Start by marking “The Beast of Buckingham Palace” as Want to Read:
The Beast of Buckingham Palace

The Beast of Buckingham Palace

Fly into a fiery and fantastical future with No. 1 bestselling author David Walliams, in an epic adventure of myth and legend, good and evil, and one small boy who must save the world

Illustrated by the artistic genius Tony Ross!

It is 2120 and London is in ruins.

Published November 21st 2019 by HarperCollinsChildren’sBooks

To ask other readers questions about The Beast of Buckingham Palace, please sign up.
Millard nope but its okay, David Walliams books are more for 6-8 year olds and has a lot of pictures and childish storyline. Archie Wilson is a much better…morenope but its okay, David Walliams books are more for 6-8 year olds and has a lot of pictures and childish storyline. Archie Wilson is a much better plot, real characters and brings the whole of Scottish folk tales into a book and is more for 8-14 year olds. I'm 17 and loved Archie Wilson and would rate it much higher than Beasts of Buckingham Palace.(less)

Start your review of The Beast of Buckingham Palace
Keith (CHINNY) Chinn
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dragons
This was a Christmas present from Gran. (Thanks Gran love you). Its really way below my reading age, I would say max age 11. The story is very short, too many pictures and BOLD capital letters that are annoying.
I was given it as I loved Archie Wilson & The Beasts of Loch Ness Archie Wilson & The Beasts of Loch Ness by Mark A. Cooper . One of the best secret books, I call Archie a secret book as its really unknown the author does not appear next to Simon Cowell on Britains Got talent. That book is a classic.
Back to this, maybe if I was 8 or 9 I
Amy
Dec 18, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I am very disappointed in this book. It was the worst David Walliams I have ever read. It's violent, dark and it promotes violence. It's a shame because some parts were enjoyable. Firstly the story isn't very original, secondly it's suppose to be children's fiction not teen or young adult. I work in a bookshop and I read many children's books and this crossed the line completely. With all the darkness in the world , it's the last thing sensitive readers need. Children are sensitive readers and I ...more
Katy Noyes
Dark dystopia, target market may find themselves confused.

2.5 stars.
By 'confused' I mean that readers may wonder if they are in fact reading Walliams, as well as being a little confused as the story progresses. There is nothing amiss about a writer branching out, sampling new genres and moving outside their comfort zone (comedic writing is clearly a genre Walliams can write almost in his sleep).

But my nearly 9-year-old listened along with me and his assessment was roughly similar to mine upon
Millard
Jan 23, 2020 rated it it was ok
Meh! Cliche characters.
I thought like others it would be more like Archie Wilson & The Beasts of Loch Ness. That is one of my favourites. This is more for younger children 6-8 year olds, has many pictures, has a couple of dark moments so 6 year olds might find it heavy going. Recommend if you have kids who want an audio book to listen to in the car, this would be one to add along with Archie Wilson.

This is the first David Walliams book I have read, put it this way, it will be the last.
Alex Rookes
Jan 01, 2020 rated it liked it
Overall I enjoyed the book, it was simple and the use of pictures was fun. The ending was lacklustre and was my only issue with the book. I would recommend it however it will not be my new favourite book by any means.
Katy Burton
Alice-Elizabeth (marriedtobooks)
Another great read from the author David Walliams, set in a futuristic version of London and a young prince caught up with evil creatures and a plot to overthrow the royal family. I was very excited to get my hands on a library copy just after release date, kids will enjoy this adventure and lots of plot twists!
• Year of Sophie and Amy  • books 2020
A bit of a childish book. I have grown to old for this but I still enjoy some of it.

But I gotta say, walliams is trying to hard to impress now. He used to be so laid back with good books, now it's just for the money or something. Eh, good try anyway.

Recommended for 10 and under
Clive Harrison
Jan 04, 2020 rated it liked it
Not that good really, a waste of money about 2000 words, in total, mostly a picture book, dark and dreary, not sure who the target audience is.
I was expecting it to be like the Archie Wilson and Beasts of Loch Ness book, as its listed in teh same Listopia list. I was wrong. Sorry it was just not for me, I was disappointed that I used some of my months book allowance on this.
Greenglasses
Mar 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
I love how david walliams manages to make everything soooo funny and cool
Chris Horsefield
Mar 09, 2020 rated it liked it
Not what I expected. Strange little novel, yes its a kids book, so it was full of bold letters and drawings. But it has a dark side, maybe not suitable for kids under 8.
Rebecca Hall
Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed it, I love kid's books. My 7 year old daughter got it from the library, I read it first, in less than 5 hours across 2 days.
Angelina
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The book is good, but the ending is sad. And I think there should be a part two to it

- Henry, aged 9
Puddlyduck
Dec 27, 2019 rated it liked it
This book had a great premise but unfortunately didnt quite reach its potential. Shave off some of the WALLOPS and DOLLOPS of onomatopoeia, toilet humour and a few of the superfluous characters and focus on the strengths; namely the mythology, family ties and Alfreds own epiphanies and this book would be a winner.

Im sure many children will love this book but I just felt there were the foundations of so much more there.

* Anybody spot the Dictionary of Walliamisms? It made me inwardly grin and
Steve Jones
Dec 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids
My first book by the author. I read it over 2 days. Not bad. Some dark parts which will make some people cry and some very humorous parts that will make people laugh out loud. The book would be shorter if the author chose not to place in words for every sound made, e.g. the book fell to the flor THUD. That's my only real negative for the book. It seems to be a dig at the way the world is going at the moment politically. I applaud him for that.
Joseph Morden
Jan 03, 2020 rated it liked it
I thought this book was very well written. It was funny and exciting. However, it could be quite dark at times. This is a childrens book so if you are planning to read it, expect some immature humour such as bottom burping. ...more
Julia Smith
Lara Vehar
Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am so out of the age range for this book - but I still enjoyed it weirdly enough.

I am not sure what age range the author aimed for though, because the protagonist is 12, the comic style writing with huge random capital letters and a lot of pictures suggest 8-10 but the story is weirdly dark for a children's book.

Like: There is revolution happening, a lot of people are dying, there is essentially war happening and most of the main characters end up dead by the end of the book, some in more
Tina
I absolutely loved this book, loved how the characters felt like family too! The last 200 pages made the book even more unputdownable, didn't finish reading until 4am! I am such a slow reader lol.

Just wanted to add that I loved this book so much - I read the library copy that I borrowed and I bought this at Tesco this morning, or rather my husband got it for me as I requested it as part of our collection. So now it is part of our household, we love it.
Faye Esprey
Jan 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tammie
Dec 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read- December 2019 for The Winter Magical Readathon (Buddy Read A Book)
Lucy
Feb 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-borrowed
Great quick read, Walliams has such an imagination!
Harry W
Dec 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pug
A brilliantly written book set in a detailed dystopian environment. Amazing character development, but the ending was a bit anticlimactic. Sometimes it made me a bit sad as well...
Rebecca Rouillard
Jan 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didnt want to like this, but annoyingly I did. Not a subtle or sophisticated story but a heartfelt and imaginative madcap adventure with a strong dose of Dahlesque dark humour that would definitely appeal to reluctant readers. I particularly enjoyed the Octobut mechanical butler. ...more
Harrison Saich
Feb 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Lisa Pocklington
Mar 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
ravInous  mordor
Jan 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Onomatopoeia of Buckingham Palace was definitely the most fun l have had reading a book in quite some time.
From the ladies-in-waiting to the many arms of octobut, HURRAY!

The illustrations in this novel is simply superb, Tony Ross take a bow. The writing very creative and even though l am a novice (well probably not even worthy of the title of novice, seeing l only started reading them last week) to Roald Dahl books, David comes surprisingly close and fans should be told of David Williams.
To
Cataluna6
As you can tell from the blurb, this is set in a futuristic London. This did read like a cautionary tale, especially with everything that is going on in the world today, but I don't feel it was too heavy handed.

If you are looking for a sweet uplifting book, or have particularly sensitive readers, I would maybe avoid this for now. There are some scenes in this that may scare younger readers. I read this with my 12 year old cousin and she was a little horrified when I explained the different
gemsbooknook  Geramie Kate Barker
'It is 2120 and London is in ruins.

The young Prince Alfred has never known a life outside Buckingham Palace but when strange goings-on breach its walls and stalk the corridors in the dead of night, he is thrust into a world of mystery, adventure and monsters.

And when his mother, the Queen, is dragged away to the Tower of London, Alfred must screw up his courage and battle to save her, himself and the entire city.'

This book was wonderful.

I am a massive David Walliams fan, so I expected a lot
Matthew
Mar 28, 2020 rated it it was ok
Very generous 2 stars, in large part I thought this was dross. I thought David Walliam's kids books were supposed to be good? It's mostly sub-par Roald Dahl rip offs and at times the plot is like the sort of thing I used to write as a schoolkid. There's no overarching structure, it's just 'and then this happened and then this and then this...' If that wasn't bad enough he describes sounds in the book, like you're watching 70's Batman or something, in bold type, no honestly. THUD! BONG! KERCHOW! ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Taylor TurboChaser: From the million copy best-selling author
  • Tom Gates 17: Tom Gates: Spectacular School Trip (Really.)
  • Pax
  • The Christmasaurus and the Winter Witch
  • Wrecking Ball (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, #14)
  • Sisters
  • Knock Three Times
  • Home Ground
  • Wolf Girl: Into the Wild
  • The Day We Met The Queen: World Book Day 2020
  • Heroes: Mortals and Monsters, Quests and Adventures (Stephen Fry's Great Mythology, #2)
  • AniMalcolm
  • 13 Treasures (Thirteen Treasures, #1)
  • Max Kowalski Didn't Mean It
  • The Star Outside my Window
  • The 117-Story Treehouse: Dots, Plots & Daring Escapes!
  • The Person Controller
  • The Case of the Drowned Pearl: A Murder Most Unladylike Mini-Mystery: World Book Day 2020
David Walliams is an actor and writer best known for his work with Matt Lucas in the multi-award-winning sketch show Little Britain. His debut children's novel, The Boy in the Dress, was published in 2008 to unanimous critical acclaim and he has since developed a reputation as a natural successor to Roald Dahl.