Start by marking “Faux Ho Ho” as Want to Read:

(Little Village)

Silas Waite doesn’t want his big-C Conservative Alberta family to know he’s barely making rent. They’d see it as yet another sign that he’s not living up to the Waite family potential and muscle in on his life. When Silas unexpectedly needs a new roommate, he ends up with the gregarious (and gorgeous) personal trainer Constantino “Dino” Papadimitriou.

Silas’s parents try to
Published December 10th 2019 by Bold Strokes Books (first published December 1st 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Faux Ho Ho, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Faux Ho Ho

Start your review of Faux Ho Ho
Nathan Burgoine
Nov 13, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: my-writing, glbt
Edit: December 10th: It's release day! You can now get Faux Ho Ho everywhere quality queer e-books are sold!

I guest-blogged at the brilliant Corey Alexander's blog about how Faux Ho Ho involved breaking some so-called "rules," and how I can't write every-queer, just individual queers.

I guest-blogged at the wonderful Anthony R. Cardno's blog about how Faux Ho Ho fit into the fictional Village I've been building.

I guest-blogged at JenEric Designs about finding the voice for Silas, which was
3.5 stars. I saw this book on the author's thread on Twitter about queer holiday romances and decided to check it out I was iffy about sending $4.99 on it given that the Kindle sample only had blurbs for his other books and contained none of the actual story, but I'm so glad I took a chance on it, because this is a seriously sweet romance and was perfect for getting in the holiday mood. I didn't even mind that there was no sex in it, and usually I prefer my romances on the steamier side. This is ...more
Ulysses Dietz
Dec 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
By ‘Nathan Burgoine
Bold Strokes Books, 2019
Five stars

A fellow author whose opinions I respect greatly loved this book, so I bought it. I am one of those cynics who sort of rolls his eyes at the annual holiday season romance fest, authors cranking out their classic tropes dressed in tinsel and candy canes. I love romance, but after reading hundreds and hundreds of them, I also have learned that I need more than just the same-old-same-old to jingle my bells.

Well, I figured I was gonna
Joyfully Jay
Dec 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jay
A Joyfully Jay review.

Faux Ho Ho is a totally delightful and lovely holiday story. I fell in love with Silas and Dino and rooted for them to make it work together throughout the book. Both are sweet, kind, and generous people; they are “givers” as Dino would say, and each man is truly caring about others. I couldn’t help but love them and really enjoyed seeing their progressions from strangers, to roommates, to friends, and ultimately more.

The story has an interesting structure, as we
Cait Gordon
Dec 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
OH MY FREAKING WORD! This novella restored my faith in holiday romance stories. I loved it so much. I cheered and whooped at the end, too. Aside from this being an amazing take on the fake boyfriend trope, there are some solid truths about how gross ultra-conservative attitudes are towards marginalized people. It also underscores that even though you might have loving family members among the trolls, there’s nothing like chosen family.

Also, as a disabled woman with fibromyalgia, I loved the
Ilias
Dec 25, 2019 added it
Shelves: 2019, q
This is a very sweet book. I enjoy reading books about people who remind me of my friends + also books abt Greek people. It could have gone through another round of editing probably? The writing isn't bad, but it's a little unpolished, I think. The characters are good though + I enjoyed the way Silas grows more confident over the course of the story. It feels very natural.
There are relatively few stakes in the book, which is good, + I would have preferred a little more pining? But in general
Mirjana **DTR - Down to Read**

Handmade Holidays was one of my favorite holiday reads in 2017, and now Nathan Burgoine is giving me another holiday read....this time with a fake relationship trope thrown in! I'm downright giddy to read this!!!
Anniek
Dec 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mlm, lgbtq
I enjoyed this so much!! This was one of my most anticipated reads for this Christmas, so I'm glad I was still able to get to it. I read most of it in one sitting as I really couldn't put it down. It was a very fast read, and I loved the characters. There was also some excellent disability rep in the form of two side characters.

Rep: gay MC, bisexual love interest, disabled side character, f/f couple, several gay side characters

CWs: homophobia
Laurali
Dec 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm not going to lie. I don't think I've ever read anything by 'Nathan Burgoine that I didn't love. Even when the subject is difficult, the characters and storytelling are amazing. Faux Ho Ho is no exception. I adore this story. It's just what I needed to improve my day. If you want a delightful holiday romance, this is the story for you.
Pam Faste aka Peejakers
Okay, this is it, this one wins the prize! This wonderful, ultimately feel-good novella gave me all the feels & is my absolute favorite holiday read for this season; it's one of my favorite overall reads for 2019! It's just about perfect: An m/m "fake boyfriend" romance with two very different but equally endearing main characters, it's touching, hilarious, and just, sweet to the core.

It also tackles some very serious issues around the pressures of family at holidays and other special
Hank Edwards
Dec 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a great story that kept me up way too late reading. It's told from Sila's POV and that helps maintain the "are his feelings reciprocated?" tension to the delicious end. It's not written in a linear manner in that each chapter covers a different period of time in Silas and Dino's friendship. This kind of setup can be confusing if not done right, but Burgoine handles the shift in time well, not only calling out the month in the chapter heading, but just by the "feel" of the action taking ...more
Jeffrey Ricker
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was the adorable holiday read I needed, heavy on chosen family, and hits all the rom com notes in a very queer way (that's a good thing, by the way) without being predictable or formulaic. Even when you know where the characters will wind up, it's a delightful journey, and the supporting cast are half the fun.
Anthony
Dec 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Romantic, funny, real. I alternated tears of laughter with tears of anger (on behalf of the main characters) with tears of joy. The full spectrum of reactions to these two great additions to the world of 'Nathan Burgoine's Village stories.
Erica
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved every minute of this. There was a moment, there, where I was afraid it was going to go to a bad place, but then, instead, it got even better. I'm so glad Mr. Burgoine gave us a holiday story this year.
Jules Lovestoread
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars...Love, love, love! I completely adored this fun, nerdy, sweet Christmas romance. <3 Dino is the absolute best, and Silas was also fabulous. There were also some fantastic supporting characters.
And, I of course have to mention the complete PERFECTION of this cover!!! Full review coming to www.thenovelapproachreviews.com !
Amy
I love this community of Nathan Burgoine's imagination and the characters that populate it. This stand alone short story references many other characters previously met in the collection, Handmade Holidays, but main character, Silas, and love interest, Dino, are brand new.
I had meant to read this during the Christmas holidays, but library books I'd let pile up which had fast-approaching due dates kept me from it. Reading it mid-January was a nice way to extend the holiday cheer. It was a sweetly
Melanie Fishbane
Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The last two weeks of teaching is always strange and stressful. Student anxiety, coupled with a high work load, and other commitments, makes it a very emotional time. One of the things that has truly helped this week was reading 'Nathan Smith Faux Ho Ho. If you're looking for an intelligent, fun and completely empowering rom com, then this is the book for you. It has been two days and I'm STILL thinking about Silas and Dino. I held off reading the last few pages so I could be in The Village just ...more
Matthew Bright
Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was precisely everything I wanted and expected - a cosy, familiar-in-all-the-best-ways, Christmassy queer romcom that juggles its various tropes with warm, knowing ease. I cannot overstate enough my admiration for the ability to write a story that is light and captivating whilst also adroitly folding in subtle aspects of queer life - code-switching; the ill-fitting position within a superficially accepting family; the scarcity of queer heritage; the power of chosen family - that resonate ...more
Melyna
Dec 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5/5.0
This was sweet.adorable and a wonderful addition to my holiday reading. First time reading a book by this author. I will definitely check out their other books.
Philip
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Just adored this friends to lovers holiday romance from one of my favorite writers. Thanks ‘Nathan for another great story. I fell in love with Silas and Dino and their simmering love story.
tysephine
Dec 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
SO CUTE OMG
Rebecca
Dec 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved everything about this wonderful novella! It was the perfect holiday romance, with great characters, a fun, compelling story, and a really satisfying conclusion. Did not want to put it down!
Tess
Dec 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Gillian
Jan 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
4 stars

Very sweet holiday romance with lots of highly relatable Canadian content. I was smitten. <3
Lisazj1
Genuinely sweet! I alway enjoy this author's stories and this was a lovely holiday treat. <3
Leelah&#x1f341;♋️ Orion
Very delightful story. The evolution from roommates to so much more. The perfect Christmas tale with a yummy kiss to top it all off.
Jim
Dec 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m-romance
This was so good. Characters amazing. Plot amazing. So good!
Morgan
Well it seems that after Red, White & Royal Blue and now this, romance books a little political really aren't for me. I have some of the same issues that I had with R,W&B where for me their relationship didn't show enough growth to justify a love interest. The way it was written probably didn't help either with the back and forth between the present and the past. At first it was really confusing because you only have the month written at the beginning of each chapter without telling you ...more
MariF
Dec 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm a fan of 'Nathan's writing since the first Triad Blood, so getting this book on the release day was a must. Unfortunately, it took me a while to get to the reading of it. As anything 'Nathan has wrote, it was a pleasure to read.

We have Silas, a nerdy super-shy guy, and his hunky roommate Constantino (Dino), doing the courtship dance while pretending to be boyfriends to provide an excuse for Silas not to visit his toxic family.
I was a bit put off with the timeline switching back and force the
Pam
Dec 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Frickin' adorable. I loved these two. The fake boyfriend plot is hard to make realistic, but this is much more a friends-to-lovers with one doing a favor to be supportive of the other, and there's not one second that doesn't feel like real, adult people. Their friendship was beautiful. And it was awesome to get a little snippet of Nick and Ru from Silas' perspective as well! I really like this author. (I'm glad someone mentioned the months being in the chapter headers, though, because I think I ...more
The Backlot Gay B...: Faux Ho Ho, by 'Nathan Burgoine 1 7 Dec 16, 2019 11:53AM

• The Twelve Dates of Christmas
  • A Boyfriend for Christmas
  • The Christmas Deal
  • Mr. Right Now
  • Angels Sing (Daddy Dearest, #2)
  • Spellbound (Magic in Manhattan, #1)
  • Hometown Christmas
  • Mr. Naughty List (Home for the Holidays, #2)
  • The Rat-Catcher's Daughter (Lilywhite Boys, #0.5)
  • The Mysterious and Amazing Blue Billings (Black and Blue #1)
  • Beautiful Temptation (So This Is Christmas #2)
  • Defrosting Jack (Ice and Snow Christmas, #4)
  • Tough Guy (Game Changers, #3)
  • The Night (Love in O'Leary #5)
  • Christmas Present
  • Reindeer Games (Ace's Wild, #6)
  • Promise (Single Dads #3)
  • To Touch the Light (Irons and Works)
'Nathan Burgoine grew up a reader and studied literature in university while making a living as a bookseller. His first published short story was "Heart" in the collection Fool for Love: New Gay Fiction. Since then, he has had dozens of short stories published, including in This is How You Die (the second Machine of Death anthology), and has released his first collection, Of Echoes Born (Bold ...more

Little Village (4 books)