Start by marking “Marjory Stoneman Douglas: Voice of the River” as Want to Read:
Marjory Stoneman Douglas: Voice of the River

Marjory Stoneman Douglas: Voice of the River

-- Story of an influential life told in a unique and spirited voice
-- Nationally known as the first lady of conservation, the woman who "saved" the Florida Everglades
-- Founder of the Friends of the Everglades, a feminist, a fighter for racial justice, and always a writer
-- Her intelligence, wit, and insight mirror an indomitable spirit
-- A must-have for anyone interested
Published September 1st 1988 by Pineapple Press

Start your review of Marjory Stoneman Douglas: Voice of the River
Gwen Porch
Jul 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing

A "Must Read" for anyone interested in the history of how and where current Florida residents' descendants settled in Florida. I knew Native Americans were not treated fairly in other parts of our Country, but was not aware of the injustices done to them in Florida! As history unfolded, the Indians in Florida often proved very capable of outwitting and outmaneuvering the White Man due to their knowledge of the Everglades! Many names of places in FL are either Indian names or Army General Names
Pamela
Feb 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
Marjory Stoneman Douglas took crap from no one. This, her autobiography, describes how she developed this demeanor.

Douglas lived until 108 years old. She is best known for her passionate defense of the Everglades, but she had quite a career before that. She was a reporter for the Miami Herald when Miami had less than 5,000 residents, She joined the US Navy and then the American Red Cross to go to Europe during WWI. She was an editor for the Herald when she returned, then a freelance writer,
Marcia
May 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
I am most inspired by this unique woman's story. In many ways, I relate to her story. Troubled childhoods, love of writing, study of writing in college, independent thinkers; Marjory Stoneman Douglas is a monument to dedication. If I can attain a fifth of her presence in this world, I will be happy.
retronerd  Steinkuehler
Jun 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I have read this numerous times. I own it and love it, but will not lend it out. It is too valuable to me. Everyone should read it at least once. She was more than an employee or a female; she was an individual.
Cyndy
Apr 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
She was ahead of her time...Would loved to have met her. Loved her spirit.
Cynthia
May 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Three and a half stars. This is interesting to understand better a woman for whom Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Florida is named. I have heard that the students learned well how to speak out in support of a cause, and it's clear that this woman also was more than able to do this.

As for the literary quality of this autobiography, it's about a 2.5 stars--it meanders, has holes in it, references people for two lines and then they disappear with the next point unrelated to the one before,
Wendy Nelson
Mar 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author was a very interesting woman. Even at age 96 she was keen of mind and sharp witted, although her sight had failed. The book was created by her talking on tape for about 200 hours; John Rothchild then edited the words down to the book that was published.

At times the book gets a little bogged down in details, but overall I was very interested to read the life story of this woman. I am sad to say that I probably never would have heard of her had it not been for the tragic shooting at the
JOSEPH C WINTERS
This is part of my “Oh, Florida; or how I learned to stop worrying and love the swamp” list. MSD was, to borrow a phrase, non-stop. She stood up for what she believed in and went at it full speed ahead and damn the torpedoes, all the way to the age of 108; I can respect that. Voice of the River is an excellent insight into both MSD’s life and the development of Florida throughout the 20th century.
Kristina
This book is the transcription of over 200 hours of taped interviews with Douglas, and because of that, you really feel as if you are sitting in her living room, having a chat over tea, and learning about her fascinating life story. I knew little about Florida before reading this, but Douglas' work as an environmental activist is relatable, regardless of your knowledge of Florida history. This book helped to open a window into the state and also into the life of Majory Stoneman Douglas.
Linda
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Voice of the River is a fascinating tale about Marjory Stoneman Douglas the “Grandmother of the Everglades.” This book is her autobiography created by author John Rothchild from numerous visits with her and over 200 hours of recordings. I chose this book to read in honor of Women's History Month.

Read the whole review at https://greengroundswell.com/voice-of...
Florence Primrose
May 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Autobiography but Marjory Stoneman Douglas who wrote River of Grass about the Everglades which basically put the Everglades on the map.

Marjory enjoyed life and “jumped on many band wagons” to promote ideas she thought were important. Interesting woman who has helped make the Everglades what it is today.
Candice
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adult, non-fiction
Ms. Douglas is such a character! Her recall of events and people is amazing as is her unique way of looking at the world. Such a spitfire, march-to-the-beat of her own drum lady. Her autobiography was an entertaining read. She did so much good for the people and environment of Florida by grit and sticking to her convictions. Truly an inspiration in so many ways.
Barbara Nutting
Sep 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I actually have already read this book !
Denise
Oct 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
I wanted to read this book because of Marjory Stoneman Douglas' ties to my home state of Florida. I was interested in her efforts in regard to the preservation of the Everglades and Florida in general. This book was more than that, it is an interesting autobiography of a very strong, independent woman who navigated her life on her own terms, in a time that women were expected to marry, have children and stay home. She did marry and divorce but very early in her life and then decided that she was ...more
Leslie Dalton
Nov 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
A window into Miami history and MSD is a hoot.
Becki
May 12, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »

• Autobiography of a Face
  • Wizard: The Life and Times of Nikola Tesla: Biography of a Genius
  • Resistance Reborn (Journey to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, #1)
  • Prairie Fires: The American Dreams of Laura Ingalls Wilder
  • Parallel Worlds: The Heroes Within
  • Small Favor (The Dresden Files, #10)
  • Gumption: Relighting the Torch of Freedom with America's Gutsiest Troublemakers
  • Short Stories from Hogwarts of Heroism, Hardship and Dangerous Hobbies (Pottermore Presents, #1)
  • The Girl and the Tiger
  • Wedgie & Gizmo
  • My Shape is Sam
  • Castle Hangnail
  • My Jasper June
Marjory Stoneman Douglas was an American journalist, writer, feminist, and environmentalist known for her staunch defense of the Everglades against efforts to drain it and reclaim land for development. Moving to Miami as a young woman to work for The Miami Herald, Douglas became a freelance writer, producing over a hundred short stories that were published in popular magazines. Her most ...more
“You have to stand up for some things in this world.” 16 likes