Jump to ratings and reviews

Poppy Fields Adventures #4

Fields' Guide to Fog

It isn’t easy having Hollywood’s biggest, brightest star for a mother—especially when her Russian oligarch boyfriend has been kidnapped. When Poppy Fields flies to London to be with her mother, she finds nothing but fog, danger, and phenomenal shopping.

Too bad half the city wants Poppy dead, and she has no idea why.

The odds against her are high, the menace is real, and if she doesn’t find answers quickly, a dirty bomb will send global financial markets plummeting. Poppy will need charm, smarts, and a killer Chihuahua if she wants to save the world (and snag those boots she spotted at Harrods).

266 pages, Paperback

Published September 30, 2019

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Julie Mulhern

31 books1,276 followers
Julie Mulhern is the USA Today bestselling author of The Country Club Murders and the Poppy Fields Adventures.

She is a Kansas City native who grew up on a steady diet of Agatha Christie. She spends her spare time whipping up gourmet meals for her family, working out at the gym and finding new ways to keep her house spotlessly clean--and she's got an active imagination. Truth is--she's an expert at calling for take-out, she grumbles about walking the dog and the dust bunnies under the bed have grown into dust lions.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
4 (<1%)
1 star
0 (0%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 74 reviews
Profile Image for LORI CASWELL.
2,352 reviews268 followers
November 30, 2019
Dollycas’s Thoughts

Poppy Fields’ is back and she and “Thor” are fighting crime across the pond and her feisty Chihuahua is along for the ride too. When Poppy receives a call from her mother telling her that her rich Russian oligarch boyfriend, Yurgi has been abducted she wastes no time getting there. Yurgi’s son Vincent is handling the money issues if a ransom demand comes through. Chariss wants her daughter Poppy on hand to do what she is quickly becoming famous for – catching the criminals. They barely touchdown in the foggy city and bullets are flying. Can she do it again? Can she catch a killer and live to tell the tale?

___

This is another fantastic book for Julie Mulhern. The action starts quickly and goes full throttle until the very end. Bullets flying, a rolling fog, bombs exploding, a building collapses, more bullets fly, the masked motorcycle rider returns, and Poppy makes a surprising discovery. Amongst all that, Thor (Mark) starts to push a little harder for a relationship or even just one dance. Mr. Brown’s boss Jane Doe is also introduced and Poppy learns driving on the wrong side of the road is harder than it looks. Chariss wants her man back and is somewhat oblivious to everything else going on around her. Thankfully Poppy knows how to deal with her mother.

So much happens in this story it is impossible to put down. Ms. Mulhern’s characters are fully developed and jump off the page. Again, the drama and suspense in laced with plenty of humor. I absolutely love everything about the way she writes a story. The pace is fast, the dialogue is crisp, and the characters are fabulous. Poppy Fields is an awesome protagonist and I just can’t get enough. This time there is one surprise that was just amazing and I am anxious and excited to see how that subplot continues.

I always mention planning accordingly when picking up a book in this series because once you start reading you will not want to stop until you reach the end.

Each Poppy Fields adventure is terrific! Fields’ Guide to Fog, like the 3 previous books, receives my Paradise rating. I recommend reading them all in order so you really get to know Poppy and the other characters and enjoy all their adventures!
Profile Image for Emmalynn.
848 reviews13 followers
April 12, 2022
If Poppy’s in town you better watch the body count. This book sees Poppy and Thor (aka Mark) in London on a rescue mission for her mother’s paramour. Poppy is still impulsive, still makes rash decisions at times, acts before she thinks things through and thus the bodies fall, doesn’t follow orders because “she’s an independent woman” 🙄🙄 - which is annoying, because there’s a difference between following orders in a work setting for one’s own protection and the protection of others, rather than arguing about it as bullets are flying because “hey, I’m a big girl and if I want to get shot right now I shot decide that” 🙄🙄

Anyway, the relationship with Thor is inching along, and shocker of all shockers, did the plane crash really kill her father??? Mr. Brown really has some questions to answer!!!

Overall still a fast paced, entertaining, fun read.
Profile Image for Rosemary Standeven.
731 reviews39 followers
November 6, 2019
As always, Julie Mulhern has written a very enjoyable, rip-roaring adventure with loads of humour, excitement and haute couture. However, I didn’t enjoy this book quite as much as the previous Poppy Fields books. I think that was because it was set in my home city of London, and there were one or two problems I had with the story-line that would probably not annoy anyone else. I know, this is in the same sort of realm as James Bond, and we never expect any kind of realism in his films/book etc. But, still …
Consuela – the prima donna chihuahua – gets an even bigger ‘speaking’ role than in previous books, and the adorable Thor shows exactly why he is so lovable. The relationship between Poppy and Mark/Thor is now full-on, but Poppy’s undercover work requires her to put that on hold while she charms the potential bad guys.
Chariss’s boyfriend has been abducted, and London is threatened by a dirty nuclear bomb. It is up to Poppy (and Thor) to save the day – and the city.
I love Julie Mulhern’s writing – there are just so many beautiful lines. Here are a few to whet your appetite:
I needed a gun. And a Kevlar cocktail dress.

My mouth was as dry as the Thames was wet.

A man who’d borrowed his face from a depressed basset hound answered the door.

The world shifted when I stood, but I took a deep breath and it returned to its regularly scheduled axis.

“You could have been seriously hurt,” Chariss scolded. She rose from the couch and scowled at me (as best she could—it’s hard to scowl with a face full of Botox).

If the Hall of Mirrors and Versace had a love child, it would look like Ammon Rachid’s office.

So, another extremely well written and enjoyable book that I can recommend to anyone who is not so protective of London’s reputation as me.
2,092 reviews19 followers
October 6, 2019
Fields' Guide to Fog was soooo good. The action-packed forth novel in the Poppy Fields Adventures kept me awake from the moment I started the book at midnight until the end! How can life or death be so much fun? I have to admit that one of the things I like is that even though there are many bodies per chapter, Poppy does not take any death lightly. We, on the other hand, are allowed to sit back and enjoy the show because only the central characters are developed to reach us and so far, they have survived. The skills she developed in her youth hold her in good stead as shooters, bombers, and lethal drivers try those skills to the limit. She is prepared for almost everything but her driving is not quite up to the challenges of London traffic. It's all his fault, who can drive on the wrong side of the road with one person yelling at you and another one shooting at you? Really!
2,087 reviews
November 1, 2019
Poppy is at it again! A Wonder Woman with panache must save London! I loved the twist! It will make the next one even more exciting! Women superheroes are the best!
Profile Image for Brenda.
1,183 reviews
February 14, 2020
A fast paced adventure in the rarefied world of Poppy Fields and Mark Stone who jet off to London when her mother, movie star Clarissa Carlton, needs help with the ransom of her latest love, Yurgi Prokorhov.

Poppy's backstory plays a major part in this novel so it is quickly told which enables this to be read as a stand-alone. I think you'd enjoy the first three books and reading them would enhance this episode nicely.

Saving London from destruction evolves from rescuing Yurgi. Heading for Egypt next is the beginning of a new adventure.
Profile Image for Karyn M.
38 reviews16 followers
October 14, 2019
Fields Guide to Fog
By: Julie Mulhern
Poppy has had to rush off to London, England as her mother’s boyfriend has been kidnapped. This was a fun romp with Poppy as she uses some of her new spy skills and finally figures out who the mysterious man who has come to her aid several times. Mum’s the word. You’ll probably guess who they are by the time Poppy figures it out, but I fully admit that I yelled my answer out loud when Poppy had the gun battle on the steps in Paris. That was the previous book. But I digress. Thor and Consuela come along for the ride (I am fully aware that Consuela did not have to spend 30 days in iso, which is standard for any animal coming in to the Island nation. You can choose to accept this conundrum, or allow it to ruin the story for you, but I prefer a good yarn over slavish accuracy, especially since I can’t stand being separated from my fur kids and would never go to the UK for that reason.) We are also introduced to Mr. Browns boss, Jane Doe. While this was just a taste of this new character, I’m looking forward to seeing the character fully fleshed out in future stories. This was a fun read, and I’m doing my best to not go insane before the next installment. If you haven’t tried out Poppy Fields before this, for the love of all that is holy, get the entire set! You won’t regret it. Poppy is a gal I can get behind. She’s cool under pressure, not Bond cool, but keeping most of her druthers cool that many women have had to cultivate because we have hyper-emotional men in their lives, and someone has to be sane. She’s got a fully functional memory, and her working memory is a bit of jealousy that I’m working on. I admit my disability has screwed up my memory, so allow me some small pettiness. She has a smart little kid in Consuela. I’d tuck that kid in my shirt and take her EVERYWHERE. What a little firecracker! Poppy’s mom is still Poppy’s mom, but at least she kind of gets what Poppy does, somewhat. I thoroughly recommend this book and this series. A worthwhile use of time spent.
Profile Image for Lisa G. Hudson.
560 reviews26 followers
October 8, 2019
SUPERB!

When you choose to read FIELDS GUIDE TO FOG, go ahead and plan your time wisely. Poppy Fields is such a vivacious and refreshing character. Once you start reading her story, you won’t want to stop!

Mulhern has continued to develop Poppy’s character throughout the series. In FIELDS GUIDE TO FOG, Mulhern seizes upon all of Poppy’s assets and uses them to their fullest. Poppy spent her younger years on a ranch with her father where she learned to defend herself, shoot like an assassin and many other such skills. When she was 12, her father was killed in a plane crash and she went to live with her mother, the movie star. Chariss had been named the Most Beautiful Woman in the World at least twice. Poppy went from a world of blue jeans and boots to designer everything, expensive jewelry, traded her boots for Jimmy Choos and she started traveling internationally with her Mother. The fact that Poppy looks just like Chariss doesn’t hurt matters. Having Chariss around guarantees instant access to the best restaurants, private planes as well as knowing all the “right people”.

Chariss’ billionaire boyfriend Yurgi is missing so Poppy and her partner Thor (Mark) are called upon to save the day. The stakes are high and the trust factor is at an all time low. This mission is trickier and more deadly than a sack full of rattlesnakes! If you like life threatening pursuits, complete with gunfire and boobytraps, explosions, interesting alliances, one big shock of a lifetime and all of it monitored by Consuela the Chihuahua, then this is the book for you!
Profile Image for Debbi.
616 reviews3 followers
April 15, 2020
This is the fourth book in the Poppy Fields Adventure series and it still continues to be a hoot to read. If you enjoy Stephanie Plum, I think you’ll enjoy this series. This time Poppy is in London and being targeted. She’s there for moral support for her mother. Chariss’ boyfriend has been kidnapped. Mayhem ensues. It in the end, things work out. In fact, it's starting to get even more interesting, but I won’t post a spoiler here. You’ll just have to read it to find out what it is. Julie Mulhern does a great job of describing London, Poppy’s couture, her driving (ha ha!). It lets you imagine you’re right there with her. I hated to put it down and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I laughed so hard at Poppy’s antics at times, and was worried for her and Mark at other times. So looking forward to more adventures, or is it misadventures? Can’t wait.
429 reviews1 follower
October 4, 2019
Despite an appalling body count, what sticks out about this story is the humor and character interactions. This series keeps getting better. Poppy is growing into her new job despite the chaos that seems to follow her. Even wearing sensible shoes, she manages to get into outrageous situations (Poppy does not do driving on the left).

Word of warning, you will want to be sure that you are in a place where the constant giggles and occasional guffaw are appropriate. Trying to sneak in a chapter while waiting for a meeting to start at work, might not be the best choice.
Profile Image for Bonnie.
64 reviews
December 11, 2019
Poppy's latest adventure did not disappoint. I am really loving this series!
71 reviews
February 3, 2020
I think the series keeps getting better. Read Book 4 immediately following Books 2 and 3. It's a fun series. To be clear-- if you're looking for realism, this is probably not the series for you. But if you're looking for a fast-paced, humorous spy novel, featuring a kick-ass female protagonist posing as a spoiled Hollywood A-lister, then this is the series for you! This installment finds Poppy in London. Her mother's Russian Oligarch boyfriend has been abducted. The circumstances of his abduction, as well as his return seem suspicious to Poppy, and his son is acting strangely. As usual, almost immediately upon her arrival, someone starts taking pot-shots at her. Is everything tied to a planned terrorist attack? if so, can she and her partner "Thor" unravel the plot, unmask the perpetrators and keep London in one piece??
Profile Image for Maria.
1,287 reviews45 followers
February 12, 2022
Another fantastic, thrilling adventure with Poppy! I love the drama and action in this series mixed in with the couture and high society. Poppy is fun, quirky, and most importantly, extremely competent in her new role in saving the world. While these are characterized by some as cozy mysteries, they definitely push the limits of the category, in a good way. I look forward to catching up on the rest of the series.
Profile Image for Toni.
1,323 reviews39 followers
March 1, 2022
Love Poppy Fields and her co-hort Mark Stone, aka Thor. This series is just fun. Does Poppy know what she is doing half the time? Nope. But she can call Mr. Brown at a moment's notice to pull her out of the fray. SO much fun to read!
Profile Image for Liz.
916 reviews6 followers
September 20, 2022
I liked the speed of this one, everything fit together pretty well——but the ending was so abrupt. It has the intended outcome of making me want to pick up the next one as soon as possible but it was super frustrating, too.
17 reviews
February 1, 2020
Julie Mulhern never disappoints and this adventure is no exception. I enjoy the fast pace, characters that I feel I've met around town, and of course expert twists. This is an easy read that will have you hoping she writes at least three more every year!
Profile Image for Jen Hunt.
375 reviews
November 14, 2022
Quick and fun. I had a prediction about a character a while ago that presented true. Enjoyable.
Profile Image for Karen.
Author 25 books149 followers
January 20, 2020
A real page turner with Poppy Fields torn between saving London, dealing with her mother, choosing the proper clothes and jewelry, figuring out her relationship with Thor, and keeping her dog happy. Good humor too.
Profile Image for Sheri.
1,399 reviews19 followers
March 22, 2020
I can't believe how well Poppy adapts to her situations! She's becoming quite the skilled little agent and I'm enjoying how her and Thor are moving closer to a real relationship. There are some definite sparks flying between the two of them. One of the admirable things about Poppy, is she doesn't make light of the bodies that are accumulating. She has a deep respect for life. I had a chuckle over her driving experience and how poor Thor was terrified as she maneuvered her way in British traffic. Kudos to her for making it through. Interesting twists in the story line and I look forward to her further adventures in Egypt!!
Profile Image for Faith Hakimian.
190 reviews2 followers
January 18, 2020
Non-stop Action! Witty repartee!

Poor Poppy just doesn't get a moment's rest! Not that that stops her, of course! This installment of the Poppy Fields stories is just as good as the rest, with Poppy taking to her new secret agent job like a duck to water-- even without official training. The characters are great and believable, and I look forward to the next book in the series.
Profile Image for Elaine C..
210 reviews3 followers
November 14, 2022
Heading to London to help her Mom, Poppy stumbles across a dangerous terrorist plot. But trust that she will solve the puzzle and save the day, along with her hunky Thor doppelgänger partner, her ferocious pet Chihuahua, and her mysterious black clad motorcyclist!
867 reviews6 followers
January 3, 2020
Wow! I love Fields' Guide to Fog! I can't say enough how incredible this book is. Intense, full of suspense, action, adventure, and amazing characters. This book is so well written and detailed you can picture the scenes come to life. This book is impossible to put down. I love everything about this book. This is an absolute must read!
27 reviews1 follower
Read
December 22, 2019
Never disappointed

Who doesn't need a diversion from the real world? Julie Mulhern never lets me down. Another good read and it is always such fun when the action hero is a woman. Thanks for the fun and looking forward to seeing Poppy's father in Egypt.
Profile Image for Jenna.
589 reviews35 followers
July 20, 2021
Sun-loving spy in training Poppy Fields is less than impressed with the grey, foggy environment in London, where she and partner Mark Stone (aka Thor) have traveled. Poppy's mother's fiance has been kidnapped and Mark and Poppy are on the scene to help. Chariss (Poppy's mother) is a mess--fraught with fear and worry. But Viktor--Yugi's son--is strangely stoic and...absent. When Viktor is able to arrange a startlingly low ransom for his father shortly after Poppy and Mark arrive, their warning radar begins to ring--loudly. When the full implications of Viktor's reckless actions come to light, the entire city of London may pay the price.

The Poppy Fields Adventure series is packed with action, intrigue, and dark humor. Pages and chapters and hours fly by when I'm immersed in the story. Each book is an exciting opportunity to escape. I highly recommend it!
7 reviews1 follower
October 2, 2019
Each book gets better and better. Poppy Field's adventure this time is in London. As you read you will wonder if she will be the next 007. She could be a Bond girl because she is absolutely beautiful but she has the skills to save the day. Her friends do a cameo in this book, but you get to know her mom a little more. Be prepared to start reading it early in the day because you won't be able to put it down. I can't wait for the next one!
October 6, 2019
Excitement, action, questions, and answers.

Where Poppy and Chariss are there is tension. Where Poppy and Thor are there is mayhem, murder and tension. When a hero (?) Is identified there is more tension and questions. Answers come as bullets rain, new questions arise as quickly as old ones are answered. An adventure that makes me wish a small clutch could conceal a SIG sauer.
Profile Image for Lara Schulz.
3 reviews1 follower
October 11, 2019
This is another fast-paced Poppy Fields thriller! Poppy battles a dirty bomb in London with help from Thor, Mr Brown, Andre, and a mysterious Ducati riding stranger! And lest we forget, Poppy’s mother...“why do you do this to ME, Poppy?” She is a hero in Jimmy Choos! Do yourself a favor and read this book!! Julie Mulhern has another hit on her hands!
Profile Image for Rachel .
60 reviews
October 21, 2019
I love poppy field. Although there are plenty of men willing to look after her, she can take care of herself. She is smart and lethal. This adventure takes place in Londen in area’s I know very well which made it even more fun to read. This whole book( the whole series actually) reads like a high speed car chase. I can’t wait for the next one.
4 reviews1 follower
October 1, 2019
I loved this book. Poppy is a smart heroine and I like her. Ms. Mulhern has been able to keep the series fresh and ensure that we care about the characters.The book is action packed and I couldn’t put it down. I enjoyed seeing London through Poppy’s eyes. I can’t wait for the next one.
378 reviews4 followers
October 2, 2019
Omg so good!

These just keep getting better! Great job Ms. Mulhern! Suspense, mystery, flirtation, designer clothes and cars, assassins and Poppy! London will never be the same again.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 74 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.