Start by marking “The Fiction Formula: The New Rules of Self Publishing Success” as Want to Read:
The Fiction Formula: The New Rules of Self Publishing Success

The Fiction Formula: The New Rules of Self Publishing Success

All you need to know to be a full-time storyteller is in these pages.

Johnny Truant and Sean M. Platt -- owners of the Sterling & Stone Story Studio and authors of the how-to-publish cornerstone Write. Publish. Repeat -- have spent the last eight years learning the ins and outs of professional storytelling. Between just the two of them, they've written 100 books. The
Published December 11th 2019

To ask other readers questions about The Fiction Formula, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fiction Formula

Start your review of The Fiction Formula: The New Rules of Self Publishing Success
Jane Night
Dec 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Synopsis: This is a nonfiction book about writing fiction. It is a companion to Write, Publish, Repeat. Please note I received an ARC copy of this book however my review is honest, true, and in no way influenced by receipt of the ARC.

My Rating:
5/5

I absolutely loved Write, Publish, Repeat. It is one of those books I tell every indie author I meet that they need to pick up.

I feel very similarly about the Fiction Formula however I do feel that those who are just dipping their toe into writing will
Ellen Bard
Dec 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm a longtime fan of Sterling and Stone, but even so was really impressed by this book, which contains a comprehensive review of activities needed from pre to post publication and everything inbetween. The authors discuss how to professionalise your writing and marketing and all the bits around it, including reminding authors they are running a business.
I've enjoyed following the authors over the last 5 years and this contains a huge amount of wisdom and advice distilled into easily accessible
Cora Foerstner
Jan 22, 2020 rated it liked it
Disappointing

There are a few nuggets, but most of the book is rambling, often vague and repetitive discussions of how the authors work. The discussion on 4 acts rather than 3 acts was particularly tedious and awkward. Dividing act 2 into two distinct parts is a common point made in many books on writing and done with more finesse and detail. I skimmed page after page. The discussions on finding your genre, their pre-writing process, and some of their advice for new writers on launches and
Juneta Key
Dec 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I own and read Write, Publish, Repeat by these authors when they released along with the follow up to it Iterate and Optimize. This book is even better in that there is so much more to it with great tips that cover everything you need to know to go Indie of today. There is a lot to learning in an always changing industry but this book will definitely help you navigate it. A great addition to your own writer's bookshelf.

I received a free ARC copy of this book and am voluntarily leaving a review.
Margie Sullivan
Jan 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I'd recommend this book and have to say it was better than I expected. A lot of these books just regurgitate the same information that either they, or someone else, have said before. It was well written and easy to follow, although it would have benefitted from a summary of the so-called Formula at the end. If I have a criticism, it's that I don't understand why writers of these writing self-help books insist on referring to movies as examples rather than books.
Erynn
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A must-read for any indie author thinking long term.

This book is a goldmine of strategies for indie authors, especially those starting out and looking to build a long career. I was tempted to highlight half of the book while reading, it was so good... But I settled for highlighting the parts I thought were absolutely key and planning to re-read it in the future. Practical strategies and advice on book structure, series planning, launching, and business as an author.

The content of The Fiction
Antoine Bandele
Jan 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
You can get most of this for free on their podcast but if you want something that’s more easy to digest this ain’t bad.
Brendan O'prey
Linda Gordon
Jill Wilcox
Jason Fuhrman

• One-Click Cover: The Insider's Guide to Book Covers That Convert
  • Write. Publish. Repeat. (The No-Luck-Required Guide to Self-Publishing Success)
  • Ralph Masiello's Farm Drawing Book
  • Million Dollar Marriage (Million Dollar, #2)
  • Six Merry Little Murders: Christmas Cozy Mystery Novellas
  • Typin’ ‘Bout My Generation: Write the legacy only you can leave (Stone Table Book 3)
  • Chronicles of Hate (Chronicles of Hate, #1)
  • Die, Vol. 1: Fantasy Heartbreaker
  • The Mating Season (Jeeves, #9)
  • The Bad Seed (The Bad Seed, #1)
  • Fiction Unboxed
  • Into The Darkness: Hook Your Readers (Stone Tablet Singles Book 3)
  • You Must Write: Success Through Heinlein's Rules (Build A Writing Career Series Book 2)
  • Operation Starfold (Pirates of the Milky Way, #7)
  • Make Me No Grave
  • The Golden Hawk
  • Radical Focus: Achieving Your Most Important Goals with Objectives and Key Results
“I used to start on page one and see where the story took me, but I must have done it wrong because for many years it took me nowhere.” 0 likes