Start by marking “Only Lies Remain” as Want to Read:
Only Lies Remain

Only Lies Remain

Everyone thought Danny Walsh deserted his family when his sons were young. But when Danny's body turns up fifteen years later and his wife, Maura, is implicated in his murder, accusations and old rumours surface.

Aoife rushes in to clear her mother-in-law's name. But why is it that Maura's story surrounding Danny's disappearance doesn't quite add up?

Aoife's investigation un
Published February 19th 2020 by VCB Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Only Lies Remain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Only Lies Remain

Start your review of Only Lies Remain
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
EXCERPT: '...I'll have to tell the boys tonight. '

'Tell them what?'

'Their father. He's dead. '

'Oh no! Oh, Maura, I'm so sorry. He'd come back to Ireland?'

Maura shook her head.

'Jason will be devastated. I know he always says he hates him, but deep down I think he hoped his dad would get in touch someday. If only so he could scream abuse at him for abandoning you.'

'But that's the thing, Aiofe. Danny didn't abandon us.'

'He may have sent you money, Maura, but he still disappeared without a word.'

'N
Linda Strong
Jan 28, 2020 rated it really liked it

Danny Walsh was thought to desert his family 15 years ago. They were wrong .... someone stumbled over his remains today. The cops are looking at his widow ... Maura ... as the prime suspect.

Aoife rushes to her mother-in-law's side ... she doesn't believe for one moment that Maura killed or had her husband killed. But Maura's story is changing a bit.

Now she declares that someone she thought was Danny has been sending her money every month ... for 15 years. If Danny has been dead all these years .
Wulfwyn
Wow! This book! It kept me guessing. I did not see it coming. I was everywhere with who was doing what. I only put it down because I had some health issues crop up. Otherwise this would have been a sit down and read until I’m done book. Every time I had to put it down, my mind was on the book, what happened and what I thought might happen. I am planning to read it again when I’m over this medical thing so that I can read it in one sitting. The plot is twisted. I felt like I couldn’t trust anyone ...more
BreeAnn (She Just Loves Books)
What I Loved:
Only Lies Remain had a way of sucking me straight into the story. I felt like I was enclosed in the book, knew the characters intimately, and was overall so intrigued and needed to know what was going on and what would happen next!

How I Felt:
The Writing: Val Collins has a writing style that keeps the reader guessing. I had no idea who to trust and it kept me on my toes. This book is set in Ireland and there are some names that are difficult to pronounce. The author provides a pronun
☕️Hélène⚜️
Jan 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Rick
Dec 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Only Lies Remain is a psychological thriller that builds from the first page and doesn’t quit until the last paragraph. The protagonist, Aoife is one of those people you think you can push around but she has a hidden strength that can be stretched but never broken. Aoife is featured for the second time in Only Lies Remain, Val Collin's second novel.

Aoife is looking for a job. She has asked her husband to leave, but he is back claiming he wants move home to reconcile with Aoife and also to estab
Jeremy Stewart
Jan 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
*I received a copy of the book from the author in return for my honest review*

This is the first book I have ever read from Val. This has a creepy cover that gave me goosebumps the moment I saw it.

I absolutely loved this book. Val has a unique way of sucking you into the story as you follow every character. This thriller had an amazing plot to it. Great twists having me on the edge of my seat waiting to see what happened next.

Her writing isn't like any other author I have read. She almost made
Gerry
Jan 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Really really good. Loved the characters and the story is fabulous. Kept me guessing all the way to the end. I had my doubts about a few of the characters, but I didn't see the tangled end coming. Well paced and interesting throughout. Highly recommended. ...more
Kathy Webb
Jan 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
I won this Kindle edition book in a Goodreads
Giveaway. Thank you to everyone involved.
A great book. Keeps you guessing!!!
Maria
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow, this book kept me wondering what's going to happen next with every turn of the page. Never expected the ending. ...more
Jasmine
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh MY GOSH. Oh my goodness. I’m, what?!

So now that I’m able to speak, this psychological thriller was absolutely incredible. I was hooked from beginning to end and struggled to stop reading this novel. The plot was so good but the best part was that she kept building on it. When I thought I knew what was going on and how we were going to solve it, she added something else. However, it was in such a way that I didn’t get confused but I did say “wtf no way” more times than I can remember. I truly
Diane Griffiths
Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Giveaway winner!!

Oh wow, this book really got to me. There is so much family interaction and drama with hard feelings and heartache. The plot twists grab you and keep you guessing throughout the story!

I really enjoyed this story and it is one that kept my attention and I was not able to put it down at times. Very well done!!
Elizabeth Mouser
I won this awesome book from a goodreads giveaway! I was hooked from the beginning. The different layers to the psychological thriller kept me guessing until the last 10% of the book! Had a twist I didn't see coming which I love in a book! Val did an amazing job keeping my attention and my anticipation high! They way the story tied together was great! ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Grab your copy 2-19-2020!! ...more
Linda
Dec 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This thriller had my heart racing from the first page. with twists and turns where you least expect, you won't be able to put this down. If you enjoy stories set in Ireland, you will love this book. I received this book as an ARC and this is my honest review. ...more
Anne
Feb 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this pychological thriller. Had me engaged all through with many twists and turns. Had my doubts about one or two of the characters but never expected the ending. I received an advance review copy for free and I am leaving this review voluntarily.
Alex ALEXATTHELAKE
Feb 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to NetGalley for the copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.

I would like to start off by saying I was worried this book would fall into the 'typical thriller' category and let me down. After devouring this book in 24 hours, I was very, very wrong.

Aoife's Father-in-Law was murdered 15 years ago, but his remains were just found. So many questions arise all these years later, leaving her Mother-in-Law to deal with the repercussions and accusations. While she takes on the inv
 Bookoholiccafe
This psychological thriller is set in Ireland. Danny Walsh, Aoife's father in law, has disappeared 15 years ago. while everyone believed he deserted his family all these years, today his remains are found. Police is suspecting Maura, his wife.

Aoife doesn’t believe that Maura had anything to do with it. she thinks the police department is not
investigating it the way they should. and is determined to find out what happened.
This is when she finds out that someone out there doesn't want her to do
Billie
Feb 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Aoife rushes in to clear her mother-in-law's name. But why is it that Maura's story concerning Danny's disappearance doesn't quite add up?
Aoife's investigation uncovers old secrets, long-held jealousies, and lies upon lies. With every new revelation, Aoife realises she doesn't know her f
Dawn
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
an interesting who did it with the interactions of a family rift and hard feelings all thrown in for additional drama. Just when the reader thinks he or she has it figured out, another twist takes you down another path. This is a very intriguing mystery with plenty of emotions to go around.
Kay J
Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery-thriller
What a book, what a story! My goodness edge of my seat with this one. Thoroughly enjoyed this read. So good Val Collins did fantastic job
Kimberly
Dec 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Book Sirens for the free digital ARC in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

Only Lies Remain is a Psychological Thriller that had me hooked from the start. I love a book that keeps me guessing and this one did just that. I never guessed who was responsible until the very end. Well written and an enjoyable read.
Heather Gadd
Feb 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2020
A page-turner from beginning to end, this quick read is everything you want when you reach for a crime mystery. The characters and situations are relatable, realistic, and well fleshed out. Scenes evoke a myriad of emotions and reactions. Intrigue and surprises at every turn, and an ending not even I could predict. This book is very well written and satisfying.
DeAnna Ellison
Jan 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
I devoured this book in a couple sittings, I absolutely loved it. It started off with a bang and kept me at attention through out, I’m so used to more long and drawn out mystery novels it was really nice to read one that kept moving so quick. My hats off to the author for creating such a genuine and relatable main character, I really do enjoy reading about Aiofe and can’t wait to see if she continues on more adventures. It was fun and twisted and had a very intriguing cast of characters.For all ...more
Mackenzie RM
Feb 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-arcs, stand-alones, 2020
What an incredible read!

I’m sitting here shook at the events that led up to the ending of this novel.

Wow.

It starts off quite innocuously. A story of a father, Danny, who one Saturday afternoon seems to vanish into thin air. The family believes that he’s deserted them...but fifteen years later, they learn that something far more sinister had happened. He’s been murdered, and his body has just been found.

As an investigation is launched to get to the “bottom” of this murder mystery, it reveals to
Super*BETA*Reader
Mar 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing

Wow! I finished this book in one sitting and what a rollercoaster! I like to think I'm quite switched on when it comes to "whodunits" but there were so many twists I truly didn't expect the ending. Not only is this is a book that will keep you on the edge of your seat, but it's also brilliantly written. There were only two things I would have liked to have seen done differently. The first is that it would have b
Jannelies
Feb 07, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: booksirens-2020
A fast-paced read with lots of interesting underlying problems in what seems to be a big and happy family.
I really liked the way some characters could be very outspoken and the family dynamics were very clear from the beginning.
Despite all this, I gave the book 3 starts instead of 4 because sometimes I had to read back because there are so many characters in this book that it can be confusing. It is sometimes hard to remember who is who and I think the book could have done with a family tree.

Th
Tina
When Danny Walsh disappeared, everyone assumed he abandoned his family. That assumption quickly changes when his body is found fifteen years later. As his wife Maura becomes the main suspect in his murder, estranged family members and other characters from the past resurface with old rumors, secrets, and jealousies.

Aoife doesn’t believe for a second that her mother-in-law Maura killed anyone. Even as Maura’s version of the story changes, Aoife stands by her and rushes to clear the woman’s name.
Ashley
Feb 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book honestly blew me away and sadly, I almost refused to finish it after 50 pages.

I struggled a bit with the way it was written and seemed leap ahead a lot but I grew to greatly appreciate it after some time. This isn’t like most books where you are fed a bunch of useless, boring information. It immediately hooks you on the second page with the investigation being opened.

There was never a dull moment. There was always someone Aoife was questioning for more information, or the detective c
Hanlie
Feb 15, 2020 rated it liked it
"it's not like I wanted to kill him. These things happen...... It was fate. His and mine. You can't fight fate. You just have to accept it"

A great mystery thriller that's keeps you guessing till nearly the end.

The remains of Danny Walsh is found 15 years after everyone thought he ran off. Who killed him and is it linked to money going missing at the bank where he worked? Who had been sending his wife money every month?

Aoife is caught in the middle of things. Trying to help her mother in law and
Bridget Waters
Feb 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book draws you in immediately. I like the fact that the characters aren’t confusing and it takes little explanation to figure who each person is. The story starts off with finding out that Danny died 15 years ago, which is a contrast to what everyone believed which was he ran off. The main character Aoife seems to be the glue in the family. She helps her mother in law and her husband.

There’s plenty of secrets going around and plenty of people to feel suspicious of. Aoife’s strange boss, he
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Lies She Told
  • Ayesha at Last
  • Every Little Secret
  • The Child Across the Street
  • Whispers Boxed Set: Books 1-3 (Whispers, #1-3)
  • Porter's Lodge (Sins of the Father, #1)
  • A Predator and A Psychopath
  • Little Girls Tell Tales
  • Winter's Journey
  • Whose Greater Good?
  • Window of Time (Window of Time #1)
  • The Owl Field
  • The Goodbye Party
Val Collins is the author of the award-winning psychological thrillers GIRL TARGETED and the No. 1 international best seller ONLY LIES REMAIN, both of which feature heroine Aoife Walsh.

She has lived in Ireland her entire life, and graduated from University College Dublin. She enjoys chocolate, going for long walks in the countryside, seeing as much of the world as possible, meeting friends, writi