Start by marking “Leaders of the Pack” as Want to Read:
Leaders of the Pack

Leaders of the Pack

Since the dawn of time, across almost every culture, there have been legends of shapeshifters. Men who turn into beasts and prey upon anyone unfortunate enough to cross their path. Of the shapeshifter tales, none invokes as much terror as the legend of the werewolf.

The stories of men who become wolves persisted through the centuries from campfire folk tales to the modern
Published January 10th 2020 by Horrific Tales Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Leaders of the Pack, please sign up.
Graeme Reynolds The book is over 350 pages long, with some of the stories coming in at over 10,000 words. None of the stories are less than 4000 words, so hopefully…moreThe book is over 350 pages long, with some of the stories coming in at over 10,000 words. None of the stories are less than 4000 words, so hopefully they will prove to be satisfying for you.(less)

Start your review of Leaders of the Pack
Michael J.
Twelve stories with evocative black and white illustrations preceding each entry, and a short biography of each author.
This is one of the most satisfying themed anthologies I've read. Usually there are one or two clunkers in the bunch, or stories that become tedious or boring because of the repetitive themes. I rated four of twelve stories as 4 Stars (above average, exceeds expectations), five as 3.5 Stars (above average), and 3 as 3 Stars (meets expectations, satisfies).
My favorite of the
Brett Talley
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
When I saw that Graeme Reynolds and Glenn Rolfe, not to mention Jonathan Janz, were in this book, I knew I had to have it. Reynolds' High Moor series are the best werewolf books ever written, while Glenn's Blood and Rain come close to matching them. So I had high expectations. And let me tell you - - they not only met them, they exceeded them. This is a book for folks who like their werewolves bloody and raw, werewolves who, if they saw a sparkling vampire, they'd eat them. Don't miss out.
Steve Stred
Jan 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
** Edited as review is now live on Kendall Reviews! **

A WEREWOLF ANTHOLOGY! Featuring Garton, Janz, Rolfe and more!!

YUP!

If you read any of my reviews, you’ll know my love for all things lycanthrope – so this was an easy choice when it was offered for review.

We get a number of fun tales; Matt Serafini and Graeme Reynolds delivered some gorey times and Jeff Strand rounded up the tail end of the release with a Wolf Hunt prequel story, but I’m going to go through my fav’s from the batch.

The
Kenneth Skaldebø
I had high expectations to the first anthology collection from Horrific Tales Publishing, and I am happy to say that it did not disappoint! Great selection of stories here by writers who know their craft! Most of the stories are set in already established werewolf series, so, if there are one or two stories that speaks to you (most of them will), then you are in luck, there is more to read!
Here is something for the werewolf connoisseur, violent, gory, exciting and funny. Its werewolves in all
Ginger Nuts
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
When it comes to fiction, werewolves are the underdog in comparison to the breadth and scope of the vampire. For every werewolf story, there is at least twenty that focuses on a vampire. Why this is the case, escapes me as I have always found the werewolf to be the most interesting character.

For me, the werewolf allows for more brutal an in depth examination of the human condition. Vampires have historically been, for the main part portrayed as the sexy, leech, a social pariah, living on the
Bruce Blanchard
Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
There is something about a pack of werewolf stories that the blood is running faster in your body, the inner hairs underneath your human skin pop out, the image of the moon looms larger in your eyes. Vampires can be decadent or modern, suave, urbane, but werewolves are primal, bestial, vicious in their attacks - they are closer to a pure monster. They are territorial and protect their own. I love werewolves. And werewolf stories. Leaders of the Pack: A Werewolf Anthology has 12 short stories to ...more
Debbi Smith
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Nick
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Above Average Anthology

As ever with anthologies, some are better than others. That said, there was only one or two stories here that fell a little flat for me, and several I considered excellent, with the balance above average. If you like werewolf stories, and well written horror stories, then you should probably buy this book. It's worth your money and time.
Mark Farley
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Five minutes after reading this book, a werewolf arrived at my door, reached down my throat and tore out my spine. Now I'm just a brain in a jar but it was all totally worth it because they saved my eyeballs which means I can read this book all over again.
Taylor
Jan 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: collection, werewolf
As a huge fan of werewolves, I was obligated to investigate this when it came across my kindle. Conclusion: a decent little anthology! Overall I'd say 3 stars, but the stories I enjoyed, I really did like.

Pros: Werewolves! I definitely found more books I want to read from some of the authors based on their stories. there was a good mix of time periods and settings spread throughout. Something for everyone.

Cons: Not one female author in the bunch and it definitely shows. More than one of the
Ciara Jean
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Guys. This was so fucking good. Soo damn good. I was really stoked when I preordered this book a couple months back because I saw a handful of my favorite authors in here. THEN I WAS EVEN MORE STOKED TO FIND OUT SOME OF MY FAVORITE CHARACTERS WERE IN HERE AS WELL. 6 out of 5 stars. I'm so happy I was able to reunite with some old friends.
Teresa Tidwell
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Excellent Collection!

Wow! Finally an anthology filled with wonderful stories! I read this book in one sitting today. Great werewolf horror is difficult to find, at least for me, and in this book I found it full of them. Several from some of my favorite authors, and the rest from authors I was completely unfamiliar with...Until now! I highly recommend this book to any fan of the werewolf genre!
TJ
Feb 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In all fairness, there are probably a couple of points I should express before I start this review. #1: I'm not a great fan of short stories and, #2: Werewolf horror ranks only slightly higher on my list than supernatural horror. (I'm not a big follower of either.) So, dear reader, armed with that information, you'd guess that I wasn't too enamored with "Leaders of the Pack: A Werewolf Anthology", wouldn't you?

Well, you're wrong. This tasty little compilation is filled with a number of
Mylene
Feb 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
For all the wolves out there

I picked up this book for 3 reasons: the authors, the incredible cover art (awesome way to reel readers in —shout out goes to Patrick Cornett and inside illustrations by Michelle Merlini), and I’m a sucker for werewolves.

A couple of things you should know... not all the stories are great, per se, but they are extremely well-written. There is definitely something here for everyone and some uniqueness to boot.

Stories that are MUST READS:

1. David Wellington with Hunters
Yvonne Davies
I haven't read a werewolf story in a while, so when Leaders of the Pack was published, with 12 short stories I knew I could get my fix of werewolf stories.
As with all anthologies I always have my favorite stories and this was no different. For this review, I will mention these.
Hunter's Moon by David Wellington. The story follows Laura Caxton as she hunts down a vampire. This story had quite a few supernatural characters which were all important to the stories. It was fast-paced as you follow
Angela Crawford
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book!! I got to visit some worlds I missed reading about in stories from Graeme Reynolds, Glenn Rolfe, and Jonathan Janz. I discovered new worlds that I want to learn more about. The folks over at Horrific Tales have hit a homerun once again with this hair raising collection of lycanthrop brilliance. A solid 5 star read. Highly recommended!
Jeff McIntosh
Jan 27, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020-reads
I was excited to see the publication of "Leaders of the pack", as I don't see may werewolf anthologies...last one I saw was Jones' "Mammoth Book of Wolf Men" in 2009. All of the stories in "Leaders" are original to the volume. Aside from Garton, who contributed one story, none of the authors were known to me.

I wanted to really like this anthology...werewolves are like the Rodney Dangerfield of monsters - they don't get any respect.....an individual who changes into an unreasoning killing machine
John
Feb 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
One look at the cover should tell you that this is not going to be one of those touchy-feely "Ohmigosh I'm a werewolf! What must I do?" type of werewolf books. These are not your 'Team Jacob' from "Twilight". No, it's more like the werewolves in this anthology are more along the lines of 'Team Ravenously Hungry' and the rest of us are 'Team Seriously Screwed'.
Serenity
Jan 16, 2020 rated it liked it
Disappointed

I was looking so forward to this book. Other than Janz and Strand, I wasn't very impressed with the other stories.
Sandy
Jan 06, 2020 rated it liked it
What I liked about this anthology was the wide variety of stories. They ranged from Roman times to the present and each one was unique. What I didn’t like was that most of these stories were either sequels or spinoffs of books that the authors had written so too many of them didn’t really feel complete. The stories tend to be violent and gory so that’s also something to consider.
Barry Gibbs

• Wolf Hunt 3
  • His Dark Imagination: A Collection Of Twisted Short Stories And Novellas
  • Bane County: A Short Story
  • The Roo
  • The Cult Called Freedom House (Sophia Rey #1)
  • Behemoth
  • The Moving House: a prequel to Ghostland
  • Sick (Sick #1)
  • Faster
  • DIRTY PAWS (Short Sharp Shocks! Book 0)
  • The Stranger & The Ribbon (Short Sharp Shocks! Book 2)
  • The Couvade (Short Sharp Shocks! Book 35)
  • Asylum Of Shadows
  • Insidious Wolves: Amnesia (Insidious Wolves Book 2)
  • Eve: A Christmas Short Horror Story
Ray Garton is the author of several books, including horror novels such as LIVE GIRLS (which has a movie in the works), CRUCIFAX, E4 AUTUMN, and THE FOLKS; thrillers like TRADE SECRETS and SHACKLED; and numerous short stories and novellas. He's also written a number of movie and television tie-ins for young readers. He lives with his wife, Dawn, in California.