Start by marking “Elastic Habits: Good Habits That Adapt to Your Day” as Want to Read:
Elastic Habits: Good Habits That Adapt to Your Day

Elastic Habits: Good Habits That Adapt to Your Day

Habits That Bend Don’t Break

Why do so many sincere attempts to build good habits fail?

We try our best to be consistent, but some days are better than others. Inevitably, we fail when “life happens,” because each day we try to hit the same targets regardless of the situations we face. How, then, can we make our habits more resilient to the turbulence of life?

By m

Published November 8th 2019 by Selective Entertainment LLC

To ask other readers questions about Elastic Habits, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Elastic Habits

Start your review of Elastic Habits: Good Habits That Adapt to Your Day
Lorena
Jan 03, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have mixed feelings about this book. I really liked the author’s idea of an elastic system of habits that adapts to your changing needs. However, Nietzsche once wrote, “It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book.” I feel like this author would do well to adopt a similar ambition. He takes too long to get to the point and uses too many awkward metaphors.

Here are some of the things I appreciated about this book. The discussion of strengths and weaknesses of differe
Isheeka
Jun 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I suspected that a book about flexible, adaptable, 'elastic' habits would suit me better than most habit books, and I was right. I really like the compassionate and realistic approach that the author takes in recommending a habit system that works on both your worst and best days.

Though the tracking and gamification aspects of the system aren't really my cup of tea (I'm not about to put up posters and stickers in my already messy house), I have started thinking of my habits in terms of mini, pl
Sagar Chamoli
Sep 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help

This is the second book i have read of Stephen Guise. His first one was mini habits for weight loss. I really liked that book and decided to go with this book and I made a right decision :)

The book lays down very simple & effective process to built in habits. You can have 3 different type to achieve it and have 3 intensity for it. Easy, medium and hard. The easy one should be such that no matter how bad your day is you still manage to do it and depending on your schedule you can manage
Dan Sumption
An interesting (and perhaps effective - the proof will be in the pudding, which I have only started eating) system for habit formation and self improvement. The key to this system is that your flexible daily goals include a "mini" level, one that you can complete in a minute or less. As the key to habit formation is regular action, this ensures that you don't give up, and this your habit is strengthened, even on days when you're very busy or low on willpower.

Unfortunately the book isn't particul
David
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Awesome!!

Another awesome book by Stephen Guise. He knocked if out of the park in this one and I’m just as excited about this as I was with his mini habits book I highly recommend this. Read it if you want to change your life in a positive way with little chance of failing.
Omkar Mankame
Jun 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! I have been reading a lot of habit-forming books but this is the best of the lot. It is the only book that realises that we are prone to slacking off if the goal is too hard. It introduces a novel concept of dividing habits in three buckets and setting up nine alternatives to help you achieve it. If you struggle with following up with the habits you want to cultivate, this can change your life.
Julia
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When I first saw the information coming out about “Elastic Habits” by Stephen Guise, I wondered how he could have improved on “Mini Habits” in any meaningful way. But let me tell you: I am SO excited about this book and the new habit system he has in place. It’s pure genius! I highlighted like crazy, took lots of notes, and began formulating my new habits about halfway through. Remarkable new ideas, suggestions, and options. I really believe I’ll have greater lasting habit creation than ever bef ...more
Krista
Apr 03, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd already been thinking about my exercise habit as flexible, so when I saw the title, I had a feeling this would resonate.
I'm very excited to try out the elastic habits system. I've long bounced back and forth between being bored and overwhelmed by life. I love being able to customize systems. All in all, a great fit for me!

The book itself is fine. A lot of selling you on the ideas and fleshing them out, but I feel like I was already sold.
Jordan Butterfield
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An amazing book, an even better strategy

I’ve been using the Mini Habit system for nearly a year now, and my life has drastically improved. And now Elastic Habits are here, not to replace mini habits, but to improve them.

The biggest issue with mini habits is that little voice inside your head telling you you’ll never get anywhere if that’s all you do, as well as the uncertainty of where to go after you’ve done that one pushup for the day.

Elastic habits address this issue and many more. Some peop
Maria
Sep 19, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: productivity
Having read The Power of Habit and Atomic Habits, I've been more than a little obsessed with building new and strong habits in my daily life, however I found that there were some habits which I was incredibly resistant to doing no matter how small and easy I made them to accomplish. Elastic habits was almost like the final piece in the puzzle for me and has made the way I approach some of my habits much healthier as it softened my perfectionist/failure mindset. I'm only giving this book 3 stars ...more
Melissa Davlin
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great follow-up to Mini Habits. I often did the minimum Mini Habit for the day, and nothing more. While it was better than nothing, this has me pushing myself when I feel like I have more energy and time. I'm already reading, meditating and cleaning more, and I'm excited to see my progress as the weeks go on. ...more
Tara Brabazon
This book shows how to create behaviours and habits when life 'happens.' At its most basic, this book shows how to keep moving towards a goal - with flexibility. It is a straight forward book. But does show how to achieve an aim when barriers get in the way.

OK. Not brilliant. OK.
A.M.
Mar 31, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own, e-books
I really enjoyed the mini habits book - the theory is that setting the bar so low you could fall over it works on our odd brains.
One push-up? While I’m down here I may as well do two! Or three…
But how does it help you to hit larger goals?
So what he has done is stretched them; both horizontally and vertically. He explains it in the book. [of COURSE he does, AM - shut up, brain]
So you would have three levels: mini, plus, and elite. Say, one, five or ten push-ups.
And to stretch it the other way you
Michael Milad
Aug 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A New Approach to Habit forming

Elastic Habits suggests a different approach to Habit forming - we've all been told the importance of habits, and the main thing that's been ingrained is the importance of discipline when forming habits - you've got to persist, regardless of how you're feeling, what surprises develop during the day or regardless of that meteor that's meant to hit earth in a few hours. I've usually found this rigidity to be very of putting, making habit formation a burden rather th
Eliza
Feb 10, 2021 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
After reading Atomic Habits (my absolute #1 favorite in this subject) and Deep Work (okaish for people in academia or those who write for a living), Elastic Habits was a bit underwhelming. The “elastic habit system” is great: track 3 habits at a time. Each habit has three intensity levels: Mini, Plus, Elite and each level can be accomplished in three different ways. So 9 options every day for each habit to keep you interested and to adapt to your fluctuating daily schedule. Great idea! But the a ...more
Matthias Hernandez
This is a practical guide with very clear directions of the author’s “elastic habits” system.
The author uses his own experience as a basis for his examples, which is easy to connect to even when the anecdotes are silly.
I have two criticisms about the book. First, it is way longer than it should be: it felt like a lot of material was repeated multiple times. Second, the book reads at times like an ad for the author’s merchandise.
Overall, I enjoyed the book and I am looking forward to trying out
Sandra
Mar 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book could be considered an interesting sequel of sorts to James Clear's Atomic Habits, although perhaps not quite as neatly crafted. I really liked the practical ideas and applications--something which is often missing or downplayed in many books of this sort. My only beef is the dirth of practical ideas for tracking. The author could likely make some decent money designing an app that will accommodate all the "elastic" characteristics of his habits approach. ...more
Vana Papagianni
Jul 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Edcellent

Best book on habits and motivation. I wish I'd known about it 20 years ago, but it is never too late. Incredibly easy to read and best practical useful book I've ever read in my life! The new mindset and strategy presented in this book is unparalleled to anything else that exists. The system should be great for kids and adults alike! This book should be taught at schools.
Zachary
Aug 03, 2020 rated it liked it
Good book decent strategies some jokes didn't hit home for me

I enjoyed the book and the discussion around choosing freedom vs giving it up with other habit systems.

The book just got a little too specific in ways the author tried it out in their own life while admitting it's not a one size fits all system. I do plan on trying it out. Just seems like there were more words than were necessary.
Erica
Mar 08, 2021 rated it liked it
Repetitive and self-congratulatory… but an interesting system

I wish the author backed up what he was suggesting with more science and less salesmanship - there’s a ton of “this system is the besssssstttt!” fluff in this book, and so much repetition, plus the entire last chapter is about MORE STUFF you can buy from him. Yikes. But the core principles seem interesting and workable, and if the book were condensed to about ten pages it would be great.
sri
Mar 22, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book but understood and liked mini habits more than elastic. y ? Simplicity.
- Basically create habit routines of what you want to do.
- For each create a minimal task that you can perform in very less time and cant say no to.
- Now work on them every day.
Y it works - ur not penalizing self. Thus your brain treats it as reward. Keeps the flow. Eventually unconscious mind picks up. habit hook ✅
Mary Jedde
Jan 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book provided a fresh perspective on how to form habits. It is not as intimidating as other resources I've come across. I am currently on experimentation mode and trying out the concepts of the book. Recommended to anyone who finds it difficult to avoid "the flinch" of starting or trying to acquire a new skill or habit. ...more
Abigail
Feb 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is actually realistic!

This system actually makes sense in real life. Sticking to habits is difficult for me. This system addresses many of my challenges in a way that gives me hope that I'll regain confidence in my own ability to develop positive habits toward my broader goals.
Rob
Feb 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Unique and exciting twist on habits

I am so excited after finishing this book and can't wait to get started designing and setting up my elastic habits system. I loved Mini Habits but I got a lot more out of this book. The built-in flexibility fits my lifestyle and the tracking options make accountability easy.
Andreina Garban
Apr 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have mix feelings about Elastic Habits. I really LOVED Mini-Habits, and Stephen really made me understand the big power of it. But in this one, I really struggled with the information. And although the practicality of the information seems easy, I keep thinking I was missing the simplicity of the first book. I will try some of the techniques though.
Elizabeth Hesler
Jun 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic Idea

I enjoyed the message and tone of the book. I have a new level of optimism and excitement to finally make some changes in my life. I had my first win yesterday by allowing for a ‘plus’ win. It wasn’t my target for the day, but it was better than the “well one can’t get my exact target so I’ll just skip today.”
Shay Lynn
Jul 11, 2020 rated it it was ok
Stopped reading ...

.. probably sooner than I should have. There are probably some useful ideas here. But the author's description of how he got ready to write this book was just silly. Really? Drinking, gambling, gorging and turning into an overweight couch potato as a literary gambit? I'm surprised he didn't go all out and find a meth dealer.
Nancy Robrecht
Feb 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Revolutionary

For the 1st time in my life I am excited about setting goals because I feel like I can be successful. This is a serious how to book not just a bunch of theory. I certainly appreciate Stephen Guise for all of his research in habit forming.
Vanguard
Feb 23, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not very interesting read.

I couldn't really understand what author was saying.Skipped a lot of pages.

The basic idea is like that your daily goals should not be fixed but elastic depending upon your energy and motivation levels.
Cara W
Mar 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A book following minihabits, with more flexibility to allow even better success.

Pick mini-habits, have 3 options of related theme, and 3 levels of intensity. Can always do the minimum and get a win, or push to mid or high level.

• Undo It!: How Simple Lifestyle Changes Can Reverse Most Chronic Diseases
  • Midnight in Chernobyl: The Untold Story of the World's Greatest Nuclear Disaster
  • Big Sky (Jackson Brodie, #5)
  • Rising Strong
  • When She Returned
  • The Yukon Trail: A Tale of the North
  • The Total Money Makeover: A Proven Plan for Financial Fitness
  • The Test
  • Titan: The Life of John D. Rockefeller, Sr.
  • Alone Time: Four Seasons, Four Cities, and the Pleasures of Solitude
  • The Pentagon Papers
  • The Return of Alfred
  • The Atlantis Trilogy; Boxset (The Origin Mystery #1-3)
  • Providence
  • It's Not About You: A Brief Guide to a Meaningful Life
  • You're Never Weird on the Internet (Almost)
  • The True Secret of Writing: Connecting Life with Language