Start by marking “Leaders of the Pack” as Want to Read:
Leaders of the Pack

Leaders of the Pack

Since the dawn of time, across almost every culture, there have been legends of shapeshifters. Men who turn into beasts and prey upon anyone unfortunate enough to cross their path. Of the shapeshifter tales, none invokes as much terror as the legend of the werewolf.

The stories of men who become wolves persisted through the centuries from campfire folk tales to the modern a
Published January 10th 2020 by Horrific Tales Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Leaders of the Pack, please sign up.
Graeme Reynolds The book is over 350 pages long, with some of the stories coming in at over 10,000 words. None of the stories are less than 4000 words, so hopefully t…moreThe book is over 350 pages long, with some of the stories coming in at over 10,000 words. None of the stories are less than 4000 words, so hopefully they will prove to be satisfying for you.(less)

Start your review of Leaders of the Pack
Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*
Themed horror anthologies are a bag of fun. Anthologies filled with random short stories are a delight too, but to have a joining theme, those are my favorite. Fans of the furry will be pleased with the well-named Leaders of the Pack. Sporting a colorful cover (the book names the illustrator as Patrick Cornett), each story has an impressive and creative illustration drawn by Michelle Merlini to introduce it. These illustrations are highlights. Great job from both artists.

And to find out this wa
Michael J.
Twelve stories with evocative black and white illustrations preceding each entry, and a short biography of each author.
This is one of the most satisfying themed anthologies I've read. Usually there are one or two clunkers in the bunch, or stories that become tedious or boring because of the repetitive themes. I rated four of twelve stories as 4 Stars (above average, exceeds expectations), five as 3.5 Stars (above average), and 3 as 3 Stars (meets expectations, satisfies).
My favorite of the bu
Brett Talley
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
When I saw that Graeme Reynolds and Glenn Rolfe, not to mention Jonathan Janz, were in this book, I knew I had to have it. Reynolds' High Moor series are the best werewolf books ever written, while Glenn's Blood and Rain come close to matching them. So I had high expectations. And let me tell you - - they not only met them, they exceeded them. This is a book for folks who like their werewolves bloody and raw, werewolves who, if they saw a sparkling vampire, they'd eat them. Don't miss out. ...more
Steve Stred
Jan 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
** Edited as review is now live on Kendall Reviews! **

A WEREWOLF ANTHOLOGY! Featuring Garton, Janz, Rolfe and more!!

YUP!

If you read any of my reviews, you’ll know my love for all things lycanthrope – so this was an easy choice when it was offered for review.

We get a number of fun tales; Matt Serafini and Graeme Reynolds delivered some gorey times and Jeff Strand rounded up the tail end of the release with a Wolf Hunt prequel story, but I’m going to go through my fav’s from the batch.

The antholog
Kenneth Skaldebø
I had high expectations to the first anthology collection from Horrific Tales Publishing, and I am happy to say that it did not disappoint! Great selection of stories here by writers who know their craft! Most of the stories are set in already established werewolf series, so, if there are one or two stories that speaks to you (most of them will), then you are in luck, there is more to read!
Here is something for the werewolf connoisseur, violent, gory, exciting and funny. Its werewolves in all th
Taylor
Jan 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: collection, werewolf
As a huge fan of werewolves, I was obligated to investigate this when it came across my kindle. Conclusion: a decent little anthology! Overall I'd say 3 stars, but the stories I enjoyed, I really did like.

Pros: Werewolves! I definitely found more books I want to read from some of the authors based on their stories. there was a good mix of time periods and settings spread throughout. Something for everyone.

Cons: Not one female author in the bunch and it definitely shows. More than one of the sto
Lora Milton
Sep 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
An entire anthology of werewolf stories from mostly known werewolf authors, what's not to love?

I've read several of the authors included before, most notably Graeme Reynolds and Jeff Strand. Their stories, Blood Relations and Ivan's Night Out respectively, had a connection to the novels I've read; The High Moor series by Graeme Reynolds which holds first place for great werewolf fiction IMO, and Wolf Hunt by Jeff Strand which was a fun read, gore and all.

Other highly notable stories included are
Bruce Blanchard
Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
There is something about a pack of werewolf stories that the blood is running faster in your body, the inner hairs underneath your human skin pop out, the image of the moon looms larger in your eyes. Vampires can be decadent or modern, suave, urbane, but werewolves are primal, bestial, vicious in their attacks - they are closer to a pure monster. They are territorial and protect their own. I love werewolves. And werewolf stories. Leaders of the Pack: A Werewolf Anthology has 12 short stories to ...more
Debbi Smith
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Nick
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Above Average Anthology

As ever with anthologies, some are better than others. That said, there was only one or two stories here that fell a little flat for me, and several I considered excellent, with the balance above average. If you like werewolf stories, and well written horror stories, then you should probably buy this book. It's worth your money and time.
Mark Farley
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Five minutes after reading this book, a werewolf arrived at my door, reached down my throat and tore out my spine. Now I'm just a brain in a jar but it was all totally worth it because they saved my eyeballs which means I can read this book all over again. ...more
Mylene
Feb 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
For all the wolves out there

I picked up this book for 3 reasons: the authors, the incredible cover art (awesome way to reel readers in —shout out goes to Patrick Cornett and inside illustrations by Michelle Merlini), and I’m a sucker for werewolves.

A couple of things you should know... not all the stories are great, per se, but they are extremely well-written. There is definitely something here for everyone and some uniqueness to boot.

Stories that are MUST READS:

1. David Wellington with Hunters
Ciara Jean
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Guys. This was so fucking good. Soo damn good. I was really stoked when I preordered this book a couple months back because I saw a handful of my favorite authors in here. THEN I WAS EVEN MORE STOKED TO FIND OUT SOME OF MY FAVORITE CHARACTERS WERE IN HERE AS WELL. 6 out of 5 stars. I'm so happy I was able to reunite with some old friends. ...more
Teresa Tidwell
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Excellent Collection!

Wow! Finally an anthology filled with wonderful stories! I read this book in one sitting today. Great werewolf horror is difficult to find, at least for me, and in this book I found it full of them. Several from some of my favorite authors, and the rest from authors I was completely unfamiliar with...Until now! I highly recommend this book to any fan of the werewolf genre!
Yvonne Davies
I haven't read a werewolf story in a while, so when Leaders of the Pack was published, with 12 short stories I knew I could get my fix of werewolf stories.
As with all anthologies I always have my favorite stories and this was no different. For this review, I will mention these.
Hunter's Moon by David Wellington. The story follows Laura Caxton as she hunts down a vampire. This story had quite a few supernatural characters which were all important to the stories. It was fast-paced as you follow L
Daniel Dickerson
Mar 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Great anthology about the giant, furry beasts of myth. There were a lot of great stories in there, and I enjoyed a good 98% of them. The second to last one was utterly meh at the least, and downright annoying at the most with how repetitive it was, and its apparent need to spell everything out. Like no, I GET it, I've gotten it since the first three pages, and the repetitive nature didn't help out either. Instead of enhancing the wordplay and being clever with it, it instead just reminds of when ...more
Charlotte
Dec 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Devoured these short stories in one weekend. Utterly addictive! 5***
Griffin
Feb 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book. You will find stories within all the spectrum of werewolf mythos you can think of. As a gift of divinity, shamanism, disease, etc. Each of these authors bring a particular focus to the table that just suits the very known critters. Specifically, some of these stories might remind you of the Teen Wolf Series, and a movie available in [url=https://www.123movies.army][/url] called American Werewolf on London, that depicts the struggle of a young man against the inner beast. Really awe ...more
Janine Pipe
May 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely LOVED this book. Whilst I thoroughly enjoyed every single story, my favourites (and it is hard to pick because they were all good and very varied) were the Rolfe, Janz and Reynolds stories. There is a good mix of US and UK writers and settings and each piece of writing is vastly different. There were some really original and clever ideas, as well as classic lore and tropes. highly recommended to anyone who likes werewolves and a fantastic antho to add to your collection if, like me, ...more
John
Feb 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
One look at the cover should tell you that this is not going to be one of those touchy-feely "Ohmigosh I'm a werewolf! What must I do?" type of werewolf books. These are not your 'Team Jacob' from "Twilight". No, it's more like the werewolves in this anthology are more along the lines of 'Team Ravenously Hungry' and the rest of us are 'Team Seriously Screwed'. ...more
TJ
Feb 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In all fairness, there are probably a couple of points I should express before I start this review. #1: I'm not a great fan of short stories and, #2: Werewolf horror ranks only slightly higher on my list than supernatural horror. (I'm not a big follower of either.) So, dear reader, armed with that information, you'd guess that I wasn't too enamored with "Leaders of the Pack: A Werewolf Anthology", wouldn't you?

Well, you're wrong. This tasty little compilation is filled with a number of entertain
Veronik Durocher
Sep 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Good!

Some stories were good and some even excellent! Even if I'm not a hardcore fan of werewolves stories, I had a lot of fun and discovered some fine artists in that book. I'm pleased I gave it try!
Gina Stead
Mar 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
A very entertaining werewolf collection with some very different ideas and styles of writing. I enjoyed them all though some more than others. Stand outs for me were the ones by Nick Stead and Graeme Reynolds.
Jesse Bollinger
Feb 11, 2020 rated it liked it
A great collection of werewolf stories. As with most anthologies, some stories are better than others but everything was at least good and entertaining.
Angela Crawford
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book!! I got to visit some worlds I missed reading about in stories from Graeme Reynolds, Glenn Rolfe, and Jonathan Janz. I discovered new worlds that I want to learn more about. The folks over at Horrific Tales have hit a homerun once again with this hair raising collection of lycanthrop brilliance. A solid 5 star read. Highly recommended!
Jeff McIntosh
Jan 27, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020-reads
I was excited to see the publication of "Leaders of the pack", as I don't see may werewolf anthologies...last one I saw was Jones' "Mammoth Book of Wolf Men" in 2009. All of the stories in "Leaders" are original to the volume. Aside from Garton, who contributed one story, none of the authors were known to me.

I wanted to really like this anthology...werewolves are like the Rodney Dangerfield of monsters - they don't get any respect.....an individual who changes into an unreasoning killing machine
Jeff
This collection, like so many horror anthologies, is inconsistent. Where the authors are creative and bold, the book shines, but where authors take an easier route, the reader suffers. Most of the stories in the collection are of the serious, more-horror-than-adventure variety. Some are completely original in their mythology, and a few are genuinely scary. The cover art as well as the illustrations with each story make the collection a must-have for werewolf lovers.
Monte
Aug 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Not bad!

Although these aren't really short stories, as few of them are stand alone works, they are all exceptionally well written and easy to read. Enjoy!
Ali Molenaar
Apr 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Warning: this is an anthology you shouldn't read before bedtime. There were scary stories in this one. Some of the best stories: David Wellington - Hunter's Moon. There is something to say about a combination of werewolves and vampires: they are both really scary. And I liked vampire hunter Laura.
David Watkins - The original. Really interesting because of the Roman look to werewolves, a direction I never thought of.
Jonathan Janz - The Kiss of Divna Antonov. The ladies are werewolves.
Thomas Emson
Serenity
Jan 16, 2020 rated it liked it
Disappointed

I was looking so forward to this book. Other than Janz and Strand, I wasn't very impressed with the other stories.
Goodreads Librari...: add book to profile 4 260 Jan 14, 2020 02:41AM

• Autumn Bleeds Into Winter
  • Allison
  • Wolf Hunt 3
  • The Roo
  • Apex Predator: Blood Moon: Book Two of the Apex Predator Series
  • The Reddening
  • Rise (The White Wolf Series Book 2)
  • Behemoth
  • Asylum of Shadows
  • Claw
  • True Crime
  • Blood and Rain
Graeme Reynolds is an exile from the North East of England, hiding out in the South West where he spends his time thinking up new ways to terrify people.

You can read more of his work on his web-site:

News & Interviews

When it comes to the romance genre, second books can be a bit like second dates, can't they? You've had that great initial meet-cute with...