Start by marking “Of Water and Moonlight (Thunderbird Academy Book 1)” as Want to Read:
Of Water and Moonlight (Thunderbird Academy Book 1)

Of Water and Moonlight

(Thunderbird Academy #1)

My power could save my friends—or destroy them.

As I start a new semester at Thunderbird Academy, I have a lot to live up to. News of my sisters' courageous fight against the Ancient evil has spread, and now, everyone expects the same greatness from me.

But all I want to do is:
1) Find my dad.
2) Figure out why my magic has suddenly gone on the fritz.

It would be a
Published November 21st 2019

To ask other readers questions about Of Water and Moonlight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Of Water and Moonlight

Start your review of Of Water and Moonlight (Thunderbird Academy Book 1)
Mona  Brown
Aug 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great start

I absolutely love this book. I took turns reading and listening to this book and all I can say is wow.... I just love it. The story will keep you interested from beginning to end, all the different characters will have you laughing, and shaking your head and wanting to know more. Even if you do want to yell at them a few times until you remember that they are just teens.
Kay Moody
Nov 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Maddie is my new favorite Hawthorne sister. I would say she's my favorite character in this world, except Aiden wins that title hands down. These characters were so fun!!

I loved the academy setting. I loved all the tension between Maddie and Aiden. The romance was delightful. I also liked the teachers.

The friendships were also amazing. It was fun to see Maddie have a great group of friends that she could count on during difficult times.

This book ends on a cliffhanger, but it made me really excit
Tessonja Odette
Aug 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya-fantasy
This book was so good! A little bit academy, a little bit shifter and elemental magic, and some solid romantic tension with an enemies to lovers/forbidden love plot. I can’t wait to read more in this series!
Debbie Eyre
Jan 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This YA paranormal romantic academy read is Full of magic, adventure, and romance. It’s well written and hooked me from the very first page with its gripping storyline that is full of magic, suspense, romance and twists and turns you will not see coming. Love the characters and their relationships and look forward to reading more!

Kristin Dawson
Sep 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Perfect, fluffy fun PNR. Exactly what I needed to escape this wild year. Valia can create a whirlwind romance while keeping it PG-rated. A rare feat!
Rose Garcia
Jul 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What an fun read!

I absolutely loved Of Water and Moonlight! This book had it all-- a sexy and mysterious wolf shifter, and fun and totally relatable witch still coming into her own, and an ancient enemy! Bonus--a super fun school setting! I wanted to stay in the world and was so sad when it ended. Looking forward to continuing the series!
Rebel
Jul 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. I love paranormal stories with witches and shifters in them and this was no exception. Right from the start it had a smooth flow to the writing. I couldn't put it down. There were a few spelling errors, missing letters and extra words that don't belong but it didn't take away from the flow. I would definitely recommend this story.

This is my voluntary and honest review.
Bethany
Feb 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Maddie is a Hawthorne sister and is known for performing a spell against the Ancients. If the stares of her peers at Thunderbird Academy wasn't bad enough, her dad is missing as well and Maddie will do anything to find him. However, her friends Liam and Kate haven't returned to the school because of the threat of the Ancients, leaving her alone. However, her new roommate Jade doesn't seem so bad and doesn't treat her differently like everyone else does.

Enter Aiden. He's a brooding shifter that s
Aimee Bower
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Maddie went back to Thunderbird Academy after helping her sisters with the spell against the Ancients. She is was use to flying under the radar. Now everyone knows who she is and what she helped do. She doesn't like the attention. Her friends from the first year have decided not to attend the academy this year, so she alone. She meets her new roommate, they seem to hit it off. She goes about her studies.
She sees a new group of boys talking, one of them catches her attention. She keeps walking, e
Reena
Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
First let me say that this is my first Valia Lind book, and I totally loved it! Although I haven't read the previous series (which I'll definitely read as soon as possible), it wasn't hard for me to follow the story. The author has done a great job providing background information so that new readers don't fell lost. That being said, the book was mind-blowing! I loved each and every character, especially Maddie and Aiden. Their relationship is complicated right from the start, but there's no den ...more
diana
Jun 12, 2020 rated it liked it
Review originally posted on My Bookish Escapades.

Rating: 3.5 of 5 stars

It's such a good feeling to have to know that I still love Valia Lind's writing as much as I did the first time I read her earlier works.

Of Water and Moonlight is a fast-paced, romantic and highly entertaining read. Maddie is a likable heroine that you would root for from the very beginning. I honestly don't know though if there's a series I should have read first before this one? (Silver lining, that would mean more Valia L
Feb 14, 2021 rated it liked it
I was hoping for more

In order of importance to me:
(-) Insta-love without relationship development
(-) hingeing wholly on the concept of "soulmates" - a special "one" that you just are destined for rather than someone you actually get to know and love; completely downplaying friendship & character in favour of sexual tension & physical attractiveness
(-) lack of actual academy genre - they go to classes but you don't actually get to see or learn anything of what goes on in these classes
(-) blatantl
Aizlynne
Nov 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a great read. The world Valia Lind sets up is very entertaining. I found out after reading this book that there are others in the world that would explain more backstory. Heck, ya I'm going to read those!
I enjoy the characters a great deal. I had no idea who the villain was and the reveal was a great twist. The development of the relationship between the two main characters was confusing at first but later was explained satisfactorily. My one complaint is the spelling and other grammar
Shweta
Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Though this is book 1 in the series, it is connected to the Hawthorne Witches series.

This connect made it very easy for me to dive into this book and enjoy it. Maddi was one of the youngest Hawthorne sisters and we saw little of her in the previous books, but one thing was clear even then, she was powerful.

This series is about Maddi, her journey and her growth into her powers.

As usual there's a romantic angle and the ancients which have been a major focus of the Hawthorne series.

All in all a fas
Erin
Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great start to this series. Maddie is well written into this story and is very relate-able. Being at Thunderbird Academy and being expected to live up to her sisters greatness, is not easy. She already has her mission on what she wants and she doesn't want any distractions even from guys. Though she learns soon enough she may have to fight to protect her friends and the academy. Looking forward to the next book.
I received a free copy of this book via Booksprout and am voluntarily leaving a revie
Heather Quarnstrom
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was a great start to a new series. I likes that it started in the middle of something. At first it felt like I missed something but the book slowly reveals the past. I liked that there was no heavy info dump to slog through like some books.

The world was fantastically developed, all the characters were fully formed. There was a great mystery involved too.

So if you like supernatural books with mystery, sort-of romance, magic and more then this book is for you.

I can't wait to see what happens
MommaT
Jan 22, 2021 rated it really liked it
I listened to this one and was hooked right away! This being the first I've read of Valia Lind's, I wasn't aware I came in on a spin-off, however, she gave enough descriptions, when needed, that I felt like I knew enough to go on.
The world building was great, and I really enjoyed the characters.
The story has a dark cloud over it as The Ancients had arisen after a long sleep of sorts and were trying to take back the world, each group of magical beings and their territories, as quickly as possi
Laura Martinez
Dec 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is the first book I’ve read from this author and I’m impressed.

The narrator did a wonderful job narrating the story. I felt like she was a good choice to be Maddie’s voice.

The story was very enjoyable. We have forbidden love, fae, shifters, witch, and elemental magic. I absolutely loved it. Looking forward to digging into the rest of the series and discovering what else the author has written. Highly recommend.
Veronica Lopez
Witches and Shifters

Omg, this book is amazing I loved it. The story continues from Hawthorn Chronicles series. I can't say enough about this book without giving away teasers. I love Maddies lingo she gets from her dad. The twists to this story I was not expecting. I love it. Plus it dosen't leave a huge cliffhanger which I absolutely loved.
Lori
Dec 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Received as a review copy, this is an honest review. This reminded me of Harry Potter with the magical academy and how the main character of Maddie hawthorn not really wanted to be a hero. The magic was done and the Ancients that are rising again, causing a whole bunch of trouble was scary and cool. A worthy read. Recommended.
Dayzee
Mar 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Witches and Wolves RULE!!! 💫🐺

I freaking Loved it! i couldn’t stop reading! im binge reading this series now! I love the angs, the magic, and heartbreak! the chemistry was so good but unfortunately also forbidden! why!? well gotta read! i need to know if they can find a way to be together! 😱😭💔. i read this with my kindle unlimited
Lisa
Jun 01, 2020 rated it it was ok
Boring

Told from Maddies POV; the storyline drags along with no real action. The characters are not developed at all. Maddie just constantly talks about Aiden all the time which is really annoying. Aiden is an Alpha wolf but is betrothed to someone else. I sometimes felt the chemistry between them but both are as annoying as each other.
Lorie
Jun 09, 2020 rated it did not like it
Boring read..

The storyline was very boring. It was repetitive and no actions really. The story is about a witch who meet this guy who she did not like and how the alarm would sounds when danger is near repeatedly. Description of day to day routine was told. The romance development was so slow. Boring and predictable. .ended up as a DNF.
Heather Bane
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a really great book. Loved the characters and the storyline was well written. I found this book hard to put down. I recommend reading.

Jessica Williams
Nov 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Great Start

Slow burn, magic, action, academy, witches, shifters, ancient evil and betrayal!!! This story has all the things and will make you have all the feels. I loved the surprise villain, I was not expecting that at all. I really enjoyed this book.
Tenna Chatman
Feb 16, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Just amazIng!

I'm not usually into witch books, but this one is definitely different. These are good people and not doing evil ( except for maybe one). Lots if angst, friendships that are strong, and bad creatures. Lively.
Sarah Black
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I just love Maddie's story! She is a fierce take charge character. Her story will draw you in and you won't be able to stop reading. Can't wait to read more of her story. ...more
Amber
Suspense and friendship

A girl learning to trust in herself and her magic. A fantastic story full of suspense and mystery. Cannot wait for book 2!!
Scarolet Ellis
Dec 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Of Water and Moonlight (Thunderbird Academy Book 1) by Valia Lind is a wonderful story to read. This is book number one in this wonderful start to a brand new series that I have fallen in love with. I highly recommend this story to everyone who loves reading about the magic and paranormal romances.

I received a free copy of this book via Story Origin and am voluntarily leaving a review.
Tayra Sanders
Jan 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book is totally worth the read. Every page will have you enthralled and panting for more. Let’s not forget to mention the chemistry of these two.

• Bloodshed Academy: Year One (Bloodshed Academy, #1)
  • Bloodshed Academy: Year Two (Bloodshed Academy, #2)
  • Wolves' Queen (The Royal Heir, #1)
  • Bloodshed Academy: Year Three (Bloodshed Academy, #3)
  • Bloodline Academy (Bloodline Academy, #1)
  • Bloodline Secrecy (Bloodline Academy, #2)
  • Hades Academy: Fifth Semester
  • New Moon (Alpha Wolf Academy, #1)
  • Stealing Embers (Fallen Legacies, #1)
  • Midnight Lies (Shifter Island, #2)
  • Wicked Hot Magic (Salem Academy #1)
  • Midnight Kisses (Shifter Island, #1)
  • Delayed Admission (Shadow Veil Academy #1)
  • Feline The Heat (The Firehouse Feline, #1)
  • Wolf Unleashed (The Royal Heir, #2)
  • Betrayed by Dragons (Academy of Fire and Ash, #1)
  • Magical Mischief (Magic And Metaphysics Academy, #1)
USA Today Bestselling Author. Photographer. Artist. Born and raised in St. Petersburg, Russia, Valia Lind has always had a love for the written word. She wrote her first published book on the bathroom floor of her dormitory, while procrastinating to study for her college classes. Upon graduation, she has moved her writing to more respectable places, and has found her voice in Young Adult fiction. ...more

Thunderbird Academy (3 books)
  • Of Destiny and Illusions (Thunderbird Academy Book 2)
  • Of Storms and Triumphs (Thunderbird Academy, #3)