden Heart® finalist, a Pitch Wars alumna, and a member of the SFWA. She’s the author of THE BRASS QUEEN (January 2021), an award-winning fantasy set in an alternate Victorian age.

When she’s not writing,